X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • damngoodtimes
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

2010 College Football--Recruiting Season

so far, most of the general football discussion has been limited to the Ohio State thread. that's fine for me and pojo and hys, but maybe we can get a few others in the mix over here.

big games this week:

Oklahoma at Miami - no Sam Bradford. this is one of the last big non-conference games until some of the in-state games at the end of the year.

USC at Cal - big game in the Pac10 race early, loser is likely out with a second conf loss

LSU at Georgia - big early SEC game. LSU looks overrated at #4 after barely escaping Miss St last week. UGA needs to figure out how to stop anyone.
    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

We're thinking along the same wavelengths DGT...

In the past...we have run "College Football Gameday" threads...so I think I'll throw that headline up here on Saturday morning...

The Oklahoma game is interesting to me...because I'm not sure what the hell Miami really has, and am not convinced that VTech is as good as they looked against Miami. That's the problem with the teams past the top four...are they good...or not...

All those teams you listed...Okie, Miami, USC, Cal, LSU and Georgia all look great one week...and crap-ass the next...

Should be an interesting week...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• damngoodtimes
      Sniper
      • Jan 2004

I started tracking this, just as a curiousity, but I wanted to see this week-by-week.

tracking the BCS chase, who still has a shot at playing in the BCS title game?

some buddies and I were discussing this with different scenarios: what if Boise goes undefeated, what if UC does? how many losses will knock Florida out of the picture? so I came up with some general rules that seem to determine eligibility for the BCS Title Game:

1. From a non-BCS conference, must go undefeated. (That is likely to still leave you short of the title game, as has happened quite a few times so far. But I could see a remote scenario where a Boise goes undefeated and everyone else loses a game or two. For example, had Utah's 2008 season happened in 2007 instead, when LSU went with TWO losses, they might've gotten a shot.) In any case, if you're from one of these conferences and DON'T go unbeaten, you've clearly got no shot.

2. From most of the BCS conferences, can have no more than one loss. (We've had plenty of examples of one-loss teams from various conferences make it to the title game)

3. From the SEC, can have no more than two losses. (I don't necessarily buy into this notion that the SEC is head-and-shoulders above the rest, but the national voters seem to. Plus, history has shown - LSU - that this can happen)

---------

so, with those as the minimum requirements, we have (going into week 5) 51 teams still in the race for the BCS National Championship. of course, we could go through this list and eliminate various teams that we all know don't have a shot, but I'm not trying to get into that right now. I just want to see how many teams qualify week-over-week and see how the numbers drop as we go along.

here's the list:

Conf USA (1): Houston
      MAC (0)
      Sun Belt (0)
      WAC (1): Boise St.
      MWC (1): TCU
      Pac 10 (7): UCLA, USC, Oregon, Cal, Arizona, Arizona St, Stanford
      Big 12 (9): Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Baylor, Iowa St, Nebraska
      Big 10 (7): Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio St, Penn St, Minnesota, Indiana
      Big East (6): Cincinnati, S. Florida, UConn, Pitt, Rutgers, West Virginia
      ACC (6): Virginia Tech, Miami, Georgia Tech, UNC, NC State, Boston College
      Indep (1): Notre Dame
      SEC (12): Florida, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Miss St

a couple observations: for all the "mid-major" folks talking about how they are not getting the respect the big boys get, note that only 3 teams out of the five non-BCS conferences are still unbeaten. on the flip side, nobody from the ACC is still unbeaten

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Seriously DGT...that's fucking awesome...

Your criteria looks good...and that is an interesting look. I'm wondering if at some point we could add to your criteria...perhaps taking into account national exposure...

For example...if USC or UCLA have a loss...compared to say...Indiana or UConn...

or, of course, looking at a team's specific losses...say they lose to an unranked team in an upset...we could likely take them out of the scenario as well.

Of course...that criteria is more grey matter than anything else...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• damngoodtimes
          Sniper
          • Jan 2004

well, I want to track this just to see the size of the pool you're looking at.

then, all of those other things will enter into play as we get later into the season.

of course, as I said in the OSU thread, I think it's Big12 vs. SEC unless something unusual happens

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

What we ought to do...

is create our own rankings starting in mid-October...like the NCAA should do...

Comment

• damngoodtimes
              Sniper
              • Jan 2004

why not?

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

UT all the way ya rotten bastards !!!!
                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                  Veteran
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Panamark
                  UT all the way ya rotten bastards !!!!
                  Hey Panamark, i didn't know you were a University of Tennessee fan.
                  RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                  LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2007

Tony Pike is the fucking MAN, I tell ya!

UC has some good atheletes...most from the SW portion of the state. Good HS ball teams down here.
                    ...The Ohio State list of "not good enough"s . It's like the Island Of Misfit Toys. They usually give tOSU a run for their money when they hook up...at least til the 3rd quarter.

This coach has been off my radar because I'm a Buckeye fan first and foremost, but you have to like a guy who can win like he did last year with no less than 5 different starting QB's.

Now that Huggy Bear is gone and the BBall attention has shifted to Xavier, it's good they have a reason to burn the sofa on the front porch in Clifton.

Meh...they don't really roll like they do on High St., but they'll figure it out someday.

Anyway...you can count them out of any NC picture-but they will get a bowl.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                      Sniper
                      • Jan 2004

hys, I will still maintain that if a team from a BCS conference goes undefeated, they don't get passed up by a one-loss team.

that will get tested if a "non-name" team wins a BCS conference. I think an undefeated WVU gets in on name recognition, but it will be interesting if a UC, or worse, USF does it.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2004

to continue something we were discussing in the tOSU thread, I'm unsure how much love to give to the Boise's of the world. I just don't see how their competition stacks up.

but, don't get me wrong, I'm a playoff guy. I'd have an 8-team playoff with the 6 BCS conf champs, one at-large, and one guaranteed spot for the highest ranked champion of the other 5 conferences. I would keep the 4 big bowl games as the quarterfinals.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Michigan St. beating Mich-Suck 20-6....

Game not over...but I sure wish it was.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

I think that there should only be four BCS conferences, with the bottom two being decided every year based on some sort of strength of schedule format.

That would open up several positions up in...say...an 8 or 12 team playoff. Only four locks per year...

I don't know how feasible that would be...

I've also been a fan of mega-conferences...then the "Boise St.'s" of the world wouldn't be going undefeated year after year. Of course, the freakin conference presidents would never want to split shares up with twice as many schools.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

MICHIGAN ST. WINS!!!!

I hate 'em...but love the Wolver-Queens going down...

Forcier with a pick...

MSU with a TD in overtime...

Comment

Working...