Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Good news for HFCS haters: Pepsi & Mt. Dew about to release a limited run with sugar!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Good news for HFCS haters: Pepsi & Mt. Dew about to release a limited run with sugar!

Now if only they would put it in glass bottles......
    Per some forum members at BevNET involved with Pepsi sales, we know that the retro flavors will be arriving in regular 20 oz. bottles with new labels. The Pepsi bottle uses the imprinted 'wave' pattern we first saw with the redesign of the Diet Pepsi line and introduction of Diet Pepsi Max in 2007.

Meanwhile, the Dew bottle maintains its vertical 'swirl' pattern. We saw these being used heavily last summer with the "DEWmocracy 3"… Mountain Dew Supernova, Mountain Dew Revolution, and Mountain Dew Voltage (by the way, Voltage won that vote).

Of interest, however, is that the label design might not follow the previous images filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. An internal promotional piece of artwork shared with the Pepsi Bottling Group illustrates a completely different look.
    Pepsi Throwback
    (Source: Pepsi Bottling Group)

The Pepsi bottle showcases the logo design used from 1973-91, with the Pepsi font in non-italic sitting inside the two halves of what we now refer to as the Pepsi Globe. The light, baby blue color also makes a return as an accent in the background, which is prominently white, split between a red and blue bar. It's very 80s feeling, taking on the red/white/blue color scheme that Pepsi was known for before they claimed "blue" as their official color in 1998.

The label has a weathered look, reflecting the style used during the Pepsi Retro campaign in Mexico last year. The phrase "Made with Real Sugar" adorns the top of the label, with "Refreshingly Retro" and "Limited Time Offer" in smaller print on the bottom. In fact, the "Refreshingly Retro" tagline seems to be something that Pepsi is running with here, given that it's the title of this trade piece. The last time Pepsi did a retro-themed bottle design for a mainstream product was 2004's Pepsi Holiday Spice, which was favorable accepted for its look, but apparently didn't sell well enough to warrant its return.
    Mountain Dew Throwback
    (Source: Pepsi Bottling Group)

On the Mountain Dew side of things, we see a return to the 'box' logo used throughout the 1970s/80s. It has a bit of a rounded top/bottom to it, but still remains the logo most folks would remember (and references Pepsi's trademark filing for the Throwback lineup).

Instead of using the references Pepsi's trademark filing previously-noted font for "Throwback" which we saw with the patent office submission — which seemed to be the same font used in the controversial new Pepsi logo — PepsiCo has gone with more of a cartoony, upper-case font to denote "Throwback" under the traditional Dew logo. It's not a very integrated way to do it, but for the customer that this product is targeting, it probably doesn't matter. Like its Pepsi sibling, the phrase "Made with Real Sugar" adorns the top of the label, with "Refreshingly Retro" and "Limited Time Offer" sitting below the logo.

It should be noted that the bottom of the information provided to the Pepsi Bottling Group regarding the design of the Throwback products have the following disclaimer: "Visuals are directional only. Final executions may vary." So this might not be the final artwork. We will see!

Per a report by Serious Eats, the pricepoint for both of these products will be the same as regular high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) sweetened Pepsi and Dew. Their availability will be from April 20-June 13, which gives you just 54 days to enjoy sugar-sweetened goodness in these beverages. Is it any coincidence that the availability of these drinks just happens to be around Passover, traditionally the time when both Kosher Coke and Kosher Pepsi have been previously available? Hmmm….
    Bottle designs for Pepsi Throwback, Mountain Dew Throwback » Sugar-sweetened Pepsi-Cola and Mtn Dew without High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) » BevReview.com

I'm not a Pepsi drinker, but hopefully this will prompt Coca Cola to expand their own US sugar operations beyond the severely limited "Kosher Coke" run. And beyond that, hopefully both companies will take the hint from skyrocketing sales to keep the "retro" formula and dump the corn poison. And I might just buy a case or two of the Mountain Dew to help them out. Always did like that stuff, before it went corny.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

Oldest marketing scheme in the world. Bait and switch.

They want to lure buyers of other brands over, and then they'll just go back to the old formula and hope the ASmericans are too lazy/stupid to switch back....

Jones Soda all the way.....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-02-2020 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 997 Posts

I am all over this.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I wouldn't give up the occasional Jones Green Apple Soda in either case. But I miss the way Mountain Dew used to taste in the 70's, so if I can have that back for a little while, I ain't gonna complain.

Truth is, I rarely drink any carbonated sugary drinks anymore anyway, even the ones without the mutant Monsanto poison.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
    I am all over this.
    Can you get REAL Dr. Pepper in Dallas? I know they still make it in Dublin Tx. but I'm not sure how wide the distribution is.

You would know the difference from the packaging.....

Typical "Dr.Pepper" (owned by the BCE Carlyle Group)

Dublin Dr. Pepper (independently owned)

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    12-10-2014 @ 10:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't know if I have ever tasted it with real sugar. Is there really that big a difference?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    I don't know if I have ever tasted it with real sugar. Is there really that big a difference?
    Sugar is much better. Try a Mexican Coca Cola compared to the kind that comes from Atlanta. Or compare one of these Pepsi's or Mountain Dew to the typical HFCS crap when they are available.

The Mountain Dew would probably be the most noticeable. The corn taste of the HFCS really ruins anything fruit flavored even more than the colas.

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We get the normal DP everyone else gets.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'll bet this is US only...

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-21-2010 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

There is no Root in RootBeer.

There is no Ginger in Ginger Ale .

They -LIE- change formulas rip us off all day long.

There is no Lemon in Lemon Lime. Or Lime...just Citric Acid powder...

There is so little in 7UP and Sprite is has all been replaced with -HUGE- amounts of Citric Acid.

Jakc SHIT! Daniels lowered thier Black Lable PROOF from 86 to 80 without telling anyone.

But it still sais Old No.7 on the Label.

90% of all the Coke AHina.. you buy is 10% Coke and 90% Meth.

But everyone just blindly goes on buying away.

You can put whatever you want on a Label anything you want.

That is why I only eat raw meat and raw onions and wash it down with tripple distilled Gin.

Then in the weekends I snort three oz of Fruit Fresh you know that stuff people sprinkle on thier fruit dinner salads to keep the apples from turning yellow.

It is pure MSG.....I wouldn't want the neighbors to think I ain't part of society aaaaa...a outlaw or anything.....

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    I'll bet this is US only...
    I don't think they use high fructose corn poison anywhere else, so it wouldn't be necessary.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

It makes a world of difference (real sugar). You can get Coke (the drink) with real sugar in it @ mexi-markets and Jewish stores......makes good Jack and Coke all the better!!!!

the juggernaut bitch
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-04-2021 @ 11:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It will be nice to have some mountain dew with real sugar. I don't like pepsi so I probably wont try it.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I went to this "BRONX" ....Deli...... here in KC a new place and I walked inside and asked..... then... due to the odd layout.... were it was that I could by meat by the pound ...

I was looking for a pound of Pastrami and a pound of Swiss Cheese.

They dont have any counter and they only sell sandwiches from food distributor pre-packaged ...the same sh!t you get at Dennys when you buy a Ruben canned saurkraut ....how hard is it to make saurkraut..?.

So being as how I always want to give a person a even break I ordered a pastrami on rye with swiss, dry...(no mustard or anything)

it took them 10 min to make it and i was the only person in there who hadn't been served.

there were only 3 other people ..

I got it home and I swear to god there was only 2-3 oz of meat on the sandwich about the size of a large mouse.. 1 slice of cheesefood swiss flavored coagulated oil, slice..

This is how assholes deal with the credit crunch, a normal 10oz sandwich in a propper deli is reduced to 2 oz in a rip off non- Deli////

I threw it so hard in the trash ..\\ 8$

People from NY should come here and stab these cheap lieing pieces of crap.

Burn them out and hang them on the highest hill.

It is abomonation to the history of The Deli

Deli .....?

Labeling ........LIES!

PS I wouldn't have minded if it said "BRONX" DELI..Sandwiches.....Deli "Style"...sandwiches and they put the proper amount of pre packaged meat on it at least they would have been striving for some truth in advertising....

It is nowhere near a Deli.

Any pop you drink to get back on thread topic is water salt and usually some genetic petro chemical sucrose..non-sugar..and a large amt of citric acid powder.

The only benifit is the water is distilled and probably reverse osmosis filtered clean water heavy metal free/.

The Citric acid will rot your gut out but it is still beter than our tap water.

Just like Bottled water in "plastic bottle" FOOL... your gonna die anyway...

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-13-2024 @ 10:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rustoffa View Post
    It makes a world of difference (real sugar). You can get Coke (the drink) with real sugar in it @ mexi-markets and Jewish stores......makes good Jack and Coke all the better!!!!

Is there such thing as good jack?

I was spoiled on Crown Royal...and not the blended version I see at the Duty Free shops either...

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

About 4 years ago I was in central northern missouri and I happened to be inside the last -Pepsi "Glass" Bottle Distribution Plant- left in the United States.
    They were closing that year. Glass has to be cleaned collected washed you know..... plastic will kill people, but it is cheaper to manufacture...ble blla you know..... buyer beware.

I asked if i could have one and was directed to the employee lounge....

Original formula Pepsi in those tiny 10 oz bottles -GLASS- and inside the plant it is free, from one of those old .... vertical row open the glass door pull the bottle out by the sharp metal bottle cap cut your finger old style gas station machines.

I swear to you it was the finest soft drink I have ever tasted and I am not a Pepsi guy.

I would pay extra for the Artisan Style Retro products....Artisan style.??????....perhaps I would pay extra for things made the way they should be...

I did find a pop the other day that was made with pure cane sugar a ...cream soda, good stuff.

Here is what the label said, Water, Cane Sugar, Vanila...that was all.

I got such a woody I almost stole it thinking it was from god.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Glass bottles definitely make it taste better. That's why I'll pay twice the price for the Mexican Coke. I don't buy anything in plastic bottles when I can help it.

Wish Pepsi would include the glass as part of their retro-marketing. If not, I'll probably go with the cans. Aluminum beats plastic.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    I don't think they use high fructose corn poison anywhere else, so it wouldn't be necessary.
    Different name out here apparently... "isoglucose".

Can't say if it's used or not, at the moment.
    Last edited by Coyote; 03-26-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-13-2024 @ 10:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Glass bottles definitely make it taste better. That's why I'll pay twice the price for the Mexican Coke. I don't buy anything in plastic bottles when I can help it.

Wish Pepsi would include the glass as part of their retro-marketing. If not, I'll probably go with the cans. Aluminum beats plastic.

...and aluminum still sucks...

Everybody was exicted here years ago when we finally got beer in cans.

Worse thing that could of ever happened IMO...

Cans cool quickly but you can not beat a bottled beer right out of a cooler full of ice and ice water.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They -The Them- you know...?

Spray the inside of the cans with Polyurethene the same stuff on your hardwood floors..only it probably is without the addition of aluminum oxide or lead oxide for added durability...lol
    To: separate the product from contact with aluminum and thus no "tinnny" taste is emparted to the beverage.

completely innert when converted to the plastic.after the vehicle has evaporated off it still can degrade but outgassing is null.

The toxicity is time based for a certain shelf life to FDA Standards...I wouldn't drink from a 2 year old plastic beverage..lol

I know they do it for beer but I suspect it is a wide spread practice.

The only non-glass I drink out of other than glass, is 1/4 inch thick "hard" Rigid... plastic glasses like in my cabinet, I have one... 16 oz clear one. Ice water on the deck drinking glass......... booze or beer goes in glass silica only.

I would rather die of thirst than drink bottled water from those wiggly soft thin evian ...or whatever bottles .

The "liberal jagg offs" (unthinking trend chasers.) have made the plastic more biodegradeable to save the planet all the while you all are digesting pre degraded /advanced degraded plastic petro chemicals.

Jogging for health at the bussiest intersection in town at rush hr sukking in more petro and poison than a lead mine worker does in a year.While sukking on a gloppy pool of semidegraded vinyl and H2O.

They would probably be better off shoving it up thier ASS!

A polymer is a polymer in chunky shards... in the land fill... or wet semi digraded pools of poly snot...I can tell you wich one is better for our world but no-one listens....

It won't kill you. Plastics has saved this world and made it safer and more livable ,but I wish people could see trash floating in the river is no different than the trash container they are shoving whatever in.. whatever hole they shove it in.

I will never forget River Pheonix shooting Heroin and Coke in his arm but standing up for PETA and declaring how healthy you would be without Red Meat in your diet like he did.

Sad to say, him dead, in a pool of his own ego, vomit and rot made me laugh.

My apologies to his family.

There is a special place in Hell for people like me. for that comment........

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, aluminum definitely isn't as good as glass. Grew up in a household where all the beer and pop in the house was in cans. The reasons were purely economic - my dad worked for the can company.

Now that he's retired I only see bottled beer in his refrigerator. Go figure

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He you guys wanna make a million bucks lets invent glass beverage containers single serving... that are stackable.... it's all about shipping and storage...hmmmm
    re-design the bottle....silica is silica.......natural....

shhh....our little secret........

must preserve presciuos body fluids.......clear water......grain alcohol......

Now excuse me I have run out of ciggaretts and idealistic moral condemnation.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Glass bottles are stackable..... or at least they are when they're in cardboard boxes.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I heard they trace check for aluminum, in some part of the brain during autopsy ...when attempting to determine the diagnosis of ahlzhiemers..(sp)

A family member of mine went thru that and I think that was what was done. I wasn't real close, but listened in on a few conversations..?

I seriously doubt plastic or aluminum beverage ingestion is the world main issue.
    We can determine what we prefer for our own tastes....mine are biggoted.

I will normaly drink the closest beverage to me even if it comes out of a radiator...... from a junkyard 32 Ford.

I also LOVE Ramen Noodles in the Styrefoam Cup with 5 days worth of salt in it.With those tiny little shrimp...mmmmm

I just don't dig people legislating me into believing a bunch of bunk BS.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, I've heard about the possibility of a connection between aluminum and alzheimers. There may be something to it, which is why I don't drink out of cans very often.

But as I said, my dad worked in the industry for over 30 years, and he's pushing 78 with a memory probably better than mine, so I take that as a good sign that the connection isn't all that conclusive.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,399 Times in 6,055 Posts

I almost always get cans rather than plastic bottles. It's not about taste it's about temperature, plastic bottles won't get as cool in the fridge.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WACF View Post
    Is there such thing as good jack?

I was spoiled on Crown Royal...and not the blended version I see at the Duty Free shops either...
    Thanks for the endearing background concerning your brushes with maple leaf liquor. I guess we'll all just start chugging plastic bottle bourbon while you nurse slow-dripping nectar from non-blended sources!!

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2021 @ 07:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 878 Posts

Man, I wish stoff would post more.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I almost always get cans rather than plastic bottles. It's not about taste it's about temperature, plastic bottles won't get as cool in the fridge.
    Someday Scotland will discover ice, and your troubles will be over....

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-17-2023 @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Yet another reason to avoid HFCS like the plague.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

(nothing to do with sugar)

For those that dont know the good old glass v cans debate,
    here's the skinny... Using Beer as the example,
    in glass, Beer is in its purest form free of contaminents, just the
    way it was brewed.

However clear glass lets light in.

In cans, you can get an "aluminium" or additive taste,
    but the beer itself has not seen the light of day,
    literally..

Apparently a beer can go off a bit if exposed to light
    for certain durations..

Personally, I have found that some beers taste better
    in a can, than the exact same beer in glass,
    and vice versa....

I guess the ultimate would be, glass, not exposed to
    light at all, until you crack it open..

Black Glass ??

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panamark View Post
    (nothing to do with sugar)

For those that dont know the good old glass v cans debate,
    here's the skinny... Using Beer as the example,
    in glass, Beer is in its purest form free of contaminents, just the
    way it was brewed.

However clear glass lets light in.

In cans, you can get an "aluminium" or additive taste,
    but the beer itself has not seen the light of day,
    literally..

Apparently a beer can go off a bit if exposed to light
    for certain durations..

Personally, I have found that some beers taste better
    in a can, than the exact same beer in glass,
    and vice versa....

I guess the ultimate would be, glass, not exposed to
    light at all, until you crack it open..

Black Glass ??
    Brown glass, as per the standard?

33. Thanked Coyote for this KICKASS post:

hideyoursheep (03-31-2009)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brown glass, as per the standard?
    Apparently that even lets light in !
    Im thinking of a glass that lets no light in...
    Im sure I have seen black glass used for
    alcohol... Theoretically, if you buy brown bottles
    in a case (box) then put them in a fridge staight away,
    then they wont see much light anyway.
    But if you but them off the shelf, (not in a case)
    and they have been there for a while, its meant
    to skunk it..

Heres some info....

The photochemical reaction that skunks beer occurs very quickly; a well-hopped beer in clear glass can become noticeably offensive with just 30 seconds of exposure to sunshine. Brown glass transmits less visible light than the previously mentioned colors, and therefore offers some protection from skunking. It does allow some light through, so beer in brown bottles will skunk after a few hours of light exposure.

skunked_beer

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panamark View Post
    Apparently that even lets light in !
    Im thinking of a glass that lets no light in...
    Some uber-polarized glass bottle?

Then again, it's harder to break an aluminum can...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Some uber-polarized glass bottle?
    Sounds expensive to manufacture

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 3,459 Posts

I don't drink much of what we call "pop" here anymore. But I'm hardly partial to either Coke or Pepsi after a long time of preferring Coca Cola. I'm definitely going to get some of this if I can...

Actually, I used to really like Royal Crown (RC) cola, but that hasn't been the same in a long while...

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

When is this supposed to happen? I want my sugar cane pepsi and dew damnit!!!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I believe they're rolling it out in April. So probably another couple weeks it should hit the stores?

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Black Glass ahhhh,...... Yes, My Guiness, My Love, My Lust for you, I am ,yes.... a Slave.

I know of no other Black Glass Beers. Stateside, that I have tried.

I also giggle, when the little Whirrlie Gig goes .........Weeeeeeeeeeee.

So I pop the top with spirit and speed.

Entertainment at it's Finest.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I knew I had seen Black glass somehwhere !
    I think some vodkas I have seen also have
    used black glass...

Thread Information