X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob_R
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Manny Ramirez tests positive

Dodgers slugger Manny Ramirez tests positive, suspended 50 games - MLB - SI.com

Manny tests positive

By Tom Verducci, SI.com

Los Angeles Dodgers slugger Manny Ramirez tested positive for a banned performance-enhancing substance, incurring an immediate 50-game ban and serving the highest-profile reminder yet that the use of such drugs in the testing area may have been reduced, but not eradicated.

Major League Baseball plans to announce the suspension later today. Ramirez, a baseball source told SI.com, explained to baseball officials he was uncertain that he was taking a banned substance and may have had a medical reason for using the substance.

The source said the substance was not classified as a steroid but was clearly defined as a banned performance-enhancer according to the drug agreement between baseball the players association. Banned substances can only be taken with prior knowledge and medical clearance from baseball's drug program administrators. Such exceptions are known as Theraputic Use Exemptions, or TUEs. The suspension is an indication that Ramirez did not have a TUE for the substance.

Ramirez is the first major star to be suspended under baseball's stricter drug-testing rules that went into effect in 2003. Until now, baseball and the players union have portrayed drug use in baseball has having been nearly eradicated in the past few years, pointing out that the major drig-related stories - involving Roger Clemens, Alex Rodriguez and the revelations in the Mitchell Report - involved drug use prior to the 2003 tightening of the program.

Ramirez ranks 17th on the all-time home run list with 533. Eight of those top 17 home run hitters played in what is commonly referred to as The Steroid Era. And six of those eight modern-day sluggers have been associated with performance-enhancing drugs: Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, Alex Rodriguez and Manny Ramirez. The only modern sluggers to have escaped such a connection are Ken Griffey Jr. and Jim Thome.
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Holy crap!

What is it with these guys, and this arrogant attitude of "They'll never catch me"? Even if he was taking a medication for an injury, the substance was clearly listed as a banned material. Now it is entirely possible the guy's medical advisers are complete and utter morons, yet still, are they not supposed to be professionals and therefore aware of this?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Haha, good times. FUCK the Dodgers....now I get to hear the excuses from the Doggie fans who have given me shit about Barry for years. Like Gagne wasnt fucking juiced out of his mind....

Comment

• Igosplut
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Wow, that's going to kick the Dodgers season in the nuts. Shit I'm glad that this didn't happen when he was with the Sox (and no, I not nieave enough to not think he wasn't DOING it then). Yes one would think that they'd smarten up, but then again Manny was never the sharpest tack in the box...
        Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Pennypacker
          Foot Soldier
          • Mar 2009

it was only a matter of time before this came out

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Amazing that ESPN etc. is already trying to make excuses and saying don't rush to judgement. Same thing with Clemens etc. With Barry and AROD it was GUILTY right off the bat.

Comment

• Pennypacker
              Foot Soldier
              • Mar 2009

should've gotten more than 50 games. its good to set a precedent with a big name player.

Comment

• Pennypacker
                Foot Soldier
                • Mar 2009

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Pennypacker
                  should've gotten more than 50 games. its good to set a precedent with a big name player.
                  Pen, under league guidelines isn't it 50 for a first offense, then it goes up on each new count?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Igosplut
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Paste from SOSH

Failure to comply with treatment program

* First failure to comply: 15 to 25-day suspension or up to a $10,000 fine
                    * Second failure to comply: 25 to 50-day suspension or up to a $25,000 fine
                    * Third failure to comply: 50 to 75-day suspension or up to a $50,000 fine
                    * Fourth failure to comply: at least a one-year suspension or up to a $100,000 fine.
                    * Any subsequent failure(s) to comply: The level of the discipline will be determined by the Office of the Commissioner, consistent with the concept of progressive discipline.

All suspensions are without pay.

Positive steroid test results

* First positive test result: 50 game suspension
                    * Second positive test result: 100 game suspension
                    * Third positive test result: lifetime ban

All suspensions are without pay.

He's saying it was a doctors prescription.....
                    Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Pennypacker
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by chefcraig
                      Pen, under league guidelines isn't it 50 for a first offense, then it goes up on each new count?
                      I think you're right about that.

Yet, we all know that in the upcoming days all we're going to hear is "Is this the first time Manny has used? Was he lucky not get caught in Boston?". Its because Manny's a well known star around the MLB. Im not saying that's why he deserves a bigger suspension but if you want to save the game, here's the chance to really punish a big name, and send a message to others who have/think about using banned substances. Let's not get started on A-ROD.

(Thanks for updating me there craig, getting me back for enlightening you on the Favre injury )

Comment

• WARF
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

What a fucking idiot.

He should be banned from baseball like Pete Rose.

Comment

• Pennypacker
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Mar 2009

"Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was okay to give me," Ramirez said.

"Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I've taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons.

"I want to apologize to (Dodgers owner) Mr. McCourt, Mrs. McCourt, (manager) Mr. Torre, my team mates, the Dodger organization, and to the Dodger fans.

"LA is a special place to me and I know everybody is disappointed. So am I. I'm sorry about this whole situation."

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Pennypacker
                            "Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was okay to give me," Ramirez said.

"Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I've taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons.
                            Hey Manny...that sounds like BULLSHIT!!

Too late asshole...J.C. Romero already owns that excuse.

The difference between you and Romero, Manny, is that many folks actually believe Romero.

Take a seat, dumbass. See you in July...
                            Originally posted by perilouspete
                            fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Bob_R
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Ramirez's banned substance is a women's fertility drug which hides steroid use.
                              Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

Working...