Thread: I say bull!!!!!!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I say bull!!!!!!

I'm watching Largo 83 and just have a really hard time believing there isn't squat for pro-shot live shows w/Dave. I've read a few things about VH vids.

Story 1: Ed has everything (which I believe). There were a handful of shows from 83 or so to 85 that were pro-shot but they have been uncared for and may be too damaged to use.

I find this hard to believe. Some of the Kissology vids had to have some major restoration. Not to mention all the old movies that get restored every year.

Story 2: There is nothing. Anything that was done was a camera at the soundboard and it was only for the band to use to improve the show.

While possible I doubt this too. Far lesser bands with far less budget did tons of pro-shot shows.

This is a great show. Sad they rarely give the bands what they really want. New music? DLR-era live stuff? I'll believe it when I see it I suppose. They should put out a box with a new disc and at least 2 live shows. I'd buy that.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Largo video was filmed in house by the venue itself, just to show on the monitor screens during the show itself. It was never intended for release, but someone inside obviously was making their own copies and circulating them. A lot of bootlegs came from that venue and a few others across the country through that method.

On the other hand, there is definitely the Oakland shows from 1981 and the show from 1979 where three clips were aired on TV. It's reasonable to think they filmed the entire shows, though there are stories of the original tape being damaged or some how "unusable"

Of course there's the US festival show, which was definitely pro-shot and aired on Showtime at the time. Showtime is a CBS/Viacom company so there may be licensing issues, VH being a Warner Brothers act. I doubt it would ever officially see the light of day though, because the entire band is shit-faced drunk. An entertaining show, and a Hell of a performance from a fan perspective, but probably not "professional" enough for the corporate types. That's why they're happier to sell you "Live Without A Singer" or that other tequila soaked overdubbed piece of shit "Right Here, Wrong Singer".
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Remember Ed is a fucking 'Nut Job'

Wasn't it reported somewhere that during the recording of 1984, if things didn't go his way he would burn the tapes etc.

Well since the split in 1985 VH & Dave fought via the press for about 20+ years, in that time ED would have been 'off his face' on many ocassions and just might have done something stupid, like burn some tapes (video tapes).

Remember this is the guy who was not happy with himself while pissed and cut all his hair off, this is the guy who thought he could mix the live album then broke down in one of his crying fits with Al trying to comfort him (reported on this site somewhere)

So it just 'may' be possible that Ed did the unthinkable.

Hugs

Katie

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by katie View Post
    ED would have been 'off his face' on many ocassions and just might have done something stupid, like burn some tapes (video tapes).

So it just 'may' be possible that Ed did the unthinkable.
    Eddie burn video tapes with Roth to try & erase him? NO WAY! That would be like removing Michael Anthony from the old album covers.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Another possibility stems from Nathan Roth's managing the band, helping them get into clubs and renting the Pasadena Civic, had a videocorder. Whether he used it or not, and whether he saved the first-gen copies made AND they survived pose an interesting possibility.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ten albums, in the can. That's horse puckey.. or it would be out by now.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bA13kF56biY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bA13kF56biY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    Another possibility stems from Nathan Roth's managing the band, helping them get into clubs and renting the Pasadena Civic, had a videocorder. Whether he used it or not, and whether he saved the first-gen copies made AND they survived pose an interesting possibility.
    I know he was quite rich but who had video cameras in 1977? I remember even VCRs being a real rarity in those days. He may have recorded some cine but that's not much fun to watch and usually had no sound.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's the only known lists of vault material 1980-1985 stored at Pacific Titles... includes audio and video in several formats. Total of 11 pages of info.

VHTrading.com - The Van Halen Trade Site - Tour Files - Pacific Titles Archives List

Sample... VHS duplicates:

"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There are a handful of great (performance not so much quality) pro-shot South American shows from January of 1983. I doubt those tapes still exist though... Oh, that Largo show is 82, not 83.
    Last edited by VAiN; 05-24-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Eddie burn video tapes with Roth to try & erase him? NO WAY! That would be like removing Michael Anthony from the old album covers.
    Ha!!!!!!!!
    If you listen to fools
    The Mob Rules

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I know he was quite rich but who had video cameras in 1977? I remember even VCRs being a real rarity in those days. He may have recorded some cine but that's not much fun to watch and usually had no sound.
    (btw most XLNT post Zah)

Well back then they came in two pieces of luggage, one was the camera and powersupply with video unit, and the other unit was the actual tape drive itself.

They had sound alright, an aunt of mine worked for a time at Columbia and owned a videocorder - that's how she bootlegged StarWars.. rented the local theater for a private viewing, then setup the camera and voila!

I don't know what brand she had but I believe it was a Betamax from the smaller-sized cassette tapes. Thats how I saw Star Wars, because we were on welfare I saw it at my aunts' and the sound was just fine! 1978!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    There are a handful of great (performance not so much quality) pro-shot South American shows from January of 1983. I doubt those tapes still exist though... Oh, that Largo show is 82, not 83.
    Yeah, those tapes were several generations down the line before digital copies were ever made, unfortunately.

But if the master copies existed somewhere in a South American TV studio, that could probably be made into one Hell of a DVD. And considering that I've seen bootleg DVDs made in Brazil in retail stores in a mall (the type of corporate establishment that usually wouldn't touch bootlegs) I'm actually surprised the Rio/ Argentina shows from 83 haven't surfaced yet in that format.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Yeah..... I was confused. I have San Paolo 83 and Largo 82. I was watching Largo yesterday. San Paolo today. The Ed and Al jam on the San Paolo show is so freaking good!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I think Nathan Roth helped the band financially and gave then a rehearsal space to use. Nathan Roth was an eye surgeon I believe and one of my friends is one. They work long-long hours and are very busy. If Dr. Roth was practicing medicine he wouldn't have the time to manage a band as busy as Van Halen was. I think in the early club days, Alex was the manager and did the venue booking himself.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrolldork View Post
    Yeah..... I was confused. I have San Paolo 83 and Largo 82. I was watching Largo yesterday. San Paolo today. The Ed and Al jam on the San Paolo show is so freaking good!
    Yeah, during that short SA tour they we jammin out 'Girl Gone Bad' in the middle of SGMAD... awesome stuff! The setlist on that tour was awesome too with everything from ZZ Top to Elvis covers...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anything with Mike on it will not see the light of day until Ed is dead !!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah that's a good point but then the rules constantly change in his tiny addled mind.

Thread Information