Thread: What Happened to the Dave Sessions that Became 5150?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 3,461 Posts

What Happened to the Dave Sessions that Became 5150?

Did the sisters destroy them? I can see their logic in doing so to prevent the inevitable comparisons between Dave and Sam vocals and vibe on pieces of relatively similar music. But, could they still be in the vault? or did Ed make sure they were destroyed to insure nothing got out to be bootlegged? I'm sure I'm covering some old ground here, but nothing that recent and I'd like to know if anyone knows any of the second-hand stuff from the "inside?" I know I've heard (from Brett and the VH News Desk) that "Eat Thy Neighbor" was the first version of what became "Summer Nights," and was pretty close to it musically with few minor changes aside from vocals. I think it is said that there were about four or five demoed tracks with Dave that were almost ready for finalized mixing or for rerecording --including what became "Good Enough" and "5150."

P.S.: I think I've heard that Roth get's a cut from "5150" sales, like maybe 10-15%...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 05-03-2009 at 09:42 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    From what I recall reading, Dave and the band rehearsed for the 5150 sessions (at least this is what Roth and Ed both said in interviews following the split), but I've never read that Roth got as far as actually recording anything...have never read or heard anything along the lines of Roth getting any type of a cut or profit percentage from 5150 either.

Am not saying it is necessarily untrue that Roth did do some demo or test recordings with the band on some material that ended up on the 5150 album in the winter/early spring of 1985, but having never actually heard any of those demos myself, I can't really say.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Dan (05-03-2009)

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

I always figured that, if anything, the better parts of whatever Dave got done for 5150 were incorporated...I guess we all know Summer Nights existed in some form or another, but I've wondered if maybe elements of "5150" and "Get Up" might have had Dave's signature on them simply due to the fact that, with different vocals/lyrics, I could pretty easily see him performing them...

5. Thanked bueno bob for this KICKASS post:

Dan (05-03-2009)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

The music on 5150 sounds like two different bands. So you figure anything that's at all musically viable was written, and possibly recorded in some form, when Dave was still present, and the cheesy shit was the stuff entirely written after Hagar joined the group.

Sammy has admitted that the first thing they actually wrote together was "Love Comes Walking In". I think that pretty much tells the story right there.

7. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

bueno bob (05-03-2009)

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2021 @ 07:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 878 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bueno bob View Post
    I always figured that, if anything, the better parts of whatever Dave got done for 5150 were incorporated...I guess we all know Summer Nights existed in some form or another, but I've wondered if maybe elements of "5150" and "Get Up" might have had Dave's signature on them simply due to the fact that, with different vocals/lyrics, I could pretty easily see him performing them...
    I remember seeing an interview a long time ago where Ed said he wrote "5150" in a hotel room and called Sammy and played it for him over the phone, which suggests that it hadn't been written when Dave was still in the band.

Either way, it would be cool to hear any Dave 5150 sessions that might still exist.

9. Thanked Guitar Shark for this KICKASS post:

bueno bob (05-03-2009)

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Try getting Fearless Leader to discuss any involvement whatsoever with the project!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 2,004 Posts

Blog Entries
    Scratch tracks for some of the 5150 material Ed was cooking up with Roth in mind & still in the band was probably used but retooled for the stool...

You have to remember in this time period Ed was holed up in his new Howdy Doody Bat Cave... he and Shemp were writing and recording material. Odds are pretty high at the time Roth and Mad Anthony were not hanging around Ed's place acting all fucking colaborative on a daily basis. Probably by invite only when Ed was sober enough to remember he was in a band... or he needed one of them to do a liquor/drug run for him.

I'd be more interested to hear the material Roth did w/ Ed during the 2000-2003 failed attempts. It was a dark period for Ed which could have produced some heavy material and one of Dave's last creative periods ala Bar-B-Q. That could have yielded some good tunes potentially.

12. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

FORD (05-04-2009),Nickdfresh (05-04-2009)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

I'm hoping we'll hear ALL that stuff someday. Either in the long-rumored holy grail "box set" or maybe Wolfie will get into the vault when dad's not around and put all the stuff up at Trader's Den or Jam To This.

Oh yeah.... that Oakland 81 video too, Wolf. Just in case you're lurking.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    04-29-2012 @ 08:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ed could have easily lied about coming up with "Summer Nights " with Sham....it's not like he hasn't before.....

Thread Information