X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shaun Ponsonby
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
    Yeah, the deaths happened during G'N'R, but no one knew about the deaths until after - Axl left the stage saying 'don't kill yourselves' but they never knew people had died in the pile up until they were in a bar later on celebrating and they saw it on the TV news. The crush happened during G'N'Rs 'It's So easy' - big rush on the stage - but dead bodies were pulled out after G'N'R left the stage.
    I always found it odd that GNR used footage of that show in the Paradise City video.

It would be the last show I'd want to take footage from for a video.
    Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Atomic_Rob
      Head Fluffer
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
      Yeah, the deaths happened during G'N'R, but no one knew about the deaths until after - Axl left the stage saying 'don't kill yourselves' but they never knew people had died in the pile up until they were in a bar later on celebrating and they saw it on the TV news. The crush happened during G'N'Rs 'It's So easy' - big rush on the stage - but dead bodies were pulled out after G'N'R left the stage. I don't remember Megadeth, who followed G'NR stopping their set. I'm pretty certain it was during Dave's set that people caught in the crush started coming out. The two dead were at the bottomg of a pile-up of injured people, so they were pulled out last - after the other injured people.

Dave never knew what was going on and although he did stop his show, he did so reluctantly. A few stories in the UK music press the following week were accusing Dave of not doing enough to stop more crushing after the real crush that killed those two guys happened.

I saw three of those Monsters of Rock things - 84, 86 and 88 - and I always thought that it was a dodgy set-up. They basically took your money and put you in a field that got pretty dangerous when it rained - and in England, it can rain anytime. I always wondered why they never had it in Wembley or some other stadium. Probably because it would have ate into their profits to rent out a venue that could cope.
      As you probably know, they have Download Festival at Donington now which has replaced the Monsters of Rock show, but since the deaths in 1988, the area in front of the stage has changed and the crowd is now divided in two down the middle to the front of house desk a few hundred feet back from the front barrier. This is one way to stop massive crowd surges, the other would be too add a golden circle which is used a lot in stadium gigs.

I wasn't born until 88, but I would imagine a lot of shows felt slightly rough around the edges shall we say, considering the over the top World we live in today where you can't fart without a public enquiry being held somewhere.
      Diamond Dave Is Van Halen. 'Nuff Said

Comment

• DlocRoth
        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by diamondsgirl
        object width="425" height="344">
        Would be a great segue on the next VH tour.......

Or on record. Since a cover almost always sneaks on the album.
        Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• diamondsgirl
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DlocRoth
          Would be a great segue on the next VH tour.......

Or on record. Since a cover almost always sneaks on the album.
          I would love it!
          “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• lewdicruss
            Roth Army Recruit
            • Feb 2010

crap, missed it

Comment

Working...