• May 2006

It'll be a good one!
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Fear Factory – The Industrialist

I’ve said it before but it merits being said again: Fear Factory are easily one of the most important – and innovative – metal bands of the past 20 years. You can hear their influence in modern metal as readily as that of Slayer, Pantera or even Metallica. On their second album since ‘re-forming’ they give us the full sonic palette which made them so invigorating in the ‘90s. Opening with 90 seconds or an orchestral layering of industrial synths before Dino Cazerras razor riffage kicks in, the title track is an easy addition to FF’s already bulging body of classic material – huge in scope, ambitious but equally instantaneous and infectious, it perfectly encapsulates their sonic brew of extreme metal without sounding clichéd or tiresome. Whilst 2010’s ‘Mechanize’ was a relentlessly brilliant record, in truth it only showcased the heavy side of FF. ‘The Indulstrialist’ explores the cinematic angle of the band’s sound by delving into the industrial elements more readily.

You know the score by now. Lyrics which depict a future in which machines take over the planet serve as an allegory for contemporary political critique, an assault of mechanical rhythms created by a synergy of double bass drum patterns and staccato riffage, and Burton C Bell’s ability to switch from roar to tortured angel on the spin of a dime. 20+ years in it should be tiresome, but what sets FF aside are the songs. Alongside the title track, ‘Dissemble: Religion is Flawed Because Man Is Flawed’ could have found a place on any of their classic records, whilst slabs of brutality like ‘Virus of Faith’ and ‘Difference Engine’ lay down the gauntlet to all other heavy bands. Injecting elements of variety via the punkier groove of ‘Recharger’ and the industrial glory of ‘God Eater’ only serves to strengthen the whole.

In truth, this is not really a band proper – it’s just Dino and Burton + drum machine. For a band which has been defined in many respects by the brilliance of its drummers – whether Gene Hoglan or Raymond Herrera – this should leave an unbreachable chasm. But in a band whose aesthetic speaks of a dystopian future run by machines, the rigidity, the lack of humanity, works. At this stage of their careers, FF straddle a field well ploughed rather than forging into territories new – but it is a testament to how innovative they were that 20 years in they can still surprise us and that no-one has managed to top the masters. ‘The Industrialist’ is easily one of the best metal releases of 2012 thus far.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
        ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by binnie
        Nah, it's all for the love of the music. I only review what I own. I think there are around 300 in here so far, which is about 1/5 of my CD collection....
        i would very much like to see your CD collection
        I really love you baby, I love what you've got
        Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
          binnie, i hope someone pays you for these great reviews. at worst, they owe you a high distinction.
          Yeah I couldn't agree more. I'm sure a ton of rock fans would want to read your reviews Bin.
          Either professionally or on some blog.

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Well, thank-you very much!

Not sure they're anywhere up to 'professional' standards - personally I just do it because I like it and I'd like (in some small part) to encourage others to listen to some of this stuff. As for blogging, it seems the way to make a name for yourself there is simply to rip into albums, which I'm not prepared to do - what''s the point in being mean? Y'know?

But I appreciate the nice comments and I'll keep the reviews coming (going record shopping next week - it's a day long event!)

Comment

• Marko Cain
              Roth Army Recruit
              • Jun 2012

Anybody do any Death Metal reviews here yet? Grindcore? Metalcore? Deathcore?

Comment

• ashstralia
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Feb 2004

dude, read. search. retard.

Comment

• Marko Cain
                  Roth Army Recruit
                  • Jun 2012

Dude. Fuck. You. Fucktard.

Comment

• ashstralia
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Feb 2004

hehe, i've been told.

Comment

• Marko Cain
                      Roth Army Recruit
                      • Jun 2012

Hahaa! see! All good in fun round here. Cheers!

Comment

• ashstralia
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Feb 2004

wanker.

Comment

• Marko Cain
                          Roth Army Recruit
                          • Jun 2012

chip chip cheerios OLD BOY

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                            ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by Marko Cain
                            Hello Marko.I am partial to a bit of death metal from time to time.Who you digging?.As far as i know there are no death metal reviews in here.Why not get get the ball rolling yourself
                            I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                            Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

From the vaults: Heathen – Breaking The Silence (1987)

Heathen’s ‘Breaking The Silence’ easily demands a place on a list of ‘Greatest Metal Debut Records’. Part of the second or third wave of Bay Area Thrash (depending on your view), Heathen injected some progressive and more technical elements into the mould several years before Megadeth perfected in on ‘Rust In Peace’ and Annihilator ran it into the stratosphere. It’s heavy, it’s (very) fast, and it’ll rip your head off if you play it at maximum volume. Indeed opener ‘Death By Hanging’ is one of the truly great thrash songs and displays just how adept the guitar partnership of Lee Altus and Doug Piery was – a sort of Tipton/Downing of thrash, laying down some epic riffage and histrionic soloing which was far ahead of their peers.

Yet whilst perhaps making leaps musically, lyrically it was a different story. We have here songs about goblins, being buried alive, and nuclear warfare, all fairly standard fodder for ‘80s metal. Were it not for vocalist Dave Godfrey’s considerable talents – he sounds somewhere between Joey Belladona and Rob Halford – this might be more of a problem, but the juxtaposition with the musical ambition is noticeable, especially when combined with the typical thrash band problem of writing overlong choruses (hello, Exodus). But you can forgive the foibles in the face of the sheer bloody power of this record, a power enhanced by Ronnie Monstrose’s ropey production, which leaves the drums buried but adds to the sense of a band of hedonists coming to take your soul. The Maiden-esque title track is a monster of a song with a crusher of a chorus riff, whilst on ‘Pray For Death’ Heathen demonstrated an ability to trade punches (or rather open palm E riffs) with any of the Bay Area brats. It’s juggernaut crushing, rampaging stuff. You can even forgive them the cover of Sweet’s ‘Set Me Free’, which is the sonic equivalent of catching your dad in stockings and suspenders.

Heathen are an unheralded metal band, and ‘Breaking The Silence’ deserves to be celebrated in a manner similar to Testament’s early work, or that of Annihilator. To these ears, however, Heathen have gotten better as time has progressed – 2009s ‘The Evolution of Chaos’ was a career high, a record that continued the weld crushing heaviness to epic ambitions in a way which was hinted at here.

Bang the head that will not bang!!!

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by Marko Cain
                                There is a LOT of thrash metal reviewed here, and other brands of heavier. metal.

Off the top of my head, I remember reviewing Arch Enemy, Hate Eternal, Katatonia, Chthonic, Suicide Silence, At The Gates......search through.

There will be an Obiturary review coming in the near future - now I know someone will read Death Metal reviews I'll do some. If you have any request, I'm more than happy to oblige (providing I own the album in question.....)

Comment

Working...