God damn! Now I know why =VH= was kicking sabbath's ass during the 1978 tour.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BITEYOASS
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

God damn! Now I know why =VH= was kicking sabbath's ass during the 1978 tour.

Ozzy's voice is shot and Bill Ward is going all over the place. I'm not sure if all their gigs during the tour were like this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FsFazD-wBc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FsFazD-wBc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  • Mr. Vengeance
    Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Ozzy's voice has been shot since the mid 70's. Tony and Geezer sound okay though. Too bad because this is one Sabbath song I always loved and thought was underrated. Highly underrated album too.
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Have heard a couple of other Sabbath 1978 gigs where the whole band were playing well enough. Nothing spectacular, or displaying any particular conviction, but no huge flaws or mistakes.

I mean, by 1978, all of Sabbath were pretty fucked up in one way or another. I think Ozzy had quit and then come back once in 1978 before getting booted out of the band. The group were just tired of dealing with each other and were no longer hungry for success within the confines of the classic Sabbath lineup.

Van Halen in 1978 WERE fucking hungry. They'd done clubs and parties for several years, honed their act, had the first album released and were taking no prisoners.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• yah
        Head Fluffer
        • Jan 2006

You should have heard Plant's voice on some of the '75 Zeppelin boots....truly hoarse and sometimes ill with the flu.
        Ozzy sounds at least ten times better on this '78 live example!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
          Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

It's clear that the booze and drugs were killing Ozzy's voice already, but I'll give him credit for going out and giving it what he could. By the time he recorded Blizzard of Ozz, he was already using a lot of studio wizardry.

These days Ozzy's vocals are as computerized as Lady Gaga's.
          Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Anonymous
            Banned
            • May 2004

Hardly sounds like Ozzy at all. There's only a couple of seconds, after the solo, where you can actually tell it IS Ozzy... man, that was bad... I mean, he wasn't singing bad, it was his voice that was really, really bad.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

TONY IOMMI.

That is all.

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                By the time he recorded Blizzard of Ozz, he was already using a lot of studio wizardry.
                That's TOTAL BS!

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                  It's clear that the booze and drugs were killing Ozzy's voice already, but I'll give him credit for going out and giving it what he could. By the time he recorded Blizzard of Ozz, he was already using a lot of studio wizardry.

These days Ozzy's vocals are as computerized as Lady Gaga's.
                  But Ozzy could still sing well enough live when RR was playing with him...even when Jake was.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                    Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                    That's TOTAL BS!
                    No its not. Take a listen. You can hear it. Compare Blizzard and Diary to Never say Die or Technical.
                    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                      Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                      But Ozzy could still sing well enough live when RR was playing with him...even when Jake was.
                      He could, but he also had horrid times. I have an Ozzy EP from the RR days, simply called Live E.P., which has Mr. Crowley on it. A couple of years later, I'm watching video of Ozzy singing MrC with Jake on guitar at some Metal festival in Michigan, and it's the EXACT same track. Ozzy & the music. They're miming. Why do that unless Ozzy's voice was hurting that day?
                      Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Well, he sang decent enough when I saw him on the BATM and Ultimate Sin tours...unless he was miming at those shows ; )

Vocal-wise, the most adventurous stuff he did was probably with Sabbath. Ozzy has always been one of those singers that was more personality-oriented for me vs. being a great technical singer; even at his best, he doesn't have much range.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                          Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                          Well, he sang decent enough when I saw him on the BATM and Ultimate Sin tours...unless he was miming at those shows ; )

Vocal-wise, the most adventurous stuff he did was probably with Sabbath. Ozzy has always been one of those singers that was more personality-oriented for me vs. being a great technical singer; even at his best, he doesn't have much range.
                          I've got no problems with Ozzy's vocals up until maybe the OzzMosis album, when they just became so modulated they sounded like techno.
                          Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Antman
                            Commando
                            • Jan 2004

Don't do drugs kids.
                            When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2005

I saw them only a few days away from that show. Yeah, Ozzy's voice sucked shit.

If they had had a lame opening act, I perhaps would not have been quite so disappointed wif BS, but for them to try to follow a shit-hot band of fired up Atomic Punks was stupid.

No wonder they got their asses handed to them night after night.

Comment

Working...