Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Without dipping my feet into this too much...

Fan Halen might have the look (kudos for the drumkit, BTW), but I'd rather see The Punks. It's an enthusiasm thing, y'know...
    Last edited by Coyote; 08-09-2009, 06:09 PM.
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Douglas T.
      Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by Coyote
      Without dipping my feet into this too much...

Fan Halen might have the look (kudos for the drumkit, BTW), but I'd rather see The Punks. It's an enthusiasm thing, y'know...
      ... or is it just the coolest band name thing?!?

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Douglas T.
        Funny this thread appears! I just got home from the Fan Halen show! Derek and Brian have it going n! I have never seen the Atomic Punks but Fan Halen damn sure put on a great show in Orlando tonight!
        Maybe seeing them in person is a different story Doug, but just from looking at those two clips, it's no contest IMO... Punks hands down....
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Coyote
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

... or is it just the coolest band name thing?!?
          No comment.
          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Douglas T.
            Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

Lmao!

Last edited by ELVIS; 08-11-2009, 04:52 PM. Reason: Because of the big fat fag tattoo...

Comment

• speedtruckermf
              Groupie
              • Mar 2004

Houston we have one problem! What is wrong with this picture of David Lee Brian?!

MySpace - David Lee Brian - 41 - Male - LONG BEACH, California - myspace.com/davidleebrian

He's got that damn 5150 tattoo.

Comment

• davehagarfan
                Head Fluffer
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by chefcraig
                Who needs any VH Tribute band at this point? Kinda silly to be talking about "authenticity" when the real band recently toured and is supposedly preparing new material, ya know?

And by the way, if you really are involved with the Punks other than appropriating the name, you are engaging in an interesting theory of public relations. In the first place, cover bands make their living performing not only the tunes, yet by using the actions and personae of another act rather than creating their own. In other words, they are no different than some band playing Top 40 cover tunes in a pub someplace, except they dress up in costumes. To take shots at another group that is plying the same trade is not only unprofessional, it's simply dumb.

Believe it or not, there are ways in which to pimp your favored band other than at the expense of the so-called competition. The "had no life" line (along with your other commentary) was completely uncalled for.
                The real band got back together? The only thing I've heard about is some half ass three quarters, scab version parading around as the real thing.

Until Ed, Al and Dave pull their heads out of their ass and get Mike back VH is nothing but a glorified tribute band at best. If you're like me and have seen the Punks you'll agree that they're younger and do a better job on the songs

Comment

• VanHalener
                  ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Houston we have one problem! What is wrong with this picture of David Lee Brian?!

MySpace - David Lee Brian - 41 - Male - LONG BEACH, California - myspace.com/davidleebrian
                  Sheep Stamp

BWahahahahahah!
                  ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• Dr. Love
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

I've seen the punks and fan halen, I enjoyed both. I'd go see either again whenever they come to dfw (going on the 20th to see the punks when they are in town).

Both bands do a good job, who cares which is best? If I wanted to see the best rendition of classic van halen, I'd pop in a dvd of their tour in south america and watch it.

I don't think comparison threads like this started by one of the bands themselves is a good idea or serves that band very well. Just my take. The intarwebs doesn't take well to perceived boasting in general.
                    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                      I'm surprised one of these tribute bands hasn't ponied up a little extra scratch and gotten the real Michael Anthony yet. Sure he may have to sign away all future Chickenfoot rights, but really...how hard is it to sign away $10? At least with a tribute band playing in clubs that usually serve food, he would finally have a market for his hot sauce.
                      There in lies the problem... Neither band has even invested in the proper hair plugs for the MA character nor the Roth character.

FanHalen at least got a fat fucker up there but that fat boy needs to move his ass on stage.

I'd say the Punks have it closer... but they need to fatten up the Bassplayer.

It ain't CVH without hairplugs!!

May I suggest you hire 113 as your hairplug consultant...

Get it right you bunch of posers!!
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• atomicpunk5151
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Aug 2004

Just to chime in. After seeing the every Ralph incarnation of the Punks since 94, they were the gold standard of VH tribute bands. It filled a huge void while Hagar was with Ed. I had a great time at every Punks show I have been to in NorCal & SoCal.

Now with all the lineup changes in the APs and everyone and their mother coming out with their own version of a VH tribute, it has lost a little luster.

If a few of the tribute bands want to drum up a little interest with a little whos better, well then more power to them. It's all in fun anyways.

ALSO, if you are not heavily drinking at these shows, then what are you doing there..lol?

+++++++++++++++

On a side note Joe the bass player for the APs (the original poster of this topic) has always been very cool at every show I have been to. He also posts a bit over at jamtothis.com and would always answer questions about the Punks.

++++

Former Punks (& DLR band) guitar player BYoung used to post over at diamonddavidleeroth.com a few years back. That was cool for a while as well.
                        Last edited by atomicpunk5151; 08-10-2009, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• DLR4VH
                          Full On Cocktard
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                          I've seen the punks and fan halen, I enjoyed both. I'd go see either again whenever they come to dfw (going on the 20th to see the punks when they are in town).

Both bands do a good job, who cares which is best? If I wanted to see the best rendition of classic van halen, I'd pop in a dvd of their tour in south america and watch it.

I don't think comparison threads like this started by one of the bands themselves is a good idea or serves that band very well. Just my take. The intarwebs doesn't take well to perceived boasting in general.
                          This is Derek with FAN HALEN and I agree with this post...I don't think there's anyone who really cares which "tribute" band to Van Halen is better….it’s a tribute band for God sakes! If you’re a fan of classic Van Halen you're going to enjoy both bands as both do a great job of recreating classic Van Halen!

Honestly, I think the Punks are a very good band (I've supported them since Bart Walsh was the guitarist) and they're the reason we do this in the first place. I've never said a bad thing about them but they like to disparage me and my band and say we suck, we’re shitty musicians or I'm a "homo" (actually said this on a Youtube video comment where my son is playing guitar). Of course this is their prerogative and I can understand the emotion behind it as they’ve never really had competition before.

So come on out and see either band, have a few beers and I promise you will have a good time! And if anyone’s interested FAN HALEN is at the Anaheim Downtown Disney House of Blues this Friday, August 14th with a GREAT tribute to Led Zeppelin, Led Zepagain. Then Saturday, August 15th we’re at the San Diego House of Blues.

Finally, thank you to everyone who wrote nice comments about my band, I truly appreciate it and appreciate your support!

Hope to see you soon!

-Derek
                          The Official Fan Halen Web Site
                          FAN HALEN - Anahiem & San Diego House of Blues on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2004

Who cares?! Both bands a obviously passionate about CVH and that's all that matters here. Cheers to both bands for keeping the spirit alive!

Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Anonymous
                              Banned
                              • May 2004

Well, one it comes to attitude, Fan Halen takes the cheese, I believe.

Well posted, Derek.

Although, technically speaking, now that both bands have someone here, there COULD be a shitfest...

Not that I'm trying to unleash one on the other, but it's still fairer than when this thread started.

Kudos for giving props to the Punks after "their" rotten attitude, nevertheless.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• Douglas T.
                                Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by DLR4VH
                                This is Derek with FAN HALEN and I agree with this post...I don't think there's anyone who really cares which "tribute" band to Van Halen is better….it’s a tribute band for God sakes! If you’re a fan of classic Van Halen you're going to enjoy both bands as both do a great job of recreating classic Van Halen!
                                Hope to see you soon!

-Derek
                                The Official Fan Halen Web Site
                                FAN HALEN - Anahiem & San Diego House of Blues on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Thanks for all the "hard work" touring and coming thru for your fans in Orlando and all around the country! Hope to see you back soon! bring that Zepplin band with ya!

Comment

Working...