Member No
    Last Online
    08-20-2016 @ 06:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Yankees network's key creator was cheated

Commentary:
    I must be honest, most sports I find of interest are not covered by major networks. I am fond of marksmanship, Equestrian abilities and endurance related sports.
    However, I have an associate that has a duel interest of Sports Management and Criminal Justice. He brought to my interest the sheer amount of corruption in the Sports Entertainment Industry.
    In my opinion, for purposes of profit competition that almost any enhancement that does not kill should be allowed. You want to get those new fangled artificial legs for competition, go for it. In a way that is wrong, I know. Nevertheless, I see his points concerning enhancements; it is not the natural human state competing. However, most sports do not measure abilities that lead toward the natural world.
    That said:
    To give the players of sports an arena that is free of the pressures of corrupting or perverting their bodies, the overlords of the games themselves must be aware of the dishonors of corruption. To clean the rank and file of the games, the ones that administer the games must report when they encounter corruption and perverse practices within the overlords of the games

FILE - In this Feb. 26, 2009, file photo, New York Yankees principal owner George Steinbrenner talks on the phone in the owner's box during a spring training baseball game in Tampa, Fla. A former president of Madison Square Garden has sued Steinbrenner, saying Steinbrenner reneged on a promise to make him a major part of the Yankees-operated television network after he suggested creating it more than a decade ago.
    (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar,file)

By LARRY NEUMEISTER, Associated Press Writer Larry Neumeister, Associated Press Writer – Sat Aug 29, 12:09 am ET

NEW YORK – A former president of Madison Square Garden has sued New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, saying Steinbrenner reneged on a promise to make him a major part of the Yankees-operated television network after he suggested creating it more than a decade ago.

Robert Gutkowski accused the principal owner of the Yankees of breach of contract, fraud and unjust enrichment. He asked for at least $43 million in damages in a lawsuit filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan.

Gutkowski said in the lawsuit that he urged Steinbrenner in 1996 to create a Yankees television network and that his work helped lead to the creation of the Yankees Entertainment and Sports Network in March 2002, when it was valued at $845 million.

The network, known as YES, has more than tripled in value, said the lawsuit, which calls Gutkowski its "conceptual architect."

Steinbrenner spokesman Howard J. Rubenstein called the allegations "false and frivolous." He said Gutkowski had nothing to do with the initiation of the idea for a regional sports network and no role in the establishment and success of it.

"He was never promised that he would be the CEO of the network, nor was he promised any high-level position at the network," Rubenstein said in a statement.

Gutkowski was president of Madison Square Garden Corp., which owns and operates the MSG arena, from 1991 through 1994. He said he told Steinbrenner that the Yankees needed to create the network or they would be left with "very little leverage" in local television broadcast and cable rights negotiations.

Gutkowski was the architect of a $486 million, 12-year contract to telecast Yankees games from 1989 through 2000, according to the lawsuit. He was president of the MSG Network, a cable TV and radio network that broadcasts games of New York City teams including the New York Knicks and the New York Rangers, from 1985 through 1991.

According to the lawsuit, Gutkowski told Steinbrenner that cable executives had vowed to crush Steinbrenner when the rights to Yankees television broadcasts were renegotiated in 2000.

The lawsuit alleged that Steinbrenner promised Gutkowski that he would be responsible for building the Yankees' network if it were created and would be compensated for his efforts or have a role in the network as long as it existed.

The lawsuit said Gutkowski was hired only occasionally as an outside consultant.

Gutkowski, of Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y., is a former director of programming at ESPN and from 1995 through 1999 was a member of a sports and entertainment production, marketing and representation firm that he co-founded, the lawsuit said.

MSG is owned by Cablevision Systems Corp., based in Bethpage, N.Y.

Lawsuit: Yankees network's key creator was cheated - Yahoo! News
    Last edited by standin; 08-30-2009 at 08:30 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-20-2016 @ 06:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    What?! no comment?

Thread Information