Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Satriani switches to Marshall?

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status

Joe Satriani switches to Marshall?

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    MusicRadar spoke exclusively to Joe Satriani himself this morning. He had this to say: "What can I say? I guess I'm crazy... But, I'm just looking to achieve the best guitar sound every moment I'm plugged in, and that brought me back to Marshall Amps."

Where this leaves his relationship with Peavey remains to be seen.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Endorsements are always at least 96% about the money which is why you should ignore them.

If he's willing to put his name to Chickenfuckingfoot then that says it all really.

Pied piper of poontang!!!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    sammy probably had something to do with it.
    If I want any shit out of you, I'll squeeze your head.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This move follows the move 5150/JSX amp engineer James Brown, who himself moved from Peavey to work at Kustom now.

His new amp called "The DoubleCross" is killer, it functions alot like my old Lee Jackson modded 100w head - only brand new!

Marshall could provide better foreign support for Satriani anyway. This way Satch doesn't need to drag his Peaveys around Europe.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've never liked that guitar wank music by him and I don't give a shit what kind of gear he uses to play "I can't drive 55".
    Bald fucker. i hope his dick rots off

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Peavey just announced the 50 watt JSX and a 2x12 cab at NAMM, wonder what happened to make Joe mad.

Why would Sammy have anything to do with it? He likes those shit bag Crate amps

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The term "backline" could mean anything, though...could just be he's using their cabs; and/or could have dummy Marshall heads for show and be running god-knows-what behind them...

Plus it also mentions specifically they're for the "European" leg of the tour; maybe Peavey's Euro-support is shitty?

He's probably better off with Marshalls anyway.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Genuinely Bizarre Case Of The Satriani/Peavey Endoresment Deal’s Collapse
    Tuesday, 23 June 2009

Until yesterday, Joe Satriani had what appeared to be a lucrative and positive situation working with Peavey as a spokeman and product endorser. In fact, the company had recently introduced a signature line of amplifiers bearing the guitarist's name, leading to an appearance in April at a trade show in Frankfurt, Germany. As said, until yesterday. Here is the time line (as best as I could figure) to what has turned into a strange as hell story, seemingly overnight.

Monday June 22, 2009 Musicradio.com issues an article claiming Joe Satriani has abandoned Peavey for Marshall amplification for the underwhelming group Chickenfoot's European tour. The article is updated the following morning with a statement from Satriani, stating: "What can I say? I guess I'm crazy... But, I'm just looking to achieve the best guitar sound every moment I'm plugged in, and that brought me back to Marshall Amps."

Tuesday June 23, 2009 At roughly 9:50AM (EST), images of Satriani are removed from the Peavey website, yet still mentions the company's involvement with the recording of the band's album and tour.

Within forty minutes, all mention of Satriani is erased from a leading article at the Peavey site regarding the company's involvement with the group, with the text altered to reflect only the recording of the band's album and bassist Mike Anthony's switch to Peavey amplification.

Noon, June 23, 2009 No further word has been issued by either party.

So exactly what happened that lead Satriani to bail on an apparently mutually beneficial deal between he and Peavey? At this point, it is too soon to tell.

The Genuinely Bizarre Case Of The Satriani/Peavey Endoresment Deal’s Collapse

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One wonders if Anthony now feels like a dumbass for ditching Ampeg (wasn't it?) after what, 30 years?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It is some fairly strange behavior. I mean sometime in April there were all of these Youtube vids showing up with him singing the company's praises, even from a trip to Germany. Now upon returning to that continent, he decides to end a relationship going back 8 years, in the middle of a tour?

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ampeg is trash. It's too bad because they sound really good. If it breaks all the time it doesn't matter how it sounds.
    I would like to try one of those new peavey tube bass amps

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    I've never liked that guitar wank music by him and I don't give a shit what kind of gear he uses to play "I can't drive 55".
    Bald fucker. i hope his dick rots off
    LOL! If I want to go to sleep, I put on something by Satriani. ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz. He never had any stage presence either. He looks like some dorky jogger that can play guitar fast. He probably puts apple juice on his Granola and fucks little asian boys up the ass.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    One wonders if Anthony now feels like a dumbass for ditching Ampeg (wasn't it?) after what, 30 years?
    LOL! Who said endorsement deals are all about the money? Mike the gimp would also play Musicman basses if Ed was playing a Musicman guitar and Peavey basses when Ed played his Wolfgang. I don't like the look of those Peavey basses cabs. They look like they belong in a country western whore house in Reno.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was really impressed today with the Gallien Kruegar GK500.. it's a little bastard the size of a 4-stack high of pancakes!

It's fantastic, you can throw this bass head in yer gig bag...

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ampeg is trash.
    The cabs they're selling at Best Buy are all from Vietnam, but there's no Mfr of Origin sticker on the back, and there's plenty of gripes on the internet reviewing how shitty the cabs are built now.

They've had trouble ever since that takeover group bought out or forced out whichever way you wanna look at it, St Louis Music and reincorporated it all under the name Loud which includes Mackie.

Their stock as St Louis used to trade as high as 18 dollars, now it's around ten cents.. and somebody this spring made a bet they'll do a comeback, buying a couple hundred thousand shares at one penny.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    I was really impressed today with the Gallien Kruegar GK500.. it's a little bastard the size of a 4-stack high of pancakes!

They used to make a really expensive guitar amp which was tiny as well and used by people like Gary Moore. Don't know why they stopped.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I keep asking them every namm show "why don't you bring back that little dual 100 watt lead guitar amp?" they say, nope.

I like the fourway eq on the gh-250ml.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My son jordan plays his bass thru one of those "Accoustic" bass amps. It sounds nice for what it is.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I could care less if Joe plays thru styrofoam cups with strings attaching them. Its just not important.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I love the JSX, it is a great amp capable of many tones. It is my main amp. I didn't get it because of Joe, I don't like his tone or playing, but the amp sounds like a hot rodded Marshall. That said, one has to wonder about the deal. Joe sought Peavey out to make him an amp not the other way around. From the outside it looked as if they did everything he wanted and they just made a 50 watt JSX voiced differently than the 100 watt JSX. Maybe Edward was right, they just didn't get it.

I wondered how long it was going to last anyway. Satch is a tinkerer and is always using some new pedal for his tones.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by letsrock View Post
    I could care less if Joe plays thru styrofoam cups with strings attaching them. Its just not important.
    The more the story is playing out, it appears to be a grave career mistake to switch towards endorsing Marshall when Peavey spent the time to work with him.

If Satch is under contract another 2 years it looks like he doesnt' honor his agreements, which is important if he's playing the hired gun playing with Chickenbreast.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    LOL! I don't like the look of those Peavey basses cabs. They look like they belong in a country western whore house in Reno.
    That's where most Peavey stuff ends up

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Gallien Krueger always made good bass gear and the price is right. I have a nice bass rig that uses an old Alembic preamp and thre McIntosh 240 power amps running 100 watts mono. It sounds great but those McIntosh amps are boat anchors and worth a fortune now. To be honest, I play a Sansamp direct more and more. LOL!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pretty much. That or a Southern rattlesnake handling evagelist church.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So far as I know, Marshall cabs are still made in the UK, and are still the industry standard.

Peavey cabs weigh far more than marine ply, such as the Marshalls are made from. Peavey could give a shit should you dislocate your shoulder lowering a slant off a straight cab after a gig.. they're empty weight is double the marshall cab's empty weight, because they're made from 3/4 inch plywood and MDF particle board.

It's overboard and unnecessary to use such heavy plywood. Plus, the peavey is almost exactly 1/2 inch larger in both heighth and width dimensions, what for? So no one claims "oh Marshall copies tsk tsk" so who gives a shit if the dimesions are the same - Marshall figured out long ago "what is the biggest width we can go in making these things and still get them to slide in the backseat of a car" and that dimension is 28-29 inches.

I know. Peavey's wont fit in a Mercedes 300E without a fight, that half-inch is a make or break width and I got only one fucked up Peavey slant to prove it.

So there's reasons touring Europe why you don't wanna drag Peavey around with you. Because they are a drag!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have some Peavey stuff I like and their bass amps and cabs have a great reputation but that oval Peavey logo with the tolex covered wood drooping around it has to go! It's ugly and dorky looking.

Also Peavey is making a lot of stuff in China now. Only their high end tube amps and high end speakers are made in the USA. I played through a Peavey 2x10 and when I went to turn the horn tweeter down the label on the back said MADE IN CHINA.

To be honest, I like the new Carvin bass heads. MADE IN USA and you have a switchable pre amp tube, lot's of power and thing cost under $500 and weighs under ten pounds! I played through one the other day and loved it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So far as I know, Marshall cabs are still made in the UK, and are still the industry standard.

Peavey cabs weigh far more than marine ply, such as the Marshalls are made from. Peavey could give a shit should you dislocate your shoulder lowering a slant off a straight cab after a gig.. they're empty weight is double the marshall cab's empty weight, because they're made from 3/4 inch plywood and MDF particle board.

It's overboard and unnecessary to use such heavy plywood. Plus, the peavey is almost exactly 1/2 inch larger in both heighth and width dimensions, what for? So no one claims "oh Marshall copies tsk tsk" so who gives a shit if the dimesions are the same - Marshall figured out long ago "what is the biggest width we can go in making these things and still get them to slide in the backseat of a car" and that dimension is 28-29 inches.

I know. Peavey's wont fit in a Mercedes 300E without a fight, that half-inch is a make or break width and I got only one fucked up Peavey slant to prove it.

So there's reasons touring Europe why you don't wanna drag Peavey around with you. Because they are a drag!
    Our guitar player uses Peavey 6505 cabs. They sound good but my hell, I had to drag one up a big flight of stairs and I know what you mean. Also the Tolex on Peavey cabs and the speaker mesh rip real easy. I think these cabs go for $700 a pop and so they aren't any cheaper than a Marshall 1960. To be honest, you can't go wrong with a Marshall cab. Lighter and bulletproof.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have some 6505+ and 5150 II heads where I put a higher sweep bias pot in. That's the trick with these amps. Also you have to have good tubes with that first preamp tube being especially important. They like Electroharmonix 6L6 power tubes and Svetlanna preamp tubes. Then you bias them us real warm (Peavey biases them cold for better metal sound and realiability).

I kept coming back to my 5150 II and I used it for blues to heavy rock. If I tweak the EQ on the crunch channel I can get close to an old overdriven Marshall sound. So all these amps need is good tubes and a hotter bias setting and they are amazing. Not the best amp for single coils though but with humbuckers they are great!

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hey Nitro, did you know the 6534 is coming out in a few months? It is the 6505+ but with EL34s and a cleaned up clean channel and noise reduction. I'm definitely checking one out. Me likey the EL34s.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    Me likey the EL34s.
    Me too. I run two of them in the interchangeable slots on my Simul-Class Mesa MK III to get a little more "KONG" than you'd get running 4 6L6s.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have some 6505+ and 5150 II heads where I put a higher sweep bias pot in. That's the trick with these amps. Also you have to have good tubes with that first preamp tube being especially important. They like Electroharmonix 6L6 power tubes and Svetlanna preamp tubes. Then you bias them us real warm (Peavey biases them cold for better metal sound and realiability).
    You should really try to avoid invoking technical language you do not truly comprehend because, like Obama, you appear incompent and dim-witted.

Which is not far off from the truth.. however, we like to think better of our members than they really are.

But if you wanna override the cloaking of your stupidity, by all means go ahead and get technical.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Me too. I run two of them in the interchangeable slots on my Simul-Class Mesa MK III to get a little more "KONG" than you'd get running 4 6L6s
    Four? To get more "kong"?

You mean you didn't try pulling the inner-two, or outer-two tubes yet, or what.. if you want more punch from a 100w, you force two to see the same current as four.. DUHH what a no-brainer!

Guys like you and the other guy really make this site suck with your unnecessary, uninspired banter; I'm OUTTA here!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    Hey Nitro, did you know the 6534 is coming out in a few months? It is the 6505+ but with EL34s and a cleaned up clean channel and noise reduction. I'm definitely checking one out. Me likey the EL34s.
    Interesting. That actually might be my cup of tea. I rarely use the high gain channel and they use 6L6 power tubes because they tend to work better with a high gain preamp. I think Ed and James Brown designed a decent amp with potential, most people don't tweak the EQ right or run the power section too cold. The death metal guys like the cold bias but classic rock guys like less preamp distortion and more power amp distortion. There's a little for everybody in that amp actually so it sounds like the 6534 is geared more for the classic oriented people who want to peg it every now and then.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You should really try to avoid invoking technical language you do not truly comprehend because, like Obama, you appear incompent and dim-witted.

Which is not far off from the truth.. however, we like to think better of our members than they really are.

But if you wanna override the cloaking of your stupidity, by all means go ahead and get technical.
    Gar. A higher sweep bias pot means it covers a higher range of resistance. On a stock 6505+ you can turn down the resistance of the variable potentionmeter all the way and still not run the power tubes too hot. With a wider sweep potentionmeter you can reduce the resistance even more and run the power tubes hotter. This is a simple mod and a simple electronics fact of the less resistance on the control grid the more current that flows from the cathode to the plate on idle. If you knew anything about basic tube circuit electronics you wouldn't have slagged me and shown your ignorance.

Frankly I've worked for Hewlett-Packard, Lockeheed Martin, and The Department of Energy. What high tech have you worked in? It was an HP engineer that showed me the mod.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fuck off, GAyR.

Obviously GARfail has no concept of the Simul-Class power section (or anything else)...so let's correct:

Quote Originally Posted by GAyR View Post
    Guys like me really make this site suck with my unnecessary, uninspired attempts at banter
    Ain't that the truth.

I'm OUTTA here!
    We should be so lucky.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Poor little narcissistic balding Troll has his ass handed to him once again.

It's like thumping the shit out of an Alfred E. Neuman pinata...
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If you knew anything about basic tube circuit electronics you wouldn't have slagged me and shown your ignorance.

Frankly I've worked for Hewlett-Packard, Lockeheed Martin, and The Department of Energy. What high tech have you worked in? It was an HP engineer that showed me the mod.
    Mmm.. I'm not an engineer either, that's why I pay them to tell me I'm an ignoramus.

Btw what did you choose, audio or linear taper? Which value resistance?

Did you go throw a cheap cermet trimpot on there, or add a nice Bournes pot thru the top of the back chassis?

I'm a little ignorant yet so do help me out..

I am not a ...
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I use the Marshall JVM just like Joe is using. Its a great fucking amp!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Me too. I run two of them in the interchangeable slots on my Simul-Class Mesa MK III to get a little more "KONG" than you'd get running 4 6L6s.

The EL-34 was Phillips Electronics brainstorm on giving 6L6 power in a smaller package. I have an old brochure from the Phillips Corporation where they are promoting their new space saving EL-34 power tubes. LOL! They are making it seem like they invented the transistor or something. Anyways, they never envisioned long hairs diming the fuckers into distortion. They don't last as long as 6L6 but a good pair do get a cool ass distortion vibe going. If you are hitting the power section hard, 34's are the way to go.

Thread Information