Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 06:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

1981 Oakland Footage?

Van Halen News Desk | The Van Halen Holy Grail: 1981 Oakland Footage
    The Van Halen Holy Grail: 1981 Oakland Footage

Thursday, 19 March 2009

Mystery of the Fair Warning tour footage — Does a complete Oakland concert exist on film?

Anyone even remotely familiar with the third Indiana Jones film “The Last Crusade” is aware the film dealt with Dr. Jones pursuit of the Holy Grail. Through much intrigue, action and hardship, Jones finally had the Grail in his grasp…

A similar chase has been undertaken by die-hard Van Halen fans and bootleg collectors for nearly thirty years now: the Sacred Footage of Van Halen’s three night stand at the Oakland Coliseum, June 11-13, 1981, which in and of itself constitutes the Holy Grail in Van Halen mythology.

This footage was filmed during the incredible Fair Warning tour, to be aired on MTV, as well as such television programs as Don Kirshner Rock Concert, Entertainment Tonight, and American Bandstand. The band even hoped that Solid Gold would at least air the “So This Is Love” video, but the program director refused, saying they wouldn’t air it unless the band made an in-person appearance, which never came to pass.

The only three songs from this taping that have ever aired are “Unchained,” “Hear About it Later” and “So This Is Love,” which together make up some of the most cherished footage of early Van Halen. Some fans consider the Fair Warning tour as the pinnacle of Van Halen’s powers, based on what precious little footage has circulated from the David Lee Roth era.

Since only three videos have emerged from this taping, this begs two questions from the VH faithful: Were any or all of the three Oakland concerts filmed in their entirety? And, if so, then where the hell is the footage??

As with any object bordering on myth-like status, the answer depends solely upon what the seeker wishes to believe. In interviews with The Inside magazine several years ago, Mike Anthony’s longtime bass tech, Kevin Dugan, expressed doubt that the shows were filmed in their entirety, and that only the three songs presently circulating were captured. A second former VH roadie, who wished to remain anonymous, told The Inside staff the same thing. He said that the reason the band didn’t film a whole show was simply because filming was very expensive and they felt there was no reason to film a whole concert when they just wanted to put together some videos for MTV. And then last year, when Michael Anthony told the Van Halen News Desk that, unfortunately, he, too, believes the full shows weren’t filmed, many fans considered that to be the final nail in the coffin.

dave-vhndcomYet in a video interview coinciding with the original video release to TV in 1981, David Lee Roth confided in Los Angeles DJ, Jim Ladd. Roth implied that the complete shows were indeed filmed, yet most of the footage turned out to be unusable — a “dismal disaster” in Roth’s words. This is borne out by a careful study of the three videos, which reveal several quick cuts that appear to be from other songs or portions of the evening.

So if footage of a complete Fair Warning concert does indeed exist, who has it, and when is Van Halen finally going to release it?

This is where things get nebulously speculative. The band has never been exactly forthcoming with what resides in its vaults. And even if a member of Van Halen, tells you that it does or doesn’t exist, how much trust could you put in their memory?

The VHND has recently learned that the footage was jointly financed by Warner Bros. Records and Van Halen, and that Warner Bros. may not stand in Van Halen’s way if they wanted to release the footage, as both parties would simply share the profits.

So the footage could be in a warehouse owned by Time/Warner, and/or gathering dust in some closet at 5150 studios. In a recent interview Edward Van Halen has mentioned that the band has a stockpile of footage that remains unreleased, including “things like me playing guitar at the 6th grade talent show. There’s all kinds of cool and funny shit we could put out.” If this footage does exist and happens to be in rough shape, the technology is available today to make it potentially viable for release, either as a complete show, or as the three songs used as supplementary material in a home viewing package, as in the 2003 Led Zeppelin DVD.

For the fans that have been seeking this material for nearly three decades, let’s hope the wait isn’t much longer.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

A pretty pointless article that just re-hashes what everybody already knows. Just bullshit speculation and conjecture because they had nothing else new to post on the site.

If the VH brothers wanted to score some points with their fans (outside of new material with DLR, of course), they could get off their lazy asses and release this shit.

I hope they don't plan on resting on their laurels for too long coming off of the "3/4 Reunion" tour, or else they'll be on the express train back to irrelevancy.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked fryingdutchman for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (03-21-2009)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Yeah, talk about regurgitation...

You want some research, here's some I did in '04....

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/main-...land-81-a.html

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    One of the other VH sites... I forget Vh Vault or VHclassic or one of those had pictures of an inventory of both film and audio tape stored at the vaults of some southern California company that specializes in long term media storage.

It listed a ton of film in both VHS, Beta and other formats along with audio. It included several reels from 81 Oakland, Largo and several of the other shows that have made the rounds in boots over the years. All pro shot material.

It was posted at DDLR or Links about a year or two ago... searched and can't find it. But it's out there...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's picking up steam...

Hopes Raised For Van Halen ‘Holy Grail’ Film Footage

Hopes Raised For Van Halen ‘Holy Grail’ Film Footage

Russell Hall | 03.19.2009

The Van Halen News Desk is raising hopes that additional footage of Van Halen’s legendary 1981 three-night stand at the Oakland Coliseum may indeed exist. Long considered to be the Holy Grail of Van Halen video material, the footage, if it exists, would capture the band at what many believe was the height of its power.

The shows, or at least portions thereof, were filmed during the Fair Warning tour, to be aired on MTV, Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert, Entertainment Tonight, and American Bandstand. But only three songs have surfaced on video – “Unchained,” “Hear About It Later” and “So This is Love” (see videos below) – leaving fans to wonder if an entire concert, or all three concerts, was captured on tape.

Years ago two Van Halen insiders – bass tech Kevin Dugan and an unnamed roadie – expressed doubts to The Inside magazine that any footage other than the three released songs exists. Last year VH bassist Michael Anthony essentially told the Van Halen News Desk the same thing. On the other hand, in a 1981 radio interview, David Lee Roth implied that the complete shows were taped, but that they were a “dismal disaster.”

If additional film does indeed exist, reports the News Desk, it most likely resides either in a Time/Warner warehouse or in a closet at 5150 Studios. Negotiations between both entities would be necessary in order for the phantom footage to see the light of day.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I remember sitting back watching a CVH concert
    around 83 ? I was still in school it was aired
    on a saturday morning. They played at least 6-7
    songs on this show. Now, this was before I really
    started to get into Van Halen big time.
    But I loved this footage, great concert.

Years later I see those 3 songs we all have, all
    over the place. BUT !!!! these were definately
    from the same concert as the 6-7 song deal
    I watched.. Same clothes, stage, sound,
    everything. Im wracking my brain trying to think
    of the other songs, but RWTD and Romeos Delight
    were two of em ! Maybe even Dance the night away...
    (Many beers ago)
    Anyhoo, I know I saw that gig, with more songs
    than are out there now.. So how did we in Oz
    end up seeing a bigger part of Oakland in 82-83
    on a freakin Saturday morning music show ???

Its out there !! (LIKE THE X FILES)
    The show I saw it on was Sounds Unlimited or
    some crap... I used to watch it before playing
    football on Saturday....

Dave must be picky, cos I loved it.
    I cant remember RWTD being better or
    worse than unchained ?? Video/performance
    or sound wise ??

I was already starting to get into em a bit,
    but this concert really got me..

I might try and do some searching back on that program...
    Last edited by Panamark; 03-20-2009 at 06:35 AM.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sure it wasn't simply the US Festival ??

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Sure it wasn't simply the US Festival ??
    Well I've seen the US festival since then, and no I dont think it was.
    But we are talking 26 odd years ago, and I was a kid. So maybe ?
    The copies of the US festival I have seen sounded like crap though,
    and I remember thinking how good this one sounded.
    Cant find Jack about that music show either..

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Question

Is there any way that could have been Largo, in 1982? Apparently it was pro-shot, and a terrific portion of it was uploaded to Youtube over the past couple of days...
    YouTube - van halen largo

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uk852XxGsEE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfe bd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uk852XxGsEE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfe bd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11. 2 users say thank you to chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Combat Ready (03-20-2009),Panamark (03-20-2009)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cool Chefcraig !

Thats more likely to be what I saw than the US festival..
    But ya never know, hey ? I reckon those buggers do
    have the 81 show.....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Also makes you wonder if this footage is what prompted
    the recent story at VHND ?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panamark View Post
    Also makes you wonder if this footage is what prompted
    the recent story at VHND ?
    I believe the story at VHND came about because a fellow posted some HQ videos of the 1981 Oakland set at Youtube about two weeks ago. Yet naturally, they were almost immediately removed by Warner Brothers because of the legal wrangling between Time/Warner and Youtube.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I believe the story at VHND came about because a fellow posted some HQ videos of the 1981 Oakland set at Youtube about two weeks ago. Yet naturally, they were almost immediately removed by Warner Brothers because of the legal wrangling between Time/Warner and Youtube.

Did you manage to snag em before they were pulled ??

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Did you manage to snag em before they were pulled ??
    I was going to post them when they first appeared, yet they were gone so quickly I never had the opportunity. It's a cryin' shame, as they were infinitely better than the handful of supposed HQ vids still up at Youtube.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EVH
    There’s all kinds of cool and funny shit we could put out.
    but they won't put it out, because they don't give a shit, or they're stupid. take yer pick.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bummer that nobody here had the chance to grab the hi def oaklands

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Full Bug View Post
    Van Halen News Desk | The Van Halen Holy Grail: 1981 Oakland Footage
    The Van Halen Holy Grail: 1981 Oakland Footage

Thursday, 19 March 2009

Mystery of the Fair Warning tour footage — Does a complete Oakland concert exist on film?

Anyone even remotely familiar with the third Indiana Jones film “The Last Crusade” is aware the film dealt with Dr. Jones pursuit of the Holy Grail. Through much intrigue, action and hardship, Jones finally had the Grail in his grasp…

A similar chase has been undertaken by die-hard Van Halen fans and bootleg collectors for nearly thirty years now: the Sacred Footage of Van Halen’s three night stand at the Oakland Coliseum, June 11-13, 1981, which in and of itself constitutes the Holy Grail in Van Halen mythology.
    Fucking crap writing.

What does it even mean???

Have Van Halen fans fought against the Nazi's to get these videos? Have they jumped across an abyss or chosen a cup 'wisely'???

No they have to put in that shit because they think Van Halen fans are too stupid to know what the phrase 'search for the Holy Grail' means. They can't even mention King Arthur or Monty Python because we are all such dumb party rock idiots that know absolutely nothing.

Well fuck off VHND with this patronizing shit.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Whatever the case...

That video kicked ASS !!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    we are all such dumb party rock idiots that know absolutely nothing.
    Speak for yourself..

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    ...Have Van Halen fans fought against the Nazi's to get these videos? Have they jumped across an abyss or chosen a cup 'wisely'???

No they have to put in that shit because they think Van Halen fans are too stupid to know what the phrase 'search for the Holy Grail' means. They can't even mention King Arthur or Monty Python because we are all such dumb party rock idiots that know absolutely nothing.

Well fuck off VHND with this patronizing shit.
    You do realize that Indiana Jones didn't really do all of that stuff either, right?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-05-2009 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Bummer that nobody here had the chance to grab the hi def oaklands
    I got em'

Get that muppet Lounge Quenn (Katie you got 5 mins) to say sorry for posting pics in my name, then i will put the vids up.

C'mon Lounge take one for the team

x

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katie View Post
    I got em'

Get that muppet Lounge Quenn (Katie you got 5 mins) to say sorry for posting pics in my name, then i will put the vids up.

C'mon Lounge take one for the team

x
    Are you talking about those 1981 German shit-porn films you were in?

25. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (03-21-2009)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I remember sitting back watching a CVH concert
    around 83 ? I was still in school it was aired
    on a saturday morning. They played at least 6-7
    songs on this show.
    This is the big danger of spending your life standing in the BBQ Open Prison.

The rush of blood that falls into your head...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Too much speculation, not enough fact.

One can use conjecture to make the case that additional Oakland footage exists, but that doesn't make it so.

Those three resultant official promo videos were full of composite footage from all three shows, so it'd be a fair assumption to make that all three shows were filmed, but nobody is sure if it was just those three songs at each of the shows that were filmed, or if each of the shows was filmed from start-to-finish.

Got the best copy of Largo 1982 I've seen yet recently; the thing is just shy of being professionally made in terms of picture quality and audio. There is also a Sept. 1st, 1981 show from Memphis that has surfaced in the last few years. Shot from what appears to be the soundboard vantage point on a single camera fixed to a stationary tripod (possibly/probably made by the band to view after the performance).

It'd be great to see what Cato could do with some of this bootleg footage floating around out there. Hey, if the Van Halens don't want to get off their duffs and make a few bucks off this stuff, fuck 'em. Cato could serve us fans up with something probably just as good as anything officially released.

The "missing / lost Oakland footage" is just a myth until proven otherwise, seeing as NOBODY can say for sure that the entire shows were filmed and any extra footage wasn't disposed of immediately after the three promo videos were produced.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2022 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,468 Posts

How come there isn't ONE single video from the whiskey a go go or nightclub?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-05-2009 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    Good point, but I bet Dave has a ton of stuff like this that he can only release with Ed, AL & Bassplayer giving their image rights etc.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm so fucking sick hearing about Oakland 81!!!

It's so fucking overated!!!

People fall to mention the real holy grail...

Van Hagar Detriot 88!!!!
    u hu u hu h uh u hu hu h

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katie View Post
    Good point, but I bet Dave has a ton of stuff like this that he can only release with Ed, AL & Bassplayer giving their image rights etc.
    Think that is a logical assumption to make. Dave was always aware of the value of such stuff.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Talking

Consider the time, bro. In 1975-76, you needed to carry a cassette recorder roughly the size of a BBQ grill with you in order to simply record sound. Chances are, you needed to stop by Eckerd Drugs to pick up the eighteen or so "D" sized batteries to power the damned thing, and then you had to sneak it into the gig underneath your silk shirt. This in and of itself explains the crummy sound of bootlegs from that era.

To film a gig, you'd need not only a garment bag as big as a bass boat to carry all of your equipment and film in, you'd need to steal a projector from the high school audio/visual room to play the footage back on, yet only after you waited two weeks or so to get it developed at the same Eckerds you bought the batteries and film at.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'll pay someone five bucks... if they can hit full bug below the twat with gum... so it looks like she has a dick!

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

I'll pay someone five bucks... if they can hit full bug below the twat with gum... so it looks like she has a dick!

Fucking missed WARF! Story of my life.....never can hit what I am aiming for

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm so fucking sick hearing about Oakland 81!!!

It's so fucking overated!!!

People fall to mention the real holy grail...

Van Hagar Detriot 88!!!!
    u hu u hu h uh u hu hu h
    There he goes again....

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Could you imagine sitting in a bar and watchin Van Halen for 5 bucks? lol

I wonder if there are any posters here who saw them during the club days....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Could you imagine sitting in a bar and watchin Van Halen for 5 bucks? lol

I wonder if there are any posters here who saw them during the club days....

Yes there is ! I think the dudes name was Stardust ?
    I do remember someone saying exactly what you said,
    seeing them at one of those clubs on the strip for $5
    lol...
    Hopefully they will read this and share the moment again...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

BTW Full Bugs Vagina looks like it just got blown out !

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It's not Largo '82...

It's 1983 in Baltimore / Washington as Dave says at the very beginning...

How can you idiot's be so stupid...

And how could it be Fair Warning with no Fair Warning songs posted...

But Where Have all The Good Times Gone is there from Diver Down...1983

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    They also play Hang 'em High, Pretty Woman and Cathedral...

All from Diver Down...

Do any of you =VH= fans know anything ??

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Whatever the case...

That video kicked ASS !!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    It's not Largo '82...

They also play Hang 'em High, Pretty Woman and Cathedral...

All from Diver Down...

Do any of you =VH= fans know anything ??

It has little to do with logic or ignorance. Look, I don't get it either, yet ever since this material started showing up at Youtube three-four years ago, it has been labeled as being the Largo show. Remember that line at the end of "Liberty Valance"? This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's not Largo '82...

Maybe you're just fucking around, but this is Largo '82 bro... (he also says "Capital Centre")....

You know, Largo, Maryland, outside of DC, on the way between DC and Baltimore....Some people actually said that the Capital Centre was in Landover, sometimes they said it was Largo.... Although, I'd agree that it's only a few minutes outside of the DC beltway, Baltimore is kinda stretching it....

Diver Down came out in April '82, VH were in Largo for two shows in Oct. '82....

The only shows VH did in '83 were in South America plus the US Festival....
    Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 03-21-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Thread Information