Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,200 of 2094

Thread: KISS News Bits

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to jhale667 for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (01-05-2013),fraroc (01-05-2013)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-29-2016 @ 10:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

THERE IS KISS EVERYTHING!!!!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The two of them were certainly wasted a lot during those years. Always funny that when they made the Phantom of the Park movie, Ace was so out of it, they just cut most of his dialogue and told him to make funny noises, while Peter was so messed up he couldn't deliver a line properly, and then all his lines had to be dubbed by some voice actor, since Peter refused to do the overdubs himself.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

I hear ya 4th. I remember going to see Alice Cooper, Ace and Faster Pussycat in '88. Ace never even made to the stage. He sure knows how to party. Unfortunately, he also knows how to disappoint his fans in the process.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Vengeance View Post
    The two of them were certainly wasted a lot during those years. Always funny that when they made the Phantom of the Park movie, Ace was so out of it, they just cut most of his dialogue and told him to make funny noises, while Peter was so messed up he couldn't deliver a line properly, and then all his lines had to be dubbed by some voice actor, since Peter refused to do the overdubs himself.
    All he did was say "AWK!!!" Like a parrot during conversations in that time so they made his character into an intergalactic Harpo Marx.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

He was here in Gnashville at a tattoo/horror movie convention or some shit at some point in 2012. Friends who went to see him said that any comments made to him about "You are such an inspiration to me" or "I am a big fan" were met with derisive or dismissive comments.....and comments indicating he really did not want to be there. In fact, at one point the first day of the convention, I heard his appearance had been canceled for unknown reasons, only to find out on Sunday he was in fact there.

Too bad. He was my first guitar teacher. The first album I tried to master was Kiss: Alive! Naturally, as a beginning guitarist, I aspired to be able to play his solo note-for-note.

Due to his attitude, if I never meet him in my life, it will not bother me in the least.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

After reading your stories of Ace being late and not showing up at shows, I also would have been disappointed.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katina View Post
    After reading your stories of Ace being late and not showing up at shows, I also would have been disappointed.
    now be in a band with him...having contracts, tours with venues up to 15.000 waiting for you. I would fire that jackass personally! sorry to side with the "bad guys" here, but without the drugs and the alcohol Ace would still be playing in that band, it was his choice. Ace flushed his carreer in KI$$ down the toilet. can't blame the others to go on. have tix for next summer, will go with my daughter...

I had to deal with drunk fucks on stage, too. this is not what people payed their hard money for. whatever you drink or smoke or take...plug the fuck in and play...ace didn't so they KI$$ed him good bye...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    now be in a band with him...having contracts, tours with venues up to 15.000 waiting for you. I would fire that jackass personally! sorry to side with the "bad guys" here, but without the drugs and the alcohol Ace would still be playing in that band, it was his choice. Ace flushed his carreer in KI$$ down the toilet. can't blame the others to go on. have tix for next summer, will go with my daughter...

I had to deal with drunk fucks on stage, too. this is not what people payed their hard money for. whatever you drink or smoke or take...plug the fuck in and play...ace didn't so they KI$$ed him good bye...
    It´s great that you will go with your daughter to the Kiss show, I saw them less than two months ago, I invited a close friend who never have seen them before, and he was hooked, he couldn´t believe the great number of children with their families at the show, we had an awesome time.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post

Odd...my understanding was that Frehley LEFT the band of his own accord in 1982 AND 2002...

I mean, doubtless to a couple of guys who don't drink or use drugs, Simmons and Stanley would have unamused by Frehley's behavior, and understandably so...but I was always under the impression from what I've read that Frehley quit twice and Criss was fired twice.

In a larger sense, I guess it really doesn't matter that Stanley and Simmons opted to go on. I mean, realistically, what the fuck else are they gonna do at this stage of the game that's gonna make them the kind of money they make playing in the old makeup?

Honestly, even if Criss and Frehley did rejoin the band again and the group embraked on what was honestly a final tour. I wouldn't be bothered enough to go. I love what the band did in the 1970s and will still throw in the old records or watch the old footage once in awhile, but as far as seeing them in the here and now the thrill is gone for me: watching any band punch a clock and go through the motions for the money, where half the members can't stand being around each other...why bother?

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Odd...my understanding was that Frehley LEFT the band of his own accord in 1982 AND 2002...

I mean, doubtless to a couple of guys who don't drink or use drugs, Simmons and Stanley would have unamused by Frehley's behavior, and understandably so...but I was always under the impression from what I've read that Frehley quit twice and Criss was fired twice.

In a larger sense, I guess it really doesn't matter that Stanley and Simmons opted to go on. I mean, realistically, what the fuck else are they gonna do at this stage of the game that's gonna make them the kind of money they make playing in the old makeup?

Honestly, even if Criss and Frehley did rejoin the band again and the group embraked on what was honestly a final tour. I wouldn't be bothered enough to go. I love what the band did in the 1970s and will still throw in the old records or watch the old footage once in awhile, but as far as seeing them in the here and now the thrill is gone for me: watching any band punch a clock and go through the motions for the money, where half the members can't stand being around each other...why bother?
    Ace left after Elder in 1981, not 82. Remember it was Vinnie Vincent who played on Creatures of the Night. But because Paul didn't think up of the Egyptian God makeup for Vinnie, the album pictured Ace Frehley.

I do NOT EVER expect the original lineup to tour again. At the absolute most, they'll probably suck it up for a single final show and that's the end of Kiss.

And about Ace being a dick to fans, well even though Ace is a very funny man, keep in mind he DID dress up in an authentic Nazi uniform and scream "GIVE ME YOUR PAPERS! I VILL KEEL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!" right in Gene's face, something that even though Gene is a major cheap-ass dickhole, I do find to be rather innapropriate and strangley symbolic. Also fans do say that Paul Stanley and Eric Carr were the friendliest members of Kiss.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fraroc View Post
    Ace left after Elder in 1981, not 82. Remember it was Vinnie Vincent who played on Creatures of the Night. But because Paul didn't think up of the Egyptian God makeup for Vinnie, the album pictured Ace Frehley.

He left but then came back. I guess the plan was to have Ace play on the Creatures tour. Vinnie played solos on the album and Paul did a lot of the guitar work. Producer Michael James Jackson has said that Ace did play a little bit on the album. You may recall though that Ace appears in the video for I Love It Loud, but Paul plays the solo, since Ace wouldn't mime a solo by Vincent. Ace also did some other promo appearances for the album but he clearly wasn't well, because of the booze. He left and Vinnie toured.

I believe that contractually, Ace had to appear on the album cover since he was still officially a member of KISS.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He left but then came back. I guess the plan was to have Ace play on the Creatures tour. Vinnie played solos on the album and Paul did a lot of the guitar work. Producer Michael James Jackson has said that Ace did play a little bit on the album. You may recall though that Ace appears in the video for I Love It Loud, but Paul plays the solo, since Ace wouldn't mime a solo by Vincent. Ace also did some other promo appearances for the album but he clearly wasn't well, because of the booze. He left and Vinnie toured.

I believe that contractually, Ace had to appear on the album cover since he was still officially a member of KISS.
    I think one of the only songs in which Paul played lead guitar was "A World Without Heroes" from Elder, which was actually not a shabby solo at all. Even though probably no one thinks that Paul is the best guitarist for Kiss, Paul had the potential to become just as good as Ace or Vinnie on guitar, but he willingly chose to ignore that gift he had

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fraroc View Post

I do NOT EVER expect the original lineup to tour again. At the absolute most, they'll probably suck it up for a single final show and that's the end of Kiss.

And about Ace being a dick to fans, well even though Ace is a very funny man, keep in mind he DID dress up in an authentic Nazi uniform and scream "GIVE ME YOUR PAPERS! I VILL KEEL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!" right in Gene's face, something that even though Gene is a major cheap-ass dickhole, I do find to be rather innapropriate and strangley symbolic. Also fans do say that Paul Stanley and Eric Carr were the friendliest members of Kiss.
    Paul dressed up in nazi clothes too and so did Peter. Jimmy Page used to wear the nazi officers hat on stage.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ace was a drunk for sure but I've never heard or seen a show where he couldn't play with Kiss. Maybe he coked it up after he got drunk and pulled it around. lol

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    Paul dressed up in nazi clothes too and so did Peter. Jimmy Page used to wear the nazi officers hat on stage.
    Not merely the hat alone. Check out the trousers tucked into the jackboots as well, believe it or not.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's quite a goose step!

19. Thanked indeedido for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (01-06-2013)

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

To be honest, Creatures was a lot like the Rolling Stones' Black and Blue, in that both albums were recorded while a member was having to be replaced, and there were a lot of guest guitarists. Vinnie only played the leads on 5 songs. There were about 5 other guys who played on the album, including some guys who played bass.

One of the things about the KISS box set that came out about ten years ago was, in one way, it was terrific, because you had all these rare tunes and the booklet with band commentary on every song. On the other hand it was bewildering because as a fan, you learned that so many of their songs, including some major hits didn't have the four guys playing on it. It would be Paul and Gene and some session guys. Credit them for listing all the names, but it was a bit of a shock to some long time fans who weren't aware of how little they were a "band" in studio. The "reunion" album, Psycho Circus apparently had so little of Ace and Peter on it, it's almost criminal that they called it a reunion.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fourthcoming View Post
    For all intents and purposes.....Ace was on his way out around Kiss Alive II. Bob Kulick recorded Rocket Ride.....the best tunes on Dynasty and Unmasked were Ace's tunes.....and he barely contributed to The Elder....and I don't blame him one bit. Bob Ezrin killed that band....everyone loves destroyer....It's a good album but for me personally the first 3 and Kiss Alive! are there best stuff. Ezrin also did The Elder.....need I say more? I could side with Ace a little more if he didn't piss his career away during the 80's and 90's. I'm glad I was able to see the true reunuion in 1996 though....it was like seeing Kiss Alive! and it was great. Creatures was a great comeback album....too bad that was the album they should have made instead of Ezrin's awful The Elder. It's not that The Elder is so horrible, it's just not a Kiss album....it's Kiss trying to be Pink Floyd....who Ezrin also produced.
    You're partially right but it wasnt Rocket Ride, that was Ace all the way. Ace didnt play on the other new songs on Alive II. Bob Kulick and Rick Derringer did. The reason they did the solo albums in '78 was because Ace wanted out. They talked him into staying and they said lets take a break and all do a solo album and come back. Ace was the only one that had success. Ace also played on The Elder. They actually cut a lot of what he recorded because it was supposed to be a rock album. When Ezrin got a hold of it it changed to what we know. When Ace heard the final version he was so pissed he quit. But he played on each track.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    ELVIS, has a Frehley's comet poster in his bedroom on the ceiling before he goes to sleep....
    Yeah well Frehleys Comet is better than Kiss. By a mile.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    You're partially right but it wasnt Rocket Ride, that was Ace all the way. Ace didnt play on the other new songs on Alive II. Bob Kulick and Rick Derringer did. The reason they did the solo albums in '78 was because Ace wanted out. They talked him into staying and they said lets take a break and all do a solo album and come back. Ace was the only one that had success. Ace also played on The Elder. They actually cut a lot of what he recorded because it was supposed to be a rock album. When Ezrin got a hold of it it changed to what we know. When Ace heard the final version he was so pissed he quit. But he played on each track.
    Ace has said on many occasions that when he got the final version of the Elder sent to him, he took the tape and smashed it into the wall.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ace has said on many occasions that when he got the final version of the Elder sent to him, he took the tape and smashed it into the wall.
    Pretty much my reaction, as well. After listening to it about 5 times trying to force myself to like it (a practice that was repeated some 16 or 17 years later with VH III ), I first used it like a Frisbee for a while, and when that wasn't satisfying enough, I blew it up with some left over M-80s from the last 4th of July.

Yup, that was $8.99 I'd never get back.

25. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

indeedido (01-07-2013)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well, depending upon which source you read, Ace actually recorded some overdubs for Creatures Of The Night OR he didn't play on the album at all.
    However, Ace DID appear with the band on a promotional European press jaunt (as well as appearing in the I Love It Loud video)...so while he technically may not have recorded with the band after The Elder (am unsure if he contributed anything to the then-new KISS Killers tracks), he was in the group for publicity purposes. The reason for that was because KISS were in the midst of suing their record company, Polygram (who bought out Casablanca in the early 1980s). Polygram had signed KISS fully aware that Peter Criss was leaving the group. However, the Polygram contract stipulated that the remaining three (Gene, Ace and Paul) had to remain in the group for the royalty rates to remain intact. Basically, KISS was trying to pull a fast one on Polygram for as long as they could until the lawsuit KISS brought against Polygram (involving Casablanca shlocking KISS albums Casablanca without the bands consent) could be settled.
    Once Polygram eventually found out that Ace WAS gone, the KISS contract (rates for royalties and advances on records) was adjusted downward for Gene and Paul (Vinnie Vincent and Eric Carr were paid salaries).
    Last edited by Terry; 01-07-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    You betcha, eh. I liked that album!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Well, depending upon which source you read, Ace actually recorded some overdubs for Creatures Of The Night OR he didn't play on the album at all.
    However, Ace DID appear with the band on a promotional European press jaunt (as well as appearing in the I Love It Loud video)...so while he technically may not have recorded with the band after The Elder (am unsure if he contributed anything to the then-new KISS Killers tracks), he was in the group for publicity purposes. The reason for that was because KISS were in the midst of suing their record company, Polygram (who bought out Casablanca in the early 1980s). Polygram had signed KISS fully aware that Peter Criss was leaving the group. However, the Polygram contract stipulated that the remaining three (Gene, Ace and Paul) had to remain in the group for the royalty rates to remain intact. Basically, KISS was trying to pull a fast one on Polygram for as long as they could until the lawsuit KISS brought against Polygram (involving Casablanca shlocking KISS albums Casablanca without the bands consent) could be settled.
    Once Polygram eventually found out that Ace WAS gone, the KISS contract (rates for royalties and advances on records) was adjusted downward for Gene and Paul (Vinnie Vincent and Eric Carr were paid salaries).
    Yeah, I pretty much said that...but thanks.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Oh, but that Rock Soldiers song. So so so not good. I liked Aces format with the comet. I've got those on cassettes around somewhere. Todd Howarth helped bolster the project alright. I'm sure Ace liked the idea of not having to try to sing the whole way through a show. Todd was a 5th member of Cheap Trick when I saw them in '95 or '96. That definitely worked live. Made "Tonight It's You" sound like the record.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think I gotta upgrade my solo Ace album to CD finally. This place has got me in the mood for Rip It Out, Wiped Out, Snow Blind, Ozone, NY groove. Shit, I could barely name 1 song from each of the other solo albums. Radioactive was nice.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I think I gotta upgrade my solo Ace album to CD finally. This place has got me in the mood for Rip It Out, Wiped Out, Snow Blind, Ozone, NY groove. Shit, I could barely name 1 song from each of the other solo albums. Radioactive was nice.
    No kidding. This part of the thread made me seek out this little tune, one I have not heard in around 25-30 some odd years. By the way, I still have and occasionally wear my Ace solo album T-shirt (OK, I admit, I cut off the sleeves a while back, due to impending rotting). In fact, I wore it to our 2011 Thanksgiving gathering at a local park. And yes, I broke official protocol by showing up w/beer.

32. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (01-08-2013)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Did anybody else throw up in their mouth just a little when the Tommy Thayer Signature "Spaceman" LP was announced? Nothing against the dude personally, but it's kinda blasphemy - to even this not really Kiss fan.

34. 2 users say thank you to jhale667 for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (01-10-2013),philouze (01-08-2013)

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 08:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Did anybody else throw up in their mouth just a little when the Tommy Thayer Signature "Spaceman" LP was announced? Nothing against the dude personally, but it's kinda blasphemy - to even this not really Kiss fan.
    Uh.. just now. That don't taste good. Maybe Gene will sue him.

Banned
    Flappo's Disciple
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2016 @ 03:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

$immon$ won't sue Thayer. I'm even wondering if he's not behind this...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philouze View Post
    $immon$ won't sue Thayer. I'm even wondering if he's not behind this...
    I doubt it would never happen without Gene & Paul's OK.

Banned
    Flappo's Disciple
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2016 @ 03:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

My point exactly

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah you dont make money off KISS without them. A total dumbass "signature" guitar. I dont know why anyone would want it. Branded as the spaceman guitar because nobody knows who Thayer is!

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 11:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Really not very happy with Kiss right now.I have been religiously checking tour dates and still no UK dates.Kiss,Do not let me down now

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This is probably Gene's most genuine moment. I really believe that these were real tears of sadness and regret

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

That is the sort of moment when all else is irrelevant. For that moment, I feel for him.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yep, that moment will make the toughest guy in the world misty...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I pretty much said that...but thanks.
    Agreed...but I like the way I said it better.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 11:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Look at the latest awesome Kiss merchandise available next week

Kiss toys.jpg

Thread Information