X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Youngstown's Covelli Center holds 6,300 for an end stage concert.

Toledo's Huntington Center holds just under 7,300 for an end stage concert.

I didn't look up ticket prices. I think I looked up the Erie, PA show and the only tix available were on the secondary market. That arena holds 9,000 for concerts.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Interesting.

I'd have to imagine that since 1996, after 20 years of having performed in makeup, pretty much everybody who ever wanted to see KISS in makeup playing the 1970s catalog has done so by now. At least in terms of causal fans.

Plus, Stanley's voice is getting pretty knackered.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
        Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by Terry
        Interesting.

I'd have to imagine that since 1996, after 20 years of having performed in makeup, pretty much everybody who ever wanted to see KISS in makeup playing the 1970s catalog has done so by now. At least in terms of causal fans.

Plus, Stanley's voice is getting pretty knackered.
        A lot of us old school fans have stopped going, mainly because we can't take Tommy and Eric in Ace and Peter's makeup. It just rubs me the wrong way. If they had created new characters or dumped the makeup again, it would have been one thing. But to use the makeup and have Tommy copying Ace's solos note for note? That's just a rip off.
        Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Keeping the makeup at this point makes lots of sense. It's like Slipknot, those guys are all in their 40s now but behind masks who cares?

The surprising thing is not having new designs for new members, you would think that Simmons would be all over anything that could affect ticket sales and that one seems a no brainer...

Comment

• Etienne
            Commando
            • Aug 2010

Desmond Child (John Charles Barrett) is a hit-machine par excellence. Especially during the eighties almost no songwriters could resist his assistance.

Comment

• vandeleur
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Sep 2009

I think the term is poop machine ... Do you guys have doggy bags where you come from , you know to take With you when you walk the dog
              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Etienne
                Commando
                • Aug 2010

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  Keeping the makeup at this point makes lots of sense. It's like Slipknot, those guys are all in their 40s now but behind masks who cares?

The surprising thing is not having new designs for new members, you would think that Simmons would be all over anything that could affect ticket sales and that one seems a no brainer...
                  Yeah, they designed makeup for Vinnie Vincent and Eric Carr, even though it only lasted a year or two before they took the makeup off in the 80s. And then played musical chairs with the lead guitarist slot for a while. Maybe the current scabs should be wearing their makeup if Chaim is too lazy to come up with new designs?
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Gene probably figured they'd sell more merch with the classic designs. He'd spend too much money designing new characters and may not get much of a return on his investment.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                      A lot of us old school fans have stopped going, mainly because we can't take Tommy and Eric in Ace and Peter's makeup. It just rubs me the wrong way. If they had created new characters or dumped the makeup again, it would have been one thing. But to use the makeup and have Tommy copying Ace's solos note for note? That's just a rip off.
                      That whole scab business bugged me too, initially.

My viewpoint started to change a bit after I got KISSology 3 and watched the various concerts from 1996, 1998 and 2000, and hearing Ace's abilities slowly waning. Plus, Ace left the group in 2001, or 2002 (or whatever it was). That was his choice to do so. As for Peter Criss, it's safe to say he wouldn't be able to have stayed with the group much longer than he did anyway even if Stanley hadn't canned him. The guy can't physically get through a full set, and hasn't been able to for close to a decade now.

Yeah, I'm an old school fan, too. And it also strikes me that having Thayer and Singer up there wearing the classic makeup is somehow wrong, even though I honestly think on a technical level Thayer and Singer are able to play the material much better than Frehley and Criss would have been able to by the time 2004 rolled around. I mean, for sure Tommy is copying Ace's solos note-for-note, but he is copying the technical level of 1970s Ace.

I also think the amount of old school fans who have stopped seeing the band over the last 12 years or so due to the scabs is probably less than the amount of casual fans still willing to pay money to see the band who don't really care as much. And I don't think the interest level these days would be much higher than it is currently even if Ace and Peter HAD stayed: eventually, the amount of people willing to pay money to see them would have tapered off regardless.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Yeah, I'm done going to see them.... Haven't seen them since I took my youngest boy on the '04 tour, and happened to get on their tour DVD for a couple seconds....

Not really surprising if you subscribe to them on FB and know how active they use it, but one thing I do like that they're doing on this smaller tour is their use of Facebook Live both before and during the shows.... Lots of behind the scenes stuff....
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• WARF
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

My two favorite KI$$ albums are LICK IT UP and CREATURES IN THE NIGHT.
                          I love Vinnie Vinnie. The 70s stuff was great but after Lick it up they out out a bunch of clunkers.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by WARF
                            My two favorite KI$$ albums are LICK IT UP and CREATURES IN THE NIGHT.
                            I love Vinnie Vinnie. The 70s stuff was great but after Lick it up they out out a bunch of clunkers.
                            Creatures was a good album.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• WARF
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                              Creatures was a good album.
                              Vinnie Vincent saved KI$$ and in the words of Gene Simmons.... Vinnie could run circles around Ace Frehley. I guess he was just impossible to work with. I love the invasion albums as well. Prefer Mark Slaughter on vocals though...

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Vinnie's problem was that he turned into a useless drunk even faster than Ace did. Not only got him booted from "KISS" but then from his own band, which then became a total cheese ballad bubble gum act.

I wonder how many people bought a "Slaughter" album thinking the name sounded "metal" only to find a bunch of songs for 13 year old girls on the record.
                                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...