Billy Sheehan discusses why he left David Lee Roth... 4/20/09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Sheehan discusses why he left David Lee Roth... 4/20/09

BigMusicGeek.com recently conducted an interview with legendary bassist Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big, David Lee Roth, Talas).

BigMusicGeek.com: What ultimately led you to your decision to no longer work with David Lee Roth following the release of (1988's) "Skyscraper"? Was there the proverbial "creative differences," or was it something on a more personal level?

Billy: "Dave took a chance. He decided to try a new direction with the music. In a way, he was right because he wanted to mix dance beats into the music. He was like, 'We need to be more dance-orientated.' And I was like, 'That's great', but it just wasn't me. I just couldn't get up there and do that kind of thing. So I was gone, but in a way he was right because dance music did become the next giant thing and now that's pretty much all there is. I call it karaoke aerobics. It's basically people doing karaoke because they're singers who don't really sing on their records and just get pitch-corrected. And then they get eight to twelve people to do aerobics next to them and that's ninety percent of the music that you see on TV now. So in a way, he was right, but the problem with doin' a switch like that when you're a rocker guy is that the rockers are going to hate you because you've turned on them and the dance guys are going to hate you because you were once a rock guy. So unfortunately, he fell between the cracks, but in a way he was right. He accurately predicted that dance music was going to come in. It did, but at the same time, we had a lot of other great music by a lot of other great bands. I just think he threw the dice and they just didn't come up with the number he needed."

Dance? I don't know about that. To this day, Skyscraper is my favorite solo album from Dave. It was definitely more pop/top 40 oriented. Billy still could have stayed and tore it up live. The he goes and does Mr.Big. Go figure.
    When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

Mr. Big = Lame
      This space for rent.

Comment

That's all well and good, but did Billy like Mr. Big's To Be With you?

Comment

Did i miss the "Stand Up" club mix back in the day or was he talking about slow dancing to "Damn Good"? Maybe Dave had a vision of MC Hammer's long running success.
          RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
          LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

I always have to laugh at the idea that Sheehan and Vai left Dave's band because they didn't like the commercial direction of SkyCrapper (admittedly Dave's worst album ever in my opinion)

Sheehan went to Mr. Big. Vai joined Coverpussy's revolving door joke of a "band". Both of which rivaled Van Hagar for pure Velveeta cheesiness.

Still waiting to hear that "REAL version of the Skyscraper" album that Billy claims to have the master tape for. Mr. Sheehan, you have heard of BitTorrent, right?
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Originally posted by FORD View Post
              I always have to laugh at the idea that Sheehan and Vai left Dave's band because they didn't like the commercial direction of SkyCrapper (admittedly Dave's worst album ever in my opinion)

Sheehan went to Mr. Big. Vai joined Coverpussy's revolving door joke of a "band". Both of which rivaled Van Hagar for pure Velveeta cheesiness.

Still waiting to hear that "REAL version of the Skyscraper" album that Billy claims to have the master tape for. Mr. Sheehan, you have heard of BitTorrent, right?
              Amen Amen Amen !!!
              Roth Army Icon
              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Didn't Billy also say that after he left the band and Skyscraper went platinum, he had a hard time getting his gold and platinum records from Warner Bros for the album? It seems like at the time, he was inferring that David had something to do with it and since Billy was on the outs, they were being dicks to him. According to Sheehan, he had to keep calling up the studio demanding his awards and after much diligence he finally got them.
                RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

I have a hard time believing a lot Sheehan's statements not only based on his "Mr. Big" cheese - but also on the fact he believes all of that Scientology bullshit...

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
                    I have a hard time believing a lot Sheehan's statements not only based on his "Mr. Big" cheese - but also on the fact he believes all of that Scientology bullshit...
                    He really didn't want to play the Mr. Big cheese. Xenu forced him to do it!
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Neither Sheehan nor Vai went onto lasting greener commercial pastures after leaving Dave's band.

Skyscraper was okay. It wasn't EEAS Pt 2, but odd left-hand turns are a signature of Roth's post-VH work.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdfresh View Post
                        I agree, anyone who REALLY believes in Scientology has big problems, can you imagine someone like that on the jury in your trial? Scary....
                        Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

Originally posted by Full Bug View Post
                          I agree, anyone who REALLY believes in Scientology has big problems, can you imagine someone like that on the jury in your trial? Scary....
                          No more scary than anyone else who buys into any of the other "invisible, omnipotent man who lives in the sky" theories.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                            No more scary than anyone else who buys into any of the other "invisible, omnipotent man who lives in the sky" theories.
                            Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                              No, it's worse....

Comment

Working...
                              X