X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Somebody Please, Shoot Me: Cruise, Travolta To Remake "Butch And Sundance"

I hope to Christ this is an April Fool's joke that has gone on too long. There are several articles on the web about it, yet it largely seems to be a rumor that has caught fire.

Tom Cruise Seeks to Remake "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid"

Tom Cruise hopes to remake the classic 1969 western, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, starring himself and his close friend, John Travolta. Cruise got the blessing of Paul Newman, who played Cassidy in the original, just months before he passed away last September.

Cruise intends to produce the remake through United Artists, the studio he jointly owns after he helped to resurrect it as an MGM subsidiary in 2006. The original film garnered four Oscars, and is said to be amongst Cruise's cinema favorites.

Cruise, 46, wants to cast himself as Sundance, which was originally played by Robert Redford. He is hoping to cast Travolta, 55, as Cassidy.

According to a senior executive, Cruise has already begun interviewing screenwriters capable of recapturing the essence of the original.

The exec said:

“It has been a pet project of his that has been on the back-burner for years. But now he’s ready to go, and will most likely happily eschew the enormous salary that he normally commands.”

A source close to the star added:

“Butch and Sundance is a labour of love for Tom. He was eight years old when he saw the original and it made an impression that has stayed with him all his life. He can’t wait to get to work.”

Travolta is also said to be eager to begin shooting, despite still mourning over the death of his 16-year-old son Jett, who died in January in the Bahamas.

Both Scientologists and longtime friends, the two have been "itching to do something big on screen together," commented the source.

There's even talk of a cameo role for Redford, now 72.

Tom Cruise Seeks to Remake "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid" | Cleveland Leader

Several other versions of essentially the same story at: Google News

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Oh dear Lord no.

Some things should be left alone.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Next Tommy will be doing the great escape and bridge over
      river kwai... and guns of navarone !! little bastard !
      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

With those two I could see remaking Brokeback Mountain, but not Butch & Sundance. This will turn out to be the Ishtar for a new generation.
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
          With those two I could see remaking Brokeback Mountain, but not Butch & Sundance. This will turn out to be the Ishtar for a new generation.
          I hear ya. The real kicker about Ishtar wasn't that it was completely awful, yet how much money was spent doing take after take of each scene. I simply can not imagine Cruise and Revolta pulling off this sequence (or any other, for that matter) convincingly, let alone with the charm and humor of the original.

Harvey Logan: Guns or knives?
          Butch Cassidy: Neither?
          Harvey Logan: Pick.
          Butch Cassidy: I don't want to shoot with you Harvey.
          Harvey Logan: [draws a big knife] Anything you say, Butch.
          [Butch walks over to Sundance]
          Butch Cassidy: [in a low voice] Maybe there's a way to make a profit in this. Bet on Logan.
          Sundance Kid: I would, but who'd bet on you?
          Harvey Logan: Sundance, when we're done, and he's dead, you're welcome to stay.
          Butch Cassidy: [low voice, to Sundance] Listen, I don't mean to be a sore loser, but when it's done, if I'm dead, kill him.
          Sundance Kid: [low voice to Butch] Love to.
          [waves to Harvey and smiles]
          Butch Cassidy: No, no, not yet. Not until me and Harvey get the rules straightened out.
          Harvey Logan: Rules? In a knife fight? No rules.
          [Butch immediately kicks Harvey in the groin]
          Butch Cassidy: Well, if there aint' going to be any rules, let's get the fight started. Someone count. 1,2,3 go.
          Sundance Kid: [quickly] 1,2,3, go.
          [Butch knocks Harvey out]
          Flat Nose Curry: I was rooting for you all along, Butch.
          Butch Cassidy: Well, thank you, Flatnose. That's what sustained me in my time of trouble.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• thome
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Mar 2005

He made a damn good homoerotic Urban Cowboy what makes you think he can't Gay up the Sundance.....

But,.... we all know the Last Samuri was a little white guy, so have at it...

I am waiting for Andy Dick starring in the new Road House...I can see it now slapping bitches and tears........classic lines like, "does this thong show my stiches..?"

Comment

• alexpgrimes
              Foot Soldier
              • Jan 2004

you guys are looking at this the wrong way. think of the good. they both get shot and die in the end. thats a win win for me...lol
              If I want any shit out of you, I'll squeeze your head.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

What's with all of this remake shit?

What happened to creative writers, creative ideas, new scripts?

How come TV is pumping out great dramas but Holywood is floundering around looking to butcher classic movies?
                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by alexpgrimes
                  you guys are looking at this the wrong way. think of the good. they both get shot and die in the end. thats a win win for me...lol
                  It would be better if they were shot in the beginning. It would be a much shorter film.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

So in a Cruise/Travolta version, would they be running off to South America to escape the evil warlord Xenu?
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Coyote
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie

How come TV is pumping out great dramas but Holywood is floundering around looking to butcher classic movies?
                      Same reason why some band keep pumping out greatest hits collections...

Easy money.
                      Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by binnie

WTF with all this remake bullshit?

What happened to imagination & creativity?

Why is Hollywood falling behind television and ruining great old movies?

(enter Megan Fox)

I'd hit it................

(cgi car vs helicopter explosion inserted here)

copyright 2009. Binnie. All Rights Reserved.
                        unauthorized rewrite. Sadaist productions, 2009
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          So in a Cruise/Travolta version, would they be running off to South America to escape the evil warlord Xenu?
                          No. But we only get to view pieces of the film based on how much we pay.

Comment

• kwame k
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by chefcraig
                            Harvey Logan: Guns or knives?
                            Butch Cassidy: Neither?
                            Harvey Logan: Pick.
                            Butch Cassidy: I don't want to shoot with you Harvey.
                            Harvey Logan: [draws a big knife] Anything you say, Butch.
                            [Butch walks over to Sundance]
                            Butch Cassidy: [in a low voice] Maybe there's a way to make a profit in this. Bet on Logan.
                            Sundance Kid: I would, but who'd bet on you?
                            Harvey Logan: Sundance, when we're done, and he's dead, you're welcome to stay.
                            Butch Cassidy: [low voice, to Sundance] Listen, I don't mean to be a sore loser, but when it's done, if I'm dead, kill him.
                            Sundance Kid: [low voice to Butch] Love to.
                            [waves to Harvey and smiles]
                            Butch Cassidy: No, no, not yet. Not until me and Harvey get the rules straightened out.
                            Harvey Logan: Rules? In a knife fight? No rules.
                            [Butch immediately kicks Harvey in the groin]
                            Butch Cassidy: Well, if there aint' going to be any rules, let's get the fight started. Someone count. 1,2,3 go.
                            Sundance Kid: [quickly] 1,2,3, go.
                            [Butch knocks Harvey out]
                            Flat Nose Curry: I was rooting for you all along, Butch.
                            Butch Cassidy: Well, thank you, Flatnose. That's what sustained me in my time of trouble.
                            For my money, that is one of my favorite scenes of all time. The fucking smile and wave that Redford gave to Harvey(that is Lurch from the Addams Family, never put that 2 and 2 together) was funny but there was something in his eyes during that entire scene, a cold bloodiness. Redford and Newman(RIP) were a classic "buddy" team and you will never re-create it. Like Woodstock II, no matter how many bands you have and how many people show up, it'll never be the same as the original, it's a moment in time.

Sweet Jesus, please let this just be a rumor and if it is let's pray to God this doesn't give Tom and John the idea to do it. These morons probably would think it was a good idea.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0kpOyTQNgA8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd 311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0kpOyTQNgA8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd 311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>
                            Originally posted by vandeleur
                            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Me and my girlfriend got a free dinner thank to Robert Redford. We were making out on his property in Sundance, Utah and he asked us if us little love birds would like to try out some new dishes in his resturaunt. LOL! I said his property was so romantic we couldn't help ourselves.
                              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...