Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries

Just 96 months to save world...

Just 96 months to save world, says Prince Charles

The price of capitalism and consumerism is just too high, he tells industrialists

By Robert Verkaik

9 July 2009

Capitalism and consumerism have brought the world to the brink of economic and environmental collapse, the Prince of Wales has warned in a grandstand speech which set out his concerns for the future of the planet.

The heir to the throne told an audience of industrialists and environmentalists at St James's Palace last night that he had calculated that we have just 96 months left to save the world.

And in a searing indictment on capitalist society, Charles said we can no longer afford consumerism and that the "age of convenience" was over.

Charles's speech was described as his first attempt to present a coherent philosophy in which he placed the threat to the environment in the context of a failing economic system.

The Prince, who is advised by the leading environmentalists Jonathon Porritt and Tony Juniper, said that even the economist Adam Smith, father of modern capitalism, had been aware of the short-comings of unfettered materialism.

Delivering the annual Richard Dimbleby lecture, Charles said that without "coherent financial incentives and disincentives" we have just 96 months to avert "irretrievable climate and ecosystem collapse, and all that goes with it."

Charles has recently courted controversy by intervening in planning disputes, most notably the battle over the Chelsea Barracks design in London. It is also known that he writes privately to ministers when he wishes to put his concerns on record.

Now, he seems more willing to embrace much wider political issues in a much more public forum.

He confided last night: "We face the dual challenges of a world view and an economic system that seem to have enormous shortcomings, together with an environmental crisis – including that of climate change – which threatens to engulf us all."

Despite his attack on the materialism of the modern age, the Prince has been criticised for his own indulgences, including dozens of staff to run his homes and hundreds of thousands of pounds spent travelling around the world. While his private estates on the Duchy of Cornwall generate record profits his tax bill was lower than the year before.

Last night the Prince said: "But for all its achievements, our consumerist society comes at an enormous cost to the Earth and we must face up to the fact that the Earth cannot afford to support it. Just as our banking sector is struggling with its debts – and paradoxically also facing calls for a return to so-called 'old-fashioned', traditional banking – so Nature's life-support systems are failing to cope with the debts we have built up there too.

"If we don't face up to this, then Nature, the biggest bank of all, could go bust. And no amount of quantitative easing will revive it."

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    03-21-2018 @ 02:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I wonder why it's the people who already have the money that want an end to capitalism. I wonder.

And what's the significance of 96 months? Did he pull that out of his ass, or is he doing a whole nostradamus thing now?

What a dick.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-01-2024 @ 08:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks

No man shalt know the day or the hour of My return, or the end of the world. Verily, even I the Messiah do not know, and Charles of the House of Windsor certainly knoweth not.

But he does speaketh some truth, as far as what man hath done to the earth.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Christians who seek the Lord and study diligently will know the season...

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Doesn't Prince Charles have multiple mansions, boats, cars, jewelery, horses, etc.....

Easy to be against materialism once you have everything.

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Doesn't Prince Charles have multiple mansions, boats, cars, jewelery, horses, etc.....

Easy to be against materialism once you have everything.
    Verily..... but will he sell all he has, and give the money to the poor?

If not, then ...... well.... camel. eye. needle. Enough said.

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Christians who seek the Lord and study diligently will know the season...
    Well, I did spell it out pretty clearly in Matthew 24, didn't I?

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    03-21-2018 @ 02:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm not sure if you like blashpheming or if you just realized that your own personality is too intellectually weak to debate an issue, so you went schitzo.

Either way, I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of this lame bullshit.

:dafinger: Douche bag.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I've been taking the same stance for years...he doesn't see it...

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm the Son of God. I see everything.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

and the BCE is actually his cousins stereo store that he tries to promote here....

Bob Christs' Electronics

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Gar worked there, but he got fired...

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 08:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackflag View Post

Either way, I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of this lame bullshit.
    You've been back long enough to be tired of something?

14. Thanked hideyoursheep for this KICKASS post:

Blackflag (07-11-2009)

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Give me 2 good reasons why I should take heed from the words of a man who preferred fucking around with horses over fucking Princess Di?

16. Thanked Coyote for this KICKASS post:

standin (07-11-2009)

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-24-2009 @ 10:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks

NONE of this is news to me, that Prince Charles would say such a thing... I wondered when he was going to address the public on this. There is a plan to de-industrialize much of the world, basically returning the world closer to feudal system. This is easy to understand if you're able to stop idealising a seemingly benign president like Obama and see how he and Gore has a stake in cap and trade.

But beyond that a large part of the environmental movement itself has an ulterior motive to it.

Check out the WWF.

If you'll just consider the fact that Prince Phillip was a president for years. A guy who spoke of wiping out 80% of the world's population being in favour of conservation? It's not what i't's about, it's a land grab for powerful elites. The fund was set up by Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands who was the founder of the Bilderberg group. Here's a reality check: people like these born into wealth and more importantly power only do things to maintain that power balance.

De-industrialization, a greater hold on the masses is all part and parcel of the move towards a global government. You'll all be living in Soylent Green like congested cities with food rations before you begin to even see it. People are being screwed over big time. Cna't haeppene heaaeehh!!
    Last edited by Dolemite!; 07-11-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-24-2009 @ 10:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What a caring guy. I'm sure Sri Lankan's share his beliefs about the problem of providing aid.

Address on Receiving Honorary Degree from the University of Western Ontario, Canada, July 1, 1983.

For example, the World Health Organization Project, designed to eradicate malaria from Sri Lanka in the postwar years, achieved its purpose. But the problem today is that Sri Lanka must feed three times as many mouths, find three times as many jobs, provide three times the housing, energy, schools, hospitals and land for settlement in order to maintain the same standards. Little wonder the natural environment and wildlife in Sri Lanka has suffered. The fact [is] ... that the best-intentioned aid programs are at least partially responsible for the problems.

Reported by Deutsche Press Agentur (DPA), August, 1988.

In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, in order to contribute something to solve overpopulation.
    Preface to Down to Earth by HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, 1988, p.|8.

I don't claim to have any special interest in natural history, but as a boy I was made aware of the annual fluctuations in the number of game animals and the need to adjust the ``cull'' to the size of the surplus population.

Interview with HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, in People Dec. 21, 1981 titled ``Vanishing Breeds Worry Prince Philip, But Not as Much as Overpopulation.''

Q: What do you consider the leading threat to the environment?

A: Human population growth is probably the single most serious long-term threat to survival. We're in for a major disaster if it isn't curbed--not just for the natural world, but for the human world. The more people there are, the more resources they'll consume, the more pollution they'll create, the more fighting they will do. We have no option. If it isn't controlled voluntarily, it will be controlled involuntarily by an increase in disease, starvation and war.

Address to the Joint Meeting of the All-Party Group on Population and Development and the All-Party Conservation Committee in London, March 11, 1987.

I do believe ... that human population pressure--the sheer number of people on this planet--is the single most important cause of the degradation of the natural environment, of the progressive extinction of wild species of plants and animals, and of the destabilization of the world's climatic and atmospheric systems.

The simple fact is that the human population of the world is consuming natural renewable resources faster than it can regenerate, and the process of exploitation is causing even further damage. If this is already happening with a population of 4 billion, I ask you to imagine what things will be like when the population reaches six and then 10 billion.... All this has been made possible by the industrial revolution and the scientific explosion and it is spread around the world by the new economic religion of development.

Thread Information