X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Halestrom – The Strange Case Of (2012)

Strange indeed. How can such a devastating live band – easily one of the best out-and-out rock ‘n’ roll live bands this reviewer has seen in a decade – suck such an unholy amount of dick on record? You sense that this – album number two for Halestrom – was conceived with world-domination in mind. There is a pervasive whiff spreadsheets, focus groups and demographics throughout, and a frankly Disneyfied approach to production which spruces up and buffs what is at heart a dirty rock ‘n’ roll band into a shiny-teeth-and-shinier-shoes product for middle America. Add in the cluster of outside writers (I stopped counting at 14) and you have to ask whether this is a band at all, or just a vehicle to sell units to Wallmart.

There are certainly plenty of radio-friendly unit shifters, albeit spiced with just enough contrived baddassery for this to be filed under ‘(not really) edgy’: ‘Mz Hyde’ is the sort of ‘hard rock’ that makes Evanescence look abrasive – essentially a Katy Perry song with the guitars turned up in the mix, it is an awful display in cynical girl power trading on the gender of front-woman Lzy Hale (I’m sure this is meant to be ‘Lizzy’, but surely it is actually ‘ulzy’?). And the pretense of edge continues – ‘Freak Like Me’ is the way Taylor Swift would sound in punk get-up; and ‘I Miss The Misery’ has a feint twang of the ‘rock’ that comes out of Nashville (i.e. not very rock at all). By the time you get to ‘Rock Show’ you’ll be laughing. And ‘You Call Me A Bitch Like It’s A Bad Thing’ is not just an awful (and rather sexist) idea, it is appalling executed – even the 14 year old girls this is meant to empower will surely see through it in 10 seconds flat? At least Courtney Love meant it…….

And then there’s the ballads. Even Barry Manilow would baulk at these for being too saccharine. ‘Break In’ and ‘Beautiful With You’ are woeful, smaltzy tofu-filled balls of cheese; whilst ‘In Your Room’ was probably passed over by the Partridge Family for being too twee. So why write all of this? Well, the thing is you actually sense that beneath the stylists, and beneath the production, and beneath the ‘hit factory’ songwriting team, Halestrom are a genuinely good rock ‘n’ roll band. Lzy has a sensational voice. Truly, jaw-droppingly brilliant. And when she does wail – as on opener (and best thing here) ‘Love Bites (And So Do I)’ it pierces you, owns you, and takes you with it. And given their live performances, the covers they’ve done (from the obvious [AC/DC] to the not so obvious [Skid Row]) you just know that if they focused on kicking ass rather than selling records they could deliver something very satisfying indeed. As it stands, they’ve made a conundrum. Who is ‘The Strange Case Of’ for? Surely too risque for Wallmart moms and clean-cut America, it is far from dirty enough for the rock ‘n’ roll barflies who should be Halestrom’s natural audience.

So this is not a review, but a plea to Halestrom: play to your strengths. Ditch Howard Benson (actually, shoot him); ditch the outside writers; stop restraining your playing and do it like you do live – solos, caveman drum fills, spit, piss, vinegar and a genuine enthusiasm for the music we all love. When you do that, I’m in. Until then, pass the Meshuggah record………………I’ve gotta get this shit out of my ears.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
      ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

I like this review,It made me smile.I fucking hate Halestorm
      I really love you baby, I love what you've got
      Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I'm writing this without having gone past your first paragraph, Bin. To me, this band is just as corporate as Evanesance. Takes a lot more than a cute chick in a VH t-shirt singing all ballsy-like to earn my $12.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Amen to that...

Halestrom is garbage...

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
            I like this review,It made me smile.I fucking hate Halestorm
            I normally don't bash bands for a couple of reason: 1) if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all; 2) what have I ever done; 3) it's actually very easy to do. But in some cases, there are valid points to be made - Halestorm could be a cracking band. It seems that they have chosen not to be.

Comment

• Coyote
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Personally, I kinda hope Halestorm can get their shit together on the third album. (If they get a shot at that...)
              Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• ToraToraTora
                Head Fluffer
                • Aug 2010

Airbourne. Black Dog Barking.

Shit title. Disappointing Album. Great Live tho.

Short sweet and straight to the point.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by binnie
                  I normally don't bash bands for a couple of reason: 1) if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all; 2) what have I ever done; 3) it's actually very easy to do. But in some cases, there are valid points to be made - Halestorm could be a cracking band. It seems that they have chosen not to be.
                  I apply rule number 1 to people, not rock bands. Judging a band harshly is part of the critiquing business. Hold no punches!

This comes from a guy who had a scathing review written about him once. I don't think I deserved it, but the guy was entitled to express his view however he saw fit.

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS

Halestrom is garbage...
                    I take that back...

I watched a few current live clips and they're actually pretty damn good...

Way better than I thought...

They still suck though...

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by ToraToraTora
                      Airbourne. Black Dog Barking.

Shit title. Disappointing Album. Great Live tho.

Short sweet and straight to the point.
                      I reviewed 'Black Dog Barking' on the previous page. I don't think our opinions are that far apart - I'd say it's better than the previous album though.

Comment

• ODShowtime
                        ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                        Cheers, man.

I try to avoid song-by-song reviews because I always feel they're overlong and read like a list. I just try to give a sense of (how I hear) the album. If I'm honest, I've always struggled with QOTSA - I've always respected them, but they don't always excite me. But the new one is the best they've sounded for years.
                        Understood. I hated the new album at first, then again the first time I spun it was when the Penguins were getting slaughtered in the NHL ECF (hockey playoffs) so that didn't help. It has grown on me but there are a few shitty songs. That vampire song is hot garbage and the first track is too minimalist for me.

Keep it up Binnie you are really good at this. And thanks for the Halestorm below to remind me how much life sucks.
                        gnaw on it

Comment

• ODShowtime
                          ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

I heard that Halestorm had signed a development deal with Atlantic back in the day. I think that means they are pretty much beholden to whoever is in charge. They are no Led Zeppelin in terms of their control of their music.

I guess that's what it takes to be a new rock band on a big label these days. It sucks. Like any of these shitbags in the record companies has a fucking' clue about rock music.
                          gnaw on it

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Stone Sour – House Of Gold & Bones pt.2 (2013)

There are many things which are interesting about Stone Sour. Firstly, they are a ‘side-project’ (vocalist Corey Taylor and guitarist Jim Root have day jobs in Slipknot) which is actually worth your time – indeed, it is clear that on this, album number 5, their arena rock pretensions are nearing fruition. Secondly, part two of their concept album series comes in a very cool package – the digipack folds out into an epically cool ‘house’ of the album’s title. Thirdly, Skid Row’s Rachel Bolan plays bass throughout here. Oh, and fourthly they are one of the few metal bands in the world today who can do crushing heaviness and Foo Fighters-like soaring melodies. This – like all of their albums – is metal that you can sing. It is also classic songwriting – far, far more conventional than Slipknot, but rarely less exciting (albeit in a different manner). There could hardly be a testament to Corey Taylor’s talents.

The concept here revolves around a character called The Human, who awakens in a mysterious world, meets a serious of characters who guide him towards the Red City, where his fate is revealed. But you don’t really need to follow that to enjoy the music. Continuing the trend begun with album number 3 (‘Audio Secrecy’ [2010]) Stone Sour here branch further into the more melodic side of metal – much here could be heard on FM radio, and if we’re honest the ingredients here are not really any different from Nickleback (although each one is a) far, far stronger; and b) delivered with a genuine emotional depth). Where ‘Audio Secrecy’ was something of a damp squib, here the band’s crackling hard rock power is complemented (rather than smoothered) by the atmospherics and Taylor’s vocal intensity. Opener ‘Red City’ builds very slowly and then just CRUSHES as it opens up; ‘Black John’ is perfect arena rock that 10,000 bodies could bounce up and down to in unison; whilst ‘Sadist’ has an epic quality about it, despite being a fairly conventional soft/heavy rock song at its heart. On ‘Peckinpah’ drummer Ray Mayorga shows off his chops; whilst on ‘The Conflgaration’ – a piano-led ballad of dazzling beauty – Taylor lets his pipes rip to fine effect: rarely has a voice which is so familiar being able to surprise so readily. The ‘House….pt. 2’ has enough of the metallic crunch of the first two records to really get its claws in you.

It is very, very easy to fall in love with this band. They’ve always been more than a mere ‘project’ – but 5 albums in, few would dispute that they have become something very worthwhile in their own right rather than a mere stopgap between Slipknot records. It is quite remarkable that a band as innovative and combative as Slipknot has spawned one as conventional as Stone Sour – more remarkable still that the latter can prove time and again that ‘conventional’ is not always synonymous with ‘boring’. This is an intense affair – make no bones about it.

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by ODShowtime
                              I heard that Halestorm had signed a development deal with Atlantic back in the day. I think that means they are pretty much beholden to whoever is in charge. They are no Led Zeppelin in terms of their control of their music.

I guess that's what it takes to be a new rock band on a big label these days. It sucks. Like any of these shitbags in the record companies has a fucking' clue about rock music.
                              I don't buy into that 'no choice' argument. There are a gazzillion bad ass hard rock bands in 2013. None of them are getting air play, but they exist nonetheless. Halestorm chose to compromise because they wanted to play the major label game.

Check out the band Royal Thunder (I reviewed them in the last couple of pages somewhere....................)

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by ODShowtime

That's interesting. I wonder if VH was under similar label control early on regarding their music. Didn't they pretty much get chicken winged into turning Down In Flames into a cover of You're No Good? I guess in many respects, all acts have to bend to the hand that feeds.

Comment

Working...