Music editing software: Cut one-track wav album into sep tracks?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • degüello
    Sniper
    • Mar 2004

Music editing software: Cut one-track wav album into sep tracks?

I keep downloading these torrents where the album hasn't been cut into separate files for each song, and the whole album is one big FLAC track.

What's a good freeware program that will divide the file into separate files for each song?

Is there one that will automatically detect the songs' starting/ending points and make the correct edits?

Thanks!
    "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Audacity is a good freeware editor. Don't think it does FLAC files directly though, so you would have to convert it to a .wav first.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by degüello
      Is there one that will automatically detect the songs' starting/ending points and make the correct edits?

Thanks!
      Not that I know of...

Winamp will play flac files and it's free as well. But neither that nor Audacity will do what you're asking...

Manually is the only way I know...

Comment

• degüello
        Sniper
        • Mar 2004

Okay, thanks guys. Will try out Audacity.
        "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

You should download the free version of Winamp as well...

It comes in handy for many things and has a nice user-friendly layout with a good EQ...

Audacity is harder to use at first...

Comment

• Blaze
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

you can try an transcriber

All open source
            Some are very easy to use for simple breaks.
            digitalresearchtools / Transcription Tools

A voice recognition program could be taught to listen for the breaks, but How many hours do you have you want to convert?
            "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
            sigpic

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

I stapled my scrotum to the shower stall with an airnailer today, and I liked it.

DEWALT at Lowe's: 16-Gauge Finish Nailer

Comment

• degüello
                Sniper
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                You should download the free version of Winamp as well...

It comes in handy for many things and has a nice user-friendly layout with a good EQ...

Audacity is harder to use at first...

Yes, I used Winamp as an audio player, back in the day. It's great.

But does it allow you to edit/cut tracks?

Comment

• degüello
                  Sniper
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Blaze
                  you can try an transcriber

All open source
                  Some are very easy to use for simple breaks.
                  digitalresearchtools / Transcription Tools

A voice recognition program could be taught to listen for the breaks, but How many hours do you have you want to convert?
                  Will check those out, thanks for the links.

I don't want to convert anything, just snip big album-length .wav files into separate songs (ie. Master of Puppets is one, Highway to Hell is another).

Comment

• degüello
                    Sniper
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                    I stapled my scrotum to the shower stall with an airnailer today, and I liked it.

DEWALT at Lowe's: 16-Gauge Finish Nailer

Just the thin, fleshy skin-sack, or right through an actual testicle?

I could see enjoying the former, the latter might be uncomfortable. You should be careful.

Comment

• Blaze
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

LOL

``
                      `
                      `
                      `

Thats exactly what some of those does, It snips them down to what ever "segment" size you want to make the file manageable.
                      If it is wav. most any will do it.
                      This one looks to be the least complicated and free
                      Transcriber: "a tool for segmenting, labeling and transcribing speech" (open source, cross-platform)
                      Speech/song same thing, all about the file type
                      "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                      sigpic

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by degüello
                        Yes, I used Winamp as an audio player, back in the day. It's great.

But does it allow you to edit/cut tracks?
                        No...

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

You can do it on Reaper and it's free...

It's a multitrack recording program...

Comment

Working...