Good news for HFCS haters: Pepsi & Mt. Dew about to release a limited run with sugar!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Good news for HFCS haters: Pepsi & Mt. Dew about to release a limited run with sugar!

Now if only they would put it in glass bottles......
    Per some forum members at BevNET involved with Pepsi sales, we know that the retro flavors will be arriving in regular 20 oz. bottles with new labels. The Pepsi bottle uses the imprinted 'wave' pattern we first saw with the redesign of the Diet Pepsi line and introduction of Diet Pepsi Max in 2007.

Meanwhile, the Dew bottle maintains its vertical 'swirl' pattern. We saw these being used heavily last summer with the "DEWmocracy 3"… Mountain Dew Supernova, Mountain Dew Revolution, and Mountain Dew Voltage (by the way, Voltage won that vote).

Of interest, however, is that the label design might not follow the previous images filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. An internal promotional piece of artwork shared with the Pepsi Bottling Group illustrates a completely different look.
    Pepsi Throwback
    (Source: Pepsi Bottling Group)

The Pepsi bottle showcases the logo design used from 1973-91, with the Pepsi font in non-italic sitting inside the two halves of what we now refer to as the Pepsi Globe. The light, baby blue color also makes a return as an accent in the background, which is prominently white, split between a red and blue bar. It's very 80s feeling, taking on the red/white/blue color scheme that Pepsi was known for before they claimed "blue" as their official color in 1998.

The label has a weathered look, reflecting the style used during the Pepsi Retro campaign in Mexico last year. The phrase "Made with Real Sugar" adorns the top of the label, with "Refreshingly Retro" and "Limited Time Offer" in smaller print on the bottom. In fact, the "Refreshingly Retro" tagline seems to be something that Pepsi is running with here, given that it's the title of this trade piece. The last time Pepsi did a retro-themed bottle design for a mainstream product was 2004's Pepsi Holiday Spice, which was favorable accepted for its look, but apparently didn't sell well enough to warrant its return.
    Mountain Dew Throwback
    (Source: Pepsi Bottling Group)

On the Mountain Dew side of things, we see a return to the 'box' logo used throughout the 1970s/80s. It has a bit of a rounded top/bottom to it, but still remains the logo most folks would remember (and references Pepsi's trademark filing for the Throwback lineup).

Instead of using the references Pepsi's trademark filing previously-noted font for "Throwback" which we saw with the patent office submission — which seemed to be the same font used in the controversial new Pepsi logo — PepsiCo has gone with more of a cartoony, upper-case font to denote "Throwback" under the traditional Dew logo. It's not a very integrated way to do it, but for the customer that this product is targeting, it probably doesn't matter. Like its Pepsi sibling, the phrase "Made with Real Sugar" adorns the top of the label, with "Refreshingly Retro" and "Limited Time Offer" sitting below the logo.

It should be noted that the bottom of the information provided to the Pepsi Bottling Group regarding the design of the Throwback products have the following disclaimer: "Visuals are directional only. Final executions may vary." So this might not be the final artwork. We will see!

Per a report by Serious Eats, the pricepoint for both of these products will be the same as regular high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) sweetened Pepsi and Dew. Their availability will be from April 20-June 13, which gives you just 54 days to enjoy sugar-sweetened goodness in these beverages. Is it any coincidence that the availability of these drinks just happens to be around Passover, traditionally the time when both Kosher Coke and Kosher Pepsi have been previously available? Hmmm….
    Bottle designs for Pepsi Throwback, Mountain Dew Throwback » Sugar-sweetened Pepsi-Cola and Mtn Dew without High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) » BevReview.com

I'm not a Pepsi drinker, but hopefully this will prompt Coca Cola to expand their own US sugar operations beyond the severely limited "Kosher Coke" run. And beyond that, hopefully both companies will take the hint from skyrocketing sales to keep the "retro" formula and dump the corn poison. And I might just buy a case or two of the Mountain Dew to help them out. Always did like that stuff, before it went corny.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Oldest marketing scheme in the world. Bait and switch.

They want to lure buyers of other brands over, and then they'll just go back to the old formula and hope the ASmericans are too lazy/stupid to switch back....

Jones Soda all the way.....
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Dr. Love
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

I am all over this.
      I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I wouldn't give up the occasional Jones Green Apple Soda in either case. But I miss the way Mountain Dew used to taste in the 70's, so if I can have that back for a little while, I ain't gonna complain.

Truth is, I rarely drink any carbonated sugary drinks anymore anyway, even the ones without the mutant Monsanto poison.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
          I am all over this.
          Can you get REAL Dr. Pepper in Dallas? I know they still make it in Dublin Tx. but I'm not sure how wide the distribution is.

You would know the difference from the packaging.....

Typical "Dr.Pepper" (owned by the BCE Carlyle Group)

Dublin Dr. Pepper (independently owned)
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Blaze
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

I don't know if I have ever tasted it with real sugar. Is there really that big a difference?
            "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
            sigpic

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Blaze
              I don't know if I have ever tasted it with real sugar. Is there really that big a difference?
              Sugar is much better. Try a Mexican Coca Cola compared to the kind that comes from Atlanta. Or compare one of these Pepsi's or Mountain Dew to the typical HFCS crap when they are available.

The Mountain Dew would probably be the most noticeable. The corn taste of the HFCS really ruins anything fruit flavored even more than the colas.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Dr. Love
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

We get the normal DP everyone else gets.
                I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Coyote
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

I'll bet this is US only...
                  Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• thome
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Mar 2005

There is no Root in RootBeer.

There is no Ginger in Ginger Ale .

They -LIE- change formulas rip us off all day long.

There is no Lemon in Lemon Lime. Or Lime...just Citric Acid powder...

There is so little in 7UP and Sprite is has all been replaced with -HUGE- amounts of Citric Acid.

Jakc SHIT! Daniels lowered thier Black Lable PROOF from 86 to 80 without telling anyone.

But it still sais Old No.7 on the Label.

90% of all the Coke AHina.. you buy is 10% Coke and 90% Meth.

But everyone just blindly goes on buying away.

You can put whatever you want on a Label anything you want.

That is why I only eat raw meat and raw onions and wash it down with tripple distilled Gin.

Then in the weekends I snort three oz of Fruit Fresh you know that stuff people sprinkle on thier fruit dinner salads to keep the apples from turning yellow.

It is pure MSG.....I wouldn't want the neighbors to think I ain't part of society aaaaa...a outlaw or anything.....

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                      I'll bet this is US only...
                      I don't think they use high fructose corn poison anywhere else, so it wouldn't be necessary.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• rustoffa
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

It makes a world of difference (real sugar). You can get Coke (the drink) with real sugar in it @ mexi-markets and Jewish stores......makes good Jack and Coke all the better!!!!

Comment

• Redballjets88
                          Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

It will be nice to have some mountain dew with real sugar. I don't like pepsi so I probably wont try it.
                          R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• thome
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Mar 2005

I went to this "BRONX" ....Deli...... here in KC a new place and I walked inside and asked..... then... due to the odd layout.... were it was that I could by meat by the pound ...

I was looking for a pound of Pastrami and a pound of Swiss Cheese.

They dont have any counter and they only sell sandwiches from food distributor pre-packaged ...the same sh!t you get at Dennys when you buy a Ruben canned saurkraut ....how hard is it to make saurkraut..?.

So being as how I always want to give a person a even break I ordered a pastrami on rye with swiss, dry...(no mustard or anything)

it took them 10 min to make it and i was the only person in there who hadn't been served.

there were only 3 other people ..

I got it home and I swear to god there was only 2-3 oz of meat on the sandwich about the size of a large mouse.. 1 slice of cheesefood swiss flavored coagulated oil, slice..

This is how assholes deal with the credit crunch, a normal 10oz sandwich in a propper deli is reduced to 2 oz in a rip off non- Deli////

I threw it so hard in the trash ..\\ 8$

People from NY should come here and stab these cheap lieing pieces of crap.

Burn them out and hang them on the highest hill.

It is abomonation to the history of The Deli

Deli .....?

Labeling ........LIES!

PS I wouldn't have minded if it said "BRONX" DELI..Sandwiches.....Deli "Style"...sandwiches and they put the proper amount of pre packaged meat on it at least they would have been striving for some truth in advertising....

It is nowhere near a Deli.

Any pop you drink to get back on thread topic is water salt and usually some genetic petro chemical sucrose..non-sugar..and a large amt of citric acid powder.

The only benifit is the water is distilled and probably reverse osmosis filtered clean water heavy metal free/.

The Citric acid will rot your gut out but it is still beter than our tap water.

Just like Bottled water in "plastic bottle" FOOL... your gonna die anyway...

Comment

• WACF
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa
                              It makes a world of difference (real sugar). You can get Coke (the drink) with real sugar in it @ mexi-markets and Jewish stores......makes good Jack and Coke all the better!!!!

Is there such thing as good jack?

I was spoiled on Crown Royal...and not the blended version I see at the Duty Free shops either...

Comment

Working...