Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

They are very similar and simirly lame...

I once wrote a song almost exactly like A Passage to Bangkok totally by accident...

I can see how this can occur naturaly, especially given the simplicity of the songs in question...

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

I wrote the intro to "White Wedding" (Billy Idol) years before it
      came out. The riff is basically picking the Bminor chord at the
      second fretward, updwards... Yet my little variations (like
      going to the A and E chords) sounded the same.
      We wrote some really lame song using that. Our closest friends
      were the only ones to have heard it. Then a few years
      later those friends were coming up to me saying
      Billy Idol was playing our song !!! lol...

In Billy's defence we didnt have the same bass line..
      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

The bassline is the only thing that does anything in White Wedding...

The vocals are cool too, though...

Comment

• Panamark
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Yeah the bassline is cool, but Im talking the main intro riff.
          (Which is pretty dominant) Dominant enough that people
          outside our band thought Billy Idol ripped us off ! lol...
          (We wish !)

I was just trying to agree with you
          ELVIS !, we also wrote a song called "Disturbed Child" and the riff
          out of that sounds exactly like Rock Rock till ya Drop (Def Leppard)
          Yet our riff was around 2 years before I ever heard that song..

We used to joke about sueing all these guys, but as we have seen
          from this Chickenshit Guitarist V Coldgay thing, theres probably
          another half dozen songs using the same notes/melodies and riffs..

The old saying, there is only 12 notes !
          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Settled?

Coldplay and Satriani settle?

(Tuesday September 15, 2009 05:50 PM)

Joe Satriani's lawsuit against Coldplay has been dismissed from court, according to reports.

The legendary guitarist had previously claimed that Chris Martin and co ripped-off his 2004 song "If I Could Fly" for their 2008 single "Viva La Vida".

A jury trial was expected to take place following the legal challenge, which was issued in December.

However, international news sites are now claiming that the California Central District Court have decided against pursuing with the prosecution.

This suggests that an out-of-court financial settlement may have been reached by both parties with Judge Dean Pregerson.

Yahoo Link

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Andy Taylor
              'the group said Satriani's song "lacked originality"'

Ahahahahaha...
              God what fucking idiots.

As time goes on though, one can assume there would be more legal action in general, as we only have 8 tones to work with (in the Western scale).

Gonna get harder all the time to come up with original music. The good thing is, with 6 billion people on the planet, all different, the process of homogenization will be slower that it would.

Comment

• Anonymous
                Banned
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
                Joe "borrow" subliminally from these guys? Hmmmm...
                <object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/znrHzefl8cM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/znrHzefl8cM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>
                Holy fuck! That's not "borrowing" that's downright STEALING! Almost note for note, what the fuck?

Satriani should keep his fucking mouth shut.

I mean, he should sue Coldplay, but then again, we all should. But not for plagiarism.

I guess this is why "Satch" - *cough* gay *cough cough* - is getting along so well with Bette Midler. Two fucking shameless bastards.

I'm glad I clicked the latest reply to this forum, and ended up here by mistake.

Los Enanitos Verdes, here I come! Top shite - I'm gonna check a couple of albums. The Green Little Dwarfs, that's the translation. Sounds way funnier in Spanish. ANd very promising.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  However, international news sites are now claiming that the California Central District Court have decided against pursuing with the prosecution.

This suggests that an out-of-court financial settlement may have been reached by both parties with Judge Dean Pregerson.
                  In other words, Coldplay's lawyers would have torn apart Satraini in court. So in oder not to have any backlash brought on by Satraini, Coldplay's record label are throwing him a few crumbs.

Comment

• Blackflag
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kristy
                    In other words, Coldplay's lawyers would have torn apart Satraini in court. So in oder not to have any backlash brought on by Satraini, Coldplay's record label are throwing him a few crumbs.
                    I disagree. The burden was on Satch to prove things - and he walked away with money. It's a win. Coldplay paid rather than go to court.

Listening to the two songs back to back...people have lost copyright trials on a lot less similarity than that.

And stop spelling Satriani wrong.

Comment

• Anonymous
                      Banned
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                      Yeah the bassline is cool, but Im talking the main intro riff.
                      (Which is pretty dominant) Dominant enough that people
                      outside our band thought Billy Idol ripped us off ! lol...
                      (We wish !)

I was just trying to agree with you
                      ELVIS !, we also wrote a song called "Disturbed Child" and the riff
                      out of that sounds exactly like Rock Rock till ya Drop (Def Leppard)
                      Yet our riff was around 2 years before I ever heard that song..

We used to joke about sueing all these guys, but as we have seen
                      from this Chickenshit Guitarist V Coldgay thing, theres probably
                      another half dozen songs using the same notes/melodies and riffs..

The old saying, there is only 12 notes !
                      Not only that, Billy could also defend himself with "yeah, I stole the main intro riff, but the really kewl part, the bassline is mine, so there."

Would make you look a fool, Markster. Don't do it. But if you do, record it and put it on youtube.

Comment

• Anonymous
                        Banned
                        • May 2004

By the way, Los Enanitos Verdes sound cooler than they are. I mean, the name sounds cooler than they are. They're not bad, but it's kind of a hit-then-miss band. Light rock that has some good tunes, but nothing special.

Satriani should still be sued, though. So should Coldgay.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

All of these jokers should be looking over their shoulders, as Cat Stevens could sue the lot of them.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yVruURaUqOw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yVruURaUqOw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And it would be a long list...

1973 - Cat Stevens - "Foreigner Suite"
                          1981 - Martiy Balin - "Hearts"
                          1980's - Tim Armstrong - "Sing for your Supper"
                          2002 - Los Enanitos Verdes - "Frances Limon"
                          2004 - Joe Satriani - "If I Could Fly"
                          2004 - Cascada - "Piece of Heaven"
                          2004 - G&#252;nther - "Teeny Weeny String Bikini"
                          2007 - G&#252;nther - "Sun Trip (Summer Holiday)"
                          2007 - Creaky Boards - "The Songs I Didn't Write"
                          2008 - Coldplay - "Viva La Vida"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UuzaaGiNjy0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UuzaaGiNjy0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
                          Last edited by chefcraig; 09-16-2009, 06:19 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Anonymous
                            Banned
                            • May 2004

Yeah, alright, Chef. But with Cat Stevens, one COULD argue it wasn't intentional. But the Satriani/Enanitos stuff, well... it's THE EXACT SAME SONG!

It couldn't have been the "oh, there's only so many notes" routine. It's an EXACT COPY.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Apr 2005

So much shit sounds the same it's not even funny !! Joe's is pissing up a rope !! He should start to worry about the other songs that are older sounding like his tune !!

Comment

• Panamark
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Imapus_Sylicker
                                Not only that, Billy could also defend himself with "yeah, I stole the main intro riff, but the really kewl part, the bassline is mine, so there."

Would make you look a fool, Markster. Don't do it. But if you do, record it and put it on youtube.

Thanks mate, the song I wrote 25+ years ago is kinda lame when I
                                look back at it now. I dont think I will be rushing back to record it
                                again. If I can track down the dude who was singing at the time,
                                he will have it.. He was a real bower bird with anything involving
                                himself. Seriously our bassline was B A E B E A just steady, no
                                cool little riff like Steve Stevens did, basically just followed
                                the bass drum. But the guitar riff intro's to both (in Bm), exact.

I like Billy Idol, and I would be a dick just like "Joe Chickenshitriani" to
                                claim a simple reverse picked chord as my own and try and sue them.

Dont hold your breathe on it being youtubed anytime soon unless
                                our original singer decides to post it....
                                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...