Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    Quite lame
    I dunno...considering how old the band's original fans are getting, this might be an astute attempt to pander to "Century Village" dwellers.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-08-2009)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    While I think Trent is a cunt, he is right on the money about Gene.

Gene is almost 60 years old (I believe he turns 60 in August).

The platforms and the makeup thing WAS ultra-cool at one time.

Not cool for a 60 year old. Gene looks like Grandpa Munster these days.

Meh.

I mean, it's pretty much just a job for Gene and Paul nowadays, isn't it? Slather on the greasepaint, play the oldies, slap the logo on something and sell it...sure beats spending time coming up with new material that probably wouldn't even shift half a million units regardless. Now that Ace and Peter aren't around grumbling about money, they were able to get a couple of clones in, put them on salary and keep the lion's share for themselves.

Personally, I have no use these days for the farce that goes by the name "Kiss" but obviously that doesn't matter to Simmons or Stanley. Their "fans" to them now are the ones who keep spending money on concert tickets and merchandise. Obviously those people are happy with what the business entity known as Kiss is doing (or, at the very least, accept the current mediocre level of output enough to keep shelling out the dollars), so why should Stanley and Simmons give a shit about what the rest of us who think they are washed-up and pathetic think? We're not the ones currently lining their bank accounts.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 03:09 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 856 Posts

I had a good nightmare about Gene Simmons the other night. I had apparently spent about $150.00 plus transportation to get to somewhere where he was doing a press thing and taking questions. Problem was, he answered everything "Yes", "No" and "Um, I think so". After five minutes of this, he gets up and leaves and says he's out of time.

So, wife in tow and yelling at me all the time, I run after him and confront him, saying "You better sign this mother fucker!" and shove something in his face. He gets scared and refuses, so I punch him in the nose.

Good part? Punching Gene Simmons.

Nightmare? Dreaming about Gene Simmons.

King Edtard
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-15-2009 @ 01:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Vengeance View Post
    Sorry..that is possibly the worst analysis of KISS and solo work ever.
    Gene's is not the best one. Ace ruled. Paul's was good pop-rock fun. Then Gene and Peter's is last.

Read my post again....I stated Paul's and Ace's Kiss solo albums are great but they would have made even better Kiss albums.....Gene's solo album was...in my opinion the best. It had familiar Kiss territory on it but it had real creative, unfamiliar territory on it too like the intro to Radioactive and the acoustic singer/songwriter, folk side too with Mr Make Believe and See You Tonight.

Gene's version of See You In Your Dreams blows the original version off Rock and Roll Over away!!!!

Ace's Comet material sucked fucking ass outside of a few songs...most of which he didn't even write. Into The Night, Do Ya Want My Love. Rock Soldiers was cool but let's face it....as a solo artist Ace blew his whole wad in 1978.....his 80s shit was a huge let down and weaker than fuck

Ace also didn't write NY Groove....those are the fucking facts whether your head is too far up Ace's ass to realize that and admit it to yourself is another story

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    09-13-2009 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davehagarfan View Post
    Read my post again....I stated Paul's and Ace's Kiss solo albums are great but they would have made even better Kiss albums.....Gene's solo album was...in my opinion the best. It had familiar Kiss territory on it but it had real creative, unfamiliar territory on it too like the intro to Radioactive and the acoustic singer/songwriter, folk side too with Mr Make Believe and See You Tonight.

Gene's version of See You In Your Dreams blows the original version off Rock and Roll Over away!!!!

Ace's Comet material sucked fucking ass outside of a few songs...most of which he didn't even write. Into The Night, Do Ya Want My Love. Rock Soldiers was cool but let's face it....as a solo artist Ace blew his whole wad in 1978.....his 80s shit was a huge let down and weaker than fuck

Ace also didn't write NY Groove....those are the fucking facts whether your head is too far up Ace's ass to realize that and admit it to yourself is another story
    I thoroughly approve this post!

7. Thanked The Elfoid_TFS for this KICKASS post:

davehagarfan (08-12-2009)

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I don't give a fuck if Ace wrote the song or not. Ace's solo album ruled and Ace's solo albums have all been good. Last time I looked you didn't have to write the song for it to be good.

I guess Burn Bitch Burn blows away New York Groove, because Gene wrote it himself?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2021 @ 10:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

KI$$ in Vega$

AMERICAN rockers Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley of the legendary Kiss rock band will make appearances in a Las Vegas live theatre extravaganza co-produced by local entertainment company Storm Lion.

This was announced on Tuesday by Storm Lion and its Los Angeles conference at The Arts House in Old Parliament Lane.

Called Kiss: Carnival Of Souls, the live show is a brainchild of Stanley and Simmons.

The latter was in town to meet potential business partners to stage the show in the region.

Set against a dark carnival, the show, named after the group's last album embarks on a journey seeking true love.

Kiss will also be recording an all-new repertoire for this production.

Dressed in jeans and black jacket, Simmons, who is Kiss' singer and bassist, says the upcoming production will be a 'fantastic production of sounds, lights and fantasy'.

Kiss go to Vegas

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

GENE SIMMONS 'Reviews' NINE INCH NAILS' Concert In Singapore - Aug. 11, 2009
    KISS bassist/vocalist Gene Simmons has posted a brief review of NINE INCH NAILS' August 10, 2009 concert at Fort Canning Park in Singapore.

Simmons, who was in Singapore on business, wrote in an apparently sarcasm-filled posting on his Facebook page, "Went to see Trent Reznor's [NINE INCH NAILS mainman] band. About 1,000 people attended the outdoor event. On other days (it's a three-day festival), it's LADY GAGA and KEANE. Band was solid. Good lights. Lots of smoke in every song. Couldn't see the band. But, boy, was there a lot of smoke. Terrific drummer, who played in perfect time with the tape loops. Good stuff... I loved it."

Reznor stated in a recent interview that he'd "never want to be Gene Simmons, an old man who puts on makeup to entertain kids, like a clown going to work."

When asked about Reznor's comments by a fan in the "Letters From Fans" section of Simmons' web site, Gene replied, "No worries. Trent grew up on KISS and cut his teeth on our toons. When he was recording 'Downward Spiral', he had two action figures on his mix console — Jesus and Gene Simmons.

"Once you're a self confessed heroin addict, who used the stuff for years, you don't look at life the way the rest of us do… I'm told.

"We all wish him well."

11. Thanked Mr Walker for this KICKASS post:

indeedido (08-12-2009)

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck Trent Reznor.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

GENE SIMMONS To TRENT 'REISER': 'If You're Going To Open Your B**** Mouth, Do It Properly' - Aug. 12, 2009
    According to AsiaOne.com, KISS' forthcoming Las Vegas show, which is estimated to cost between $40 million and $60 million, will be styled like a Cirque Du Soleil performance — with less talk by actors and more KISS songs, says vocalist/bassist Gene Simmons.

The band will combine new material with familiar classics under the direction of Simmons and KISS singer-guitarist Paul Stanley.

The production is a collaboration between Singapore entertainment company Storm Lion and American publishing company Radical.

Simmons said: "KISS is not just a brand and a band. It's the epitome of theatrical rock."

Regarding his war of words with NINE INCH NAILS mainman Trent Reznor, who recently called Simmons an "old man who puts on make-up to entertain kids, like a clown going to work," Gene said, "If you're gonna talk the talk, then you're gonna have to walk the walk. If you're going to open your b**** mouth, do it (properly)."

During his interview with AsiaOne.com, Simmons also purposely mispronounced Reznor's name, calling the 44-year-old singer "Trent Reiser." he then added, "I'm kidding. The band [NINE INCH NAILS] is actually terrific."

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No it doesn't... that turd Michael Des Barres ruins it completely!

King Edtard
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Vengeance View Post
    I don't give a fuck if Ace wrote the song or not. Ace's solo album ruled and Ace's solo albums have all been good. Last time I looked you didn't have to write the song for it to be good.

I guess Burn Bitch Burn blows away New York Groove, because Gene wrote it himself?

Ace's solo albums have all been good......

There are a couple of songs off Gene's solo album that blow away New York Groove

Burn Bitch Burn does blow away most of Ace's solo material from the 80s with the exception of Rock Soldiers, Into The Night and Do Ya...two of those songs Ace didn't even write....

King Edtard
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    No it doesn't... that turd Michael Des Barres ruins it completely!

You're out of your mind...that song kicks all kinds of ass even with Michael Des Barres...for years I didn't even know who he was...I thought Gene was doing all that vocal stuff.....he might be a turd but it sounds fucking cool....that song is the shit

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You're out of your mind...that song kicks all kinds of ass even with Michael Des Barres...for years I didn't even know who he was...I thought Gene was doing all that vocal stuff.....he might be a turd but it sounds fucking cool....that song is the shit
    I think you are just being silly.

I do agree with your assessment of Ace's solo stuff.
    The 78 solo album is great. As far as the four solo albums... on any given day I could give Ace, Gene or Paul's the top spot (Paul does lose points for the ultra-gay 'Hold Me, Touch Me'). Peter's solo CD is crap except for maybe that one ballad.
    Apart from a handful of songs on the debut Frehley's Comet LP (Into The Night, Breakout, Love Me Right & Dolls) and the track 'Words Are Not Enough' off the EP released in 88, I have no use for any of it. I'm really optimistic about 'Anomoly' though... I hope it will be good enough that I don't ignore it like 'Second Sighting' and 'Trouble Walkin'.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I always considered 'New York Groove' a novelty song and to me it always felt out of place up against the other strong material on Ace's '78 solo album.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The 78 solo album is great. As far as the four solo albums... on any given day I could give Ace, Gene or Paul's the top spot (Paul does lose points for the ultra-gay 'Hold Me, Touch Me'). Peter's solo CD is crap except for maybe that one ballad.
    Apart from a handful of songs on the debut Frehley's Comet LP (Into The Night, Breakout, Love Me Right & Dolls) and the track 'Words Are Not Enough' off the EP released in 88, I have no use for any of it. I'm really optimistic about 'Anomoly' though... I hope it will be good enough that I don't ignore it like 'Second Sighting' and 'Trouble Walkin'.
    Totally fair assessment here.

King Edtard
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm being completely serious....I love Gene's version of See You In Your Dreams...I always have....how you can't I just don't get.....when I heard the original version off Rock and Roll Over a few years later I thought it sucked and all these years later I still do...

I'm optimistic about Anomoly too but I doubt I will rush out and buy it

Peter's has grown on me over the years...it doesn't blow me away and it doesn't rock but I like some songs....Hooked on Rock and Roll, You Still Matter To Me, Tossin and Turnin', I Can't Stop The Rain....leaving KISS was the dumbest thing Peter ever did..

King Edtard
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I always considered 'New York Groove' a novelty song and to me it always felt out of place up against the other strong material on Ace's '78 solo album.

Yeah it was but it was a good song...had a great groove and the lyrics fit Ace and the band perfectly

I use to really like Ozone and Snowblind but I've grown tired of Ace's drug tripping....it's old and tired.....I like Rocket Ride, Hard Times and Save Your Love better.....even Talk To Me and Two Sides of the Coin...Ozone does have cool guitar and arrangement the lyrics are lame......Fractured Mirror is still great though

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm being completely serious....I love Gene's version of See You In Your Dreams...I always have....how you can't I just don't get.....when I heard the original version off Rock and Roll Over a few years later I thought it sucked and all these years later I still do...

I'm optimistic about Anomoly too but I doubt I will rush out and buy it

Peter's has grown on me over the years...it doesn't blow me away and it doesn't rock but I like some songs....Hooked on Rock and Roll, You Still Matter To Me, Tossin and Turnin', I Can't Stop The Rain....leaving KISS was the dumbest thing Peter ever did..
    People have different tastes. Just because YOU love a tune, doesn't mean it's great. Just because YOU hate a tune, doesn't mean it sucks. It's your opinion.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

There's not a song on Peter's solo album that I can stomach to listen to. Awful awful stuff. I never understood why he never did anymore stuff like Hooligan or Baby Driver. Those tunes rock

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

There's not a song on Peter's solo album that I can stomach to listen to. Awful awful stuff. I never understood why he never did anymore stuff like Hooligan or Baby Driver. Those tunes rock
    The four members of KISS were given complete flexibility over their respective solo albums. Just do what they felt like playing. And in Peter's case he wanted to do some jazzy, big band stuff and his usual ballads.

Guitar-driven, sound-wise, we thus heard it was Ace who really was the sound of KISS.

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I larve NIN, but Simmons pwns Reznor there...

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I agree Ace was the sound of KISS. I think Anomaly is going to rock.....Even all of Peter's post KISS solo stuff sucks. I dig his gravely voice, I'd just rather hear him sing in the vein of Black Diamond or Baby Driver.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    The four members of KISS were given complete flexibility over their respective solo albums. Just do what they felt like playing. And in Peter's case he wanted to do some jazzy, big band stuff and his usual ballads.

Guitar-driven, sound-wise, we thus heard it was Ace who really was the sound of KISS.
    Ace's 1978 solo album fucking rocked (still does).

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It was just too far off into left field for many KISS fans to accept. Not saying it was some sort of misunderstood lost classic or anything like that. At least with the 1978 Ace and Paul efforts (and parts of the Gene album), you could still hear stuff that was akin to what they brought to the band; if the best tracks were taken from each of Ace, Paul and Gene's 1978 albums, it would have made for one good KISS album.

Peter's 1978 album didn't really even have one track that would have made a good "Peter" track on a KISS album. I hated it when it first came out. Didn't listen to it for many years, snagged a second-hand copy on cd a few years ago...it's okay for what it is. In many ways, Peter and Gene really used the 1978 solo album experience to do things that one could NEVER picture them bringing to KISS to record (whereas Paul had a lot of tracks that were good, but probably would have been better had KISS recorded them), which was the whole point.

Pete just did a bunch of r & b stuff, a couple of cheesy disco-influenced tunes and some ballads. Nothing particularly memorable in terms of lyrics or vocals...or tunes. If I were in a bar or club somewhere, and a bar-band played the stuff, I'd think it was okay, but it wouldn't make me think "Jesus, I can't imagine why this band hasn't been signed yet." That's The Kind Of Sugar That Papa Likes, You Matter To Me and I Can't Stop The Rain were okay.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The only thing I can listen to on Peter's solo album is "You Still Matter to Me", and only because of its HORRIFIC level of cheese...but to be fair, I hate Gene's just as much - Paul and Ace really turned out the best of the four...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I really like Gene's album... not that it's great, not that it's bad... it's just one of those records that captured a point in my life and whenever I listen to it, it takes me back to a real nice place.

Ringo fucked Gene... Gene supposedly had Lennon, McCartney & Harrison all lined up to 'secretly' appear on 'Mr Make Believe' but Ringo said no. If you think that for one second that Gene would have kept a Beatles reunion on his solo LP a secret I have a piece of the Brooklyn Bridge to sell you.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I like Gene's solo effort too. It has a nice amount of cheese, but not too thick.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I like Gene's solo effort too. It has a nice amount of cheese, but not too thick.
    Gene really made a point to try and show off what a big-shot he was... Joe Perry, Bob Seger, Cher, Rick Neilsen, Donna Summer, Helen Reddy, Peg Fucking Bundy. All those names didn't really mean shit to a 10 year old Jersey boy (except for Joe Perry) but I guess it served Gene's massive ego well.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I really like Gene's album... not that it's great, not that it's bad... it's just one of those records that captured a point in my life and whenever I listen to it, it takes me back to a real nice place.
    I understand that better than you think. Cheers!

34. Thanked bueno bob for this KICKASS post:

Mr Walker (08-14-2009)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

KISS: New Album Title Confirmed, Track Listing Revealed - Aug. 14, 2009
    KISS manager Doc McGhee has confirmed to Classic Rock magazine that the band's new album will be titled "Sonic Bloom" and that it will be released exclusively through Wal-Mart stores in the U.S. as part of a package including a disc of re-recorded KISS classics (already available in Japan) and a live DVD.

Due on October 6, "Sonic Bloom" features the following track listing:

01. Modern Day Delilah
    02. Russian Roulette
    03. Never Enough
    04. Yes I Know (Nobody's Perfect)
    05. Stand
    06. Hot & Cold
    07. All The Glory
    08. Danger Us
    09. I'm An Animal
    10. When Lightning Strikes
    11. Say Yah

Commented Classic Rock's Geoff Barton: "KISS promised to deliver a back-to-their-roots album and that's exactly what we've got. Recorded in the old-fashioned, analog way, it sounds spectacularly good — no ProTools nonsense in evidence here.

"The interesting thing is, it's not simply a homage the band's first few albums. There are even nods to records such as [1982's] 'Creatures Of The Night', which had Vinnie Vincent on guitar. KISS seem to have cleverly combined the best of all their eras into a single winning package."

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"Sonic Boom" is official, hunh?

LMAO

Just BEGS for derision...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Doc McGhee is one of those guys that always looks like he is up to no good.

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2013 @ 07:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What I don`t get is everyone creaming themselves over Paul`s `78 solo album.

I don`t like it much.

It`s pretty one dimensional cliched rock with a really flat sound.

There are a couple of good songs ("Wouldn`t you like to know me", "Love In Chains", "Goodbye") but I`ve never thought it was even a good album as a package.

I love the other three, even Peter`s.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-03-2013 @ 05:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Doc McGhee is one of those guys that always looks like he is up to no good.
    Especially if you ever saw him with Vince, Nikki or Tommy.......

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 06:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

KISS: New Album Artwork, Audio Sample Available - Aug. 17, 2009

The cover artwork for the much-anticipated new KISS album, "Sonic Boom", can be viewed below. The CD will be released on October 6 in the U.S. and Canada exclusively via Wal-Mart, Walmart.com and Sam's Club retail locations.

"Sonic Boom", produced by guitarist/vocalist Paul Stanley in Los Angeles, is the centerpiece of a three-disc set that also features a completely re-recorded greatest hits CD (previously available in Japan) as well as a live DVD shot in Argentina during the band's recent, record-breaking KISS Alive 35 South American tour. The CD set will retail for $12, with pre-orders starting in September on Walmart.com.

KISS bassist/vocalist Gene Simmons says, "'Sonic Boom' may be the best new record we've done since 'Destroyer'! It is 'Rock And Roll Over' meets 'Love Gun'. The world's biggest retailer had better get ready for the hottest band in the world and hire more cashiers before October 6!"

Stanley adds, "Through all of the albums that are considered our classics, we tried to always find ways to give our fans extras that went beyond just the music. Besides our making the best KISS album in decades, Wal-Mart has made it possible for us to include a bonus CD with 15 of our most famous songs and an additional live DVD, shot during our recent concert in Buenos Aires. So in every sense, 'Sonic Boom' is the ultimate return to classic KISS form. You wanted the best, you got the best!"

Wal-Mart, one of America's largest music retailers, is finalizing its exciting plans now for its in-store and online destinations for KISS fans surrounding the launch of the new album and tour, and will host various KISS products in addition to their music in its stores this fall. More details on Wal-Mart KISS activity, announcements regarding album pre-sales, sweepstakes and KISS appearances will be shared shortly.

"Sonic Boom" track listing:

01. Modern Day Delilah
    02. Russian Roulette
    03. Never Enough
    04. Yes I Know (Nobody's Perfect)
    05. Stand
    06. Hot And Cold
    07. All For The Glory
    08. Danger Us
    09. I'm An Animal
    10. When Lightning Strikes
    11. Say Yeah

Re-recorded KISS classics:

01. Deuce
    02. Detroit Rock City
    03. Shout It Out Loud
    04. Hotter Than Hell
    05. Calling Dr. Love
    06. Love Gun
    07. I Was Made For Lovin' You
    08. Heaven's On Fire
    09. Lick It Up
    10. I Love It Loud
    11. Forever
    12. Christine Sixteen
    13. Do You Love Me?
    14. Black Diamond
    15. Rock And Roll All Nite

KISS bonus live DVD track listing:

01. Deuce
    02. Hotter Than Hell
    03. C'mon And Love Me
    04. Watchin' You
    05. 100,000 Years
    06. Rock & Roll All Nite

A one-minute audio sample of "Modern Day Delilah" can be streamed in the YouTube clip below.

Stanley recently stated that "Sonic Boom" is "right up there with our best." He added, "As much as we may have tried at some other times to achieve this, the chemistry, lineup or lack of total commitment from everyone might have been cause for it being impossible. Not now. Not this time.

"Before we began the album, I said I was only interested in doing it if I produced and we followed set ground rules; total commitment by everyone, pure guitar-driven KISS, no outside writers, no outside players and my opinion and say would always be final. All said yes and I know we'd all say we've never had more fun together.

"All four of us made this our priority. Everyone was involved ever day. From the first day of writing to the last day of recording, everyone was there giving 100% to making this the album we knew we had in us. I've never seen Gene [Simmons] more selfless (yes... Gene!), focused or harder-working. His bass playing, songs and overall contribution help to make this the album you've wanted for so long. Without his spirit, this wouldn't have been possible.

"As far as Tommy's [Thayer] guitar playing, he took this chance at bat to consistently hit it out of the park. His playing is fiery and rooted firmly in our history, while making his own mark. Tommy's singing, writing contributions and total involvement made clear what's been missing for so long.

"In the twenty years I've known Eric [Singer; drums], I've never seen him this relaxed or creative. His playing is the foundation of our next step forward. Relentless and full of spit and swagger. Many lead singers don't have Eric's chops or range. He's singing great on his track and all over the album."

In a recent posting on the band's official web site, Simmons wrote, "The entire writing and recording process of ['Sonic Boom'] harkened back to an earlier, more innocent time. A time that produced albums such as 'Rock And Roll Over' and 'Love Gun'. And, the new songs have that feeling, I have to say.

"It all started with a point of view Paul had. The view had to do with ignoring the times, ignoring the critics, not over thinking who and what we are... and that we had nothing to prove to anyone.... nothing. We have been releasing albums and touring for 35 years and why wouldn't we want to do an 'honest' record. Just do it!!! And, he wanted to produce the album himself!!!

"While it's true in the past we had produced KISS records together. And we had both produced other acts outside of KISS. But here was Paul saying he wanted to shoulder the responsibility and burden of steering the good ship KISS on his own.

"He was serious. And I saw it was real. I saw the commitment he was going to make to the album and the band... and I agreed. We all trusted each other and saw the same vision of the band... and perhaps democracy is overrated... and sooner or later, someone had to decide.

"And I will tell you here and now, he's done a great job.

"The process of writing songs involved both writing separately, but often, in hotel rooms and rehearsal halls, literally starting from scratch and throwing riffs and chords at each other. Then working on melody and lyric...starting alone, then bringing it into the rehearsal halls and even during recording, we would often critique the lyrics all the way down to the last minute.

"Tommy really stepped up in the songwriting area....co-wrote some songs with us and actually sings his first song on a KISS album. Eric, likewise was always encouraging and of course, provided his always dependable bombastic drumming style. But unlike other drummers, Eric is also a great singer. Wait until you hear him tear it up on his lead vocal.

"What else, you ask? Well, Paul and I trade vocals on a few tunes and had a lot to say about each other's songs... Result? Maybe the best record we've done in 30 years. Bold statement? You bet."

Classic Rock magazine's Geoff Barton, who heard six of the album's cuts during an exclusive listening session in London last week, said, "KISS promised to deliver a back-to-their-roots album and that's exactly what we've got. Recorded in the old-fashioned, analog way, it sounds spectacularly good — no ProTools nonsense in evidence here.

"The interesting thing is, it's not simply a homage the band's first few albums. There are even nods to records such as [1982's] 'Creatures Of The Night', which had Vinnie Vincent on guitar. KISS seem to have cleverly combined the best of all their eras into a single winning package."

The editor of Guitar Player magazine, who had a chance to preview five songs off the LP last month, wrote about the new KISS material, "Paul sings his ass off. Eric plays some amazingly powerful drums. Gene was finally made to play all of his bass parts (apparently, in the past, if someone had a cool bass idea, he let them play it), and he DOES have a pretty driving sound. Finally, Paul and Tommy's guitars sound HUGE — with some fab riffs and '70s-style solos."

The "Sonic Boom" cover art was created by Michael Doret, who also designed the band's classic "Rock And Roll Over" album cover.

Regarding the artwork for the new KISS CD, Doret told Deucenews, "Paul came to me with the title of the album. We talked about the 'look' he wanted this cover to have. We talked about how the other cover I had done for them, 'Rock And Roll Over', really had become iconic and now represented KISS' music from that early period. He talked about how he'd like the new cover to be suggestive of that look, because they wanted the music in the new album to be more reflective of that time and, of their roots in hard rock. He also stipulated that I needed to use existing photography of the four members instead of creating graphic caricatures (which is what I did in 'Rock And Roll Over'). So that was my challenge: create another iconic cover that would also be reflective in some way of the previous cover.

"When I did 'Rock And Roll Over', I presented the group with one colored pencil drawing. With only a few minor comments, they approved it. After thinking about what I needed to do for this new cover, I spent a week or so creating sketches, then narrowed it down to one which I presented (very nervously) to Paul. Like the first time around, he immediately loved it. Then it was just a matter of refining the sketch, selecting the photos, working out a color palette, and presenting it all to Paul again."
    ===========================================

"Modern Day Delilah" audio sample:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_vfxq2AAoq8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&featur e=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_vfxq2AAoq8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&featur e=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

41. 3 users say thank you to Full Bug for this KICKASS post:

atomicpunk5151 (08-17-2009),chefcraig (08-17-2009),indeedido (08-17-2009)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Jeez... with all the hype the cover art was getting since it is by the same dude who did 'Rock And Roll Over'... I have to say that it's really fucking lame.

43. 2 users say thank you to Mr Walker for this KICKASS post:

indeedido (08-17-2009),Va Beach VH Fan (08-17-2009)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The song sounds pretty good.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Thumbs up

Jeez... with all the hype the cover art was getting since it is by the same dude who did 'Rock And Roll Over'... I have to say that it's really fucking lame.
    In retrospect, RARO wasn't exactly Earth-shattering artwork to begin with.

It's also interesting to note that the image in Full Bug's post is in fact larger than the one that will be on the actual CD. (Compare a standard CD case to it. )

Even so, (and I'm not even totally sure why), I'll be picking this up. Yes, I bought Psycho Circus as well, but perhaps this time I do not have a heightened sense of expectation. Besides, three discs for 12 bucks is still a bargain these days, and at least one of 'em will be worth it.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The new album cover is absolutely horrid.

The snippet of the new song is not bad -- but in no way whatsoever does it even REMOTELY sound like 70s KISS.

It sounds more like 1982-83 KISS if anything, which is okay. But after hyping the new record as something from 1977 and then previewing a song from it that sounds nothing like Love Gun or RARO just has to make you wonder about the rest of the CD.

But they definitely missed the mark on the cover. And why did they have to choose a goofy-looking pic of current Gene? No trace of the 'Demon' there.

Thread Information