• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Just 96 months to save world...

Just 96 months to save world, says Prince Charles

The price of capitalism and consumerism is just too high, he tells industrialists

By Robert Verkaik

9 July 2009

Capitalism and consumerism have brought the world to the brink of economic and environmental collapse, the Prince of Wales has warned in a grandstand speech which set out his concerns for the future of the planet.

The heir to the throne told an audience of industrialists and environmentalists at St James's Palace last night that he had calculated that we have just 96 months left to save the world.

And in a searing indictment on capitalist society, Charles said we can no longer afford consumerism and that the "age of convenience" was over.

Charles's speech was described as his first attempt to present a coherent philosophy in which he placed the threat to the environment in the context of a failing economic system.

The Prince, who is advised by the leading environmentalists Jonathon Porritt and Tony Juniper, said that even the economist Adam Smith, father of modern capitalism, had been aware of the short-comings of unfettered materialism.

Delivering the annual Richard Dimbleby lecture, Charles said that without "coherent financial incentives and disincentives" we have just 96 months to avert "irretrievable climate and ecosystem collapse, and all that goes with it."

Charles has recently courted controversy by intervening in planning disputes, most notably the battle over the Chelsea Barracks design in London. It is also known that he writes privately to ministers when he wishes to put his concerns on record.

Now, he seems more willing to embrace much wider political issues in a much more public forum.

He confided last night: "We face the dual challenges of a world view and an economic system that seem to have enormous shortcomings, together with an environmental crisis – including that of climate change – which threatens to engulf us all."

Despite his attack on the materialism of the modern age, the Prince has been criticised for his own indulgences, including dozens of staff to run his homes and hundreds of thousands of pounds spent travelling around the world. While his private estates on the Duchy of Cornwall generate record profits his tax bill was lower than the year before.

Last night the Prince said: "But for all its achievements, our consumerist society comes at an enormous cost to the Earth and we must face up to the fact that the Earth cannot afford to support it. Just as our banking sector is struggling with its debts – and paradoxically also facing calls for a return to so-called 'old-fashioned', traditional banking – so Nature's life-support systems are failing to cope with the debts we have built up there too.

"If we don't face up to this, then Nature, the biggest bank of all, could go bust. And no amount of quantitative easing will revive it."

• Blackflag
    Banned
    • Apr 2006

I wonder why it's the people who already have the money that want an end to capitalism. I wonder.

And what's the significance of 96 months? Did he pull that out of his ass, or is he doing a whole nostradamus thing now?

What a dick.

Comment

• Jesus Christ
      Veteran
      • Jan 2004

No man shalt know the day or the hour of My return, or the end of the world. Verily, even I the Messiah do not know, and Charles of the House of Windsor certainly knoweth not.

But he does speaketh some truth, as far as what man hath done to the earth.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Christians who seek the Lord and study diligently will know the season...

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Doesn't Prince Charles have multiple mansions, boats, cars, jewelery, horses, etc.....

Easy to be against materialism once you have everything.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Jesus Christ
            Veteran
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
            Doesn't Prince Charles have multiple mansions, boats, cars, jewelery, horses, etc.....

Easy to be against materialism once you have everything.
            Verily..... but will he sell all he has, and give the money to the poor?

If not, then ...... well.... camel. eye. needle. Enough said.

Comment

• Jesus Christ
              Veteran
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
              Christians who seek the Lord and study diligently will know the season...
              Well, I did spell it out pretty clearly in Matthew 24, didn't I?

Comment

• Blackflag
                Banned
                • Apr 2006

I'm not sure if you like blashpheming or if you just realized that your own personality is too intellectually weak to debate an issue, so you went schitzo.

Either way, I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of this lame bullshit.

:dafinger: Douche bag.

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

I've been taking the same stance for years...he doesn't see it...

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2004

I'm the Son of God. I see everything.

Comment

• sadaist
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jul 2004

and the BCE is actually his cousins stereo store that he tries to promote here....

Bob Christs' Electronics
                      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Gar worked there, but he got fired...

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Blackflag

Either way, I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of this lame bullshit.
                          You've been back long enough to be tired of something?

Comment

• Coyote
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Give me 2 good reasons why I should take heed from the words of a man who preferred fucking around with horses over fucking Princess Di?
                            Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Dolemite!
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2009

NONE of this is news to me, that Prince Charles would say such a thing... I wondered when he was going to address the public on this. There is a plan to de-industrialize much of the world, basically returning the world closer to feudal system. This is easy to understand if you're able to stop idealising a seemingly benign president like Obama and see how he and Gore has a stake in cap and trade.

But beyond that a large part of the environmental movement itself has an ulterior motive to it.

Check out the WWF.

If you'll just consider the fact that Prince Phillip was a president for years. A guy who spoke of wiping out 80% of the world's population being in favour of conservation? It's not what i't's about, it's a land grab for powerful elites. The fund was set up by Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands who was the founder of the Bilderberg group. Here's a reality check: people like these born into wealth and more importantly power only do things to maintain that power balance.

De-industrialization, a greater hold on the masses is all part and parcel of the move towards a global government. You'll all be living in Soylent Green like congested cities with food rations before you begin to even see it. People are being screwed over big time. Cna't haeppene heaaeehh!!
                              Last edited by Dolemite!; 07-11-2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...