• Show
Clear All
  • ThrillsNSpills
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Jason Becker playing Hot for Teacher

Never Heard Recordings

from his demo to DLR.
    along with plenty of amazing recordings.
  • degüello
    Sniper
    • Mar 2004

Cool, thanks for posting that.
    "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• GAR
      Banned
      • Jan 2004

I never liked Jason's soul-less, mechanical playing style and disliked his trashy Carvin sound even more than that.

He does take some creative liberties, that's a plus. However, there is no however. I don't like his playing and that's the bottome line.

I did buy the "Cacophony" tape when it came out. I loaned it out after a few listens and it never came back as it got passed around like a month-old National Enquirer with Rosie O'Donnell on the cover with a story about how fat and disgusting she is.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Pretty cool stuff...

Drop in The Bucket demo is nice...better so than whats on the album...

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

He butchered the Hot For teacher solo...

That sweep crap gets old just like tapping does...

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I agree but I thought you were the big Yngwie fan????

Comment

• degüello
              Sniper
              • Mar 2004

It's remarkable that he learned the tunes and recorded that in a single night, if what he says is accurate. Pretty fluid and relaxed sounding. Effortless, really.
              "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• GAR
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

It sounds like the dbx compression of the tascam porta cassette unit.

I had one of those.

I buy the story that he did it in one night: I once went to an audition and the guy spent 3 hours smoking pot, and a half hour talking to me while duping his cassette copy of the demo he wanted me to learn.

I wasn't given the chance to listen and discuss it.. just "here ya go, gotta run, let me know"

So I wasn't surprised when I got home and it sucked.. I flipped it over and rerecorded a parody of his tune with a better solo using my Alesis HR16 drum machine, and left it on his answering machine.

I did that in an hour, programmed the drum machine with the correct verse-bridge-chorus count and my own Weird Al version of the guy's vocals with mock lyrics.

HFT could have been done in a day, what's so difficult about it especially when you'd have heard it 100 times on MTV that summer of 84, it was all over the radio, and if you was a EVH fan, you'd probably played the record a couple hundred times stealing the licks off it.

I say Becker had the song down years before he was asked for an audition tape!

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  I agree but I thought you were the big Yngwie fan????
                  Did that sound like Yngwie to you ??

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Yeah Gar, I had the Cacophony stuff as well...

What did they do, two albums ??

Comment

• GAR
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

I only had the one, bought out of curiosity.

Comment

Working...