Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silverfish
    Foot Soldier
    • Mar 2007

Finally got around to watching the KISS 2020 Goodbye concert in Dubai..

I fired up the ol' VLC Player and see it's 3:15 long - wow, should be quite a show!
    Turns out it wasn't all concert and after a while I started taking notes. Didn't keep
    track of times until a little while in but it doesn't matter I suppose. Here's what I
    got:

Begins with Concert Promo video - not bad
    "Arrival" segment - US to Dubai airports
    "commercials"
    11:00 - "Production" segment w/engineers, pyro, "smart" COVID wristbands (which
    were actually pretty cool as far as contact tracing goes)
    23:30 - commercials
    26:00 - "Taking Care of Business" - (stage build, pods, pyro)
    38:30 - KISS clip montage of classic TV appearances, commercials, parades, etc.
    Many had (EliteWorks@e-bay) "watermark" on them
    45:00 - Doc interview
    53:30 - interview with 3 fans (they pay VIP to be included in this 5 minute segment?)
    58:00 - show begins with Detroit Rock City
    58:53 - after the line "I feel uptight on a Saturday Night", Paul says something (looks
    like "How you doin'?") - you see it but you can't hear it.
    2:46 - encores begin, but first...
    3:00 - A rep from Guinness World Records comes out and says that the show was trying
    for 3 World Records. The first 2 are still being verified but the final one (some pyro thing)
    was reached and (SURPRISE!) he had a certificate to present to the band. And Eric had
    finished Beth - seeing him next to Gene in his monster heels was kinda amusing.
    Maybe a subliminal depiction of status in the band?...
    3:03 - R&R All Night and fireworks display
    3:12 - God Gave R&R to You plays over the credits (I like their version of this song)

Other observations not noted above:

- Too lazy to go back and listen but I swear there is a guitar lick in Heaven's On Fire
    that borrows from Joan Jett's I Hate Myself For Loving You. And "borrows" might be
    being generous... Anyone want to confirm?
    - Some lyrics were changed (for this show or do they do that now in a PC world?). No
    "virgin soul" in God of Thunder - instead we got "mortal coil" or something. And I
    think there was at least one other I neglected to note - maybe in "Cold Gin" (but it wasn't
    the booze reference)
    - Paul's between song stage banter really needs an audience to "work". I'm a longtime
    fan and acknowledge it's on the cheesy side but it was kinda cringe-worthy when even a
    minor "Lemme hear you out there!" is met with a barely audible "yeah".
    - Beth. With all the jump cuts (or whatever you wanna call 'em) throughout the show,
    this one only featured cameras showing him behind the piano. On drums he had an
    overhead camera (which woulda been cooler if they would have left it there for more than
    4 seconds) but here, nope. And I'm guessing the orchestral drums/percussion was a tape.
    - Maybe you guys can tell if the vocals/music was live but except for the 58:53 note
    I mentioned above, eh, who knows...
    - Do You Love Me included in the encores. I always liked this tune and was happy to
    see it included. Considering their catalog I woulda expected it sooner with some other "big"
    song in it's place
    - After watching, I was left with the feeling that this was a "dress rehearsal" for an actual
    show. I've seen them in 1978, '79, '84, '88, '90, and '96 and this show seemed to lack the
    "spontaneity" or live feel of any of those. Or is that how "polished" they have become? Are
    they now a "production" and not a "concert"? I realize that it's tough for any act to fill the
    seats (especially a "classic rock" act) but this one was tough to watch at times. On the other
    hand, at a non-COVID show they might blow my doors off, right?...

Wrap up:
    My guess is KISS will always have someone who wants to see them live. Their fanbase has
    been exposing their kids to KISS music for years and some of it has probably stuck in their
    heads. Not quite cult-like but it's on the verge. We talk here of the future of VH and what's
    gonna happen (my guess - we never see another Van Halen band perform on stage) but I'm
    really more interested in the future of KISS. I can absolutely see Gene charting the future
    of the band with other members (hell, they're half way there!) - his kid, Paul's kid. I think
    he's looking at the big picture (he always has) and I must admit I would curious to see KISS
    v2.6 or whatever we're at. Maybe not live at a venue but just to see how it plays out.

That's all.
    [edit - I watched this on the Bay. 7.5G]
    Last edited by silverfish; 02-27-2021, 04:13 PM.
    Originally posted by sadaist
    I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The lyric changes were likely a request (mandate?) from the Muslims.

I watched some of it on YouTube. Really weird with the usual banter and no audience replies.
      Last edited by twonabomber; 02-27-2021, 04:29 PM.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
        The lyric changes were likely a request (mandate?) from the Muslims.

I watched some of it on YouTube. Really weird with the usual banter and no audience replies.
        They tell me there's a lotta you people out there tonight who like to drink Vodka and Camel Juice...
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• silverfish
          Foot Soldier
          • Mar 2007

Also forgot to add - production-wise this seemed to be a massive undertaking.
          Pretty impressive that they made it through with no major glitches.
          Yeah, it's KISS but can you see any other band trying to pull off a show like this?

And yeah, forgot to mention the Rat crew guy with the sleeve tats.
          Nothing against tats or crew guys but he would not be on my list of hires.
          Something about him rubbed me wrong - maybe based on the "Arrival" segment
          when he's walking through the airport with his mask below his nose. Might be the
          best at his job but I'd interview #2 just to be safe.
          I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• silverfish
            Foot Soldier
            • Mar 2007

Too lazy to see if this video has been posted previously but...

When Kiss Classic ‘God of Thunder’ Left Paul Stanley ‘Devastated’
            Frontman hoped his track would become his signature song - until
            producer Bob Ezrin gave it to Gene Simmons. - link

Man, some wild disco high-hat action going on here...

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Well, I was at work today and the missus called me up and said she wanted to go see KISS, being that she's never seen them. She said tickets for the show in our area went on sale this morning and were available for purchase. I roll my eyes and ask when and where the show is. It's on a Saturday night at the local amphitheater about 6 miles from our house, and she can get us two tickets for $120 total.

So, she and I are going to see KISS on October...9th(I think)?

I'm not even sure if Roth is still slated to open for them that many months ahead (and frankly seeing Roth live nowadays...a bit more ugh than yay), but...well...at least I'll know most of KISS's setlist (long as they don't play any tracks from Sonic Boom or Monster)...so there's that...I guess...

I did always want to see KISS in makeup. Have only ever seen them once in 1985 on the Asylum tour. Ace and Peter obviously aren't there anymore, and truth be told if my wife hadn't expressed a desire to go I certainly wouldn't have, but I'll go and try to have some fun anyway.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Well...the first leg of the End Of The Road tour had a guy painting to loud music as the opener.

I think I'd rather see bad DLR than a guy painting.
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Well...the first leg of the End Of The Road tour had a guy painting to loud music as the opener.

I think I'd rather see bad DLR than a guy painting.
                  Dunno...these days, it might be a toss-up for me...what was the guy painting?
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I don't remember what my friend said he painted. Maybe a Hendrix portrait?

I think he's one of those guys that throws paint at a huge canvas.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

I don't remember what my friend said he painted. Maybe a Hendrix portrait?

I think he's one of those guys that throws paint at a huge canvas.
                      At this stage of the game, for what I want to get out of attending such a show (which is merely seeing 4 old schlubs in makeup miming to a bunch of tunes I have enjoyed since the 1970s while pyrotechnics go off), the choice of an opening act - or not even having an opening act at all - is irrelevant.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Paul Stanley gots the rona. Show canceled.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Nov 2004

A very serious version as Simmons got it too and he shits from his mouth.
                          Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 08-27-2021, 11:50 AM.
                          posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Why should that stop them? Just send a roadie out in his makeup. He's lip-syncing to tapes anyway, so what's the difference??
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Good for him. That Republican voting asshole.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                                Good for him. That Republican voting asshole.
                                KISS for all their assholeness at times has been very pro-vax and Gene unloaded on anti-vaxxers a few weeks ago. In any case Paul is the classier of the two and wish him well...

Comment

Working...