Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,600 of 2094

Thread: KISS News Bits

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    Paul and Peter dressed up like the Nazi SS officers too, plenty of pics out there. Gene singles Ace out because he won't bow to him and it pisses him off. Ace is as much of a nazi as Gene is. Jimmy Page toured in Zep with a nazi officers hat on, is he a nazi too?
    Jimmy Page wasn't in a band with two Jews. So while him wearing Nazi shit could be considered offensive and definitely in bad taste, at least he wasn't spitting in the faces of his own bandmates.

The Sex Pistols wore some Nazi shit on stage on occasion as well, and wrote a song about a concentration camp called "Belsen Was a Gas", but I doubt they meant anything by it either. Actually, Rotten's "swastika" t-shirt also said "Destroy" on it, so it was clearly anti-Nazi.. Then again, Johnny might have always been trying to piss off his manager Malcolm McLaren, who despite his very Scottish name, was himself Jewish. (McLaren would have no room to complain on those grounds as he used the Soviet hammer & sickle symbol to promote the New York Dolls during his brief stint as their manager.)
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

Ze germans!

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Paul and Peter dressed up like the Nazi SS officers too, plenty of pics out there. Gene singles Ace out because he won't bow to him and it pisses him off. Ace is as much of a nazi as Gene is. Jimmy Page toured in Zep with a nazi officers hat on, is he a nazi too?
    Let's not forget Lemmy. He wears Nazi shit. Gene is probably a Massad agent.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ze germans!

Vie have vays of making you talk!
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-02-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sign ze papers old man and ve let you live.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    An SS dager and a Wheremacht cap. Can we say mix and match?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Geezus... OK they're all fucking nazis then?

Maybe they can cover this song on their next scab album......

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Sign ze papers old man and ve let you live.

Ha! ha! That's one of my favorite Cheech and Chong routines.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-02-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2021 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

http://music.yahoo.com/news/kiss-pau...ing-stone.html

The bitterness between the current and former members who founded Kiss will not be quelled anytime soon. It's been a little over a week since the group announced that it would not perform "in any lineup" at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, following Ace Frehley's comment that he would not perform with current guitarist Tommy Thayer wearing Frehley's sometime makeup. Now, in a new interview with Guitar World, vocalist-guitarist Paul Stanley has derided Frehley's talent.

"What we had at the beginning was magical. . . Ace and I played great together," Stanley said. "But in my mind it's a crime what Ace did: He threw away incredible potential and talent. The Ace I played with when the band first started out was a comet – and not [Frehley's late-Eighties band] 'Frehley's Comet!' But he was burning bright and really had the ability – and this would rub him the wrong way – to be a real contender. But he stopped practicing. He got involved with a whole lot of things that really diluted and diminished his craft. I saw that comet grow dim.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrMaddVibe View Post
    Last year...

Look at all the people there that night!
    man...Paul went from one of the greatest live voices ever (the revenge performance doesn't need a single overdub and is more than excellent) to a dave alike trainwreck these days. saw them last summer in Berlin (to show my daughter an old school rockshow) and it was painful embarrasing to hear Paul struggle through the songs. his voice is gone for good.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmar View Post

The bitterness between the current and former members who founded Kiss will not be quelled anytime soon. It's been a little over a week since the group announced that it would not perform "in any lineup" at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, following Ace Frehley's comment that he would not perform with current guitarist Tommy Thayer wearing Frehley's sometime makeup. Now, in a new interview with Guitar World, vocalist-guitarist Paul Stanley has derided Frehley's talent.

"What we had at the beginning was magical. . . Ace and I played great together," Stanley said. "But in my mind it's a crime what Ace did: He threw away incredible potential and talent. The Ace I played with when the band first started out was a comet – and not [Frehley's late-Eighties band] 'Frehley's Comet!' But he was burning bright and really had the ability – and this would rub him the wrong way – to be a real contender. But he stopped practicing. He got involved with a whole lot of things that really diluted and diminished his craft. I saw that comet grow dim.
    More propaganda from them trying to discount Ace/Peter making the scab band the best there ever was.

12. Thanked indeedido for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (03-10-2014)

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

More propaganda from them trying to discount Ace/Peter making the scab band the best there ever was.
    You got that right ! A couple assholes.

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

ERIC CARR's Heirs Sue KISS Over Unpaid Royalties
    NYPost link

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    ERIC CARR's Heirs Sue KISS Over Unpaid Royalties
    NYPost link
    Again. A couple assholes !!!! A band I never cared for. Thank god. Ace do me a favor and don't EVER play with those idiot's again.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmar View Post

How about you go put the X in Sex or Huh All Night...or whatever lame shit you do Paul.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 11:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    How about you go put the X in Sex or Huh All Night...or whatever lame shit you do Paul.
    Hey, those songs kick ass

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Guess I jumped the gun - according to Blabbermouth, Eric Carr's
    family did not file the lawsuit against KISS - link

"This proceeding was filed by a non-related third party without any
    knowledge, authorization or consent of anyone in the Carr family."

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,613 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    nice helmet
    Don't say that to the guy at the next urinal!

21. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (03-12-2014)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,448 Posts

DocLove.jpg
    Well, I've finally found Doctor Love:

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

As you can probably imagine, looks like a good chunk of Paul's book will be an Ace/Peter slamfest.....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...0140331?page=2

Peter posted a sign every day counting down the number of days left on the Farewell Tour. He started painting a teardrop below his eye. I thought it made him look like Emmett Kelly's famous Weary Willie character, the tragic clown who toured with the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. And as for the rest of his makeup, it was as if he had forgotten how to do it. He started to look like a panda bear, with big rectangles around his eyes.

The tour was horrible. Constant drudgery and misery. We spent all of our energy trying to coax Peter and Ace out of their hotel rooms. Ace sucker-punched Tommy at one of the shows. Peter had his usual handbook detailing how hotel staff had to treat him and which windows had to be covered with tinfoil and all that. There was no reasoning with either of them. We never knew if we'd make it to a show on time, and once we got onstage we never knew whether we'd get through the show. I mean, if a guy has trouble putting on his makeup, how is he going to play? Not surprisingly, the shows could be pretty awful.

I was angry at Peter and Ace for being disrespectful toward everything we had accomplished and everything the fans were giving us. I bought into the idea that this really was it. The end of Kiss. There was no place to go. it was unbearable.

We were stuck in a rut musically as well – basically playing the same 17 songs we'd taught them for the initial reunion. This was the third tour with the same set list. Peter and Ace just couldn't master any more. The needle was already into the red. I had to come up with nonsensical interview responses to questions about why we were playing the same songs. I couldn't just say, "because Peter and Ace can't learn any others."

One night during a show Doc McGhee tried to get my attention from the side of the stage, gesturing up at me and holding his nose.

Huh?

"You stink!" he yelled. I walked over to him during a break between songs. "What did you say?"

"You stink!" he repeated. "Fucking Peter is playing too slow," I told him. Doc ran around behind the drum riser and started making the same gesture at Peter. "Peter, you're playing too slow!" "Well, so are they!" Peter shouted back. "What are you talking about?" Doc screamed. "You're the fucking drummer!" Another night Peter had a new problem. He stopped playing in the middle of a song and just held his sticks up and looked at me like a deer in the headlights. I yelled, "Play!" and started tapping my foot so at least he would start hitting the drums again. That happened on more than one occasion.

A well-known musician – who had seen the band many times – approached me one night and said, "I can't come to any more shows. It's just too painful to listen to."

The worst feeling was reading reviews trashing the shows and thinking, "That's spot on." It was such a shame because the band could have been great and wasn't. The drama offstage and the hostility and resentment and backstabbing was taking a heavy musical toll. And then there were the drugs. When Ace had an off night and made a lot of mistakes, we would joke that his mixture was off.

It would have been great to go out in a blaze of musical glory; instead, we were dragging our asses. At one point we put aside a few days to brush up on songs and tighten things up. Ace didn't show for one of the rehearsals. He said he wasn't feeling well because he had Lyme disease – an illness brought on by the bite of a deer tick. Peter, brainiac that he is, said, "That's bullshit! He was never bitten by a deer!"

Am I living in an insane asylum?

On August 11, 2000, we had a show in Irvine, California, after a week off. Ace had spent the week in New York. We had a rule that if anyone was going to fly cross-country on a commercial flight to get to a gig, he had to get there a day in advance – just to be safe, in case there was a storm or a mechanical issue or whatever. We didn't want to have to cancel shows.

The day before the Irvine show, Tommy had arranged for a limo to pick Ace up and take him to his flight. He always had the limo show up hours early because it was the same chore to get Ace out of his house as it was to get him out of a hotel. Then all of us sat around waiting for updates on Ace's progress. Ace's pickup was schedule for noon East Coast time.

At 1:30 P.M. Tommy called the limo. "Mr. Frehley needs to get going."

"Um, sir, he hasn't come out of the house yet."

Another half an hour passed. Tommy and Doc tried to get Ace on the phone, calling his house. No answer. After calling his house five more times, they finally got him on the line.

"Ace, you have to get in the car – you're going to miss your flight."

"There's a problem . . . uh . . . and i'm sick . . ." Millions of excuses. They kept rescheduling Ace on later and later flights. The limo went back each time. it got to be 7 and then 8 P.M. "Passenger has not left his house, sir," reported the limo driver each time.

Tommy managed to get Ace on the phone again. "There's one more flight out tonight, last one."

"Okay," said Ace. "I promise."

But again at the appointed time, nothing happened. "Passenger still not out of house, sir."

Flight missed.

The next day was the show. Ace started the day on the other side of the country. By some minor miracle, however, he made it to the airport in the morning, was met by the on-site rep, and was escorted onto his plane.

Traffic from LAX airport to the venue was going to present a serious problem. So we arranged for a helicopter to sit at Terminal 4, where Ace was arriving, and shuttle him to the venue by air. That way he could probably make it in time for the concert.

Then we got a call. "Well, there's good news and bad news."

Okay.

"The good news is that Ace really is on the plane. The bad news is that the plane has a mechanical problem and is delayed." At that point Doc told Tommy to drop what he was doing and get to the venue. He was going to have to play the show.

We traveled with a Spaceman outfit custom-fitted to Tommy – as an insurance policy. A brand new outfit, boots and all, tailored to Tommy always came along in one of the wardrobe crates. We knew Tommy could do it, but he had never actually done it.

"You guys are like superheroes," said Doc. "So Tommy Thayer is playing Batman today? It's still Batman."

Tommy got made up and dressed. And meanwhile we were geting updates on Ace's location as the start time of the show approached. He's landed . . . passenger is in helicopter . . . 50 miles away. . .

Ace walked into the dressing room about 20 minutes before the show was scheduled to start. He looked at Tommy – fully dressed and made up, with his guitar on, ready to go – and just said, "Oh, hey Tommy, how you doin'?"

We delayed the show an hour, Ace got into his makeup, and we played the concert.

The fact that we traveled with a costume for Tommy didn't seem to faze Ace. He thought it was a ploy – something between a joke and an empty threat. But we were 100 percent ready to go on with Tommy. We didn't have him suit up to teach Ace a lesson; we did it because we had a concert to play. The same reckless behavior that had led to a decades-long downward spiral was threatening to sink the ship. Here was a life preserver.

Still, Ace continued to think and act like he was irreplaceable. He continued to show total disregard for everyone else, continued to act as if we were blessed to have him. He congratulated himself on making it to the show.

"This will not do," Doc said to me and Gene. "These guys are just terrible. I run a management company, not the Red Cross. They don't send me into destroyed countries to rebuild things. I don't save people. You have to make changes."​

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-25-2024 @ 04:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I couldn't care less But in short, in case you are just joining us in this thread... Paul and Gene are "no bullshit" dudes while Ace and Peter are full of bullshit and destructive devices. They all got what they deserve. I would lose my patience with undependable drug addicts. Without stating the obvious I know who I would believe.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Notice Paul said it was the third tour since the reunion? That was never supposed to happen but they kept trying to milk it. Ace and Peter were miserable at that point so yeah they probably did act irresponsibly. Of course, had they just up and quit mid tour because they couldn't handle it anymore....well i'm sure you can imagine what Paul and Gene would have said.

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

This never ending bashfest from Paul and Gene is boring. It's like they have to continuously hammer away at them in order to validate two scabs dressed in Ace and Peter's makeup. Just design new makeup for both, and there wouldn't have been any issue with the old guard fans. But they didn't. Know why? Because the old makeup is recognizable and that means $$$. Bottom line. Stop acting like this was all about Ace and Peter and their (alleged) self destructive ways. You knew what you were getting when you reunited, and kept doing it for years after it was supposed to end, because the $$$ kept rolling in.

28. 5 users say thank you to Mr. Vengeance for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (04-04-2014),indeedido (04-11-2014),katina (07-11-2014),sonrisa salvaje (04-04-2014),Terry (04-06-2014)

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The KISS RS cover story is on-line - link
    Also, 18 Things You Learn Hanging Out With Kiss - link

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Rolling Stone cover story - link.

18 Things You Learn Hanging Out With Kiss - link.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ze germans!

Here's an interesting interview done with Ace back in 2011 for his book. He addresses what happened with the incident and Gene is sort of full of shit by singling out and just blaming Freely. The guy next to him is Paul Stanley, apparently, and Peter Criss was also in on it after a show in Japan. He talks about towards the end and regrets it...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 04-06-2014 at 04:43 PM.

32. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

katina (07-11-2014)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-29-2016 @ 10:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Here's an interesting interview done with Ace back in 2011 for his book. He addresses what happened with the incident and Gene is sort of full of shit by singling out and just blaming Freely. The guy next to him is Paul Stanley, apparently, and Peter Criss was also in on it after a show in Japan. He talks about towards the end and regrets it...
    Judging from Pete's book, Ace, Peter and Paul all dressed up as nazis as a stupid little joke thing but Peter and Ace took it to the next extreme by knocking on Genes door and screaming "YOU VILL GIVE ME YOUR PAPERS OR VE VILL THROW YOUR JEWISH ASS INTO THE OVENS!!" Paul of course dropped the act and reamed them both a new one about how Genes mother is a holocaust survivor.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Meh. All of the back and forth between Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter has become just as stale as the reunion itself was by the year 2000.

Great reunion in the first couple of years of it, though. KISS came back in a big way in 1996, and it took all four of the original members to make it happen. The band/brand name is still limping along, but at this late date what are these four guys even exchanging barbs over anymore? I doubt Peter Criss could physically get through an entire set today even if everyone in the band (Gene and Paul, basically) wanted him to rejoin the group. Peter wasn't happy in 2003 on the last tour because Ace wasn't there anymore. Peter was also having physical difficulties getting through sets. Cold as it may be, Gene and Paul made a decision to not renew Peter's contract and got Singer in there. It probably extended the life of the band for another decade. Frehley left on his own accord a year prior to Peter's departure in 2003. So the band got Tommy Thayer in there to keep the band performing and making money. Far as the scabs using the old makeup and costumes, so what? Didn't Criss and Frehley sign away their rights to that stuff? Nobody is forcing people to go see scab KISS. As long as the demand is there, Gene and Paul will keep playing as long as they are physically able to. What the fuck else are Gene and Paul supposed to do? Playing in KISS is the one thing they CAN do and get paid handsomely for it. Everyone in the band has egos. Gene is greedy. Paul is a control freak. Criss likes to still blather on about how he was 'responsible' for KISS's most commercially successful single. Frehley liked to drink. All of them like to complain about the others. Blah blah blah.
    I dunno. At one point I was kinda saddened by the way the reunion went sour as Frehley and Criss eventually left the band - again - but it gets kinda hard to be in my mid-40s and still be bothered enough to get into a tizzy about if someone has the 'right' to wear a makeup design. I mean, am I the only one who thinks Eddie Trunk needs to grow up about this KISS biz? Like, even if Frehley and Criss HAD stayed in the band through today, I doubt I would be seeing KISS shows anyway...so what does it matter if Singer and Thayer are there instead?
    I loved KISS when I was a kid in the 1970s. I still like the records and still watch the various KISSology dvds every now and then. But the band have stuck around a bit beyond their sell-by date for my tastes.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

I agree with most of that Terry, but it really does seem like a sheisty move to have the make-up designed by Peter and Ace themselves to fit their personalities be traipsed around by others. In a slight comparison, one I comically said somewhere on here already, I hardly think it would appear proper to see Wolf in VH, rolling around on the floor with a mullet and a JD bass. The '96 reunion was pretty fantastic for me. Being 27 at the time, it was nice to get closure with seeing my childhood heroes on stage. I wasn't quite old enough to see them back when my bedroom walls were so covered in KISS posters, you couldn't see the wall paper. It all has lessened and cheapened and suckened as the years have gone by, and you are correct. The band have "stuck around a bit beyond their sell-by date" in my opinion, too. But now, their playing with fire, literally, and making such a mockery of their existence, that the magic they once made is becoming an after thought. A back seat story to the bullshit. That's just a shame. Kinda like a different version of the VH debacle. Why can't these rock n' roll clowns all be perfect like us??

36. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-09-2017)

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2017 @ 10:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Had a bit of a Tweet chat with Senor Trunk on this KISS clusterfuck......

http://eddietrunk.com/46-back-from-p...-hof-tms-more/

I will be live on SiriusXM tomorrow 6-10P ET on channel 39 TRUNKNation (Hair Nation). Ace Frehley will be in studio around 6:15PM ET. MUCH has gone on around Kiss and the HOF induction which is this Thursday. We will get into all of it. So much has been said from so many sides last couple months. Sucks as Kiss fans waiting so long for this not only are we getting no performance but the sniping has really been pretty brutal. TodayÂ’s NY Post story with Paul the latest example (in the News section). Not sure any band has gone into the HOF with this much drama before. Hopefully at least for a few minutes they can stand at the podium and make their speeches and then be done with this. It has certainly not been the celebration Kiss fans have hoped for fighting to finally see this day. More to come no doubt and we will discuss with Ace and let you speak with him as well tomorrow on Eddie Trunk LIVE TrunkNation!

@EddieTrunk "Not sure any band has gone into the HOF with this much drama before". The Van Halen circus sure came close, did it not Ed?— Roth Army (@Roth_Army) April 6, 2014

@Roth_Army I think this is worse than all and the HOF producer told me as much. Gets more intense as it gets closer— Eddie Trunk (@EddieTrunk) April 7, 2014

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Chump is a Chedhead, so as far as he's concerned, Sammy and Mikey being there was all the "Van Halen" he needed.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'd also have to say that Debbie Harry dissing her fellow actual Blondie band members right on stage was fairly "dramatic". Guess I'll give Chaim a little credit for at least not waiting until the ceremony to shit all over Ace & Peter this time.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,613 Posts

USA Today did a story on KISS last week, and Paul and Gene were trying to justify why everyone should be inducted. I see their point, but someone remind them that more kids picked up a guitar because of Ace Frehley, and not because of Bruce Kulick. Or worse...Vinnie Vincent.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I agree with most of that Terry, but it really does seem like a sheisty move to have the make-up designed by Peter and Ace themselves to fit their personalities be traipsed around by others. In a slight comparison, one I comically said somewhere on here already, I hardly think it would appear proper to see Wolf in VH, rolling around on the floor with a mullet and a JD bass. The '96 reunion was pretty fantastic for me. Being 27 at the time, it was nice to get closure with seeing my childhood heroes on stage. I wasn't quite old enough to see them back when my bedroom walls were so covered in KISS posters, you couldn't see the wall paper. It all has lessened and cheapened and suckened as the years have gone by, and you are correct. The band have "stuck around a bit beyond their sell-by date" in my opinion, too. But now, their playing with fire, literally, and making such a mockery of their existence, that the magic they once made is becoming an after thought. A back seat story to the bullshit. That's just a shame. Kinda like a different version of the VH debacle. Why can't these rock n' roll clowns all be perfect like us??
    I can dig where you're coming from.

Up until now, I have as yet to read an interview where Gene and Paul own up to the fact that by the time 1994 and 1995 rolled around, they were doing KISS Konventions because they could no longer get promoters to book KISS in venues of any decent size. To be fair, Ace and Peter were playing clubs at this point, but do Gene and Paul really think they'd have gotten as much of an extension on the life of the band had the 1996 reunion not happened?

Personally, Ace and Peter were my favorite members of the band when I was a kid in the 1970s. The reality of it is Criss was asked to leave in 1980 because he was too fucked up to contribute to the band in any meaningful way. The rest of the band were nice enough to allow Criss to say he left because he wanted to, but even Criss admits that wasn't the reality of it. Ace ended up bailing because he didn't like the musical direction of the band. Hey, fair enough. Again, these are my two favorite members of the group, but all four members have said that this is how the initial splits happened. On the surface, the monetary split from the reunion tours seems more than a bit skewed, but I think Paul and Gene have a point that Criss and Frehley weren't reliable and it was Gene and Paul that were on the hook to the promoters if KISS failed to perform. Criss decides to bail on a tour several years after the reunion began because he doesn't like his cut of the profits, then Gene and Paul do what they have to and get Singer onstage in the Catman makeup, then Criss goes and bitches about THAT!

It's kind of a case where between the four original members, as far as I can tell they all have valid points about their gripes toward each other. It's a shame in a way, but it kind of tracks back to a notion I have that certain rock bands weren't really designed in such a way to age with grace. In fact, damn few of them do. I mean, when I see pics of Stanley and Simmons now in their 60s still prancing around onstage in their old getups, it feels awkward looking at them (regardless of whatever money they're making). If anything, Ace and Peter should be happy they're not in the group anymore...and not having to deal with Stanley's control issues and Gene's greed. But, whatayagunna do, right?

I suppose it's not really up to me to say the band should pack it in or not. If people wanna see them perform, god bless. I just can't get psyched about the group still carrying on, scabs or no scabs.

43. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (04-08-2014)

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I used to love Kiss. I mean really loved them. Then I turned twelve.

45. 13 users say thank you to lesfunk for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (04-18-2014),Angel (04-08-2014),DavidLeeNatra (04-26-2014),DLR Bridge (04-08-2014),FORD (04-07-2014),Nickdfresh (04-08-2014),Nitro Express (04-08-2014),sonrisa salvaje (04-09-2014),SunisinuS (04-10-2014),Terry (04-08-2014),VAiN (04-08-2014),vandeleur (04-08-2014),Zing! (04-08-2014)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

LMFAO!!

47. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

sonrisa salvaje (04-09-2014)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

When i was a kid i thought Kiss were done when Dynasty came out and I Was Made For Loving You was a top 40 hit. I don't think a lot of people gave them a chance after that and i can't say that was unfair based on the merits of Unmasked and The Elder. It is a damn shame, however, that more people didn't hear Creatures of the Night. That record should have restored their status but, i guess, at that point no one cared. After that they just flamed out. IMO Lick it Up, Animalize, Asylum, Crazy Nights and Hot in the Shade were just bad. Had they put the makeup back on then without Ace and Peter i don't think they would have sold one extra ticket. Ace and Peter coming back and putting on the makeup made people want to see them again...at least one more time. It restored their reputation but everyone knew that shelf life was going to be short. Gene and Paul, supposedly the savy businessmen they are, had to know that. They also should have known that by continually extending the tours to milk the cash, keeping in mind Ace's demons and Peter's history, they were brewing a recipe for disaster. As Terry pointed out, it doesn't affect me because i was only going to go see them once. What they are doing now feels more like a charade.

49. Thanked sonrisa salvaje for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (04-18-2014)

Thread Information