Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,063 Posts

Blog Entries

Your Top 5 Bass Players Of Punk

Been going over this this co-workers (okay, co-worker) after listening to UK Subs on the way to work and while several names floated around there were the notable ones we could come up with although I know I'm missing others that just aren't coming to mind. None of m top 5 were really based upon playing technique as you'd find in jazz or prog bands (this is punk after all!) but more on attitude and originality.

1. The Mighty Mike Watt!

The man who claims to be self-taught from listening only to Blue Oyster Cult records! Exactly how fucking cool is that!? Watt still claims to this day he never intended to play bass but picked it up after D. Boon claimed 6 stings were better than 4. Some of Watt's best playing? 'It's Expected, I'm Gone' from his Minutemen days and 'What Gets Heard' from his fIREHOSE era. I actually met him - sorta. He bumped into me on the way to the stage and nearly knocked me on my ass. He never turned around or apologized. In fact, he didn't even acknowledge me at all. I didn't care, I love the guy.

2. Dee Dee Ramone

"The righteous asshole of all punk bass players" Dee Dee was truly an original. Watch ANY performance of his and sit there and wonder how he held his bass lines so tight while jumping around and looking so lost (no, it wasn't the heroin). I still argue that most punk bass players (or self-professed ones like that shithead in Green Day) steal, have stolen and will continue steal from Dee Dee's technique. His whole "1,2,3,4" count off to every Ramones song was his trademark, his bass lines, forever written in punk history. Dee Dee's best playing? Like ANYTHING HE EVER DID!

3. Klaus Fluoride (Dead Kennedys)

Probably the most nerdy-looking bass player ever (except for that douchebag in Weezer - but hey, if you like Weezer we can't be friends, okay?) Klaus was like the John Entwhistle of punk bass in that he was always bringing his bass out to the fore evenly competing with East Bay Ray's Echoplexed surf guitar lines and D.H. Peligro's rapid-fire drumming. Klaus's bass always sounded fucked to me - as if he was purposefully over-driving it in order to make a name for himself but after re-listening to their first album to start to understand that punk bass players were meant to be loud. As in REALLY FUCKING LOUD. Best playing? 'Chemical Warfare,' 'DMSO', 'Holiday In Cambodia', and 'Bus Through The Barrier' (Klaus solo).

4. Paul Simonon

No one is a bigger fan of The Clash then me (okay, I've met others that are bigger). Simonon took a different approach to punk bass style in that he took laid-back reggae groove to much of Jone's pseudo-ska style and lead fills and Strummer's bombastic rhythms and what he pulled off was amazing. Never thought he was ever given the full credit due and much of that could have been from him not being heard the mix of The Clash's studio recordings as he should have been. Plus, in his heyday, Simonon was one of the sexist bass players, ever! So what if he sucked in his cheekbones and looked like a sultry supermodel the guy was sexy. Simonon's best playing? 'Guns Of Brixton', 'This Is England', "Armageddon Time'.

5. Graham Maby

Who? Graham Maby was/is Joe Jackson's bass player. Even though the guy stills plays with Joe in more of a softer jazz-esque style I dare say his was one of the true unsung originals of punk bass playing. Even Flea (and take his opinion for what's its worth) noted Maby of one of his main influences. What I liked about Maby, like I do with Klaus, is that he was LOUD often drowning out Gary Sanford's Strat and pretty much becoming the soul rhythm section of Jackson's early recordings. Maby's best playing? 'Sunday Papers', 'Fools In Love', 'I'm The Man' 'One More Time' and 'Don't Wanna Be Like That'.

So there you have it. I know I'm missing others but I'm tired of brain-farting about it and choose these five.
    Last edited by Kristy; 07-20-2009 at 06:48 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-01-2024 @ 08:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Glen Matlock - The Sex Pistols REAL bass player.

Yes, the Messiah listens to punk rock. Surprised?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

1) Klaus Fluoride
    2) Klaus Fluoride
    3) Klaus Fluoride
    4) Klaus Fluoride
    5) Klaus Fluoride

4. Thanked lesfunk for this KICKASS post:

hideyoursheep (07-22-2009)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Well, since Klaus has been mentioned twice now, he's featured in this one.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3zNgeEwUfDA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3zNgeEwUfDA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(Sorry, JC. Probably not one of Your favorite songs...... )

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think any punk bass players are super talented, that wasn't the point of punk. Seems maybe the thread should be who is the coolest bass punk player.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mike Dirnt deserves a mention here. It's debatable whether or not Green Day could still be considered a punk band, but that's obviously where their roots are, and Mike is one hell of a bass player for that genre.

8. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (03-19-2010)

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What about Darryl Jenifer of Bad Brains?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Green Day fucking blow, and are a punk band in image only.

After Dee Dee Ramone, the rest is slim pickings.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How about Flea? Yeah the Chili's haven't been "punk" for a while now, but he was in "Suburbia", for Christ's sake.

Another guy worthy of note would be Steve Pfauter, original bass player for The Vandals.

For those not familiar with his work........

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/poz9Qp4olCo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/poz9Qp4olCo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tr7n_NLeJQE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tr7n_NLeJQE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2024 @ 02:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

My Top 5:
    1. John Paul Jones / No Question
    2. Mike Dirnt
    3. Billy Sheehan
    4. Jason Newstead - always liked him in Metallica
    5. DD Ramone

The Don: Roth Army Militi
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-17-2024 @ 10:50 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Bruce Foxton from The Jam has to be somewhere in the top 5

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FL_P4jnQs3M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FL_P4jnQs3M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Vandals channel their inner Elvis......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SHRu2mo7gxY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en& feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SHRu2mo7gxY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en& feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 08:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ppg960 View Post
    My Top 5:
    1. John Paul Jones / No Question
    2. Mike Dirnt
    3. Billy Sheehan
    4. Jason Newstead - always liked him in Metallica
    5. DD Ramone
    Uh...no.

The correct answer is Lemmy.

You do not pass go, you do not collect $200.

17. Thanked hideyoursheep for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-22-2009)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave Blood of the Dead Milkmen was pretty good (R.I.P.)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rhgAJO_kwr8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rhgAJO_kwr8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmDBmqcAE40&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmDBmqcAE40&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Last edited by FORD; 07-22-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Bruce Foxton from The Jam has to be somewhere in the top 5
    The Jam...eh. They were more Mod-(dish) than punk. Weller may have penned a decent tune here and there but for the most part he was (and still is) a complete dick. And Green Day were never punk* much less original in anything they ever spewed out.

*unless you use the moniker "corporate" anywhere in the context of their shitty band name.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hideyoursheep View Post
    Uh...no.

Lemmy also was never punk! He's a loud ROCK bassist. Period.

Now Watt, on the other hand - slapping it a bit Larry Graham stylee
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l94v8u1Cv_o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l94v8u1Cv_o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And as for Larry Graham...dude just plays as if he's from another planet.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j2_SreKsg2k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j2_SreKsg2k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I could mention Jerry Only from the Misfits.... but he turned into such a fucking douchebag after the band broke up, so I won't.

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2024 @ 02:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hideyoursheep View Post
    Uh...no.

You do not pass go, you do not collect $200.
    Uh Uh.... you wery rong yung grasshoppa.
    Puck-you!!:tongue0011:

King Edtard
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-15-2009 @ 01:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Christ View Post

You got great taste Heysus!

King Edtard
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-15-2009 @ 01:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Green Day fucking blow, and are a punk band in image only.

After Dee Dee Ramone, the rest is slim pickings.

Ironically you can say the samething about The Ramones

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    03-19-2010 @ 01:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

whoa chill out

who for whom who try to diss green day stfu
    they are a band who actualy made it to being in big record sales and the billboards.
    yes the may have changed from dookie to american idiot but they still have their punk heritage from eastbay.

my top 5 ARE!!!!!

1.mike drint (opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one/ so stfu all u GD hatrs)
    2. john paul jones (HE DID AND DOSE MORE THEN LED ZEP so dont be all like led zep isnt punk)
    3. dee dee ramone
    4. paul simon
    5. flea (he may not b punk 2day but he can slap dat bbass like a bitch

honnorable mentions

geddy lee rush (great canadian band)
    mike watt
    and many others for whom i am to lazy or tierd to remember

and for anyone who thinks that the bass player of rise against is awsome

re-education
    Verse 1
    |------------| |------------|
    |------------|[Pause]|------------|
    |----33----0-| |----33----0-|
    |0-0----33---|x8 |0-0----33---|x6

|-------------------------------------------------------------|
    |-------------------------------------------------------------|
    |-00-000-000-0000--00-000-000-0000--33-333-333-33330-555555555|
    |----------------3----------------3---------------------------|

Chorus
    |---------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |---------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |-------------5-5-5-5-0-0-0-0-7-7-7-7-5-5-5-5-0-0-0-0-23-32-20----|
    |-0-0-0-0-3-3-3-3------------------------------------------------530|

|----------------------------------------------------------------|
    |----------------------------------------------------------------|
    |---------555555550000000077777777555555550000000233332200|
    |0000000033333333---------------------------------------------|

that isnt a bass line, its a joke.

and like i said b4 opinions are like ass holes, i only want to see the nice ones PLEASE!

peace
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bass101; 03-19-2010 at 01:16 AM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 02:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Paul Simonon
    that's kind of funny. i remember an interview with Mick Jones (probably when he started Big Audio Dynamite, and probably in Musician magazine) where he mentioned someone with stickers all over the fretboard, and he referred to it as the Paul Simonon method. as in he had to follow the stickers to know where his fingers went.

Quote Originally Posted by bass101 View Post
    who for whom who try to diss green day stfu
    they are a band who actualy made it to being in big record sales and the billboards.
    yes the may have changed from dookie to american idiot but they still have their punk heritage from eastbay.

my top 5 ARE!!!!!

1.mike drint (opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one/ so stfu all u GD hatrs)
    2. john paul jones (HE DID AND DOSE MORE THEN LED ZEP so dont be all like led zep isnt punk)
    3. dee dee ramone
    4. paul simon
    5. flea (he may not b punk 2day but he can slap dat bbass like a bitch

welcome to the site. glad to see you could take a few minutes off from swinging from Mike Drint's nutsack to bump this dead thread up.

and JPJ and Paul Simon aren't punk bassists, genius.

what is it with the fucking foreigners? first the Vince Neil sackriders, and now this clown...
    Last edited by twonabomber; 03-19-2010 at 01:26 AM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2024 @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Both Dee Dee Ramone and Flea are great. I always liked Rudy Sarzo's bass playing.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Both Dee Dee Ramone and Flea are great. I always liked Rudy Sarzo's bass playing.
    Well Rudy Sarzo isn't punk, but aside from that, are you sure you really heard him playing bass? See, Rudy has this odd habit of joining bands after the album is already done, and getting credit on the cover despite not playing a note. Hell, he did it twice in one band.

Joined Quiet Riot in 1978, just before the release of their second album, which was already recorded. Kelly Garni did the work, Rudy got the credit.

Joined Ozzy's band in 1981 just before the release of "Diary of a Madman", which was already recorded. Bob Daisley did the work, Rudy got the credit.

Rejoined Quiet Riot in 1983, just before the release of Metal Health, which was already recorded. Chuck Wright did the work, Rudy got the credit.

Joined Whitesnake in 1987, just after the release of their self titled cheese ballad infested album. Neil Murray did the work, and was correctly credited on the album, but Rudy appeared in all the videos which appeared on MTV 50 fucking times a day, so many people think he played on it.

Can any other musician claim a track record like that?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Christ View Post

We have the winner !

What equals punk ?

Sex Pistols = Punk

Glenn Matlock = Punk's best Bassist...

He had a huge input into the defiining punk record of our times
    "Never Mind the Bollocks"

To me, this is the man....

Would you even know what Punk was without the original pistols ???

Oakland '81...WTF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-28-2015 @ 09:48 AM
    Status
    Thanks

What? No mention of Sid?
    No mention of Dave Alexander from the Stooges? Not necessarily punk, but they helped with the blueprint, for sure.
    Fucking Dee Dee...with his "ONE TWO THREE FAW, his lyrics, and his merciless attack of the bass.
    THE man when it comes to Punk and the bass guitar, God rest his soul...

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-25-2015 @ 02:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 850 Posts

7. C'el Revuelta
    6. Kira Roessler
    5. Chuck Dukowski
    4. Glen "Spot" Lockett
    3. Raymond Pettibon(**fuckinay**)
    (for those who don't know fucking shit #7 thru #3 were all bassists for the immortal Black Flag)
    2. Kira Roessler
    1. "Wattie" Watson of the English Dogs

I win, fuckholes!!!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    7. C'el Revuelta
    6. Kira Roessler
    5. Chuck Dukowski
    4. Glen "Spot" Lockett
    (for those who don't know fucking shit #7 thru #3 were all bassists for the immortal Black Flag)
    2. Kira Roessler

I win, fuckholes!!!
    To me its about the inventors, not the followers.

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panamark View Post
    To me its about the inventors, not the followers.
    hmmmm....well, you're more than welcome to lay down your own list, homeboy!
    ....instead of waiting for others and hammering on their lists, why don't you lay down your top 5?

I'll be a gentleman, just like I am with the rest of the ladies, and let you go-for-what-you-know.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    7. C'el Revuelta
    6. Kira Roessler
    5. Chuck Dukowski
    4. Glen "Spot" Lockett
    2. Kira Roessler

I win, fuckholes!!!
    I recognized all the Black Flag names, but why did you mention Kira twice?

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    I recognized all the Black Flag names, but why did you mention Kira twice?
    She was one of the founding members of Dos and and a member of fIREHOSE.....she's such a badass that Black Flag were willing to work around her schedule to keep her in the band....

It was a top 5 list....she deserves to be mentioned twice.....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2024 @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Well Rudy Sarzo isn't punk, but aside from that, are you sure you really heard him playing bass? See, Rudy has this odd habit of joining bands after the album is already done, and getting credit on the cover despite not playing a note. Hell, he did it twice in one band.

Joined Quiet Riot in 1978, just before the release of their second album, which was already recorded. Kelly Garni did the work, Rudy got the credit.

Joined Ozzy's band in 1981 just before the release of "Diary of a Madman", which was already recorded. Bob Daisley did the work, Rudy got the credit.

Rejoined Quiet Riot in 1983, just before the release of Metal Health, which was already recorded. Chuck Wright did the work, Rudy got the credit.

Joined Whitesnake in 1987, just after the release of their self titled cheese ballad infested album. Neil Murray did the work, and was correctly credited on the album, but Rudy appeared in all the videos which appeared on MTV 50 fucking times a day, so many people think he played on it.

Can any other musician claim a track record like that?
    I saw him play at the US Festival in 1983. He held his own.

Thread Information