X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Walker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

OZZY OSBOURNE Sues TONY IOMMI Over Ownership Of BLACK SABBATH Name

OZZY OSBOURNE Sues TONY IOMMI Over Ownership Of BLACK SABBATH Name - May 29, 2009
    According to the New York Post, Ozzy Osbourne has filed a lawsuit against his BLACK SABBATH bandmate Tony Iommi, claiming that Iommi illegally took sole ownership of the band's name in a filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Osbourne is suing Iommi for a 50 percent interest in the "Black Sabbath" trademark, along with a portion of Iommi's profits from use of the name.

The Manhattan federal court suit also charges that Osbourne's "signature lead vocals" are largely responsible for the band's "extraordinary success," noting that its popularity plummeted during his absence from 1980 through 1996.

Iommi and Geezer Butler have both said some less than kind things about working with Osbourne in a new interview with Decibel magazine. The pair recently completed a new studio album as HEAVEN & HELL, the post-Ozzy version of SABBATH featuring vocalist Ronnie James Dio, and Butler said that working with Dio was much easier than Osbourne. He explained, "Ronnie's a songwriter in his own right — he's got tons of ideas. Whereas Ozzy . . . in the old days, he'd come up with a vocal line and I'd write the lyrics. Ronnie is 100 percent involved in both the musical side and the vocal side, and he writes his own lyrics as well."

Butler added that Osbourne didn't take him seriously as a songwriter, saying, "If we were with Ozzy and I came in with the killer riff of all time, Ozzy wouldn't even think of doing it because I'm not the guitarist and that's the way he thinks . . . That's why it was so bloody hard to write anything."

Butler said about HEAVEN & HELL's debut CD, "The Devil You Know", "If we'd written this album with Ozzy, we'd still be working on the first track."

Iommi added that there was a sharp difference between the singers live as well, saying, "It was great being with Ozzy on the road . . . but with Ronnie it's a lot different, because we go out and we know exactly what we're gonna be doing. With Ozzy, we didn't really know. It was touch and go sometimes on some of those early shows, whether he was gonna turn up, if he'd be able to sing, if his voice was gone, or what. We'd have to cancel shows, which Geezer and myself really hated. But with Ronnie, we've never canceled a show."

HEAVEN & HELL will tour Europe later this spring and summer, with North American dates scheduled for August.

Ozzy Osbourne is currently working on his next solo album.
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

Jesus Christ! Ozzy was a big element to Sabbath's success but what would Sabbath be without the riffs. Nothing. That whole band was the reason for it's success. Every member created something that was truly unique for it's time. Dio with Sabbath was successful and from the sounds of it, a much better fit.

You know Sharron is behind all of this. Fucking cunt!
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• WACF
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Unreal...

I actually thought Iommi had the rights to the name...I seem to recall him saying they could of continued calling the band Black Sabbath but chose H&H...

This has twat all over it...someone should egg her...

Comment

• Coyote
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Fubar.
        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

$

Plain and simple.

The lawyers will see the majority of what comes from this...

Originally posted by Kristy
          Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
          Originally posted by cadaverdog
          I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

What's the matter, not got enough money?

Fucking pathetic.
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
              Veteran
              • Jun 2005

This is bullshit. Why didn't Ozzy do it after he left and went solo and they carried on with Ronnie? Why didn't he do it after Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, and then 5 albums with Tony Martin? Why not after the success of Dehumanizer? This is f'ing insane and Sharon has to be behind it. No way Ozzy just all of a sudden got a hair up his ass and decided to file suit when he has only made one record with them in 30 years.
              After the quality of Black Rain he should file suit against himself for impersonating a heavy metal singer.
              RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
              LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                Veteran
                • Jun 2005

Maybe he should also sue the producers of Weekend at Bernies and the ensuing sequel. Everyone knows Ozzy has been dead for years. Fuck i'm pissed.
                Last edited by sonrisa salvaje; 05-29-2009, 12:21 PM. Reason: Toned it down a bit.
                RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• katie
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Nov 2004

I read in Paranoid: Black Days With Sabbath & Other Horror Stories
                  By Mick Wall that Ozzy was paid off to the sum of £80,000 in 1979.

He signed the contract relinquishing his rights to the name Sabbath.

Each member has done a similar deal over the years giving Tony sole ownership.

The link below is another legal fight Tony is involved with, this time with Netwerk Inc & Live Nation.

These are the court papers that were filed in Dec 2008. They detail Tony's ownership of the Sabbath name etc.

Link - Complaint Black Sabbath

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Tony's not even using the name these days with Dio ('Heaven and Hell') so what's the point?

I guess, as Lounge put it, its all about $$$$$.

I take it Oz's new reality show is not taking very well not to mention his recent CD sales.

Or maybe there is a hint of jealousy over Tony and Geezer's success with Dio again.
                    =V V=
                    ole No.1 The finest
                    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• kwame k
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                      Tony's not even using the name these days with Dio ('Heaven and Hell') so what's the point?

I guess, as Lounge put it, its all about $$$$$.

I take it Oz's new reality show is not taking very well not to mention his recent CD sales.

Or maybe there is a hint of jealousy over Tony and Geezer's success with Dio again.
                      Bingo but it's Sharron who is pissed not Ozzy. I doubt he even knows that Dio and Sabbath are together.
                      Originally posted by vandeleur
                      E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Apr 2004

Just yesterday I was talking to my daughter (she's 15 and has a huge interest in classic rock) about Sabbath.

Most girls would ask things like "Mommy, how do butterflies get their wings?"

My daughter asks "Mommy, who was playing lead guitar on War Pigs?"

Anyway...I'll have to add this little "current event" to our history lesson.

It does suck, and sounds more like $haron than Ozzy.
                        “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

What would be funnier is if the first person who called John Osbourne "Ozzy" showed up and decided to sue him for use of that name.

That would be justice.

Hasn`t Oz got enough money already, for fucks sake?

Ozzy is the new Gene Simmons, only 100 times worse.
                          sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• indeedido
                            Veteran
                            • Feb 2004

:dafinger:
                            This space for rent.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

How does Ozzy figure he owns 50% of the name?

I could understand it if he claimed 25%, and that Geezer and Bill Ward would each be entitled to 25% also. And I definitely agree with Ozzy that the band should have never been called "Black Sabbath" after the original split, and a complete joke to call it that on any of the Iommi solo albums (and that's what they were) from 1986 to 1995. (Dehumanizer notwithstanding - that was a "Heaven & Hell" album)

But this is obviously a Sharon cash grab. Ozzy probably wasn't even in the lawyer's office when they wrote up the lawsuit.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...