Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-04-2017 @ 04:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I must be getting slow in my old age. I only just now realized that your avatar is actually the source artwork for the GnR Use Your Illusion albums. Compounding this, I'm currently reading Stephen Davis' mistake-filled bio of the band, "Watch You Bleed". (A definite must-NOT-read if there ever was one.) As a result, you'd think I'd be a bit more on the ball, even if by accident.
    haha yeah I think Blaze noticed it also. Such great albums. Illusion II ranks just behind VHII for my favourite albums. I actually got that "Watch You Bleed" biography also. Only through the first couple chapters, and again, just like everyone else, Axl is seen as an inconsiderate, piece of shit, which I completely disagree to a certain extent. Choosing this artwork for those great albums just shows the genius of Axl Rose . (Can't wait for everyone to rip on me after saying that haha)
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Pennypacker for this KICKASS post:

Blaze (03-31-2009)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Wink

"Watch You Bleed" is a bizarre book. This is by the same guy that wrote some tabloid-like bios on Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith, yet he manages to get the facts wrong about those very bands, as well as making some howling mistakes about other artists. It makes you question just exactly what he managed to get correct about GnR.

The book literally is made up of quotes from magazines and VH-1's "Behind The Music". No one in the band was interviewed. And the oddest thing about it is this underlying contempt that Davis seems to feel for the band, as if he feels the need to bite the hand that he is sucking off of.

I'm almost through with it, yet I truly wish I'd never picked it up.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Have you checked out the Slash Autobiography?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Talking

The Slash autobiography is one of the best I've ever read. There is an honesty at work throughout the work, and a willingness to meet the tough issues head on. This is a stark reversal of the usual trend in these books, the tendancy to gloss over uncomfortable chapters in one's life. The recent "works" of Eric Clapton and Ronnie Wood are full of this type of avoidance. And the outright lies or drunken memories are at times absurd. For instance, Wood remembers sitting in an office with Peter Grant, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham, wherein he was being offered the guitarist's position for Led Zeppelin. HUH?

6. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Pennypacker (03-31-2009)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pennypacker View Post
    haha yeah I think Blaze noticed it also. Such great albums. Illusion II ranks just behind VHII for my favourite albums. I actually got that "Watch You Bleed" biography also. Only through the first couple chapters, and again, just like everyone else, Axl is seen as an inconsiderate, piece of shit, which I completely disagree to a certain extent. Choosing this artwork for those great albums just shows the genius of Axl Rose . (Can't wait for everyone to rip on me after saying that haha)
    You can't deny Axl "had" talent.
    Not sure he still does.
    But he had no self control.
    Always acting the bad ass with his 6 inch biceps.
    Pissing off his fans by coming on the stage late.
    I've read a few of these books about bands.
    Hammer of the Gods , Sympathy from (or for) the Devil( The Stones book ).
    Not sure about that title.
    At least two Jim Morrison/ Doors books.
    They didn't pass judgement on their subjects.
    Just stories without opinion.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Since we were on the topic of Slash...

Slash Begins Recording New Solo Album

“Hey, how is everybody?
    I start recording my solo CD today (on March 25th), Josh Freese on drums and Chris Chaney on bass, with Eric Valentine producing. I know you’re saying ‘didn’t Josh play with Axl’s Guns N’ Roses?!’ He did in the 90’s for a while but left after a couple years, so I don’t know if it counts much. Besides, that doesn’t undermine that he is an amazing drummer.

I’ve been reading your messages and there is a handful of questions that a lot of you have in common. One question that a lot of you want to know is, who is singing on this record, but unfortunately, I can’t divulge that info yet, but you’ll know soon enough. I will say however, that they are fantastically talented songwriters who its been an honor to work and write with, to say the least.

In addition, a lot of you have been asking for guitar playing tips. Now, That’s a broad subject, much broader than I can handle in this small space. Although, I could use a few tips myself. But, the most important tip I can give is: Patience, focus and unwavering determination to be the player you want to be. Practice, practice, practice! Practice rhythm, lead, intonation, finding your sound & songwriting (if you want to be a song writer) as well. And, listen to everything! learn as much as you can. Hang and jam (if you can) with musicians who have more experience than you and learn what you can from them. That’s what I tend do and it is one of THE bestlearning tools, plus its more fun than sitting in your bedroom practicing alone. I think that’s a good, but seemingly vague tip, even though its really not as vague as it seems.

Lastly, in answer to all your questions as to why I chose not to continue on with Guns N’ Roses, the reasons are pretty well documented in my book, I’d rather not revisit that subject anymore, thank you.

Ok, that’s all for this week, I’ll be in touch next week with a progress report on the solo record sessions.
    Cheers,

Slash.”

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This still cracks me up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA92d72JM8Q
    Last edited by Pennypacker; 03-31-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    You can't deny Axl "had" talent.
    Not sure he still does.
    But he had no self control.
    Always acting the bad ass with his 6 inch biceps.
    Pissing off his fans by coming on the stage late.
    When I went to see GNR in Toronto in '06, Sebastian Bach opened and played classic Skid Row tunes around 8:30 and then left the stage. This was around 10pm, and we were all wondering where the hell GNR was. Bach came out about a half hour later telling us the band was there, and that he was going to play some of his new tunes, obviously to bide time. It was 12am, and GNR finally came on. Me and my buddies were stuck downtown at 4am, wondering how the fuck a bunch of 16 year olds were gonna find a way home. I was a little frustrated they kept us waiting, but man they put on a great show (with a surprise visit from the Trailer Park Boys ). Better than the AC/DC show last October, damn thing finished at 8:50pm!

11. Thanked Pennypacker for this KICKASS post:

Blaze (04-01-2009)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

When I went to see GNR in Toronto in '06, Sebastian Bach opened and played classic Skid Row tunes around 8:30 and then left the stage. This was around 10pm, and we were all wondering where the hell GNR was. Bach came out about a half hour later telling us the band was there, and that he was going to play some of his new tunes, obviously to bide time. It was 12am, and GNR finally came on. Me and my buddies were stuck downtown at 4am, wondering how the fuck a bunch of 16 year olds were gonna find a way home. I was a little frustrated they kept us waiting, but man they put on a great show (with a surprise visit from the Trailer Park Boys ). Better than the AC/DC show last October, damn thing finished at 8:50pm!
    I saw the band "Rainbow" a few times in the early 80s.
    The last time was at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin .
    Where SRV got killed.
    UFO opened and kicked ass .
    When "Rainbow" came out and the crowd was still screaming for UFO
    they played one song and split.
    Everybody was pissed.
    The opening act "Duke Jupiter" came back out to play .
    It calmed down the crowd a little.
    "Rainbow" would have gotten the shitty end of a one side food fight.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The Slash autobiography is one of the best I've ever read. There is an honesty at work throughout the work, and a willingness to meet the tough issues head on. This is a stark reversal of the usual trend in these books, the tendancy to gloss over uncomfortable chapters in one's life. The recent "works" of Eric Clapton and Ronnie Wood are full of this type of avoidance. And the outright lies or drunken memories are at times absurd. For instance, Wood remembers sitting in an office with Peter Grant, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham, wherein he was being offered the guitarist's position for Led Zeppelin. HUH?
    I absolutely agree, the honesty was refreshing and his de-glamourization of his own past was very interesting too. I was particuarly struck by his attitude to the past in general, particuarly the late 80s. There's a section where he goes out to a club in LA in the late 90s/early 00s and is horrified that all of these old rock dudes are stuck in some kind of timewarp. I thought that was interesting - as a fan, sometimes you think that rock stars yearn for the glory days as much as you do.

One thing that I was pretty struck by was how horrifically Slash has treated women over the years. Don't know why it surprised me, but reading him recount it with no remorse was pretty tough going. The one that really sticks in my mind is the girl who basically looks after him during the worst of the heroin years and once he's clean he realizes that he doesn't like her that much and wants her to fuck off! No thank-you, no guilt, no nothing!

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2021 @ 07:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 878 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    The one that really sticks in my mind is the girl who basically looks after him during the worst of the heroin years and once he's clean he realizes that he doesn't like her that much and wants her to fuck off! No thank-you, no guilt, no nothing!
    You'd hit it

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post
    You'd hit it

True 'dat. If only I'd been there to 'console' her

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

People need to vote with their feet and stop buying tickets to the ginger whinger shows.

Or wouldn't be great if 15 minutes after the show was meant to start the entire audience just stood up and walked out?

Thread Information