Yet Another Reason Not To Join Facebook Or Other Social Networking Sites...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
    I'm sorry, but that's a douchebag thing to do to a group of people who don't bother anyone.

The only way I can see it justified if they're in the vein of Katydid and they're asking for it like she was.

While it's clear that this facebook member wasn't intending for this information to be made public, it's just not a good idea to be sending this type of information over the internet if one is worried about privacy.

The issue of if this lady made a mistake in formatting and sending the information or if she was the victim of someone screwing with her account would have been moot had she simply NOT POSTED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. If she was the victim of hacking, obviously she didn't ask for it to happen and isn't to blame any more than a rape victim was "asking for it"...but why even take a chance on internet security or computer errors when transmitting information like that?

I mean, from what I read, Michael did a good job of cleaning her pipes. The LEAST he deserved is a phone call, rather than some tossed-off "thanks for the good fuck" message via facebook.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Anonymous
      Banned
      • May 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      While it's clear that this facebook member wasn't intending for this information to be made public, it's just not a good idea to be sending this type of information over the internet if one is worried about privacy.

The issue of if this lady made a mistake in formatting and sending the information or if she was the victim of someone screwing with her account would have been moot had she simply NOT POSTED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. If she was the victim of hacking, obviously she didn't ask for it to happen and isn't to blame any more than a rape victim was "asking for it"...but why even take a chance on internet security or computer errors when transmitting information like that?

I mean, from what I read, Michael did a good job of cleaning her pipes. The LEAST he deserved is a phone call, rather than some tossed-off "thanks for the good fuck" message via facebook.
      I'm surprise you wrote this, Terry. You're always spot on.

First of all, what makes you think she sent that message in the first place? If she was hacked, the hacker could've just made that up and written it. It doesn't have to be personal info.

However, and knowing full well that such things DO happen, I'm not really sure this was a hacker attack... unless the hacker knew the victim well, felt he was wronged and decide to indulge on a little revenge, it was probably the woman herself who wrote that.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Imapus_Sylicker
        I'm surprise you wrote this, Terry. You're always spot on.

First of all, what makes you think she sent that message in the first place? If she was hacked, the hacker could've just made that up and written it. It doesn't have to be personal info.

However, and knowing full well that such things DO happen, I'm not really sure this was a hacker attack... unless the hacker knew the victim well, felt he was wronged and decide to indulge on a little revenge, it was probably the woman herself who wrote that.

Cheers! :bottle:

I was working off the supposition that she had actually posted the messages in a private person-to-person exchange, and had either by mistake sent the message to a public wall post OR had those messages manipulated by a site hacker so they would be displayed publicly.

I mean, I guess someone could have hacked into her account and just made it all up and posted it to make it LOOK like she did it by accident, but it seems a bit far-fetched. Not to say it couldn't be done, but if one has the abilities to do THAT, I can think of far more lucrative uses for such hacking skills than just making someone look silly.

Or even on a simple revenge front, the prank is kind of weak...why hack in to create the appearance of someone who hadn't been laid in awhile having enjoyed a nice screw?
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Dr. Love
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
          Sounds like some sort of "Anonymous" nonsense...
          I wouldn't talk shit about anonymous...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ba84EL6wO10&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ba84EL6wO10&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

They do it for the epic lulz!
          I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• standin
            Veteran
            • Apr 2009

That is quite an old report.

This is them now.
            “If you’ve been affected, I would advise you call or write customer support and corporate immediately,” 4chan founder Moot wrote on the site’s status page Sunday....

“They essentially dropped a nuke instead of using the fly swatter,” Moot said in an e-mail to Threat Level
            This is handy work of theirs also.

Teen Ashton Lundeby Charged as an Adult for Bomb Threats

By Kevin Poulsen July 8, 2009 | 7:33 pm | Categories: The Courts
            A 16-year-old North Carolina boy arrested for allegedly making a bomb threat against Purdue University has been charged as an adult for that threat, and for threats against eight other schools and two FBI offices, the Justice Department announced Wednesday.

Ashton Lundeby allegedly staged bomb hoaxes from mid-2008 until his arrest last March. He’s charged with conspiring to make threats against Purdue, the University of North Carolina, Florida State University, Clemson University, Boston College and FBI offices in Colorado and Louisiana.

The indictment also accuses him of making a series of five more calls to high schools around the country on March 4, two days before his arrest.

“All will be cleansed.” Listen to the March 4, 2009 bomb threats

Lundeby’s mother, Annette Lundeby, admitted in an interview with Threat Level in May that her son was “Tyrone” — a notorious prank phone caller who performed for a live internet audience in exchange for PayPal donations. But she claimed that he was with her in church at the time of the Purdue hoax.

An former fan of “Tyrone” who helped police track him down told Threat Level that the prank caller had begun accepting donations in exchange for shutting down donors’ schools for a day with fake bomb threats — a charge reflected in the indictment.

According to prosecutors in South Bend, Indiana, where the case was filed, a federal judge granted a government motion to try the teenager as an adult — an unusual request from the feds that cleared the way for his indictment and the public release of his name. Lundeby is in custody.

Ashton Lundeby’s arrest stoked widespread outrage on the web after Raleigh, North Carolina’s WRAL-5 reported on the case, noting that the boy is a patriotic homeschooled student with an American flag bedspread. Much of the online fury was triggered by Annette Lundeby’s incorrect claim — uncritically reported by the station — that the boy was being held without any legal rights on the authority of the 2001 USA Patriot Act.

See Also:

Mom Loses Bid for Purdue Bomb Hoax Suspect’s Freedom
            Teenage Bomb Threat Suspect Was Internet Prank-Call Star
            4chan | Threat Level | Wired.com
            To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
            MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• Dr. Love
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

I posted it to make a very different point...

You're essentially talking about a bunch of bored teens/pre-adults. They are pulling silly pranks. That's the extent of it. I mean, this is the same entity (I use the term loosely) that tracked down the kid that was being abusive to his cat and turned him into the police, and the same entity that goes and plays the rick astley song outside of scientology buildings.
              I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• standin
                Veteran
                • Apr 2009

Accused Palin Hacker Says Stolen E-Mails Were Public Record

A surprise legal maneuver by the defense in the Sarah Palin hacking case could undermine key charges carrying the stiffest potential penalties.

A lawyer for the Tennessee college student charged with hacking into the Alaska governor’s Yahoo e-mail account last year says his client couldn’t have violated Palin’s privacy because a judge had already declared her e-mails a matter of public record.

“He’s not suggesting that e-mail can’t be private,” says Mark Rasch, a former Justice Department cybercrime prosecutor. “He’s saying this particular e-mail was not private or personal because of who she is and because it wasn’t intimate communication. ”

Additionally, photos that 20-year-old David Kernell allegedly obtained of Palin and her family were not private since the Palins are “the subjects of untold numbers of photo-ops,” the lawyer argued last week, in one of a slew of motions and memorandums attacking the government’s four-count federal indictment against Kernell.
                Threat Level broke the story last September that a hacker had obtained unauthorized access to Palin’s Yahoo e-mail account — gov.palin@yahoo.com — by using publicly available information to reset her password to “popcorn.” The intruder then posted screenshots of Palin’s e-mail, as well as her new password, to a forum at 4chan.org under the handle “Rubico,” enabling other intruders to access the account. Bloggers quickly traced the name Rubico to an e-mail address that Kernell was known to use.

A surprise legal maneuver by the defense in the Sarah Palin hacking case could undermine key charges carrying the stiffest potential penalties. A lawyer for the Tennessee college student charged with hacking into the Alaska governor&#8217;s Yahoo e-mail account last year says his client couldn&#8217;t have violated Palin&#8217;s privacy because a judge had already declared [&#8230;]
                To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
                MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• standin
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2009

he's barely covering costs. moot runs ads on 4chan, but the site needs massive amounts of bandwidth, and corporations are leery of associating their products with 4chan's content. "It's been a pretty uphill battle getting advertisers to take us seriously and appreciate the community and the power it wields," he says.

But if 4chan's memes can cross into the mainstream, maybe moot can too. This year he spoke at conferences at Yale and MIT. He's even ready to reveal his real name: it's Christopher Poole, he tells me. He wouldn't be above cashing out for the right price, which is $580 million, which is what Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. paid for MySpace in 2005. "I try to work Murdoch into any interview I give," he says. "Rupert Murdoch? moot@4chan.org."
                  The Master Of Memes - TIME
                  MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• standin
                    Veteran
                    • Apr 2009

On Monday, AT&T acknowledged blocking portions of 4chan, but said it was to prevent a DoS attack that started from IP addresses connected to 4chan from spreading and disrupting service to AT&T customers.

"This action was in no way related to the content at img.4chan.org; our focus was on protecting our customers from malicious traffic," AT&T said in a statement.

AT&T removed the blocks Sunday night, after the threat no longer existed. "We will continue to monitor for denial-of-service activity and any malicious traffic to protect our customers," the company said.

AT&T Says DoS Attack Prompted Block Of 4chan Site -- Internet Security -- InformationWeek
                    MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2007

I think I covered this before..

The Truth About Facebook

Comment

• Golden AWe
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                        Ya wanna be relatively safe on social networking sites?

Don't post every aspect of your life there!!
                        Yes.

Kids, other family members, I prefer keeping them as much out of the Facebook as possible.

Facebook is mostly for killing time with silly and pointless cuntversations. Ok, spreading information to some point as well, and chatting, but not to be taken too seriously.

Except that I laid a horrendous revenge on a friend I didn't like. He cuntplained about a quote (from a grate finnish movie) I posted on my wall. He said he wished there was a "thumb down"-button. I replied "the crosses on the corner of the friend profiles are for that purpose" AND ERASED HIM!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
                        Originally posted by Cato
                        Golden, why are you FAT?
                        Originally posted by lesfunk
                        Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                        http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by FORD
                          So...... Tracy does anal?
                          Yes....that was my take on it as well.

Tracy takes it in the pooper!
                          Originally posted by perilouspete
                          fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                            Ya wanna be relatively safe on social networking sites?

Don't post every aspect of your life there!!
                            Exactly!!

I am amazed at how much personal information people willingly post on these places.
                            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                              Exactly!!

I am amazed at how much personal information people willingly post on these places.
                              It just goes to show that there's an attention whore lurking in virtually EVERYBODY.

And it also shows (chillingly, I might add) how many desperate, lonely people are out there looking for acceptance.

Even if it's "virtual" acceptance...
                              Originally posted by perilouspete
                              fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Igosplut
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman

And it also shows (chillingly, I might add) how many desperate, lonely people are out there looking for acceptance.
                                Or looking to hack someone up into little bits and then set fire to it....
                                Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

Working...