Thread: Fan Halen vs. The Atomic Punks

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-05-2016 @ 12:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAtomicPunks View Post
    WE DEFINITELY don't say we are look alikes, nor do we call ourselves by the actual Van Halen members names!!
    Yeah I thought it would had been better at the end when David Lee Brian introduced the band he'd have used their stage names instead of the actual Van Halen members names! Nonetheless you PUNKS got your work cut out for ya with this battle of the clones!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    I'm moving this crap...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    I'm moving this crap...
    Can we get a courtesy flush please... startin to stink up the joint!!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-03-2013 @ 05:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post

As far as you not liking Page. lol Well we can disagree on that one.
    ZZ is totally right about Page's LIVE playing. Go listen to the 100s of live bootlegs from the 75 or 77 tours. Page is strung out and VERY sloppy at most shows.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah I saw em on those tours... clearly Page's better work during that period was in the studio.

* * Stay Frosty * *
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-26-2012 @ 05:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    ZZ is totally right about Page's LIVE playing. Go listen to the 100s of live bootlegs from the 75 or 77 tours. Page is strung out and VERY sloppy at most shows.
    Yes thats true for a certain point of his career but thats not the whole story and not his legacy. Trust me I know what the deal is still Page is a favorite of mine.

It's all besides the point really. I'm not being harsh on the tribute bands. One claims they looked like the real people. Being a VH fan I just think it's silly because none of them do. I posted that Page dude as someone who is able to back up that claim..as silly as it is.

I guess this thread is pointless. A battle of the imitators noone wants to participate in. lol I was just a little shocked by that claim.

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Speaking of Jimmy Page...

From the archives of The Onion...

Unreleased Jimmy Page Guitar Riff To Be Retrieved From Secret Vault To Save Rock And Roll

GWYNEDD, WALES—Calling it the planet's last, best hope for saving rock music, the Guardians of the Protectorate of Rock announced Monday that they would take the extraordinary step of unleashing a never-before-heard Jimmy Page riff, hidden for decades in a mythic, impenetrable vault.

Some speculate that this is the gate to the secret vault.

"We who believe in the immortality of rock took a vow 30 years ago that we would never release this incredibly powerful force unless we faced a Day of Reckoning—and that day has come," said Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi, one of the chosen few who helped forge the Secret Vault to Save Rock and Roll, at a press conference in the Welsh highlands. "Just look at the pop charts, and you shall know I speak the truth."
    "Let's give rock and roll its fucking balls back," he added.

The Guardians said recent developments in the music world, such as the unaccountable popularity of the Dixie Chicks and Sufjan Stevens, have created a "perfect storm of lameness" from which rock might never recover. While Iommi refused to say when the vault would be opened, hard rock sources believe it will take place just prior to next month's Fall Out Boy–Honda Civic tour, which many fear will suck the remaining lifeblood from all that still rocks.

"Citizens of Rock, we refuse to stand idly by any longer," ZZ Top founder and Protectorate High Elder Billy Gibbons said. "When a puss like James Blunt is allowed to rule the airwaves, we must respond by exposing this monster riff, and blowing minds into the stratosphere."

The Protectorate, devoted to the preservation of badass jams and blistering guitar solos, was reportedly formed in the 1970s during the rise of adult contemporary music. According to legend, the riff, played only once by Page and recorded on a special cobalt record, contains the raw power, mind-blowing skill, and unbridled passion of all the Guardians combined. Recently translated parchments from the era describe it as a soul-searing power-chord progression faintly resembling a cross between "Smoke On The Water" and "Living Loving Maid," but "basically defying all description."

It is believed that, upon the riff's release, even those who claim that the genre is dead will have no choice but to pump their fists, bang their heads, and bow down to the gods of rock for all eternity.

"May God have mercy on our souls for what we are going to set loose upon the world," proclaimed Queen guitarist Brian May, dressed in druidic robes and bathed in the rising blue smoke of a nearby fog machine. "Will it save rock or destroy mankind? We have no way of knowing—yet we have no other choice."

Members of the Protectorate were each given only partial information about the location of the vault, which they were instructed to open in unison only in the event of a total Rockopalypse. While some believed the vault was buried in Boston, Chicago, Kansas, Europe, or Asia, others claimed it could be found in the Court of the Crimson King.

However, after piecing together clues hidden in Yes album covers and Pink Floyd liner notes, rock historians now believe the riff is locked away deep beneath the Welsh countryside house known as Bron-Yr-Aur, at rock-grid coordinates SH735026. British weather satellites have also photographed an enormous cloud, shaped like a hybrid of an upside-down question mark and cross, forming above these exact coordinates.

The vault's Key, regarded as too staggering a burden for any one man to bear, was divided in two parts, with half entrusted to Eddie Van Halen and half to David Lee Roth, shortly after Roth left the rock supergroup Van Halen. The two men, who have refused to work together for 20 years, recently announced plans for a historic reunion tour.
    "Before we shake Heaven and Earth with the vicious power of this riff, we of the High Council of Elders of the Guardians of the Protectorate of Rock ask you: Are you about to rock?" AC/DC guitarist Angus Young said. "If so, we salute you."

When asked to comment on the possible dangers of using the riff, Sir Paul McCartney seemed surprised. "There's a secret vault to save rock and roll?" McCartney said. "This is the first I've heard of it."

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    09-20-2013 @ 06:59 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Don't know why this post was moved to an irrelevant section but here's a new video..

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bueno bob View Post
    That said, tribute bands arguing amongst themselves about who's "truer" is kinda gay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imapus_Sylicker View Post
    No, it isn't. It rawks, like having all the living, breathing drama rite in the mess of your own living room. Instead of just judging who's the best at playing/impersonating we also get to judge who's got the more game over the internet.

Cheers! :bottle:
    As opposed to a parking lot where both groups are flyering cars, like at the beginning of Rock Star?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    As opposed to a parking lot where both groups are flyering cars, like at the beginning of Rock Star?

STEEL DRAGON fuckin rules!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAtomicPunks View Post
    Don't know why this post was moved to an irrelevant section but here's a new video..
    Maybe ELVIS or one of the MODS could move this to "House of MUSIC" since this is OTHER band type material.

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-02-2020 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 997 Posts

Just got back from seeing The Atomic Punks.

I have only seen them once before (Brian and Ralph were in the band, and it was in Austin, TX back in 2004ish) and I wasn't sure it would be as good as it was then. I did watch the videos in this thread and from them I had thought without Ralph Saenz they wouldn't be as good. Back then I thought they were really good. Well, they are definitely much better now. Much, much better. Their new singer sounds verbatim like Dave, especially when he talks to the audience.

I've also seen Fan Halen before (earlier this year or late last year, I can't recall exactly) and thought they were good though I did think they were off at times (within an acceptable margin).

So previously in this thread, I had said that it didn't matter who was better, and if I wanted to see an accurate classic van halen show I'd watch a classic van halen bootleg. Well, I take it back. I was wrong. The punks were without a doubt ridiculously good, almost beyond belief at times. If I wanted to see an accurate classic van halen show, I'd go see the Punks without a doubt.

If the question is who is best, I say the Punks without hesitation. I like Fan Halen. I'd go see them again, but it really is no question. Beyond that I had a lot of fun. It was great to hear songs that I didn't expect to hear like Hear About It Later. If they go to your town, you should really go see them. I enjoyed their show more than I enjoyed going to see VH with Dave on the last tour. They seem to really capture the excitement and attitude of early VH.

I really enjoyed the show. I think they said they'd be back in Dallas later in the year. I'll definitely be going again, and taking as many friends with me as I can. The only shame was that there weren't many people in the audience. I felt like a band like the Punks deserved a much bigger audience.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well if Doc Lust says it's good... it is good!!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    STEEL DRAGON fuckin rules!
    I always get a kick out of that movie, if not just to watch Jennifer Aniston...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Thumbs up Learn something new every day...

I've got to see Fan Halen now, just found out "Alex" is my former drummer Larry...!

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

What do you think?? Which VH Tribute would you guys rather see?? Atomic Punks or Fan Halen?? Claims like this need to be adressed by the real VH fans....ok, take a look and listen, Fan Halen 2009 & Atomic Punks 2009, YOU GUYS be the judges!!
    well responding to this before reading anybody else's reaction - I see actors in Fan Halen and musicians in Atomic Punks. Yeah it's probably silly to even engage in this comparison, but I have had some good times over the years at tribute band concerts. And the Punks strike me as the more realistic experience. Fan Halen saying these guys LOOK like the original VH members is crazy - did you SEE Michael Anthony? looks more like John Belushi after a bender.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes, Sensible View Post
    well responding to this before reading anybody else's reaction - I see actors in Fan Halen and musicians in Atomic Punks. Yeah it's probably silly to even engage in this comparison

Kinda...and I can attest having been in a band with the dude, the drummer for Fan Halen is indeed a phenomenal musician and player.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,392 Times in 6,052 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    Isn't this what Classic Van Halen rock & roll is all about...

everybody pissin' on everybody else's cheerios.

From one of the webmasters here, in all honesty...Derek and Joe, it's good having you both here at the best "Tribute" to Diamond David Lee Roth on the internet.

Get out your swag.

We've backed the Punks to years, run websites for them and their former members, been at more than enough shows to count...so the Punks know where the Army stands.

Competition never hurt anyone....
    Plus who could forget all the hard disk space they saved the Roth Army by deleting those 750 000 posts...?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    uhh huh uh uh uhu hu huh

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Kinda...and I can attest having been in a band with the dude, the drummer for Fan Halen is indeed a phenomenal musician and player.
    You are not only the PRON king, but a musician as well? I'm smitten.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Have to laugh, this guy just asked to "friend" me on Facebook - didn't know why, and it turns out he is in a Swedish VH tribute band - He's DLR. I mention Vh on my facebook profile, so not if he found me through here or there. Should I invite him if he's not already here?

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,119 Posts

You should invite everyone. Let everyone in, the more the merrier.

There's enough time for worries and regret afterwards.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2014 @ 08:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Well I can put this whole Fan Halen vs Atomic Punks despute to rest right here and now...I present the Mighty VEN HELEN (pay special attention to the 1:19 mark)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That is just wrong on so many levels....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The bar seems to be set fairly low with our asian friends...

They seem to be much better at video than rock.

At 2 minutes 50 he gets so bored he takes an order for sweet and sour chicken...
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 11-04-2009 at 06:03 AM.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hey, there's Toshi's next gig!!!!
    Last edited by Sensible Shoes; 11-04-2009 at 06:51 AM.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, I had the time to look them up - Live from Sweden - It's "FanHeller" with Leif Garvin as Roth.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He kept saying "check out my batmobile" - and I stumbled on this in the list - I don't know guys, he may have Army potential.....seems to be a certified motorhead.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This cover of RWTD might be a little more convincing.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm just wondering at what point the tribute bands will have to start hanging about outside school gates looking for fat kids to recruit...

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,119 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DLR4VH View Post
    Well I can put this whole Fan Halen vs Atomic Punks despute to rest right here and now...I present the Mighty VEN HELEN (pay special attention to the 1:19 mark)
    Oh, man! Dude! VEN HELEN fuckin' RAWK! Screw Steel Panda, VEN HELEN are my new all-time favourite band!

Are there any more videos by this band? Is the guitar player really Cato? Do they have a CD out? A DVD?

VEN HELEN are the gratest band in the world!

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I want somebody to look at Fanheller. We need to have some fun with this.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's it. I'm startin' another thread.

Thread Information