Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,063 Posts

Blog Entries

Windows 7

Okay, so I downloaded their release candidate from HERE and all I can make of it thus far is Micro$oft didn't do anything new - except add a bunch of graphic gimmicks - but put Vista on steroids. The giants icons in the task bar can get to be annoying but the picture library features are, well, I must say, a bit awesome but that is about as far as I gotten into it.

So if you're a geek you may want to try it out for yourself. You'll need a DVD drive to copy the OS from them and for the whole ISO/DVD copy bit DO NOT use ISOBuster (they hook you in and try to milk you for $30 to unlock the key) try Free ISO.com (I'm to lazy to google the link) and give it a go - takes about an hour to install plus going on line for a anti-virus program that supports Windows 7.

It's definitely different but I've yet to be impressed with it thus far.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Thumbs up

I thought the Windows 7 platform was brought about mainly to make it equal to Vista, essentially having nothing new to offer from what Vista already has. I'd be interested to hear how this works for you by comparison, as we both seem to be of the opinion that Vista blows chunks all over the dashboard.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Originally I believed that Windows 7 was intended to refine XP but really what Micro$oft did was refine Vista and take out all the failed drivers and allow more third-party software to work. The graphics and annoying permission to continue icons are still there along with their lame back-up reminders.

It also seems to disconnect you from the internet when you shut down even while on modem or DSL. It's really nothing new except the kind of crap one would expect the folks at Micro$oft to deliver: Windows Media, XPS Viewer, Desktop Gadget galley which is another lame rip off of Clocx and all the free shit Firefox can deliver on their browser but that Snipping tool is kinda of neat. Windows Media Player...eh, it's crap. The games are essentially the same as with Vista oh, and you do get a new-fangled calculator! Boy howdy!

Like I said it's Vista on steroids but with a bit more ease of use. I really haven't gotten into it yet to see all it can do or can't do but download it for yourself and give it a try.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Nope, not even going to try it. XP works great for me, after a ton of tweaks. Micro$oft always rushes to release flawed programs on the public. I can't think of one op sys they got right and I wish I had the extra $$$ to get a Mac.

I too would be interested in hearing how it works for you.

I usually wait about a year or so after a new op sys is released before I upgrade.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It's a bit of a pain to download but it's worth the try. But it's good to be cautious. Remember, this is "beta" software which for Micro$oft essentially means "look, if it fucks up, don't come crying to us."

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post

I too would be interested in hearing how it works for you.
    So far on my desktop with only 1 gig of RAM it chews up about 43% on idle which is tolerable I guess for I have removed spyware that has taken up a lot more. Plus, it doesn't override your current XP OS; you can switch between the two on your BIOS startup.

Basically, it's Vitsa redux with some goofiness but this is Mirco$oft we're talking about.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Just as Windows 98 was really just Windows 95 with bugfixes, and XP was really just Windows 2000 with a new interface (that I never liked and always went back to the classic theme anyway)

Difference here is that Windows 95, 98, and especially Windows 2000 are still respectable incarnations of Windows. Micro$oft is going to do their damndest to make you forget the name "Vista" ever existed within the next few months. Just like most have forgotten "Windows ME" and "Bob".

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    On a slightly relative note: Micro$oft released their Service Pack 2 for Vista this morning (my lap top runs on Vista) and have to have it's one hell of an improvement in both speed and freeing up a lot of useless crap on the hard drive. Could Micro$oft be turning a new leaf...

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    So far on my desktop with only 1 gig of RAM it chews up about 43% on idle which is tolerable I guess for I have removed spyware that has taken up a lot more. Plus, it doesn't override your current XP OS; you can switch between the two on your BIOS startup.

Basically, it's Vitsa redux with some goofiness but this is Mirco$oft we're talking about.
    That's cool that you have to dual boot feature.

It's the old saying for me, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", as far as wanting to get rid of XP.

I used Vi$ta and really just didn't like it. Didn't like the interface and just about everything else, too.

43% on idle? Is that good, I never really checked on my sys. Gonna have to look.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Vista is semivaporware then, if they don't get an OS release right yet on the ver1.0

Thread Information