• Big Troubles
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by flappo
    check out how fucking superior he is to the clowns around him in this clip

stompin from saturday night live 1987

the guy with the fender spends most of the time gawping in amazement

- Eddie Van Halen - Stompin' (SNL 87)
    The "guy" with the fender is GE Smith... But notice Edward is playing wireless? Like wtf? 30 years later he tours with cords dangling all over the fuckin' place!!!

Dont get me wrong Id rather him use the cords...

The tapping really was overrated wasn't it? Like in this clip anyways...same sequence....

I pray to Hitch (our Roth Army Gawd) that dave and Eddie bring somethin' new to the Van Halen sound....Some blues....Some classic sound. Some NEW guitar technique... Alex and Eddie always wanted to be the next Zep... Step up to the plate boys. I think dave can be an excellent Plant! : )
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• fryingdutchman
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

I wouldn't really classify G.E. Smith and T-Bone Wolk as "clowns"...but I digress.

Ed really rips it up in this clip. I can watch it again and again. Great speed, totally clean, and makes it look effortless.

The song is titled "Stompin 8H", named for the NBC studio where SNL is produced.

That whole episode of SNL is great, especially the "Dinner with the Van Halen's" segment, where irritating roadies (Dennis Miller and Kevin Nealon I think) turn an average dinner at home for Ed and Val into an "event."
      Originally posted by perilouspete
      fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Dinner with the Van Halen's...

This is a piss!

Classic Van Halen Gallery and Multimedia - Dinner at the Van Halens - Saturday Night Live skit - Powered by PhotoPost
        Originally posted by perilouspete
        fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• davehagarfan
          Head Fluffer
          • Jan 2009

Oh Yeah! Ed's awesome when he's drunk.......

Eddie Van Halen Guitar Solo - MGM Arena 30th December 2007. In the UK we have been so severely deprived of Van Halen that I had to fly over 5,000 miles to s...
          Last edited by davehagarfan; 07-10-2009, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

I remember thinking how much Ed's playing had declined by that point...

Comment

• VAiN
              Use my hand, I won't look
              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by ELVIS
              I remember thinking how much Ed's playing had declined by that point...

I agree with that.. Eddie really went into auto-pilot around this time. Eddie had explosive speed... in this tune he seems to play safe.
              Originally posted by wiseguy
              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

It looks good today, especially compaired to what he has become, but back in the day he was light years ahead of that prformance...

Sadly, there are very few clips that show what Edward was capable of...

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2007

Yes, ELVIS, I will agree with you.

Around the time the touring and albums with FatFuck slowed to a once-every-3-years event, the innovating stopped and he operated inside the same "box", if you will. He had become predictable.

That SNL clip is just that...with a couple of bumps and a few hours of booze in his system....when he could still handle it, that is.

If anyone here really needs a measuring stick to go by (and I'm sure most of you don't), cuntsider this:

On every album prior to 1984, all us Ed worshippers got a new tidbit of guitar work on each album. You had Eruption. Then Spanish Fly, mostly for all the naysayers who said Eruption was a studio trick. You had lots of different shit on WACF to fuck with you, like the intro to Tora Tora and Romeo's Delight, the slide guitar work on Could This Be Magic off the top of my head. The bad-ass intro to Mean Streets, the sound of the entire album, really. You got Cathedral and more interesting leads on some of the other songs. Then the keys came out on 1984.

After that, what did he do?

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

The last glimpse of the real Edward...

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2007

He had to carry the show from then on. That's why these Hagar Butt-People are so fond of Ed. It became the Ed Show. Hagar was never allowed to play solos on songs after this tour, was he?

I don't think so.

Ed is tweaked out of his mind at this concert!
                      Last edited by hideyoursheep; 07-11-2009, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Yeah, Spam and Ed still did One Way to Rock together for several years...

I saw them do it live in like 1991 and I posted a later version here...

Comment

• Big Troubles
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Feb 2004

The last glimpse of the real Edward...

Good to great for sure...But he had "magic" here in 94.

but my all time fav. solo work from Ed was here:

"FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Yeah, he was sober in '94...I saw that tour and i've posted that clip in the past...he was good there too...maybe he will suprise us one more time...

Comment

• Big Troubles
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Feb 2004

Yeah, he was sober in '94...I saw that tour and i've posted that clip in the past...he was good there too...maybe he will suprise us one more time...

I truly believe if he stays sober, with the help of his brother Al, his "new" brother Dave and his son by his side and of course a new love in his life, we could really see some good innovative Van Halen coming!

Even if it is a letdown...Gawd forbid another VH3....We still have the six pack, some Dave solo cd's and the o7/08 tour as our worst case scenario. I like the odds either way!

Comment

Working...