X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Thrash back: Exodus – Pleasures of the Flesh (1987)

Sometimes making a classic album can be a real pain in the ass. Whilst no-one would dispute that ‘Bonded By Blood’ (1985) – Exodus’s debut record – is a bonafide Metal classic, in truth it is often the case that people look no further once they own it. That is a crying shame. Although Exodus have never repeated the unbridled fury of that release, their subsequent discography is packed full of molten metal which deserves to be heard more widely. ‘Pleasures of The Flesh’ – the band’s second record – is one of those records. It may be one of the most underrated metal albums ever recorded.

Here the band realised that they couldn’t repeat the unbridled fury of ‘Bonded….’ so they didn’t try. Instead, they looked for musical growth, something which all of the ‘Big 4’ and many of the 2nd wave of Bay Area Thrash bands (Testament, Death Angel, Forbidden) were injecting into the genre. Gone were the days when Thrash was about speed and speed only. Here the band explored soft/heavy dynamics, made greater use of twin guitar work and wrote what is easily their best collection of rabble-rousing choruses (the bane of many a Thrash band). New vocalist Steve Souza also brought breadth to the band – he may never have become as iconic as original vocalist Paul Baloff, but his raspy tone added a snarl and a subtle sense of melody which gave the band more breadth. Lyrically, they were able to begin to move away from tired ‘evil’ metal clichés into the realm of social commentary which always suited metal this gritty better.

None of this should suggest, of course, that ‘Pleasures….’ is not a monstrously heavy record. It certainly is. Opener ‘Deranged’ has the kind of crunch that kills and drips with the relentless violence you expect from the Kings of the Bay Area; and ‘Choose Your Weapon’ and ‘Faster Than You’ll Ever Live To Be’ are some of the finest Thrash tunes you’ve never heard. Here the guitar is a sonic chisel – the tone could flay skin. None of the power is lost as the band grows. ‘Seeds Of Hate’ is brutally heavy and melodic, whilst the seven-minute title-track shows more than a little love for Maiden’s melodies and sense of grandeur. Slowing down a little if anything added power. The riff to ‘Parasite’, for example, is a neck breaker which propels this underheralded metal anthem into the stratosphere. The menace is chilling: ‘run….but you can’t hide’. Bang your head, motherfucker! By the time you get to ‘Brain Dead’ – which is heavy enough to level cities – you’ll wonder why it wasn’t the ‘Big 5’.

Few bands are more powerful than Exodus. Even with a piss-poor ‘80s production, the raw, bloody power of these songs blasts from the speakers. ‘Pleasures…’ is the sound of the band progressing and growing. It takes balls of steel not to repeat the formula of a classic debut, but balls are something which Exodus has never lacked.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I saw two really good bands open for Korn last night.

Avatar - out of Sweden. They fucking kicked ass! Loud and heavy!

Otherwise - out of Las Vegas, NV. Not as heavy as Avatar, but a damn good band.

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

A pic of the Avatar singer.

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

One of the Avatar guitar players.

Comment

• Von Halen
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Otherwise.

Comment

• Von Halen
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Not a quality pic by any means, but a cool perspective. Fucking lighting was horrible.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Von Halen
                I saw two really good bands open for Korn last night.

Avatar - out of Sweden. They fucking kicked ass! Loud and heavy!

Otherwise - out of Las Vegas, NV. Not as heavy as Avatar, but a damn good band.
                my cousin matt was at that show

Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 10-04-2014, 04:58 PM. Reason: boobs
                Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Apr 2012

Hey binnie. What are your thoughts on the "stoner" (or whatever the label is for that type of music) genre? You may have reviewed some of these types of bands, but I didn't take a look. I've recently checked out Weedeater, Fu Manchu and Orange Goblin. They all have good stuff, but nothing that made me want to run out and buy CDs. Then I came across The Black Code by Wo Fat. Man, what a good album. I was so impressed I actually did buy the CD.

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
                    I don't have FB, so that link doesn't work for me. He was at the show in Flint last night?

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
                      Hey binnie. What are your thoughts on the "stoner" (or whatever the label is for that type of music) genre? You may have reviewed some of these types of bands, but I didn't take a look. I've recently checked out Weedeater, Fu Manchu and Orange Goblin. They all have good stuff, but nothing that made me want to run out and buy CDs. Then I came across The Black Code by Wo Fat. Man, what a good album. I was so impressed I actually did buy the CD.
                      I love stoner rock (if you look at the index on page 25 you'll see I've reviewed some of those bands). Kyuss are the place to start ('Blues For The Red Sun' is THE stoner record) with Monster Magnet a close second, imo (check out 'Spine Of God', 'Superjudge' or, for a more overtly rocky vibe, 'Powertrip'). I love Orange Goblin, although they're more metal than stoner, and Fu Manchu, too - 'We Must Obey' and 'King Of The Road' by the latter are well worth you're time.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

I've heard good things about Avatar, but I've yet to check 'em out.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Von Halen
                          I don't have FB, so that link doesn't work for me. He was at the show in Flint last night?
                          si
                          Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2007

10635922_10202081299347912_9021665229676645846_n.jpg

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Thrash Back: Testament – The Formation of Damnation (2008)

The album that put Testament back on the map is also the best album they have ever made. And in a back catalogue as illustriuous as their’s, that is really saying something. Release in the same year as Metallica’s ‘Death Magnetic’ and Megadeth’s ‘Endgame’ here was a record which crushed both – faster, heavier and far, far more focussed, Testament here put one over of two of the ‘Big 4’ by releasing a record with all the hallmarks of classic Thrash but injected into a style a production which was highly relevant in the 21st century. Put simply, there is no filler and everything oozes class: Eric Peterson produced his best set of songs; Paul Bostaph show-cased his chops as one of metal’s very best drummers, acting as hurricane up the band’s ass; Chuck Billy’s hooks – always Testament’s secret weapon, and the thing that elevated them from the rest of the Thrash pack – were sharper than they’d ever been; and the returing Alex Skolnick shredded like he had 25 fingers on each hand. ‘Formation….’ Might very well be the best Thrash album released since the end of genre’s heyday.

Opening instrumental ‘For The Glory Of’ bursts into ‘More Than Meets The Eye’ in a classic ‘Hellion/Electric Eye’ style. It showcases some of the heaviest music this reviewer has ever heard – Thrash with the sophistication and muscularity of a 21st century production led to something that was, frankly, GIGANTIC. ‘The Evil Has Landed’ is awash with the drama, darkness and twisted power perfectly suited to its subject-matter: the 9/11 attacks. That this song feels much more epic than its 5 minute length is a testament (geddit?) to the quality of the band’s song-writing dynamics. The title-track is pure Thrash of the order that will make your neck ache and your throat hoarse – it feels like something from ‘New Order’ on steroids. ‘The Persecuted Won’t Forget’ matches it with speeds, intensity and venomosity of riff.

But what really stands out about ‘Formation…’ is the variety. ‘Dangers of The Faithless’ showcases Testament’s more melodic side, and Chuck Billy serves up a killer chorus straight from the blood red skies. ‘Killing Season’ has the crunch and hulking weight of mid-paced Metallica, whilst ‘Leave Me Forever’ is more free-form and progressive, switching from psychedelia to something pounding – simultaneously eerie and epically heavy, it also features the most bile-ridden of Chuck Billy’s vocal performances. Chilling.

Plenty of bands make Thrash records that are heavy; some even manage to capture to hypnotically captivating violence of the genre’s ‘80s heyday. What Testament achieved here, however, was more than that. ‘Formation…’ was a Thrash record without even the faintest whiff of throwback about it, a record which showed that this music could be highly relevant in a new century; and, far, far more importantly, it was just heavy, it was often emotive. And when a metal band achieves that, the result are as memorable as they are affecting.
                              Last edited by binnie; 10-11-2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

Thrash Back: Exhorder - The Law (1992)

Originally posted by binnie
                                From the vaults: Exhorder - The Law (1992)

Popular wisdom suggests that the first wave of a musical genre is generally substantially better than those that follow. Exhorder offer one of history's exceptions. This 3rd wave thrash band released two classic - and I mean CLASSIC - albums: 'Slaughter In The Vatican' and 'The Law'. They stand up there with the likes of Testament, Death Angel, Exodus or Forbidden. What Exhorder added was a burst of new ideas, and a variety on the classic sound. The guitar sound here is rich and muscular, with plenty of bottom end to beef-up the sound; and Kyle Thomas's groove-ridden, soulful vocals have since been hugely influential - you can tell Phil Anselmo was listening.

What Exhorder realized is that speed doesn't necessarily equal power. Mixing extremes of tempos (death-defyingly fast with skull-numbingly slow) added dexterity and crunch to the songs and is a pattern which so many bands have emulated in subsequent years (most noticeably Machine Head, who have perfected it). With so much groove, power and crunch, comparrisons with Pantera are obvious. Exhorder certainly didn't have the songs to punch with that band; nor did they have the guitar pyrotechnics; but - as the likes of '(Cadence of) The Dirge' demonstrated - they did have the power. The heaviness here is oppressive. Opener 'Soul Searching' is bestial and savage, and could trade blows with anything any heavy band have put out in the last 20 years; and the leaden cover of Sabbath's 'Into The Void' is the sound of heavy being re-defined. In 1992 this was the sound of a game being upped. Metallica had taken metal into the mainstream; Megadeth were intent on making it more technical; and Anthrax were evolving away from their thrash roots. With Exodus, Forbidden, Death Angel and Possessed all having produced their best work, the unbriddled fury which had characterized thrash metal was in danger of passing. Exhorder played a significant role in keeping metal uncomplicated and powerful, and as a watershed album this remains pivotal.

Perhaps 'The Law' was not as complete a record as 'Slaughter....' In truth, their are too many ideas - both musically and lyrically - in some of these songs, a fact which prevents them gelling as compositions. But when it all comes together, like on the title cut or 'Unforgiven', it is quite special. Meat and potatoes metal subject matter such as anti-religion and corrupt society are considered in the lyrics, but they sit alongside other subjects - namely morality and mortality - which show a band striving to push boundaries. Sometimes Thomas reaches for profound and grabs purple, but the ambition is admirable. Kyle Thomas might be metal's forgotten man. Alongside Exhorder, he handled vocals in another chronically underrated band: Floodgate. Both deserve your attention.

Comment

Working...