Thread: In 82 EVH asked to join Kiss?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2018 @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

In 82 EVH asked to join Kiss?

I had never heard this before, but I saw an interview with Gene Simmons the other day and he claimed that EVH came to him with all the songs that were going on the 1984 album and asked to join Kiss. Gene told him no...obviously. He said he should stay with Van Halen.

Is Gene full of shit?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2022 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Gene FOS? Yes! All day everyday. Gene was after Eddie since 1977. After Gene financed the VH demos KISS' manager Bill Aucoin said he didn't think Dave's vocals held up. Maybe VH could find another singer and he could work with them, maybe Dave could work with some other acts he had.

To quote DLR in his book Crazy From The Heat; "...Gene Simmon's true interest was in conscripting Ed into their show in some form or another...So this dismissal was followed up by calls to Ed, 'Come on down, we're recording in Hollywood.' And I would show up with Ed at the studio. Simmons would look at me with horror. Horror. "Cause I was on to his game way early."
    And this:
    "Isn't it curious what we read about Gene Simmons now that he put out his book? Gene Simmons chasing after Ed. How he had asked Ed to join KISS by 1981, 1982, There you are, Dolemite motherfucker!"

There's more, get Dave's book, it's an awesome read.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2018 @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

That tells me two things....

1) Gene was lying, because he said Ed was after him to join Kiss, not the other way around.

2) DLR was scared to death Ed would leave the band. Which means DLR knows Ed was the best thing that ever happened to him.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,489 Posts

Blog Entries
    I'd imagine Ed was drunk at some point in 1981/1982, ran into Simmons and the idea of him and Alex joining KISS was discussed (probably a synergy of timing, as Ed was pissed at Dave and Frehley was quitting the band after the Elder bombed).

Apparently, Ed and Al played with KISS on the tunes Christine Sixteen and Got Love For Sale either on the Love Gun demos or actually on the album itself (some stories have it that it was strictly on the demos while other stories have it that it is actually Ed and Al uncredited on those finished tracks released on the Love Gun album), so the connection was already there in 1982 going back several years to begin with...I wouldn't be shocked if such a discussion had transpired.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2022 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Scared to death? In Roth's book he admits to questioning himself about his vocals, did I let the guys down? But then he figured out Gene $immons' slant on situation. At that time VH were unknown but had a good thing going. DLR didn't want it dismantled before they even took off.

READ THE BOOK!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2021 @ 12:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TongueNGroove View Post
    That tells me two things....

1) Gene was lying, because he said Ed was after him to join Kiss, not the other way around.

2) DLR was scared to death Ed would leave the band. Which means DLR knows Ed was the best thing that ever happened to him.

Gene is quite the storyteller...perhaps he was trying to impress the Nat'l Enquirer or those naive souls who didn't do their homework...but, if you believe this story, then he can probably sell you swampland in the everglades...and I pity you.

Read the REAL STORY and how things really went down in DLR's autobiography, "Crazy From The Heat" and get the true Hollywood Story.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-25-2022 @ 07:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The real kicker to it is the number of so-called VH fans that worship KISS.
    So basically they didnt want VH to do much. 2+2=4

Thread Information