Thread: Eddie Van Halen, Richie Sambora - All Star Garage Band

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Eddie Van Halen, Richie Sambora - All Star Garage Band

All Star Garage Band, Oct 21, 1996

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D6mFHKunvmc&hl=fr&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D6mFHKunvmc&hl=fr&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i8CGb4nD-tM&hl=fr&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i8CGb4nD-tM&hl=fr&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-_54Yx-KGVc&hl=fr&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-_54Yx-KGVc&hl=fr&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have this on DVD and think it's a pretty terrible show. The songs really aren't geared toward Eddie's style and seem kind of thrown together.

The Don: Roth Army Militi
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've also seen a clip of Ed fucking up I fought the law.

I wish I knew why Ed is seemingly unable/unwilling to reel in his playing at times for the sake of a song.

Ego out of control?
    Roth Army Militia

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This was not a good period for Ed (When was?)

Off his face as usual..

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They needed to rehearse this?

Didn't seem to do Ed any good..

Sounds like the whole damned thing was from the hip...

Then he forgot what the fuck to do!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Notice in the solo on Get Back they are all looking
    around like WTF ??
    If Eddie wasnt going to play the original solo,
    may as well let it rip with a bit of tapping
    and a nice divebomb at the end !!

Sounds like he was caught in two minds...
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Back in 1997, Eddie Van Halen and Sheryl Crow joined VH1’s All Star Garage Band for a performance of the Rolling Stones classic, “Bitch”. This wasn’t on Youtube until yesterday.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EDw6ALMNUDg&hl=fr&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EDw6ALMNUDg&hl=fr&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bryan Adams & EVH

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pa2tc4KhHhA&hl=fr&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pa2tc4KhHhA&hl=fr&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Some interesting moments here but obviously poorly rehearsed

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed's like a fish outta water on those performances mostly...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    No doubt

King Edtard
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Outside of Van Halen...Ed is a fish out of water...nobody wants to hear a bunch of washed up 80s finger tapping on a Stones classic

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Ed's like a fish outta water on those performances mostly...

His style doesn't automatically lend itself to certain tunes...the only time he really knocked cover tunes out of the park was when Dave was in the band. "Knocked out" meaning a throwing a great performance or twist on the original, and making it his own to a degree.

As a contrast, Van Hagar's LZ "Rock and Roll" cover was functional, but nothing about it ever made me think it was as good as or better than the original. Whereas CVH's version of "You Really Got Me" is a cover I actually prefer to the original.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by yah View Post
    Some interesting moments here but obviously poorly rehearsed
    Rehearsal can sometimes mean a lot more than you think......

Mick Taylor put in a surprise appearance at the Stones concert in Kansas City on the 1981 tour. You would think this would be the best of all the Stones boots from that tour, considering how great the Stones sounded on all the tours Mick T. played on.

Instead, it's a fucking train wreck. You end up with him and Woody on the same stage, neither of them really sure what to play, because they're both doing the same job, and it seems to even throw Keith off his game a little.

I'm sure the KC fans at the time thought it was a great thing to see all of them on the same stage, but as a live recording, it's a fucking mess.

But even so, infinitely more entertaining than ANYTHING involving Richie Sambora or Bryan Adams!
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    His style doesn't automatically lend itself to certain tunes...the only time he really knocked cover tunes out of the park was when Dave was in the band. "Knocked out" meaning a throwing a great performance or twist on the original, and making it his own to a degree.

As a contrast, Van Hagar's LZ "Rock and Roll" cover was functional, but nothing about it ever made me think it was as good as or better than the original. Whereas CVH's version of "You Really Got Me" is a cover I actually prefer to the original.
    True... before signing they performed a lot of great covers and also peppered a few gems in their records. Clearly Ed could master and excell at more conventional rock guitar playing at previous points in his career.

Me thinks... far too much hermit isolation in 5150 and too many brain cells and guitar chops left in the bottom of the bottle is where Ed left the musical path...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, and this might seem to some as blaspheme, especially from me as an admitted Ed fanatic, but I don't think that Ed has ever really been that good at "jamming", or improvising, whatever the term....

I've seen a dozen or so clips of him playing alongside non-Van Halen musicians, and he plays the same 'ol 3 or 4 riffs, mostly tapping...

Now give him the opportunity to arrange a song, that's a different story....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I wish I knew why Ed is seemingly unable/unwilling to reel in his playing at times for the sake of a song.

Ego out of control?
    Usually lead guitarists have to have some ego. If they didn't they would be rhythm guitar players standing in the shadows. Anyhow, he did seem to play along with the songs well. Just towards the end added a bit of EVH flavor. But if he didn't, why even bother having him play it...or anyone like that in an "All-Star" lineup? Might as well just have session musicians. You bring in the unique talents to add their own flair to a song. I mean, Sambora did get to add his bone smuggling, marriage busting, not quite as good as Jon Bon Jovi voice to it.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Well, and this might seem to some as blaspheme, especially from me as an admitted Ed fanatic, but I don't think that Ed has ever really been that good at "jamming", or improvising, whatever the term....

I've seen a dozen or so clips of him playing alongside non-Van Halen musicians, and he plays the same 'ol 3 or 4 riffs, mostly tapping...

Now give him the opportunity to arrange a song, that's a different story....

I agree with you. Ed seems more like a mad scientist. Sits in his dark lab creating genius work. But off the cuff never has a ton to go with. Like the ideas just come a bit slower to him. Every concert solo I've ever seen him do is very formulaic. Although, the 07-08 tour there were a few times he did a shtick with Dave mimicking Daves vocals as a motorcycle sound & the likes. Had never really seen him do that type of thing and it was awesomely cool.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, and that's gonna be a key thing that I'm going to be watching for this upcoming tour....

He's GOT to shake up the solo, GOT to....

King Edtard
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

It's not like the bar was set real high by The Kinks......compared to Zeppelin

Doing something like this isn't to "make it your own" it's about giving and taking as a musician but primarily giving because you're playing with so many other people.......honestly to me...it says alot about Ed's musicianship or lack there of if he can't even sit back and "hang" on a tune like Gloria without playing out of context on the song and being a show boat.....

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have an interview from Musician magazine from around '92. Ed was somewhere playing with Steve Morse and James Burton. Obviously, you can't hear what they're playing from the interview but the writer says during the jam, they broke into a country romp with Steve and James ripping it up. He said Ed looked completely lost and did his elephant call. I think when Ed got the Floyd Rose, that's when his playing started going downhill. From the club days, he could obviously rip it up on covers. He tore it up on Nicolette Larson's tune, too. Now he's relegated to elephant calls, horse calls and divebombs. That damn FR ruined him, if you ask me.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    C'mon Everybody was pretty good...

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I Fought the Law:

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=40510 91">Meshell Ndegeocello & Eddie Van Halen on the same stage</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=4051091,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=4051091,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    bryan adams might be a lousy guitar player compared to EVH but he swings...so does sambora...ed doesn't...there are no elephants in blues...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Thread Information