Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Gus G is more like a Metal Steve Vai...

And that, to me, is infinitely more interesting than yet ANOTHER Zakk Wylde performance where he plays the same tired repetitive shit...

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    No one is going to rip Ozzy for playing at BlizzCon? That's the World Of Warcraft annual convention.
    Shhh... let the old man play where he wants. He probably isn't aware of what any of that is, anyway.

When he sees someone dressed as a Tauren, or a Night Elf, he'll just go out and buy some more of whatever he drank/injected that night, 'cuz it's good stuff.

Cheers! :bottle:

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    I didn't hear anything in Gus' video that would make me think he would fit well with Ozzy.

All of this Zakk is out stuff is just like when Jake was out. Ozzy went behind his back and hired Zakk. Jake didn't know he was out of the band.

I'll add to what others have said, I sure would like to see Jake back with Ozzy. That would be the fuel that would run the engine and gain some attention and much needed shot in the arm.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I also don't know how well John 5 would sound with Ozzy either. I was excited when he was making the Rob Zombie album, but it fell kinda flat to me. I thought he would help kick it up a notch. I think he would make a boring Ozzy record. He is super talented, but his style has no style. He plays every style. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    No one is going to rip Ozzy for playing at BlizzCon? That's the World Of Warcraft annual convention.
    Really? I thought it was some Ozzy convention like Kiss has...lol...

I didn't know it was some dork festival. Is it some tie in with the tv ads Ozzy did for that video game? Must be all Sharon's doing.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Blizz Con ??

That tells me enough...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    I also don't know how well John 5 would sound with Ozzy either. I was excited when he was making the Rob Zombie album, but it fell kinda flat to me. I thought he would help kick it up a notch. I think he would make a boring Ozzy record. He is super talented, but his style has no style. He plays every style. Jack of all trades, master of none.
    Hence, my Yngwie suggestion...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Blizz Con ??

That tells me enough...
    I guess I know nothing about Warcraft. I was thinking Blizzard as is "BLIZZARD OF OZZ" or something.

So is this going to be a bunch of wizards, trolls and dorks at a private Ozzy show? Or is Ozzy just playing one or 2 songs on some half ass stage. Sounds like a Sharon money grab $$$.....

This all seems so lame, I am glad Zakk is not involved.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Doesn't Ozzy do a commercial for Warcraft?

I would think it is about whatever deal he made with that.

I would think a few token tunes and that would be it.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    I guess I know nothing about Warcraft. I was thinking Blizzard as is "BLIZZARD OF OZZ" or something.

So is this going to be a bunch of wizards, trolls and dorks at a private Ozzy show? Or is Ozzy just playing one or 2 songs on some half ass stage. Sounds like a Sharon money grab $$$.....

This all seems so lame, I am glad Zakk is not involved.
    No, definitely Warcraft, and yes, that will be the environment in which Ozzy will be playing.

However, World of Warcraft IS a huge finacial success, not to mention the rabid legion of fans Blizzard has with it's games in general - Diablo series, Warcraft series, Spacecraft series, etc. - and I wouldn't be surprised if there's an outrageous amount of money involved in that convention.

Yes, Ozzy WILL cash in. Yes, it IS $haron'$ idea.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Even knowing these two universes, I wasn't aware Ozzy had anything to do with World of Warcraft.

Only goes to show that you can either know a little about everything or a lot about something.

Any links for this commercial?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't think it necessarily has to be an established or name guitar player to fill the slot.

If Ozzy's last album is an indication of what the Osbournes deem acceptable musically these days, well, that level of writing isn't too hard to rise up to. Not trying to be cute or sardonic by saying that, but there wasn't really anything there to these ears that was beyond average. It's clear that making albums for Ozzy these days involves looking at them more as product...an excuse to get out on the road and be able to say "hey, I'm putting out new material, I'm not an oldies act." That new material being exceptional is obviously no longer a paramount consideration.

Bearing that in mind, all Ozzy really requires of a guitar player now is someone able to play the Sabbath/Ozzy classics. If there were more than a few able to do that in 1982, 1983 and 1987 (Gillis, Lee, Wylde), then there are probably even more than that who can do it today.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Imapus_Sylicker View Post
    Even knowing these two universes, I wasn't aware Ozzy had anything to do with World of Warcraft.

Only goes to show that you can either know a little about everything or a lot about something.

Any links for this commercial?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8OgYWLSrmlI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8OgYWLSrmlI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Holy fuck...

HOLY fuck...

I... I mean, I...

HOLY FUCK!

What THE HELL is goin' through Sharon's mind???

That's about as witty, funny and/or pertinent as a Gar rant!

What the fuck???

Holy, fuck! :bottle:

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Talking I have the power of grayskull...

Not to kiss your ass, but have you ever not nailed it? Except for one small detail:

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I don't think it necessarily has to be an established or name guitar player to fill the slot.

If Ozzy's last album is an indication of what the Osbournes deem acceptable musically these days, well, that level of writing isn't too hard to rise up to. Not trying to be cute or sardonic by saying that, but there wasn't really anything there to these ears that was beyond average. It's clear that making albums for Ozzy these days involves looking at them more as product...an excuse to get out on the road and be able to say "hey, I'm putting out new material, I'm not an oldies act." That new material being exceptional is obviously no longer a paramount consideration.

Bearing that in mind, all Ozzy really requires of a guitar player now is someone able to play the Sabbath/Ozzy classics. If there were more than a few able to do that in 1982, 1983 and 1987 (Gillis, Lee, Wylde), then there are probably even more than that who can do it today.
    Actually, since the last generation of guitarists did little more than downtune, play one-finger riffs and stare at their shoes, it might be a smaller group than you think...heard an IMPRESSIVE guitar solo on a contemporary tune in recent memory? I think the chances of him finding a 20-something fire-breather than can carry the torch are fairly slim (Gus G almost not withstanding, but he's IMO kinda... bland, and not quite an Ozzy-league shredder, sorry folks), which is why he's looking to the John 5's of the world.

But if he decides to go the unknown route, and as Terry describes, wants someone who can pull off the classics convincingly and robot some outside writer's new shite...coincidentally, I can, I'm not "established" and I'm available...!

Call me, Sharon!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Having said, that, I'd honestly LOVE to see Jake come back. Wonder what that pairing's new material would sound like, judging by Jake's evolution as a songwriter in Badlands...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I agree... I wish it was me but I can't get off my but enough to make a professional commitment like that, and I wouldn't work for Sharon Osbourne...

And i'm not good enough, but there was a day when I believe I might have been...

Not trying to be cute or sardonic by saying that, but there wasn't really anything there to these ears that was beyond average.

Trap Door is an awesome song!

At least you mentioned Gillis first...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Gus G almost not withstanding, but he's IMO kinda... bland, and not quite an Ozzy-league shredder, sorry folks

Glad you agree...

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know, if Ozzy's the "Prince of Darkness", why can't he just use his powers to bring Randy back from the dead?

Problem solved...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I bought Randy back one night after a healthy cup
    of mushroom juice !
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    check out this fan made Warcraft tv spot with Ozzy, MR T & Bruce Dickinson.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HnO_CGk3II4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HnO_CGk3II4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I'll give credit where credit is due; Gillis did a fine job stepping in there on a moments notice, and did that material justice. He had, what, several days to learn that setlist from scratch? Speak Of The Devil kicks ass, and Gillis served up the guitar work well.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'll give credit where credit is due; Gillis did a fine job stepping in there on a moments notice, and did that material justice. He had, what, several days to learn that setlist from scratch? Speak Of The Devil kicks ass, and Gillis served up the guitar work well.
    Three days, from what I've read - that he spent holed up in a hotel room drilling himself on the tunes.
    I'm a huge Randy fan, but I dug Brad too; hell, he's the first person I heard playing a Mesa-Boogie amp...his sound was amazing on that album (first recorded example of a stereo Boogie set-up I know of), my friends and I all wanted his tone. Probably why I ended up getting one of my own!

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just can't stand hearing Tony Iommi played by anybody other than Tony Iommi...nobody has ever done it justice.

But after a recent listen to the album, I'll give Brad credit - he did have a cool tone on that album (if a bit lesser on the heavy side than what I'd prefer), but it's a fun listen, I'll give it that.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I gotta say it - I want Gus G. I want him BAD.

But of course, at this point I want fucking ANYBODY other than Zakk Wylde...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anybody? Even CC Deville?
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Three days, from what I've read - that he spent holed up in a hotel room drilling himself on the tunes.
    I'm a huge Randy fan, but I dug Brad too; hell, he's the first person I heard playing a Mesa-Boogie amp...his sound was amazing on that album (first recorded example of a stereo Boogie set-up I know of), my friends and I all wanted his tone. Probably why I ended up getting one of my own!

His tone had so much sustain...almost to the point of being overkill...but he was blazing on SOTD, no doubt.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FUCK !!

I wanted to post a youtube of Backstreet Kid
    Seemed an approproiate place to put it ?

Sharon wont let me....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Reason why all you dio lovers need to hear the real deal,,
    And dont tell me I dont love DIO..

Seen him live in concert, Holy Diver is in my top ten ever albums.

Some shitheads out there dont give Ozzy his dues, where it was
    totally deserverd.. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and War Pigs killl
    anything we humble rock lovers deserve for the last 2 DECADES
    Last edited by Panamark; 08-07-2009 at 11:50 AM.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    Tough question.

I really want Zakk gone!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Does anyone remember what happened with Vai and Ozzy around the Ozmosis era? I thought Vai was supposed to be his guitarist around that time but he ended up only co-writing a song for the album. Was this all rumor or did Oz and Vai have a falling out back then?
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He seems like he'd be good for a laugh in terms of hanging out and shooting the shit, and I know the reply was tongue-in-cheek, but I seriously doubt he could handle any of the guitar work beyond perhaps a few of Sabbath's simpler songs.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    Does anyone remember what happened with Vai and Ozzy around the Ozmosis era? I thought Vai was supposed to be his guitarist around that time but he ended up only co-writing a song for the album. Was this all rumor or did Oz and Vai have a falling out back then?
    Ozzy and Steve were going to form a band known as "X Ray" (apparently Ozzy was back into the idea of the band thing after the Black Sabbath go around in '93 at Costa Mesa). The band idea bottomed out, but the concept album art they were going to use stayed for Ozzmosis.

After the idea for the band bottomed out, Steve Vai went back to his solo career, but left one of the completed songs for inclusion on the Ozzmosis disc. The album was originally slated to be called "X Ray" instead of Ozzmosis, but Tommy Lee's idea for Ozzmosis just resonated better for whatever reason. I agreed.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    At this point I honestly think CC would have a better chance of writing a decent song and I haven't heard anything he's written since 1990.

I know for a fact though that Zack can't write a good song though or he would have by now.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gus sounds like Vai and Zakk is at least original...
    Which is why he's out. This is OZZY, and the songs should be thankful they're even being sung by him... so why work with someone who's going to want to be paid for writing for him when the extreme pleasure should be grattitude enough?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's a communist point of view.

Surely he will only get the best if he is willing to pay the going rate?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    Vai was going to be the guitar player. They wrote a bunch of songs, but then Via left since things weren't working out. Like you mentioned they only picked 1 song from those sessions.

Ozzy/Sharon did keep the song "My little man" and used it on the cd. Zakk played it on the record. Very strange hearing Zakk playing in Vai's style.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4ClZOpYUP6g&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4ClZOpYUP6g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    Which is why he's out. This is OZZY, and the songs should be thankful they're even being sung by him... so why work with someone who's going to want to be paid for writing for him when the extreme pleasure should be grattitude enough?

I know.

Between Daisley and Kerslake wanting both credit and a full accounting of the royalties they are owed for all those millions f copies of Blizzard and Diary sold...and having to contend with guitar players who actually expect to get PAID for what they wrote (when we all know it was Ozzy who came up with the guitar parts for all of his albums)...it must be highly discouraging for the Osbournes when the people who actually create the music and lyrics that wind up on his albums step forward and demand their fair share; why can't they understand that just the glory of being associated with Ozzy is worth far more than money?

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    seems like I remember the label having monetary issues over vai and ozzy's collaboration. Two different labels. I don't really remember. I always suspected vai is playing on my little man not zakk.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, it's official...Gus G will in fact be playing with Ozzy...at least for a bit...

OZZY OSBOURNE issued a statement on Friday (August 21) confirming reports that longtime Osbourne musicians Zakk Wylde (guitar) and Mike Bordin (drums) would not be joining him for the BlizzCon performance due to their current touring commitments with BLACK LABEL SOCIETY and FAITH NO MORE, respectively.

In addition to his current axe-slinging duties with FIREWIND, Gus (real name: Kostas Karamitroudis) has played in MYSTIC PROPHECY, NIGHTRAGE, ARCH ENEMY and DREAM EVIL.

I actually hope it becomes a full time thing...but it sounds as if all this has been about a one night gig...

Thread Information