X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Bug
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

KISS Allied With HS Football Team Back In 1970s

A couple hundred miles from the mean streets of Detroit Rock City, there was - still is, actually - a sleepy town on the edge of the Manistee National Forest up in northwest Michigan named Cadillac. Why they named their town after a car brand, we’ll never know.*

Anyway, the local football team, after a period of success, was struggling during the mid-’70s, and nobody was having any fun anymore. One assistant coach suggested introducing rock music to the locker room, settling on the dulcet tones of Gene Simmons and KISS. The experiment worked, if by “worked” you mean horribly… oh, wait, it actually did work, and the story eventually turns into what must have been one of the top 5 most badass high school moments of all time.

The MORNING SUN (MI) has the story of that fateful 1974 Cadillac team and the rock band who dared to care right back:

While coming up with an idea of whose music to play, [assistant coach Jim] Neff thought of band he had seen open for the New York Dolls. Their name was Kiss. Their elaborate stage show featured shooting flames and special effects, and their raucous, high energy music was bound to get the team pumped up. In addition, their name, spelled out in all capital letters, was the same as their saying in football, “Keep It Simple, Stupid.”

“So I thought, this is the perfect band,” Neff said.

So it turned out to be, with the team regaining its winning ways and head coach Dave Brines keeping in contact with the band over the project. Brines even took a few players down to a KISS show in Detroit, which would probably have been the coolest thing they could have imagined would come from the simple decision to get some rock going in the locker room.

And it would have indeed been the coolest… until local school administrators tried the “let’s not say ‘no’ to anything at all” plan, and KISS actually came to town:

Then in the fall of 1975, Neff saw that Kiss would be playing at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo right around the same time as homecoming. An idea of having a couple of the band members come up to a pep assembly and sign autographs evolved into having them bring the entire concert to Cadillac.

School Superintendent William Smith and Cadillac High School Principal John Laurent signed on to the plan, and the rest was history. Or as their fans call it, Kisstory.

Kiss cut a ribbon at the school’s door to mark their entrance, and followed a whirlwind schedule that included meeting with the football team, photos with the team and cheerleaders, and meeting students in the hallways.

That evening, Gene Simmons ignited the bonfire with his fire-breathing trick, although a confederate offered some help behind the scenes.

Awesome, yes. In fact, let’s go one better and show some actual footage from their visit.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R9zGQLBGPTQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&featur e=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R9zGQLBGPTQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&featur e=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The next day, Kiss was offered the key to the city at a breakfast complete with city officials in Kiss face paint. Neff sported Kiss makeup along with City Manager Don Mason, Mayor Pete Wagner, his wife, Smith, Brines and Laurent.

That afternoon the band had its own float in the homecoming parade.

Take notes, because nothing like this will ever happen in public schools ever again.

And this is Reason #5,242 why we’re sure we were born about 20 years too late.
    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
      Veteran
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by indeedido
      anyone notice $cab KI$$ has new costumes right, well as new as they are, Thayer still has nothing original. His pants are a tribute to Ace's current outfit.

Hate to say it and no disrespect but Thayer looks like Tommy Lee in Kiss makeup in this photo. Ace just looks badass. (No disrespect to Tommy Lee that is).
      RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
      LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

In Tommy's defense, Poj and I saw them in Greensboro in '03 when they toured with Aerosmith... We had seats right next to the side ramps.... Tommy came up there a few times right next to us and really seemed to be a cool guy...

Just sayin'....
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• indeedido
          Veteran
          • Feb 2004

Nice guy or not, he's a scab. He cannot be proud of what he's doing. Sure he's making some nice dough, but he has to be humiliated most of the time. He's a trained monkey
          This space for rent.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think it's disgraceful what they've done to Ace and Peter...

But don't blame Tommy and Eric, you know as well as I do that's Paul and Gene's doing all the way...
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• WACF
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              Oh, don't get me wrong, I think it's disgraceful what they've done to Ace and Peter...

But don't blame Tommy and Eric, you know as well as I do that's Paul and Gene's doing all the way...
              No point in either of them giving up the paycheque....someone is going to collect.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

No problem with either one of them. I accepted Eric when he was in the band for Revenge, but he was Eric Singer-NOT the Catman.

Thayer in Black n' Blue was fine, but NOT the Spaceman.

It's the $$$ factor from Gene that kills me.
                Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

It's just the blatantly greedy attitude of both Gene and Paul, coupled with a real lack of originality and sense of adventure.

I contrast what is happening now with the beginnings of the band, back when they were willing to take a chance, do something different, play and perform like they had nothing to lose and go for broke.

Now, the band is totally safe, barely willing to make new music (2 albums in ten years is a pathetic output) and the band exists for no other reason than to keep Gene and Paul living the high life.

Eric Singer is a talented drummer who could go out and tour with just about any other established band. That was true before KISS, just as it was true when I saw him playing with Alice Cooper in 2007.

Tommy Thayer is just an Ace Frehley clone. Beneath contempt and barely worth mentioning.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Full Bug
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

KISS - Fan-Filmed 1976 Black And White Live Footage From London, Ontario Unearthed

October 04, 2009

YouTube has once again proven its worth, as three black and white fan-filmed clips of KISS performing in London, Ontario on April 24th, 1976 have been unearthed and posted online. The tracks on offer are 'Deuce', 'Flaming Youth' and 'Strutter'. Check them out below.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_7TnpnifrRE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en& feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_7TnpnifrRE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en& feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5iu3ZHd8atg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en& feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5iu3ZHd8atg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en& feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AGz3rCEg1xg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en& feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AGz3rCEg1xg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en& feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

As previously reported, to get fans pumped up for the release of the new KISS album, Sonic Boom, the band are featuring exclusive in-studio video clips at the KISSonline Sonic Boom page. Check out the latest clip below:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tB1yPzPrZKQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en& feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tB1yPzPrZKQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en& feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

According to The Late Night TV Page, KISS will be guests on the Late Show With David Letterman on Tuesday, October 6th.
                    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• indeedido
                      Veteran
                      • Feb 2004

sweet find!
                      This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
                        Veteran
                        • Feb 2004

I think this was a month after Destroyer was released. Interesting too that they are not wearing the Destroyer costumes.
                        This space for rent.

Comment

• rothdaddy
                          Groupie
                          • Sep 2004

I am listening to Kiss Alive II right now. Does anybody out there in van halen land think that a Kiss/Van Halen tour for spring/summer 2010 kick ass? Darn ganja got me thinking...

Comment

• Mr Walker
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Gene was on the Stern show this morning via phone... crappy interview, Gene doing too much shtick... but Gene did plug Ace's new solo CD by name, I thought that was pretty cool of him.

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

via phone? they're on Letterman tonight, Gene shoulda got his ass to the studio.
                              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                                via phone? they're on Letterman tonight, Gene shoulda got his ass to the studio.
                                Paul and Gene were supposed to come in together but didn't... Stern claims it was because Gene and Paul can't stand each other and Gene said it was because Paul didn't want to do the Stern show.

Comment

Working...