• Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Obama: Legalize illegals

Obama: Legalize illegals to get them health care

September 18, 2009

President Obama said this week that his health care plan won't cover illegal immigrants, but argued that's all the more reason to legalize them and ensure they eventually do get coverage.

He also staked out a position that anyone in the country legally should be covered - a major break with the 1996 welfare reform bill, which limited most federal public assistance programs only to citizens and longtime immigrants.

"Even though I do not believe we can extend coverage to those who are here illegally, I also don't simply believe we can simply ignore the fact that our immigration system is broken," Mr. Obama said Wednesday evening in a speech to the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute. "That's why I strongly support making sure folks who are here legally have access to affordable, quality health insurance under this plan, just like everybody else.

Mr. Obama added, "If anything, this debate underscores the necessity of passing comprehensive immigration reform and resolving the issue of 12 million undocumented people living and working in this country once and for all."

Republicans said that amounts to an amnesty, calling it a backdoor effort to make sure current illegal immigrants get health care.

• Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

More utter strawman shit from the Mooney Times...

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Republicans said that amounts to an amnesty, calling it a backdoor effort to make sure current illegal immigrants get health care.
      For once, I agree with the Republican response on this. Offering a wide-ranging lateral amnesty appears remarkably short-sited, and only seems to have one outcome: Total fuckery most fowl of an already thorny and complicated immigration issue. This is as naive sounding and so out of touch with reality that it reads about as well suited to the situation as Nancy Reagan's equally dubious remark for people to "Just say no to drugs". As if wishing a situation resolved would make it so.

What an astounding form of leadership in play here. Let's take the one issue that is dividing this country into all sorts of odd factions (heath care) and piggy-back it onto another (immigration) that holds the same possibility.

I do question the timing of this story, however. Seeing how this article arrived on a Friday, I look forward to viewing this Sunday's political programs, to see how the White House attempts to explain what the President really meant.
      Last edited by chefcraig; 09-18-2009, 12:16 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Where does Obama come even close to suggesting that?

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

You solve the immigration problem by throwing the people that hire them into jail. And I mean hard ass break rocks all day, no television jail. Of course most of our politicians would end up in jail for having illegal alien housekeepers, nannies, and landscapers.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Blackflag
            Banned
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            More utter strawman shit from the Mooney Times...
            You are seriously off your game lately.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Here's my solution. Up the patrol on the borders and anyone caught hiring illegal aliens will be drafted for mine and bomb clearing duty in Afganistahn and Iraq.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                Obama: Legalize illegals to get them health care

September 18, 2009

President Obama said this week that his health care plan won't cover illegal immigrants, but argued that's all the more reason to legalize them and ensure they eventually do get coverage.

He also staked out a position that anyone in the country legally should be covered - a major break with the 1996 welfare reform bill, which limited most federal public assistance programs only to citizens and longtime immigrants.

"Even though I do not believe we can extend coverage to those who are here illegally, I also don't simply believe we can simply ignore the fact that our immigration system is broken," Mr. Obama said Wednesday evening in a speech to the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute. "That's why I strongly support making sure folks who are here legally have access to affordable, quality health insurance under this plan, just like everybody else.

Mr. Obama added, "If anything, this debate underscores the necessity of passing comprehensive immigration reform and resolving the issue of 12 million undocumented people living and working in this country once and for all."

Jesus replied with a story:

“A Mexican man was traveling on a trip from New Orleans to Baton Rouge, and he was attacked by bandits. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him up, and left him half dead beside the road. By chance a priest came along. But when he saw the man lying there, he crossed to the other side of the road and passed him by. A Temple assistant walked over and looked at him lying there, but he also passed by on the other side. Then a born again Christian came along, and when he saw the man, he felt compassion for him. But going over to him, born again noticed that he had been born in a different country so he kicked him in the face and said "Fucketh you illegal cunt" and left him to die.

“Now which of these three would you say was a neighbor to the man who was attacked by bandits?” Jesus asked. The man replied, “None of them” Then Jesus said, “Yes, now go and do the same because my followers can just talk shit about doing good on Sundays and the rest of the week do whatever the fuck they like, especially to those foreign cunts.”

Amen

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  Where does Obama come even close to suggesting that?
                  You got me there, as it is more inferred, a supposition (allegedly) made by the "Republicans" mentioned in the article. Oddly enough, for one reason or another I have yet to find any quotes by Republican statesmen in accordance with the "quote". In fact, the only reference I've found with regard to amnesty comes from an obscure blogger with the West Palm Beach Examiner.

Odder still, the slant of the article was also shown at another news source, which uses the same quotes to infer the same view:
                  CNSNews.com - Obama: Immigration Reform Will Allow Illegal Immigrants to Become Legal and Get Health Care Coverage

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Born again believers strive to be like Jesus everyday, which includes obeying the law...

Illegals are illegal, but I would help anyone in need. Especially if they were beaten and left naked on the side of the road...

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Illegals are illegal, but I would help anyone in need.
                      Awesome. The article you posted says that there are 12 million illegal immigrants in this country in need of health care insurance. I'm sure they will appreciate your help.
                      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                      Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Born again believers strive to be like Jesus everyday, which includes obeying the law...

Illegals are illegal, but I would help anyone in need. Especially if they were beaten and left naked on the side of the road...

Render Caeser what is Ceaser's and help the Samaritans.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

My idea of a failed government is when the government doesn't enforce it's own laws and the leaders are allowed to break it's laws and face no prosecution.

Comment

• Blackflag
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                            Awesome. The article you posted says that there are 12 million illegal immigrants in this country in need of health care insurance.
                            Yeah. And I need a new car, dammit. And some nachos. I'll PM you my address, Elvis.

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              My idea of a failed government is when the government doesn't enforce it's own laws and the leaders are allowed to break it's laws and face no prosecution.
                              Doesn't it therefore follow that in accordance with your statement, every government that has ever existed (to one extend or another) is thus a failure?

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...