Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I agree with most of that Terry, but it really does seem like a sheisty move to have the make-up designed by Peter and Ace themselves to fit their personalities be traipsed around by others. In a slight comparison, one I comically said somewhere on here already, I hardly think it would appear proper to see Wolf in VH, rolling around on the floor with a mullet and a JD bass. The '96 reunion was pretty fantastic for me. Being 27 at the time, it was nice to get closure with seeing my childhood heroes on stage. I wasn't quite old enough to see them back when my bedroom walls were so covered in KISS posters, you couldn't see the wall paper. It all has lessened and cheapened and suckened as the years have gone by, and you are correct. The band have "stuck around a bit beyond their sell-by date" in my opinion, too. But now, their playing with fire, literally, and making such a mockery of their existence, that the magic they once made is becoming an after thought. A back seat story to the bullshit. That's just a shame. Kinda like a different version of the VH debacle. Why can't these rock n' roll clowns all be perfect like us??

Comment

• tbone888
      Roadie
      • Feb 2012

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Had a bit of a Tweet chat with Senor Trunk on this KISS clusterfuck......

I will be live on SiriusXM tomorrow 6-10P ET on channel 39 TRUNKNation (Hair Nation). Ace Frehley will be in studio around 6:15PM ET. MUCH has gone on around Kiss and the HOF induction which is this Thursday. We will get into all of it. So much has been said from so many sides last couple months. Sucks as Kiss fans waiting so long for this not only are we getting no performance but the sniping has really been pretty brutal. TodayÂ’s NY Post story with Paul the latest example (in the News section). Not sure any band has gone into the HOF with this much drama before. Hopefully at least for a few minutes they can stand at the podium and make their speeches and then be done with this. It has certainly not been the celebration Kiss fans have hoped for fighting to finally see this day. More to come no doubt and we will discuss with Ace and let you speak with him as well tomorrow on Eddie Trunk LIVE TrunkNation!

@EddieTrunk "Not sure any band has gone into the HOF with this much drama before". The Van Halen circus sure came close, did it not Ed?— Roth Army (@Roth_Army) April 6, 2014

@Roth_Army I think this is worse than all and the HOF producer told me as much. Gets more intense as it gets closer— Eddie Trunk (@EddieTrunk) April 7, 2014
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Chump is a Chedhead, so as far as he's concerned, Sammy and Mikey being there was all the "Van Halen" he needed.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'd also have to say that Debbie Harry dissing her fellow actual Blondie band members right on stage was fairly "dramatic". Guess I'll give Chaim a little credit for at least not waiting until the ceremony to shit all over Ace & Peter this time.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

USA Today did a story on KISS last week, and Paul and Gene were trying to justify why everyone should be inducted. I see their point, but someone remind them that more kids picked up a guitar because of Ace Frehley, and not because of Bruce Kulick. Or worse...Vinnie Vincent.
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                I agree with most of that Terry, but it really does seem like a sheisty move to have the make-up designed by Peter and Ace themselves to fit their personalities be traipsed around by others. In a slight comparison, one I comically said somewhere on here already, I hardly think it would appear proper to see Wolf in VH, rolling around on the floor with a mullet and a JD bass. The '96 reunion was pretty fantastic for me. Being 27 at the time, it was nice to get closure with seeing my childhood heroes on stage. I wasn't quite old enough to see them back when my bedroom walls were so covered in KISS posters, you couldn't see the wall paper. It all has lessened and cheapened and suckened as the years have gone by, and you are correct. The band have "stuck around a bit beyond their sell-by date" in my opinion, too. But now, their playing with fire, literally, and making such a mockery of their existence, that the magic they once made is becoming an after thought. A back seat story to the bullshit. That's just a shame. Kinda like a different version of the VH debacle. Why can't these rock n' roll clowns all be perfect like us??
                I can dig where you're coming from.

Up until now, I have as yet to read an interview where Gene and Paul own up to the fact that by the time 1994 and 1995 rolled around, they were doing KISS Konventions because they could no longer get promoters to book KISS in venues of any decent size. To be fair, Ace and Peter were playing clubs at this point, but do Gene and Paul really think they'd have gotten as much of an extension on the life of the band had the 1996 reunion not happened?

Personally, Ace and Peter were my favorite members of the band when I was a kid in the 1970s. The reality of it is Criss was asked to leave in 1980 because he was too fucked up to contribute to the band in any meaningful way. The rest of the band were nice enough to allow Criss to say he left because he wanted to, but even Criss admits that wasn't the reality of it. Ace ended up bailing because he didn't like the musical direction of the band. Hey, fair enough. Again, these are my two favorite members of the group, but all four members have said that this is how the initial splits happened. On the surface, the monetary split from the reunion tours seems more than a bit skewed, but I think Paul and Gene have a point that Criss and Frehley weren't reliable and it was Gene and Paul that were on the hook to the promoters if KISS failed to perform. Criss decides to bail on a tour several years after the reunion began because he doesn't like his cut of the profits, then Gene and Paul do what they have to and get Singer onstage in the Catman makeup, then Criss goes and bitches about THAT!

It's kind of a case where between the four original members, as far as I can tell they all have valid points about their gripes toward each other. It's a shame in a way, but it kind of tracks back to a notion I have that certain rock bands weren't really designed in such a way to age with grace. In fact, damn few of them do. I mean, when I see pics of Stanley and Simmons now in their 60s still prancing around onstage in their old getups, it feels awkward looking at them (regardless of whatever money they're making). If anything, Ace and Peter should be happy they're not in the group anymore...and not having to deal with Stanley's control issues and Gene's greed. But, whatayagunna do, right?

I suppose it's not really up to me to say the band should pack it in or not. If people wanna see them perform, god bless. I just can't get psyched about the group still carrying on, scabs or no scabs.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• lesfunk
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I used to love Kiss. I mean really loved them. Then I turned twelve.
                  http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

LMFAO!!

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                      Veteran
                      • Jun 2005

When i was a kid i thought Kiss were done when Dynasty came out and I Was Made For Loving You was a top 40 hit. I don't think a lot of people gave them a chance after that and i can't say that was unfair based on the merits of Unmasked and The Elder. It is a damn shame, however, that more people didn't hear Creatures of the Night. That record should have restored their status but, i guess, at that point no one cared. After that they just flamed out. IMO Lick it Up, Animalize, Asylum, Crazy Nights and Hot in the Shade were just bad. Had they put the makeup back on then without Ace and Peter i don't think they would have sold one extra ticket. Ace and Peter coming back and putting on the makeup made people want to see them again...at least one more time. It restored their reputation but everyone knew that shelf life was going to be short. Gene and Paul, supposedly the savy businessmen they are, had to know that. They also should have known that by continually extending the tours to milk the cash, keeping in mind Ace's demons and Peter's history, they were brewing a recipe for disaster. As Terry pointed out, it doesn't affect me because i was only going to go see them once. What they are doing now feels more like a charade.
                      RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                      LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

KISS at the podium. Gene says: "We wouldn't be here today without the original fantastic four."

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • May 2010

Fuck Kiss. Rush knows more notes than Gene Simmons knows hairpies. And I am sure played them better.

But Peter Gabriel....had better outfits than all of Kiss....and he belongs there for sure.

YES.

And fucking a hippie chick would never have been possible without Cat Stevens.
                          Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-10-2014, 10:16 PM. Reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTz2TDr79eI
                          Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• silverfish
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Mar 2007

Loved this Gene tweet after the HoF Ceremony:

"Quick question, did @PeterCriss really drop his HOF award and break it? __YES"
                            Originally posted by sadaist
                            I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I thought Tom Morello's induction speech was fantastic.

Comment

• Von Halen
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Saw Kiss for the first time on December the 6th 1977 at Henry Levitt Arena in Wichita, KS.

Saw Kiss for the second time on October the 12th, 1979 at the Kansas Coliseum in Wichita, KS.

Comment

Working...