X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Notice how Paul is the one most into this? I'm pretty sure he's sad that it's "shotgun" though...
    Actually Gene looks like he's ready to commit an act of sodomy in that pic.!
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
      Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
      Take me had a bad ass guitar riff. Danger Us does not.
      What's that have to do with the lyrics?
      Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
        Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Notice how Paul is the one most into this? I'm pretty sure he's sad that it's "shotgun" though...
        Ace is clearly not impressed with this pose.
        Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Mr Walker
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
          Seems to me those ripping the album had decided before it came out they would hate it. It's not a bad album. It's actually good. Just not great and certainly not as good as Ace's.

People REALLY are looking for deep KISS lyrics now??? Are the lyrics to "Danger Us" really that much worse than "Take Me"?
          That's not true in my case... after I heard the first single, I thought it was going to be a solid disc and then when I heard how great Ace's disc was it sort of boosted my expectations for Sonic Boom, but when I heard it... it fell flat for me.

Paul was in his 20's when he wrote the lyrics to take me... I guess I was hoping for a little bit of growth and development from a veteran and his partner who are in their 50s. If Ace could do it, I figured they could to. Gene using 'take of your clothes' as a lyric at his age is embarrassing.

Comment

• Mr Walker
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

And I also feel let down by the 'back to the 70s sound' hype... the only thing on the disc that made me think of the 70s was when Thayer copped Ace's lead lick from 'Ladies in Waiting' for one of the tracks.

I was also disappointed by Thayer's leads... it's as if he can bring nothing more to the table than trying to play like Ace. Was that the directive given to him by Paul in the studio? Even on Anomoly, Ace's leads don't sound like they did back in the day... they really seem to have progressed a bit. Thayer has no individual identity... I never really got into the whole scab basing thing, but Thayer's leads do make him sound like he is nothing more than a scab.
            Last edited by Mr Walker; 10-09-2009, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• indeedido
              Veteran
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
              What's that have to do with the lyrics?
              Nothing, just an overall commentary about the difference of a good song vs a bad song. I could give a shit less about lyrics. I really only listen to the melody and tone of a song. It could be the worlds greatest lyrics but if the music sucks, the whole thing sucks. I need a good musical vehicle and Sonic Dud doesn't have it.
              This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
                Veteran
                • Feb 2004

MelodicRock.com

KISS CHART TOPPERS?:
                Kiss look likely to take #1 spot on the Billboard 200 next week, with the release of their new Sonic Boom studio album. Foreigner will take #26 with Can't Slow Down. Good news for rock music fans. Reviews of both albums (and Lita Ford) will be online Monday.

Looks like the Wal Mart recipe pays off. WTF?
                This space for rent.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
                  MelodicRock.com

KISS CHART TOPPERS?:
                  Kiss look likely to take #1 spot on the Billboard 200 next week, with the release of their new Sonic Boom studio album. Foreigner will take #26 with Can't Slow Down. Good news for rock music fans. Reviews of both albums (and Lita Ford) will be online Monday.

Looks like the Wal Mart recipe pays off. WTF?
                  Great... positive reinforcement for a mediocre disc will ensure that we get more and more of it... but hey, I'm guilty... i bought it.

I hope all of the positive feedback on Ace's disc will motivate him to do another one in the near future (but not so soon that he winds up just spewing out filler).

I also read that Ace will be performing with Alice Cooper at the end of the month (they also played together at a charity gig in Boston not long ago). I would love to see the two of them come up with some new material together. Sure, they are both well past their prime, but it could still be very interesting and very good. 'Pain In The Neck' sounds like a lot of Alice's recent stuff... well maybe not like stuff on 'Along Came A Spider', but like stuff that was on 'Dirty Diamonds' and 'The Eyes of Alice Cooper'.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                    Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

I agree that the quality of Ace's album does make Sonic Boom as disappointment in comparison.

I thought that the KISS effort had some big sound. The production was clean. The drumming is good, since Singer is a superior hard rock drummer.

I also agree that Thayer's leads are direct Ace ripoffs. I'm almost guaranteeing that he was told to play like Ace.

But I enjoyed the album more than I thought I would.
                    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                      Sniper
                      • Feb 2007

KISS is my second favorite band behind CVH!

I really like the album. Is it better than Love Gun or Destroyer? Nope! But it's waaaay better than what I was expectng. I think if you're a "true" KISS fan, you should like it. For me, it's kinda like Diver Down.
                      https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
                      http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                        And I also feel let down by the 'back to the 70s sound' hype... the only thing on the disc that made me think of the 70s was when Thayer copped Ace's lead lick from 'Ladies in Waiting' for one of the tracks.

I was also disappointed by Thayer's leads... it's as if he can bring nothing more to the table than trying to play like Ace. Was that the directive given to him by Paul in the studio? Even on Anomoly, Ace's leads don't sound like they did back in the day... they really seem to have progressed a bit. Thayer has no individual identity... I never really got into the whole scab basing thing, but Thayer's leads do make him sound like he is nothing more than a scab.
                        It's more of a KISS tribute band than anything else, far as Thayer's participation goes.

We had one of those back in the day in the old neighborhood. This was, like, the late 1980s / early 1990s. The band was pretty good for what it was, too. They had obviously spent a few bucks on outfitting the band and simulating the classic Kiss stage experience as best they could (no small feat, considering they were a club band). Had obviously practiced a bit, as they were no slouches in terms of replicating the music as well as the stage show.

After the shows, the band would come out and have a few drinks at the bar, and all of them were the biggest bunch of arrogant assholes; like they thought they were the real band and had just headlined Madison Square Garden or something.

No matter how good they were, they were just retracing over a picture that someone else had originally painted. That's Thayer in a nutshell as long as he's wearing Ace's makeup and playing Ace's leads.

While I'm hardly a candidate for president of the Bruce Kulick or Vinnie Vincent fan clubs, both of them never pretended to be Ace Frehley.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• jackassrock
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Terry

While I'm hardly a candidate for president of the Bruce Kulick or Vinnie Vincent fan clubs, both of them never pretended to be Ace Frehley.
                          No they didn't, but that wasn't their job either. Thayer is being paid to wear the makeup and do whatever Gene and Paul tell him to do. All you guys that look down on him for that are being unrealistic. The man gets his paycheck every week to look and play like Ace Frehley, and if he took the high road as an artist and told them to piss off cause he wanted to play it different, he would be replaced by someone else who looked and sounded like Ace inside a week.

He's a guitar player for hire, nothing else. If VH called him tomorrow he'd be finger tapping in white overalls, bet.

I know what this is like. I joined a band that was established (not nearly as much as KISS obviously) and was hated at times by some for playing like myself, hated other times for just playing the original licks note for note, and loved by many for just being there so that the band could continue to play for old fans and new audiences. What are you gonna do in that situation ?
                          It's a shame that families should be torn apart by something as simple as....wild dogs

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jackassrock
                            No they didn't, but that wasn't their job either. Thayer is being paid to wear the makeup and do whatever Gene and Paul tell him to do. All you guys that look down on him for that are being unrealistic. The man gets his paycheck every week to look and play like Ace Frehley, and if he took the high road as an artist and told them to piss off cause he wanted to play it different, he would be replaced by someone else who looked and sounded like Ace inside a week.

He's a guitar player for hire, nothing else. If VH called him tomorrow he'd be finger tapping in white overalls, bet.

I know what this is like. I joined a band that was established (not nearly as much as KISS obviously) and was hated at times by some for playing like myself, hated other times for just playing the original licks note for note, and loved by many for just being there so that the band could continue to play for old fans and new audiences. What are you gonna do in that situation ?

So, the logic is that if Thayer didn't do it and someone else would, therefore scabbing Ace makes it a cool thing for Stanley and Simmons to be doing in the first place?

I would agree that Thayer is little more than an employee of the band, doing a job. Seems a shame to be discussing music in such industrialized terms, but I suppose that's the nature of the music business.

KISS are free to do what they like. As a fan of what the band was many years ago, I'm free to either accept what the band is today...or not accept it and just whine about it on the internet like the pussy I am.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                              Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Greatest KISS tribute band ever...

Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• indeedido
                                Veteran
                                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                                I really like the album. Is it better than Love Gun or Destroyer? Nope! But it's waaaay better than what I was expectng. I think if you're a "true" KISS fan, you should like it. For me, it's kinda like Diver Down.
                                Bullshit! I'm a huge KISS fan, not many bigger than me. But I do not drink the KISS Kool-Aid anymore. They fill the fans full of shit and they all choke it down. I refuse to drink it anymore. Thayer is bullshit. Period. There is no defense of that guy and what Gene and Paul are doing. I saw Thayer in his other KISS tribute band in the 90s. I thought that was ok because it was billed as a tribute band and he did an ok job. But this sham that they are doing now is wrong. Any real KISS fan should be able to see it for what it is, SCAB! Take off the makeup and move on. Stop drinking the kool-aid, sonic boom is a piece of shit!
                                This space for rent.

Comment

Working...