Clear All
  • Full Bug
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

1981 Oakland Footage?

Van Halen News Desk | The Van Halen Holy Grail: 1981 Oakland Footage
    The Van Halen Holy Grail: 1981 Oakland Footage

Thursday, 19 March 2009

Mystery of the Fair Warning tour footage — Does a complete Oakland concert exist on film?

Anyone even remotely familiar with the third Indiana Jones film “The Last Crusade” is aware the film dealt with Dr. Jones pursuit of the Holy Grail. Through much intrigue, action and hardship, Jones finally had the Grail in his grasp…

A similar chase has been undertaken by die-hard Van Halen fans and bootleg collectors for nearly thirty years now: the Sacred Footage of Van Halen’s three night stand at the Oakland Coliseum, June 11-13, 1981, which in and of itself constitutes the Holy Grail in Van Halen mythology.

This footage was filmed during the incredible Fair Warning tour, to be aired on MTV, as well as such television programs as Don Kirshner Rock Concert, Entertainment Tonight, and American Bandstand. The band even hoped that Solid Gold would at least air the “So This Is Love” video, but the program director refused, saying they wouldn’t air it unless the band made an in-person appearance, which never came to pass.

The only three songs from this taping that have ever aired are “Unchained,” “Hear About it Later” and “So This Is Love,” which together make up some of the most cherished footage of early Van Halen. Some fans consider the Fair Warning tour as the pinnacle of Van Halen’s powers, based on what precious little footage has circulated from the David Lee Roth era.

Since only three videos have emerged from this taping, this begs two questions from the VH faithful: Were any or all of the three Oakland concerts filmed in their entirety? And, if so, then where the hell is the footage??

As with any object bordering on myth-like status, the answer depends solely upon what the seeker wishes to believe. In interviews with The Inside magazine several years ago, Mike Anthony’s longtime bass tech, Kevin Dugan, expressed doubt that the shows were filmed in their entirety, and that only the three songs presently circulating were captured. A second former VH roadie, who wished to remain anonymous, told The Inside staff the same thing. He said that the reason the band didn’t film a whole show was simply because filming was very expensive and they felt there was no reason to film a whole concert when they just wanted to put together some videos for MTV. And then last year, when Michael Anthony told the Van Halen News Desk that, unfortunately, he, too, believes the full shows weren’t filmed, many fans considered that to be the final nail in the coffin.

dave-vhndcomYet in a video interview coinciding with the original video release to TV in 1981, David Lee Roth confided in Los Angeles DJ, Jim Ladd. Roth implied that the complete shows were indeed filmed, yet most of the footage turned out to be unusable — a “dismal disaster” in Roth’s words. This is borne out by a careful study of the three videos, which reveal several quick cuts that appear to be from other songs or portions of the evening.

So if footage of a complete Fair Warning concert does indeed exist, who has it, and when is Van Halen finally going to release it?

This is where things get nebulously speculative. The band has never been exactly forthcoming with what resides in its vaults. And even if a member of Van Halen, tells you that it does or doesn’t exist, how much trust could you put in their memory?

The VHND has recently learned that the footage was jointly financed by Warner Bros. Records and Van Halen, and that Warner Bros. may not stand in Van Halen’s way if they wanted to release the footage, as both parties would simply share the profits.

So the footage could be in a warehouse owned by Time/Warner, and/or gathering dust in some closet at 5150 studios. In a recent interview Edward Van Halen has mentioned that the band has a stockpile of footage that remains unreleased, including “things like me playing guitar at the 6th grade talent show. There’s all kinds of cool and funny shit we could put out.” If this footage does exist and happens to be in rough shape, the technology is available today to make it potentially viable for release, either as a complete show, or as the three songs used as supplementary material in a home viewing package, as in the 2003 Led Zeppelin DVD.

For the fans that have been seeking this material for nearly three decades, let’s hope the wait isn’t much longer.
    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

A pretty pointless article that just re-hashes what everybody already knows. Just bullshit speculation and conjecture because they had nothing else new to post on the site.

If the VH brothers wanted to score some points with their fans (outside of new material with DLR, of course), they could get off their lazy asses and release this shit.

I hope they don't plan on resting on their laurels for too long coming off of the "3/4 Reunion" tour, or else they'll be on the express train back to irrelevancy.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Yeah, talk about regurgitation...

You want some research, here's some I did in '04....

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

One of the other VH sites... I forget Vh Vault or VHclassic or one of those had pictures of an inventory of both film and audio tape stored at the vaults of some southern California company that specializes in long term media storage.

It listed a ton of film in both VHS, Beta and other formats along with audio. It included several reels from 81 Oakland, Largo and several of the other shows that have made the rounds in boots over the years. All pro shot material.

It was posted at DDLR or Links about a year or two ago... searched and can't find it. But it's out there...
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

It's picking up steam...

Hopes Raised For Van Halen ‘Holy Grail’ Film Footage

Hopes Raised For Van Halen ‘Holy Grail’ Film Footage

Russell Hall | 03.19.2009

The Van Halen News Desk is raising hopes that additional footage of Van Halen’s legendary 1981 three-night stand at the Oakland Coliseum may indeed exist. Long considered to be the Holy Grail of Van Halen video material, the footage, if it exists, would capture the band at what many believe was the height of its power.

The shows, or at least portions thereof, were filmed during the Fair Warning tour, to be aired on MTV, Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert, Entertainment Tonight, and American Bandstand. But only three songs have surfaced on video – “Unchained,” “Hear About It Later” and “So This is Love” (see videos below) – leaving fans to wonder if an entire concert, or all three concerts, was captured on tape.

Years ago two Van Halen insiders – bass tech Kevin Dugan and an unnamed roadie – expressed doubts to The Inside magazine that any footage other than the three released songs exists. Last year VH bassist Michael Anthony essentially told the Van Halen News Desk the same thing. On the other hand, in a 1981 radio interview, David Lee Roth implied that the complete shows were taped, but that they were a “dismal disaster.”

If additional film does indeed exist, reports the News Desk, it most likely resides either in a Time/Warner warehouse or in a closet at 5150 Studios. Negotiations between both entities would be necessary in order for the phantom footage to see the light of day.

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

I remember sitting back watching a CVH concert
            around 83 ? I was still in school it was aired
            on a saturday morning. They played at least 6-7
            songs on this show. Now, this was before I really
            started to get into Van Halen big time.
            But I loved this footage, great concert.

Years later I see those 3 songs we all have, all
            over the place. BUT !!!! these were definately
            from the same concert as the 6-7 song deal
            I watched.. Same clothes, stage, sound,
            everything. Im wracking my brain trying to think
            of the other songs, but RWTD and Romeos Delight
            were two of em ! Maybe even Dance the night away...
            (Many beers ago)
            Anyhoo, I know I saw that gig, with more songs
            than are out there now.. So how did we in Oz
            end up seeing a bigger part of Oakland in 82-83
            on a freakin Saturday morning music show ???

Its out there !! (LIKE THE X FILES)
            The show I saw it on was Sounds Unlimited or
            some crap... I used to watch it before playing
            football on Saturday....

Dave must be picky, cos I loved it.
            I cant remember RWTD being better or
            worse than unchained ?? Video/performance
            or sound wise ??

I was already starting to get into em a bit,
            but this concert really got me..

I might try and do some searching back on that program...
            Last edited by Panamark; 03-20-2009, 06:35 AM.
            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Sure it wasn't simply the US Festival ??

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                Sure it wasn't simply the US Festival ??
                Well I've seen the US festival since then, and no I dont think it was.
                But we are talking 26 odd years ago, and I was a kid. So maybe ?
                The copies of the US festival I have seen sounded like crap though,
                and I remember thinking how good this one sounded.
                Cant find Jack about that music show either..
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Is there any way that could have been Largo, in 1982? Apparently it was pro-shot, and a terrific portion of it was uploaded to Youtube over the past couple of days...
                  YouTube - van halen largo

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uk852XxGsEE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfe bd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uk852XxGsEE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfe bd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Cool Chefcraig !

Thats more likely to be what I saw than the US festival..
                    But ya never know, hey ? I reckon those buggers do
                    have the 81 show.....
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Also makes you wonder if this footage is what prompted
                      the recent story at VHND ?
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                        Also makes you wonder if this footage is what prompted
                        the recent story at VHND ?
                        I believe the story at VHND came about because a fellow posted some HQ videos of the 1981 Oakland set at Youtube about two weeks ago. Yet naturally, they were almost immediately removed by Warner Brothers because of the legal wrangling between Time/Warner and Youtube.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Panamark
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                          I believe the story at VHND came about because a fellow posted some HQ videos of the 1981 Oakland set at Youtube about two weeks ago. Yet naturally, they were almost immediately removed by Warner Brothers because of the legal wrangling between Time/Warner and Youtube.

Did you manage to snag em before they were pulled ??
                          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                            Did you manage to snag em before they were pulled ??
                            I was going to post them when they first appeared, yet they were gone so quickly I never had the opportunity. It's a cryin' shame, as they were infinitely better than the handful of supposed HQ vids still up at Youtube.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by EVH
                              There’s all kinds of cool and funny shit we could put out.
                              but they won't put it out, because they don't give a shit, or they're stupid. take yer pick.
                              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...