Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Panamark View Post
    Its an eternal struggle....

How to remember and retain respect for a former Rock hero,
    while at the same time hating his wife/manager as much as Hagar...

I hold onto my original line up Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman
    recordings like gold. After hearing Sharon's abortion remixes
    without Kerslake and Daisley, those albums need to be
    protected somewhere, by some fucking Rock police or
    guardians or some shit.. NEVER BUY THOSE ALBUMS NEW !!
    Make sure its the originals.. Sharons versions will make
    you cry tears of blood, it really is that bad !
    It's truly a sad thing that you cannot buy a single album with Randy Rhoads on it, in it's original form.

The two Quiet Riot albums were never even released outside of Japan. The one disc compilation that Rhino records put out in the mid 1990's was totally overdubbed by DuBrow with completely new vocals and some of the bass & drum parts are probably fake too.

Sharon fucked up the two studio albums with Ozzy, and the so-called live "Tribute" album always had a completely studio vocal on it.

Randy deserves better than such total bastardization of everything he ever recorded.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 4 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

binnie (06-23-2009),bueno bob (06-19-2009),katie (06-19-2009),lesfunk (06-19-2009)

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

If I could Thank you twice I would.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    It's truly a sad thing that you cannot buy a single album with Randy Rhoads on it, in it's original form.
    I found originals including Speak Of The Devil, all brand new and original on ebay...

I opted for the original remasters that say Ozzy around the original cover, because they sound much better. I have an 83 or 84 version of Blizzard that sounds very thin compared to the first remasters. The Jet records sound the best though...

The original Jet records have a certain buzzy sound that makes Randy's guitar sound very intense. Something that is totally lacking on the new ruinedmasters and even Tribute...

The tribute album is nothing what randy's sound was like live...

The boots are much better...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, I used to have a bootleg of that same show, but it was on an old cassette that's long dead now. I definitely remember how Ozzy was singing though, and it was nothing like what's on that Tribute CD.

I think that bootleg DVD of the tour with Brad Gillis on it must be overdubbed too, because Ozzy's singing too good on that as well.

Which sounds odd for a bootleg, but I'm sure this was commercially produced for TV or something.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_951meVgUDE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_951meVgUDE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it's overdubbed, but not too bad...

Actually the vocal underneath isn't bad...

Especially on this...

It's almost hard to tell...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CuG-BngDzAk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x 9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CuG-BngDzAk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x 9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Over The Mountain was the first song and Ozzy always sound weak on that...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I like ozzy's voice doubled up anyway...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brad Gillis was no Randy, but at least he got to play some real music with Ozzy, instead of the cheesy crap he churned out with Rump Ranger.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ozzy really was the King of metal back then...

Now his mystique is ruined...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Brad Gillis was no Randy, but at least he got to play some real music with Ozzy, instead of the cheesy crap he churned out with Rump Ranger.
    He's my favorite over Jake and Zakk...

SOTD has outstanding guitar playing on it...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flappo View Post
    yes , very odd

queen as well

queen
    queen 2
    sheer heart attack
    night at the opera
    day at the races
    jazz

then live killers ( which was actually ok ) then the game which i loved but was nowhere near the egnius of their old stuff and it all started going down hill - queen using synthesisers !!!
    What? No "News Of The World"?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bueno bob View Post
    Because of Bob, to get out of his royalties, I'd imagine. I believe Phil Soussan was the bassist on Ultimate Sin. The only reason the re-recordings and remastering was done was to avoid paying Bob and Lee any more money, so...with Phil credited on Ultimate Sin (plus the fact that camp Osbourne's been trying to bury that album for some unknown reason since the 1990s), there probably wasn't any reason to.
    I don't understand trying to bury that album. I think Ultimate was a great album and it is one of my favorites. I noticed Elvis doesn't mention that one much either.....?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-03-2013 @ 05:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    I don't understand trying to bury that album. I think Ultimate was a great album and it is one of my favorites. I noticed Elvis doesn't mention that one much either.....?
    They played Shot in the Dark LIVE all through the 88-89 and 91-92 tours. Then when Zakk left in 95 and Holmes came in they revamped the set a bit and SITD never came back.

"Shot" was the one song that P Soussan had writing credits on I think. That is the reason that USin is not around anymore.

Can't see them ever bringing any of those songs back to the LIVE show over the Randy or Zakk era material they do.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

I would like Speak of the Devil except for the whole Brad Gillis bit. Black Sabbath is meant to be played HEAVY. Brad Gillis just pussified all that material with his happy guitar tone. Great material but without some actual crunch on the guitar, it's essentially pointless.

17. 2 users say thank you to bueno bob for this KICKASS post:

binnie (06-23-2009),lesfunk (06-20-2009)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The story I remember hearing at the time is that Gillis had about three days to learn the Sabbath material for the shows where "Speak of the Devil" was recorded, aside from "Iron Man", "Paranoid" and "Children of the Grave", which had been in the set list all along.

And what he actually learned the songs from was Rudy Sarzo's bass tabs. Which means he was actually never even playing Tony's guitar parts at all, but rather playing Geezer's parts on guitar.

Still, not bad for three days, I guess.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think it's pretty heavy, just the opening riff of Symptom of The Universe is badass...

Gillis learned that material in literally three days. The solos in Black Sabbath, NIB and Never Say Die are awesome improvisational solos. The only sabbath songs he had heard at the time was paranoid, Iron Man/Children Of The Grave which he called parannoid "paranoia" as he wasn't a Sabbath fan until after the album was recorded.

In my opinion, SOTD is the best live album ever, with All The Worlds a Stage a close second and then maybe Double Live Gonzo...

As far as Ultimate Sin...it's weak. But I do like Secret Loser and Killer Of Giants...

Jake is ok on it but without Daisley and Aldridge or some other hot drummer, it just drags along...

Last edited by ELVIS; 06-20-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: I can't TYPE!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sucks that we never got to hear what Randy, Sarzo, and Aldridge would have sounded like together in the studio.

Used to have this old issue of Circus magazine where Ozzy was talking about exactly that, and how he was in the process of writing the next two albums. (which means someone was writing them, though I don't know who, because Bob Daisley wasn't involved at that point) He specifically mentioned that the albums would be called "Bark at the Moon" and "Killer of Giants" - although that would later become "The Ultimate Sin". And the song "Rock n Roll Rebel" was also specifically mentioned.

Ironically, this magazine was released the same week of the plane crash in 1982, so by the time you read the article, it was already impossible.

Still, you gotta wonder if any demos exist of that material with Randy playing on them. The only Bark at the Moon demos that I've ever heard (somewhere on YouTube) it was clearly Jake playing, but those were really just the rhythm tracks from the album versions.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post

As far as Ultimate Sin...it's weak. But I do like Secret Loser and Killer Of Giants...

Jake is ok on it but without Daisley and Aldridge or some other hot drummer, it just drags along...

Fair enough.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,402 Times in 6,057 Posts

I think it's pretty heavy, just the opening riff of Symptom of The Universe is badass...

Gillis learned that material in literally three days. The solos in Black Sabbath, NIB and Never Say Die are awesome improvisational solos. The only sabbath songs he had heard at the time was paranoid, Iron Man/Children Of The Grave which he called parannoid "paranoia" as he wasn't a Sabbath fan until after the album was recorded.

In my opinion, SOTD is the best live album ever, with All The Worlds a Stage a close second and then maybe Double Live Gonzo...

Good call.

I agree which means you are correct.

If I want to listen to Sabbath I listen to that album.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-05-2009 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

3 great albums, with great material on them but apart from the Ozzy album, the Ted & Rush LP's were poorly recorded / mixed & produced.

I have read in various interviews over the years that Rush & Ted HATE those 2 live albums.

But I like yourself LOVE them, they are a great time capsule for that period in rock music.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Sucks that we never got to hear what Randy, Sarzo, and Aldridge would have sounded like together in the studio.

Used to have this old issue of Circus magazine where Ozzy was talking about exactly that, and how he was in the process of writing the next two albums. (which means someone was writing them, though I don't know who, because Bob Daisley wasn't involved at that point) He specifically mentioned that the albums would be called "Bark at the Moon" and "Killer of Giants" - although that would later become "The Ultimate Sin". And the song "Rock n Roll Rebel" was also specifically mentioned.

Ironically, this magazine was released the same week of the plane crash in 1982, so by the time you read the article, it was already impossible.

Still, you gotta wonder if any demos exist of that material with Randy playing on them. The only Bark at the Moon demos that I've ever heard (somewhere on YouTube) it was clearly Jake playing, but those were really just the rhythm tracks from the album versions.
    Daisley played bass on the Bark At The Moon album, as well as playing live on the Bark At The Moon tour, and Daisley also said in later interviews he wrote or co-wrote quite a bit of the material on that album as well.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The story I remember hearing at the time is that Gillis had about three days to learn the Sabbath material for the shows where "Speak of the Devil" was recorded, aside from "Iron Man", "Paranoid" and "Children of the Grave", which had been in the set list all along.

And what he actually learned the songs from was Rudy Sarzo's bass tabs. Which means he was actually never even playing Tony's guitar parts at all, but rather playing Geezer's parts on guitar.

Still, not bad for three days, I guess.

Agreed, especially when considering how little time he had to learn the material...and it wasn't like he could just go on some tab internet search engine back then and get all the guitar licks on paper, either. Dude had to sit down with tapes and learn the stuff by ear.

He did a pretty good job on SOTD.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What was the reason Gillis wasn't retained and Jake came in? Surely, he didn't leave thinking Night Ranger's formation was a better opportunity.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He sure did . He wanted his own band rather that bee an OZZY sidestooge. Cuntsidering the Osbournes track record with regards to paying royalties, I'd say he made the right choice

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Daisley played bass on the Bark At The Moon album, as well as playing live on the Bark At The Moon tour, and Daisley also said in later interviews he wrote or co-wrote quite a bit of the material on that album as well.
    Yeah, I know he came back later, because Sarzo had gone back to Quiet Riot. But at the time this interview was done - printed in March 1982, so it was probably a month or so before that - the band was Rhoads/Sarzo/Aldridge/Airey.

Obviously not the lineup that made it to the album, but Ozzy had at least the titles of the next two albums and a bunch of the songs planned out, to some extent. If I remember correctly, the lyrics he quoted from Rock n Roll Rebel weren't the same as what ended up on the record, so it's possible Ozzy tried to write the lyrics himself. Still would love to hear the early demos of that shit though, if they exist.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What was the reason Gillis wasn't retained and Jake came in? Surely, he didn't leave thinking Night Ranger's formation was a better opportunity.
    The first Rump Ranger album had just been released when Gillis was recruited for the Ozzy tour. He took the gig with the mutual understanding it would just be for the remainder of the tour. And because the corporate assholes wanted to put out a live album called "Speak of the Devil" and Ozzy didn't feel comfortable including a dead man's performances on a record with that name, Gillis got to make a record with Ozzy. Even though it was all Sabbath tunes, and not the Blizzard/Diary material he had been playing on tour.

But he wanted to go back to his own band. Maybe he would have reconsidered if he had known then that the one song most people would remember him for would be a cheese ballad sung by his drummer.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Actually, Ozzy really liked Gillis and asked him to stay in the band, but he was already under the Night Ranger contract...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I know he came back later, because Sarzo had gone back to Quiet Riot. But at the time this interview was done - printed in March 1982, so it was probably a month or so before that - the band was Rhoads/Sarzo/Aldridge/Airey.

Obviously not the lineup that made it to the album, but Ozzy had at least the titles of the next two albums and a bunch of the songs planned out, to some extent. If I remember correctly, the lyrics he quoted from Rock n Roll Rebel weren't the same as what ended up on the record, so it's possible Ozzy tried to write the lyrics himself. Still would love to hear the early demos of that shit though, if they exist.

It wouldn't be a shock to find out that some song titles that ended up on Bark At The Moon had been conceived by Daisley as far back as the Blizzard album, to be honest. Daisley made remarks in later interviews that although Sharon and Daisley were never exactly best of friends, the Osbournes kept asking Daisley to come back, either for songwriting or recording purposes, time and time again even after Daisley and Kerslake were ejected in favor of Sarzo and Aldridge.

Sarzo and Aldridge have a definite presence and ability on stage, but neither have done anything exceptional in terms of writing or recorded studio performances, if one really thinks about it. What was Quiet Riot's biggest tune? A cover tune. Sarzo and Aldridge didn't play on the 1987 Whitesnake album, not Diary Of A Madman.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Has Sarzo ever recorded an album?

Quiet Riot II - appeared on the cover, but all the bass parts previously recorded by Kelly Garni

Diary of a Madman - Credited on the cover, but all the bass parts were Bob Daisley

Metal Health - Most, if not all of the bass parts were played by Chuck Wright or Carlos Cavazo's brother Tony

Whitesnake - Not even mentioned on the album, but he's in all the videos.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Rudy Sarzo, the most famous bassist you've never heard.
    I remember an interview with Daisley who said he and Sarzo were sitting at the bar having a drink when a fan walked up to them and complimented Rudy on his great bass playing on Diary of a Madman.
    Rudy thanked the kid , never mentioning that the guy who really played on the record was right next to him.
    fag...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So basically Condition Critical was Sarzo's first real recording. What a trip.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Quiet Riot II - appeared on the cover, but all the bass parts previously recorded by Kelly Garni

Diary of a Madman - Credited on the cover, but all the bass parts were Bob Daisley

Metal Health - Most, if not all of the bass parts were played by Chuck Wright or Carlos Cavazo's brother Tony

Whitesnake - Not even mentioned on the album, but he's in all the videos.
    Wow, didn't know that about Metal Health.

Am assuming Sarzo played on Condition Critical...did he stay in Whitesnake long enough to record on Slip Of The Toungue?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So basically Condition Critical was Sarzo's first real recording. What a trip.
    Yep.... even in the sessions for the third Quiet Riot album with Randy - which was never completed, but some of the songs made it onto the Rhino compilation in 1994 - Randy Rhoads actually played the bass parts.

So, had that album been finished, it would have been another to add to Rudy's list of non-accomplishments.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-05-2009 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I like ozzy's voice doubled up anyway...
    Nowdays he uses so many effects to hide that his voice is fucked,

He sounds more and more like Steven Hawking wth each passing year.

38. Thanked katie for this KICKASS post:

bueno bob (06-23-2009)

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Story has always been that Sarzo is a bass player in name only. He had the look, and could play well enough to do it live, but cannot play well enough to record, where it's heard much more clearly.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Speak Of The Devil

Condition Critical

Project: Driver MARS, or McAlpine Aldridge Rock Sarzo

Slip Of The Tongue

Passion And Warfare

Holy Diver Live

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think Sarzo was on QR's last couple records prior to Dubrow's passing. Possibly "Alive and Well" and the one after that. There was also a live album released of QR a couple of years ago which i believe was from the Metal Health or Condition Critical tour so Sarzo would have been on that as well.

I didn't know he played bass on Passion and Warfare. He must be pretty bad ass if Steve Vai hand picked him to be on that record. That was quite an accomplishment.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katie View Post
    Nowdays he uses so many effects to hide that his voice is fucked,

He sounds more and more like Steven Hawking wth each passing year.
    Sounds like his band these days is tuned down to D to play a lot of those Blizzard and Diary tunes that were recorded in E-flat. Probably to accomodate the vocals, but the tunes sound terrible at that pitch.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I see Stu Hamm played bass on Vai's Passion and Warfare so no wonder i didn't remember him playing bass on that. I see Sarzo and Coverdale credited with backing vocals or speaking parts -interesting. Sarzo did record Master of the Moon with Dio, though. That was a decent album.

Thread Information