Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Fidel Castro: Obama 'misinterpreted' Raul's words

By WILL WEISSERT, Associated Press Writer Will Weissert, Associated Press Writer – 48 mins ago

HAVANA – Fidel Castro says President Barack Obama "misinterpreted" his brother Raul's remarks regarding the United States and bristled at the suggestion that Cuba should free political prisoners or cut taxes on remittances from abroad as a goodwill gesture to the U.S.

Raul Castro touched off a whirlwind of speculation last week that the U.S. and Cuba could be headed toward a thaw in nearly a half-century of chilly relations. The speculation began when the Cuban president said leaders would be willing to sit down with their U.S. counterparts and discuss "everything," including human rights, freedom of the press and expression, and political prisoners on the island.

Obama responded at the Summit of the Americas by saying Washington seeks a new beginning with Cuba, but he also said Sunday that Cuba should release some political prisoners and reduce official taxes on remittances sent to the island from the U.S.

That appeared to enrage Fidel Castro, 82, who wrote in an essay posted on a government Web site that Obama "without a doubt misinterpreted Raul's declarations."

The former president appeared to be throwing a dose of cold water on growing expectations for improved bilateral relations — suggesting Obama had no right to dare suggest that Cuba make even small concessions. He also seemed to suggest too much was being made of Raul's comments about discussing "everything" with U.S. authorities.

"Affirming that the president of Cuba is ready to discuss any topic with the president of the United States expresses that he's not afraid to broach any subject," Fidel Castro wrote of his 77-year-old brother, who succeeded him as president 14 months ago.

"It's a sign of bravery and confidence in the principles of the revolution," he said, referring to the rebel uprising that toppled dictator Fulgencio Batista and brought the Castros to power on New Year's Day 1959.

"Nobody should assume that he was talking about pardoning those sentenced in March 2003 and sending all of them to the United States, if the country were willing to liberate the five Cuban anti-terrorist heroes," Castro wrote.

He was referring to 75 leading political opposition leaders who were rounded up and imprisoned six years ago. Some 54 of them remain behind bars, though Raul Castro suggested last year that Cuba would be willing to liberate some political prisoners if U.S. authorities would free five Cuban spies.

Castro compared the prisoners arrested in 2003 to exiles who attacked the island's southern coast during the disastrous Bay of Pigs invasion in 1961 and said they were "at the service of a foreign power that threatens and blockades our country," referring to charges they conspired with Washington to destabilize the communist system.

The ex-president had previously expressed his admiration for Obama, but this time Castro blasted the new U.S. president for showing signs of "superficiality."

He also defended Cuba's right to levy a 10 percent fee on every U.S. dollar sent to relatives on the island by Cuban-Americans, saying if the money arriving from abroad "is in dollars, all the more reason we should do it because it is the currency of the country that blockades us."

All top Cuban leaders routinely call the 47-year-old trade embargo against this country a blockade.

"Not all Cubans have family members overseas that send remittances," Castro said, adding that Cuba uses the revenue from fees on exchanging dollars to provide free health care, education and subsidized food to all of its population.

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

ELVIS (04-22-2009)

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

My favorite piece of this....

"Obama said Sunday that Cuba should reduce official taxes on remittances sent to the island from the U.S."

Obama calling for someone else to lower their taxes? ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

4. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

swage33 (04-22-2009)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

I thought this thread was about Obama misconstruing Rual Paul's words...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post

"Obama said Sunday that Cuba should reduce official taxes on remittances sent to the island from the U.S."

You mean like he did on the middle classes?

7. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

LoungeMachine (04-22-2009)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Now Nick, you don't want to spoil Sadie's right wing fairy tales. Mush and BecKKK have him convinced that he's in the top 1% just like they are.

9. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

Blaze (04-22-2009),LoungeMachine (04-22-2009)

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

Like Nick and FORD pointed out, where exactly is the hypocricy that's causing this laughter fit you're in?

Yes or no. Has Obama called for tax reductions for a MAJORITY of Americans?

Simple question.

Then you can go back to your ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unbelievable

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's just getting old at this point, with online partisan "conservatives" being just like talking dolls with pull-chords making them say the same old talking-points cliche spam...

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    It's just getting old at this point, with online partisan "conservatives" being just like talking dolls with pull-chords making them say the same old talking-points cliche spam...

My God, it's going back to the old Tax and Spend Democrats mantra.

Yet, no one is saying how much their taxes have gone up?

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I thought this thread was about Obama misconstruing .... words...
    It is and it isn't. You have fallen victim to the media spin as I'm sure most people reading this story will. Obama did not "misinterpret" or "misconstrue" Castros words...the media did. It clearly states what each leader said, and neither of them said anything remotely close to what the media hyped all week and that eventually made Fidel upset. The media took a relatively innocent exchange of statements and ran with headlines & stories of how now that Obama is in charge, everything with everyone is going to be ok, just look at Cuba! 50 years and now Obama is the one who is going to finally make things good with Cuba. Raul Castro respects Obama so much he will do this & that to work with him and make things right.

Don't get me wrong here, Obama handled this beginning dialect with Cuba perfectly. I'm not blaming him one bit and think he may be on the right track as far as our relations go with Cuba. I'm blaming the media for misreporting this story from the start and blaming Obama for "misinterpreting" now that Fidel is throwing it back in their faces.

As for the tax quote, I just found that particularly amusing. Especially with the recent tea parties and Obama being likened to a Communist...like Castro. Obamas ideology fits rather nicely with Fidels on this last line....."Castro said that Cuba uses the (taxes) to provide free health care, education and subsidized food to all of its population."

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post

Yes or no. Has Obama called for tax reductions for a MAJORITY of Americans?
    I really don't give a fuck what he "calls for", I care what he actually does. President Bush called for "unifying" the country....how'd he do? But your answer is yes, he has called for it.

this laughter fit you're in?
    Dude, I'd much rather be in a fit of laughter than permanently on the rag. You've groaned 117 times so far as of the time of this post. Whine much?

Then you can go back to your ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YAYZ!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iEWgs6YQR9A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iEWgs6YQR9A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

50 years and now Obama is the one who is going to finally make things good with Cuba. Raul Castro respects Obama so much he will do this & that to work with him and make things right.
    It's inevitable that we will "make things good" - or at least better - with Cuba. Fidel is on his death bed and out of power. Raul won't be the permanent guy as he's no spring chicken himself, and he seems somewhat more open to change, "misquoted" or not. Obama may well be the US president in office when it happens, and hopefully he will handle it well. But it never could happen under a BCE administration, because no Castro is going to talk to the BCE, for obvious reasons.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I

Dude, I'd much rather be in a fit of laughter than permanently on the rag. You've groaned 117 times so far as of the time of this post. Whine much?

>
    I've also THANKED almost 800 times.

I just have to laugh at you Rush/Hannity/Beck -bots.

Think for yourself much?

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    It's inevitable that we will "make things good" - or at least better - with Cuba. Fidel is on his death bed and out of power. Raul won't be the permanent guy as he's no spring chicken himself, and he seems somewhat more open to change, "misquoted" or not. Obama may well be the US president in office when it happens, and hopefully he will handle it well. But it never could happen under a BCE administration, because no Castro is going to talk to the BCE, for obvious reasons.
    Like I said, I think Obama handled it great and I think he is on the right track with Cuba. Yet the story blames him for misinterpreting when it was actually the media that did.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've also THANKED almost 800 times.

:
    For a second I thought that said that you've WANKED almost 800 times. I was thinking I finally had you beat in at least one category.

19. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

LoungeMachine (04-22-2009)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    The whole U.S. policy towards Cuba needs to change. After some 50-plus years of failure by the hands of over-paranoid Rethuglicans running the State Department it's time to reappeal the embargos and restrictions and look upon the Cuban people as human beings in the world.

But really, I'd love to relax on a beach there sipping a Cuba Libre all day.

Yum!
    Last edited by Kristy; 04-22-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: for the yumness, of course

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    The whole U.S. policy towards Cuba needs to change. After some 50-plus years of failure by the hands of over-paranoid Rethuglicans running the State Department it's time to reappeal the embargos and restrictions and look upon the Cuban people as human beings in the world.
    Hmmm we've had 5 democratic presidents and 6 replublican in the last 50 years. That's a pretty even split... Majority of that time congress was a democratic majority.

What's so darn special about the current bunch?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well the problem with the 6 Republicans is that they were all BCE. And it's the BCE who's had the personal grudge with Castro. Seems that old Nazi Prescott Bush Sr. was making a good chunk of money off of Cuban sugar plantations under the Batista regime and that's why the CIA, specifically Poppy took such an interest in trying to fuck with Castro. Bay of Pigs failed, but Poppy spent years keeping the radical Cuban right wing alive in Miami, and when he moved north to DC, he turned those operations over to Jeb. Of course the BCE "agricultural imports" business also operated out of Miami. But that's a whole different subject.

peace and love
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-12-2014 @ 04:32 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Well the problem with the 6 Republicans is that they were all BCE. And it's the BCE who's had the personal grudge with Castro. Seems that old Nazi Prescott Bush Sr. was making a good chunk of money off of Cuban sugar plantations under the Batista regime and that's why the CIA, specifically Poppy took such an interest in trying to fuck with Castro. Bay of Pigs failed, but Poppy spent years keeping the radical Cuban right wing alive in Miami, and when he moved north to DC, he turned those operations over to Jeb. Of course the BCE "agricultural imports" business also operated out of Miami. But that's a whole different subject.

Man, this is so much bullshit. Ford, who is totally devoid of convictions and principles projects his perspective on everyone else in the world. Is it so far fetched that good people didn't want to validate a government that treats it's people the way communist governments do? Are we to forget that Castro offered his soil to the USSR so that they may have first strike capabilities allowing them to kill more Americans? I'm not responding to you for your benefit because I know you are truly lost in hatred. This is for the benefit of those who may not know.

By the way...If the BCE has so much power, why do you speak so freely about them? Don't you fear such power? Who protects you from them? What is the source of your power?

24. Thanked swage33 for this KICKASS post:

ELVIS (04-22-2009)

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swage33 View Post
    Are we to forget that Castro offered his soil to the USSR so that they may have first strike capabilities allowing them to kill more Americans?
    I thought Castro tried to deal with the U.S. First and We told him to fuck off, so then he went to the Soviets.

26. Thanked lesfunk for this KICKASS post:

FORD (04-22-2009)

peace and love
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    I thought Castro tried to deal with the U.S. First and We told him to fuck off, so then he went to the Soviets.
    With all due respect, Mr. Funk, this isn't about facts...this is about one-up-manship. Get with the program.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Sorry. Carry on then...

peace and love
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hey, I know we got groans and thank yous but how about a ritalin button? I think ford needs some. Apparently, his beatnik parents didn't give him enough.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Go fuck your sister, Cletus. And try something different this time, and make it the one who's "legal"

peace and love
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Go fuck your sister, Cletus. And try something different this time, and make it the one who's "legal"
    "You gotta help us, Doc! We've tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas!"

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It is and it isn't. You have fallen victim to the media spin as I'm sure most people reading this story will. Obama did not "misinterpret" or "misconstrue" Castros words...the media did. It clearly states what each leader said, and neither of them said anything remotely close to what the media hyped all week and that eventually made Fidel upset. The media took a relatively innocent exchange of statements and ran with headlines & stories of how now that Obama is in charge, everything with everyone is going to be ok, just look at Cuba! 50 years and now Obama is the one who is going to finally make things good with Cuba. Raul Castro respects Obama so much he will do this & that to work with him and make things right.

Don't get me wrong here, Obama handled this beginning dialect with Cuba perfectly. I'm not blaming him one bit and think he may be on the right track as far as our relations go with Cuba. I'm blaming the media for misreporting this story from the start and blaming Obama for "misinterpreting" now that Fidel is throwing it back in their faces.

As for the tax quote, I just found that particularly amusing. Especially with the recent tea parties and Obama being likened to a Communist...like Castro. Obamas ideology fits rather nicely with Fidels on this last line....."Castro said that Cuba uses the (taxes) to provide free health care, education and subsidized food to all of its population."
    So you use communist propaganda to spread disinformation whenever possible?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    The ex-president had previously expressed his admiration for Obama, but this time Castro blasted the new U.S. president for showing signs of "superficiality."
    Can't argue with that...

Obama still goes around as if he were on the campaign trail...

He's turning out to be a big disappointment...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Man, this is so much bullshit. Ford, who is totally devoid of convictions and principles projects his perspective on everyone else in the world. Is it so far fetched that good people didn't want to validate a government that treats it's people the way communist governments do? Are we to forget that Castro offered his soil to the USSR so that they may have first strike capabilities allowing them to kill more Americans? I'm not responding to you for your benefit because I know you are truly lost in hatred. This is for the benefit of those who may not know.

By the way...If the BCE has so much power, why do you speak so freely about them? Don't you fear such power? Who protects you from them? What is the source of your power?
    Don't forget how we "liberated" Cuba from Spain to be our bitch-colony, and then saddled them with 60 years of military dictator pricks backed by the Mob...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Thanks, because I wouldn't have wasted my time saying all of that...

But, I don't think FORD is totally devoid of convictions or principles...

Some of his posts (I hope) are for shock power, or the power of BULLSHIT...I hope...

But the BCE crap is tired, old and mostly BULLSHIT!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The "BCE crap" has all been well documented. But their actions are indeed bullshit. So is the fact that they keep getting away with it.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Don't forget how we "liberated" Cuba from Spain to be our bitch-colony, and then saddled them with 60 years of military dictator pricks backed by the Mob...
    And STOLE Gitmo from them.....

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    11-24-2009 @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

If someone ever invents a time machine, Ford gets first crack so he can sit down with Prescott. I'll buy the transcript and a T-shirt....

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 08:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks

..I'll tape the gun to the toilet.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Make sure to ask permission to use the bathroom first...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Everyone must have thought this through a bit. It's either true naivete on Obama's part or brilliant strategy. Hard to tell at this point.

If it is naivete, he probably took Cuba for a loop. I think he said things Raul wasn't truly prepared for, which prompted Fidel to clarify to preserve the status quo. I think Raul's remarks were a fishing trip. He was surprised perhaps to find a fish.

If it was strategy, it is brilliant. Opens up the idea of letting Cuba "back in the fold", which would call into question Cuba's Russian gambit entirely. Leaves more questions for Cuba to respond to the Russians over.

Cheaper than "forward projection" of power in these lean times.

Just not sure whether he meant it as strategy as I feel Chavez schooled him in terms of spin.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Until the Castros are dead and gone, and for a few years thereafter, Cuba will remain the Cuba as we know it...Obama isn't going to smooth talk then into his pocket, as he may very well think...

And judging by Fidel's comments (if they are in fact, his), he still has quite a bit of mental clarity, probably because in Cuba, they don't drink flouride and take vaccines for everything...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So the lack of Colgate with flouride is helping his foreign policy mental clarity?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    There have been much wilder theories floating around this forum...

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Time to retire the BCE crap Ford... in this example it makes you look fanatically stupid and quite shorthanded in the objectivity zone...

Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford & Regan had nothing rooted in your little Bush conspiracy camp in regards to adminsitration or State dept policy towards Cuba.

If your beloved Democrats were so fucking great... explain why relations with Cuba stayed firmly planted in the status-quo zone during the Kennedy, Johnson, Carter and Clinton administrations..?

Did grandma Bush have a BCE cattle-prod shoved up their asses too?

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Man, this is so much bullshit. Ford, who is totally devoid of convictions and principles projects his perspective on everyone else in the world. Is it so far fetched that good people didn't want to validate a government that treats it's people the way communist governments do?
    So I guess we'll boycott Wal-Mart and never buy an American flag or borrow Trillions of dollars to fund unjustified wars.
    All made possible by a Communist Country with a horrible human rights track record, You Know China.

You really are an idiot.

47. Thanked kwame k for this KICKASS post:

hideyoursheep (04-23-2009)

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    So I guess we'll boycott Wal-Mart and never buy an American flag or borrow Trillions of dollars to fund unjustified wars.
    All made possible by a Communist Country with a horrible human rights track record, You Know China.

You really are an idiot.

I will refer to the Made In USA thread NickD started. Still some things to be found, albeit much harder than during our grandparents youth.

49. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (04-23-2009)

Thread Information