Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Vai kicks Ed's Ass

It is an age old debate here...

Who is better Ed or Vai....

Seriously...Vai would kick Ed's ass on stage right now...

After hearing the new song...Vai would simply kick Ed's ass all over the stage...

"Steve Vai is to the guitar what DLR is to the stage"

Sheep Pen Barn Boss
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    eddie would run circles around vai,
    i thought you was stuppid, now i know it
    Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    tjv...word to the wise...better to be thought a fool than to post and remove all doubt...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Is it an age old debate even worth having?

How do you quantify who's a "better" guitarist? Speed? Technical ability? If what was played provokes an emotional response (and isn't that all going to depend on the individual listener?)

Vai and Satriani...gotta be honest, here. The way both of them make themselves a little too readily available for every guitar mag on the planet and consciously portray themselves as guitar "heroes" does nothing to alter my perceptions of them. Neither are the be-all, end-all of guitarists. Wouldn't call either of them innovative, or especially original. Two talented players with high visibility.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vai sounds like Vai to me...he sure packs in guitar players every night to hear him...

But you are correct, music is subjective....

My point though is that Vai would kick Ed's ass on stage right now...IMHO

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vai is very good and has his own unique style. But Ed is a legend and more talented.

However, Vai is much more intelligent, not addicted to alcohol and being an asshole, and gives his fans what they want. The same can't be said for pitiful Ed.
    "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I grew up acknowledging Ed as a guitargod and nobody could touch him. However, that view slowly disappeared over time. To say that EVH is more talented than Vai is ridiculous. True, Ed is a guitar legend and Vai rode his coattails to fame, but Vai has surpassed him and there's no way Ed can touch him. Vai has continued to grow as a player, musician, writer, arranger, producer, engineer, etc. Ed has remained stagnant as a drunk, drug addict, a perpetual manic depressant and hasn't played a new lick since VH1. If there are any doubts, buy Vai's new dvd and watch him rip it up with Billy Sheehan and Tony MacAlpine. Ed got showed up by Steve Morse and Albert Lee on stage about 12 years ago. Oh yeah, he did his elephant call and horsie sounds. That was cute.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ed ruined his own legend with touching the keyboards and letting the bridge drone troll do the guitar playing in stage...that's when ed appeared in the keyboard - sections of the magazines...

when was the last time that you'd hear ed play something innovative and that made you go "wow"? not on that new "song"... he hasn't got "it" anymore...he's like an old tennis legend who invented a new spin on the ball....but now all the youngsters know how to play it...only better, faster and with more drive...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vai may be more innovative than Ed now, but if you look at their entire careers Vai is no match for Ed. In fact, if it wasn't for Ed, Vai might be working at the Via Vai Italian restaurant in San Francisco for a living.

Of course, the most innovative rock star of all is Dave.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed has more respect as a "guitar player" but Vai has more respect as a person. That's why Vai can be continuously creative and productive. Whereas Ed has to make up a bout with cancer (it was prevention, right?) so people can feel sorry for him.

Well Ed, I don't.
    The jellies kicked out the jams...

Up yours, Will.
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed was the master when it came to coming up with unheard of sounds or trying things nobody tried before. Judging from the latest spam song, I'd have to say the torch was passed to Vai or Satriani.

It isn't Van Halen
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vai grew as a musician.

Eddie played the same solo for 20 plus years.

Vai started a record label dedicated to releases by real musicians.

Eddie drank himself out of a marriage and a recording contract.

Vai is clearly ahead in the game of life.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    When it comes to solos, Vai can play faster than Ed. Probably has more technical ability than Ed as well.

In terms of expanding the borders of the instrument, Ed did more for guitar than Vai did. Not saying Vai isn't talented, but what he does isn't anything new. Sounds great, but not quite as original.

It isn't Van Halen
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Terry
    In terms of expanding the borders of the instrument, Ed did more for guitar than Vai did. Not saying Vai isn't talented, but what he does isn't anything new. Sounds great, but not quite as original.
    Sure, the blueprint of 80's guitar was his. You just can't rest on your laurels though.

It's pretty telling when a musician of that stature and influence can fuck up enough to be dropped by the label they made millions for.

If he were to drop his bullshit and just get out there and play, he could easily regain his place.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Outside of Guitar World-philes, not really sure there's a mass audience for the style Ed pioneered, so even if Ed makes the effort there may not be a summit to reach. When I listen to what's on contemporary rock radio today, I'm not hearing a lot put out in terms of technical ability.

Think the timing was right when Van Halen reached their peak in the early 1980s regarding what a rock audience wanted in terms of both great songwriting and musicianship from a band along with sheer entertainment.

Seems like these days many are willing to settle for less on all fronts from today's bands.

"Lady's Man"
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Been watching this Joe Satriani trained Steve Vai for 15 years and like that crazy MF on stage. Oh yeah, Vai can blister the fret board with amazing riffs.

Most guitarists play from their fingers/their conscious mind. But the true legends, play....actual "channel" from their inner sole....their subconscious.

Vai plays from his fingers, that's why Dave started getting pissed at him when they were together. Vai still has this problem today. In the 70's, Eddie V was criticized for the same problem by many elite music professionals, but over time was able to go internal with his playing and become one of the greats. Unfortunately, those years are only distant memories now!
    <center>Accept Only Van <strike>Halen</strike> Roth Classic!
    "Everyday becomes a better Diamond Dave day"</center><center>http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6002/03Way.jpg
    </center><marquee><b><font color=Blue><size=+4>The 2004 Spammy “Eat It & Puke” Van ReHash Tour * Coming to a "This Suit is You" Store In Your Tiny Little Neighborhood. Brought to you by the Hemlock Society, Underground Bulemics United, PUTR - People for the Unethical Treatment of Rockfans, & a Special Message from Eddie & Alex Van Halen - Fuck you guyssss!!!!! </size></font></b></marquee></font>
    <center>
    "Those cats had me so beat down & confused, made the cancer seem like a tiny zit on my ass..I don't have a clue what's going on"-EVH</center>
    <center>Click>"Hot Chicks for Dave" & "Dave’s Cavalcade of Bimbos"</center>

It isn't Van Halen
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by gslinger
    [B]Most guitarists play from their fingers/their conscious mind. But the true legends, play....actual "channel" from their inner sole....their subconscious.
    You hit the nail on the head, there.

I was lucky enough to catch Stevie Ray Vaughn live umpteen many years ago.

The man literally left the building when he played. Every damned note said something and he had you by the balls the entire time. He could go on like that forever.

"Lady's Man"
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by freak
    You hit the nail on the head, there.

I was lucky enough to catch Stevie Ray Vaughn live umpteen many years ago.

The man literally left the building when he played. Every damned note said something and he had you by the balls the entire time. He could go on like that forever.

--------------

I had the privilege of getting to know SRV personally, but not close. Supposedly, I own ones of the largest collections of SRV memorabilia in the country, second only to his estate. My damn music studio looks like some kind of weird shrine. Yeah, he left an impression when he permanently left the building. I wish Eddie V had met and gotten to know Stevie. I seriously believe had this occurred, everything would be different right now, and Eddie wouldn’t be dumping all over himself, the people around him, and most importantly his fans.

"Lady's Man"
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ya know, Heaven already has a great rock band that doesn't need a fifth player, if someone could just get Eddie to stop pickup up the fifths............

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who is inbetween Jimi and Randi?

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How many of you are guitar players? If you are a guitar player then the obvious answer is VAI. Please listen to his work with Zappa or read about how he got the gig in Zappa's band. Then think about how VAI made the 7 string guitar popular in late, late 80's and how Korn and a million other bands used that guitar to create a whole new sound. Go to Vai.com and learn about who he is playing with and some of the amazing things he is doing with orchestras. I love EVH playing on VH! through 1984. But comparing VAI talent wise to EVH is like comparing a lexus with a pinto. Now songwriting skills is a whole nother topic which I think EVH has got VAI beat, escpecially in the rock catagory

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by estang74
    How many of you are guitar players? If you are a guitar player then the obvious answer is VAI. Please listen to his work with Zappa or read about how he got the gig in Zappa's band. Then think about how VAI made the 7 string guitar popular in late, late 80's and how Korn and a million other bands used that guitar to create a whole new sound. Go to Vai.com and learn about who he is playing with and some of the amazing things he is doing with orchestras. I love EVH playing on VH! through 1984. But comparing VAI talent wise to EVH is like comparing a lexus with a pinto. Now songwriting skills is a whole nother topic which I think EVH has got VAI beat, escpecially in the rock catagory
    If Ed hadn't of reinvented the electric guitar in 1978, Vai would not do half the things he does. Saying Vai is better than Ed is like saying Ted Nugent is better than Jimi Hendrix.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    wow. nice comeback. Ya think EVH could ever play in Zappa's band? EVH got famous because of tapping which he didn't even invent. He influenced millions of guitar players with that. Maybe you should do a little more research when it comes to music and music history.

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There is more to music than technical ability. If that was all that mattered we wouldn't be talking about Stevie Ray Vaughn. Sure technically speaking, Vai probably can play things that Ed can't play. But so what.

And if you think Ed's only innovation was tapping you need to learn a bit about music yourself.

It isn't Van Halen
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by dave_is_vh
    If Ed hadn't of reinvented the electric guitar in 1978, Vai would not do half the things he does.
    And Vai would be the first to admit it too.

Eddie opened the floodgates a lot like Hendrix did. Just listen to the music from that time, or remember it if you are old enough. You had a lot of Rod Stewart, bubble gum pop and the tail-end of the disco thing going on. The Villiage People.. Stuff like that. Kiss even caught the disease eventually and released Dynasty. Then you heard Eruption/You Really Got Me on the radio....BAM! A whole decade of amazing players were inspired. Bye bye disco. Bye bye Tiger Beat. So long Leif Garrett. The Villiage People were sent back to the bathhouse they came from.

No shit... It was all Eddie.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    what else did eddie do that was innoventive?

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vai's entire style is based on how he uses the tremlo/whammy bar. Without the whammy bar Vai would have an entirely different sound.

Well Ed was the first person to use the whammy bar the way Ed does. Like tapping Ed did not invent the whammy bar, but he completely redefined the way people use it.

Although Vai has his own approach to using the whammy bar, it is based on Ed's innovations in this area.

If you think Vai is more innovative than Ed you obviously have not been listening closely to guitar players for very long.

Zero Discipline
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    After hearing IAT, I don't think either of them have it.

Used to be Eddie over Vai because he had fretwork and soul while Vai is a mere technician--unless you compare him to Malmsteen, but that's for another day.

Soul left Mr. Ed in '85 and the smell has worn off.

Hollywood Jesus... "You can't handle the Truth."
    "Float like a butterfly. Sting like a B-52." - DLR=VH=
    "Rejoice in the wife of your youth. May her breasts satisfy you always." Proverbs 5:18-19.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Eddie was always better than Vai, but Vai was good for Dave for those two albums.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Steve Vai is a super nice fella, hell he's gone out of his way to do interviews for us. Anyway, I respect Steve as a person and his technical ability is pretty scary. However, I don't like his mosquito tone and his songwriting sometimes is a bit out there.

Ed on the other hand is a dick who doesn't care about his fans. He also has great technical ability, and has written some of the greatest guitar riffs known to man. His tone USED to be the most perfect guitar tone in history...now it ain't.

Neither one of these guys are as interesting without Diamond Dave standing beside them.

My point? I have no clue, but I do know that you wouldn't have a Steve Vai if it wasn't for Eddie Van Halen.

guwapo_rocker
    Neither of the two is as good without Diamond Dave telling them what to do and structuring their songs!!!

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by estang74
    what else did eddie do that was innoventive?
    Oh, and by the way, "innoventive" is not a word!

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
    Neither of the two is as good without Diamond Dave telling them what to do and structuring their songs!!!
    Without Dave they're nothing.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed is not the first one to use the tremolo bar the way he did. Hendrix was doing it a decade before Ed even thought about it.

And that's another thing that pisses me off about Ed. He never acknowledges Hendrix as an influence. It was always Clapton. He always said Hendrix was too weird. I've got live bootlegs of Hendrix and there are times where he sounds just like early VH with the tone and some of his licks. Ed is just too insecure to acknowledge anyone that might be better than him.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Steve Vai Has said that he's famous thanks to EVH. He also admits EVH is one of his biggest influences. I'll find the guitar world magazine I have, and I'll let you know waht issue that was.
    Yu shouldn't even compare Vai with EVH. He might play faster and cleaner. But faster doen't mean better. Vai has a couple of really soulful solos like, blue powder and ladies night in bufalo. Few good ones, but other than that I wouldn't put it on the same league as VH.
    He is on Malmsteen,Satrriani, kind of league. Nobody touches EVH exept maybe Hendrix, which I dont think was as creative but what the hell!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If it wasn't for eruption solo, probably there wouldn't be Satrianis or Manlmsteesn, or Vais. Sure, many people play faster now, but where were they when Eruption came along? Still peeping on their pampers musically speaking.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hendrix wasn't as creative as Eddie? LOL!!!

Pied piper of poontang!!!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I watched a Steve Vai concert on VH1 classics the other night. I honestly didn't care for it. It was good to see Billy Sheehan playing with him. He did do a decent cover of fire but Jimi Hendrix. That was the high point for me.
    If I want any shit out of you, I'll squeeze your head.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Where they playing with Roth in that VH1 concert or not really?
    aT WHAT TIME DID YOU SEE THAT SHOW!

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by darkknight
    Ed is not the first one to use the tremolo bar the way he did. Hendrix was doing it a decade before Ed even thought about it.
    If you think Hendrix and Ed use the whammy bar the same way, you need to get your hearing checked!

Thread Information