Thread: Skyscraper Tour.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Skyscraper Tour.

After having an obssession with the ALAE tour, I'm moving back in time now for the Skyscraper tour.

I've heard a few boots from this tour and aside from keyboards everywhere(Hot for Teacher...argh), it seems a good varied set list. I love the steel drum solo and Vai's solo is quite good, even with the Tuggle synth bit.

I was just curious to any variations in the set list, as I've heard a few early and later boots. I know in the early ones there wasn't the I've just seen a face/wake up little susie bit, and that On Fire was on the setlist. Was Perfect Timing on the setlist at any point, I read somewhere on here he played it..

I'm guessing Hina didn't get played live which is a shame, that was a great tune.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    I dig the steel drums solos too. Also the acoustic mini set with wake up little suzie and I've just seen a face.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Dave`s hair

Dave became the laughing stock of rock in 1988!
    Dave was always proud of his appearance. So when his hair fell out at the front, and his skin became leathery, the media slaughtered Dave!

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    STFU, katie.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 113 View Post
    And participated in the biggest ever grossing
    Van Halen tour, ten years later...

So wrap your beef curtains around that while
    you laugh at Dave.
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status

skyscraper

Dave was always proud of his appearance. So when his hair fell out at the front, and his skin became leathery, the media slaughtered Dave!

Dave did this in 1988:

On SKYSCRAPER, Roth stresses songwriting over instrumental virtuosity this time around-with often-grand results. The epic, sonically rich title track was comparable to little else at the time (or, for that matter, anything else since), while ... Full Description the single "Just Like Paradise" was the top-ten hit that pushed SKYSCRAPER to platinum status. Other highlights include the new wave dance sounds of "Stand Up," the gorgeous pop rocker "Hina" (which deserved to be a single), the nostalgic acoustic ballad "Damn Good," and the rockers "Knucklebones," "The Bottom Line," and "Hot Dog and a Shake." Unfortunately, SKYSCRAPER and the subsequent tour marked the last collaborations between Vai and Roth.

For his second full-length solo album, 1988's SKYSCRAPER, David Lee Roth decided to experiment with his expected heavy-rock style. Synthesizers played more of a prominent role than they had in the raging hard rock of EAT 'EM AND SMILE, and Billy Sheehan's bass heroics were toned down a few notches (resulting in his exit from the band just after the record's release). Guitarist Steve Vai co-produced the album with Roth, providing another key factor in the music's new direction. Vai, previously a member of Frank Zappa's band, gave SKYSCRAPER a quirky edge.

Record Sales: Platinum status and peaked at #6 on the US charts(The Billboard 200) and had 4 top 10 singles.

Lost his hair in the front? who the fuck cares?
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVsHePpovt4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVsHePpovt4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzQMKjUbi-w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzQMKjUbi-w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NGbxLEJa1QM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NGbxLEJa1QM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aqxF-ZXQ5nk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aqxF-ZXQ5nk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is a pro-shot video, so SOMEBODY out there has to have the whole fucking thing.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KOzOpsghhs0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KOzOpsghhs0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    This is a pro-shot video, so SOMEBODY out there has to have the whole fucking thing.....
    YouTube comments are like car wrecks but you can't help but go and take a journey to land of the retards...

NukeCulear (11 months ago)
    who's is singing with him?

Will316316 (9 months ago)
    another musician... dime a dozen

NukeCulear (9 months ago)
    No. That looks kinda Howard Stern but I'm probaly wrong. It just kinda looks like him. He and Roth were pals.

kahuna390 (1 year ago) Show Hide
    vai didnt do much in that but you can tell hes amiazing from just looking

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I went to the '88 concert at the old Maple Leaf Gardens and thought it was great, even have the bootleg video on DVD, it wasnt VH, but still a great time........
    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    In all of the solo shows I've seen footage of, Dave seemed a lot more comfortable on stage during the post VH era.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The dvd from Hollywood, FL 88 was decent. It was from BTB Productions. The Toronto DVD from 88 is pretty clear as well.

The tour did pretty decent business out here in California, I remember the shows were pretty full.

The show was good, but not great, the keys were overpowering and Vai's tone wasn't that great. He was certainly better on his own stuff then the CVH material.

typical set list:

Bottom Line
    Hot Dog And A Shake
    Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love
    Just Like Paradise
    Knuckle Bones
    Easy Street
    Hot For Teacher
    Stand Up / Guitar Solo
    Skyscraper
    Just A Gigalo
    Going Crazy
    Steel Drums
    Yankee Rose
    Instrumental Jam
    Panama
    California Girls
    You Really Got Me
    Jump

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The thing that struck me about that tour was that the stageshow was like nothing i had ever seen. I mean the boxing ring, the surfboard, the repelling down from the scaffold. I was blown away.
    I saw him in Birmingham, Al and there were about 6k people there. Then, you look at the Toronto show and it is packed out. The crowd reaction when he is in the boxing ring is unbelievable. The camera pans back across the arena and it is amazing. Before that time, i don't remember anyone having that much involvement with moving around the arena. I remember Dave started that on Eatem and Smile and after that everyone was doing it, in particular Bon Jovi on Slippery When Wet tour.
    When i go back and listen to the album, it seems almost like a concept album that was just ahead of its time. It really was keyboard heavy and that drove away a lot of fans, i think. After all, there was no reason that LAE shouldn't have done better than it did considering the sales of EAS and Sky. I think a lot of people kind of gave up on Roth after this album. I still pull Sky out and listen to it at least a couple times a year. I'm biased, though, and never thought Roth had a bad album.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

URL=http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3466454967f942070810.jpg][/URL]

Monsters of rock 1988
    scan0105 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Last edited by vaijuju; 05-03-2009 at 07:12 PM.
    http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I saw the second show.The line up was : Matt & Greg Bissonnette, Brett Tuggle, Steve Vai & DLR.The french Band "Jinx" Opened in France for DLR

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    YouTube comments are like car wrecks but you can't help but go and take a journey to land of the retards...
    Tru Dat!

Here's a coinkidink! I just got this e-mail right before reading Sesh' post!

Youtube writes:
    Jetboy707 has made a comment on DAVE in 1984!:

"That black host in the beginning looks like she smells really nice."
    You can reply to this comment by visiting the comments page.

Comment made here:
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If anyone ever finds the Skyscraper tour dates, be sure to let me know... I need them for our "This Day in CVH/DLR History" calendar....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hideyoursheep View Post
    STFU, katie.
    Is that Katie, or FatlisasShadow?

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    If anyone ever finds the Skyscraper tour dates, be sure to let me know... I need them for our "This Day in CVH/DLR History" calendar....
    David Lee Roth - Skyscraper World Tour Dates - 1988 - JamToThis

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks bud... I know I've seen that before, dunno why I didn't see it this time around...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Look who's got the last laugh NOW?!!!!!!

I don't know which tabloids you read, but if you live by what they print and consider it gospel, you are truly naive...and perhaps missing a few hair follicles.
    "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Thread Information