X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

From the vaults: AC/DC – Flick of the Switch (1983)

Following 5 years of colossal success and monstrous, almost circus-like tours, AC/DC decided to go back-to-bluesy-basics with ‘Flick…’. A decidedly understated white and grey cover was matched by a less hooky, chunkier sound. By their standards, the album bombed, and subsequent years have seen it maligned by ‘DC fans and largely forgotten by hard rock history. In one sense, this is a little unfair. ‘Flick…’ is certainly a more consistent and ballsy record than its predecessor, 1981’s ‘For Those About To Rock….’, and it’s rawer, grittier sound has aged far better than the cumbersome ‘Fly On The Wall’ and ‘Blow Up Your Video’, which both suffered from being drenched in production.

One consequence of this back-to-the-roots approach was the ejection of Mutt Lange, the uber-producer who had helped ‘DC craft their biggest-selling records – ‘Highway To Hell’ and ‘Back In Black’ – cleaning up their sound and forcing them to structure their songs around hooks rather than histrionics. In one sense this pays dividends. ‘Flick…’ sees the band at full power for much of the time, and rattles out of the speakers with a richer guitar roar and crunchier riffs, which makes the cheeky boogie of the title track, the pure abandon of ‘Rising Power’, and the chunky blues of ‘This House Is One Fire’ irresistible. And yet, the absence of Mutt left significant holes. ‘DC have never been a band to over-do dynamics and arrangements, but the monotony of having so many tunes at mid-pace, added to the absence of anything resembling a passable hook in ‘Bedlam In Belgium’, ‘Brain Shake’ and ‘Landslide’ resulted in a record which felt much longer than its 37 minutes. Before ‘Highway….’ AC/DC were a rampant and spontaneous blues-rock powerhouse who were at their best when capturing songs in the moment and jamming them out: Lange trained that out of them in favour of more conventional pop-rock structures, and when he was gone they had the template but little dynamism. Witness ‘Deep In the Hole’ – rarely has a double-entendre felt so tired.

But looking for sophistication in AC/DC is like searching for wisdom from the Kardashians – it ain’t there. So it’s dangerous to over-analyse them, and when the oily groove of ‘Badlands’ gets ya, or the gargantuan power of ‘Nervous Shakedown’ smacks ya, and the brainless hard rock of ‘Guns For Hire’ finishes ya off, you’ll realize that the world is a better place once you flick the switch.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

From the vaults: Bullets & Octane – In the Mouth of the Young (2006)

With an album title lampooning pomp-rock poseurs Winger, this record was surely intended as a culling of emaciated rock ‘n’ roll. The cover speaks volumes. A biker chick – nearly nekkid, naturally – breast-feeding an unwanted baby! This is rock ‘n’ roll straight with no chaser: loud, rude, dirty and mean! It’s glorious for being so unapologetically obnoxious, so unrepentantly self-serving, so un-relentingly bad-ass. Opener ‘Going Blind’ has a sweaty riff and the biggest chorus you’ve ever heard; ‘My Disease’ is built around a Slash-esque serpentine riff and is the sort of nasty blues-rock born-out of a desperate life; and ‘Save Me Sorrow’ is a punk-rock prayer with a hook that washes over you and leaves you drenched in sleaze. It’s not all bravura, however. ‘Last Mistake’ feels like Cheap Trick on meth, and ‘Bathroom Floor’ is a sort of sombre ska in which a drum tattoo plays eerily behind a floating guitar-line.

These songs are perfect, but in a fucked-up way. You can consequently forgive them ‘I Ain’t Your Saviour’ (written on an etch-a-sketh, I presume), ‘Cancer California’ (in which we head to cliché-ville) and the pure misogyny of ‘Caving In’ – I don’t doubt the sincerity of wanting to kill your nagging girlfriend, but there’s a fine line between bad-ass and asshole. For the most part, however, Bullets & Octane delivered a warts ‘n’ all classic here: simple songs built on simple parts and played with balls so big they can only be transported in wheelbarrows.

Comment

• rocking ron
        Head Fluffer
        • Sep 2010

I still think AC/DC's 'Flick of the Switch' is their 2nd best album , ofcourse they will never make a killer one like 'Back in Black' again!!!

And I must say that they did a great job with their last one; "Black Ice" like you mentioned before !!

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

I'm not too sure I said that they did a 'great job' with Black Ice - it was typically patchy, but we always forgive AC/DC don't we?

The best AC/DC record, in my opinion, is 'Powerage'. Then 'Let There Be Rock', 'Back In Black' and 'Highway To Hell'.

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

From the vaults: Big Linda – I Loved You (2008)

This debut – and only – record from this UK bunch of blues-rockers offered the rarest of things in the 21st century: a band who injected their own spin onto the hard rock genre, rather than just re-hashing tired seventiesisms. Sure, you can tick the influences off as you go through the record (Bad Company, Steve Winwood, Zeppelin, The Band, Blind Faith) but Big Linda have mixed those ingredients into their own cocktail rather than just offering a slab of plagiarism. And it’s quite a synthesis – groove-laden, blues and jazz infused ‘70s rock. Why do so many bands fail to put in the hard yards when they’re onto a good thing?

This is probably what Wolfmother wanted to sound like. Revolving around a delicate balance of bass and electric guitars, the songs are propelled forward by some luscious drum work, allowing them to writhe and contort like the best prog-rock bands. That’s quite a lot to cram into 4 minutes, but the soulfull vocals and seriously catchy vocal lines package all the complexity up nicely. ‘Golden Girl’ demands radio play, and sounds like The Hives humping The Pretty Things; ‘Another Way’ is Wishbone Ash or Uriah Heap on sombre, brooding form; and ‘Idelu’, with its fragile funky riff and ballsy vocals, is the sound Audioslave reached for and missed. Not retro for the sake of it, there is nothing affected about this sound, and the band carries plenty of emotional weight. ‘Jenny Don’t’ is a case in point. Transcending any of their influences, its greasy, slippery riff, muscular rhythms and quick-step vocal show a band with a real sense of who they are – that’s a rare thing for a debut.

‘I Loved You’ is a giant of an album which fizzles and crackles with bittersweet blues and joi de vivre. If you can persist through the rather restrained production – which hems the band in a bit – you’ll be on to a real treat.

Comment

• rocking ron
              Head Fluffer
              • Sep 2010

[SIZE="5"]OUTLOUD - Love Catastrophe

'Love Catastrophe' is the 2nd strike of the Greece(w/2 members of FIREWIND)/American melodic rockband OUTLOUD.

This is an even stronger follow up to their debut ;"We'll Rock you to Hell and back Again" ( 2009 ) , very good vocals, great melodies and flashy guitarwork !!

The sound is of these days and a lot of 80's influence , good production ( produced and engineerd by Bob Katsionius ) and mixed and mastered by Tommy Hansen ( TNT , Jorn ,

Helloween and Pretty Maids ).

Everytime I listen to this album it sounds very familiar, but I can't name a particular band.

It's a mixture of bands like Shakra , Fair Warning , Gotthard , but also Treat at their peak ( Dreamhunter 1988 ), Tygers of Pan Tang during their commercial period ( '82-'85 )

and even Dutch 'happy'metal band Zinatra end 80's !!!

So we can say 'OUTLOUD' has it's own sound ( almost ) and I'm already curious to their 3rd album and hopefully they will continue making good music and getting better to be one of

the best melodic rockbands out there !!!

Best songs : FALLING RAIN ; ISOLATION GAME ; UNDERGROUND ; SOMEDAY

OUTLOUD is : Chandler Mogel - Vocals
              Bob Katsionis - Lead Guitar & Key
              Sverd T Soth - Bass
              Tony Kash - Guitars
              Mark Cross - Drums

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

From the vaults: W.A.S.P – The Headless Children (1988)

Some bands earn the status of Legend because of their impact on music; others because of their dogged longevity. W.A.S.P definitely fall into the latter category - the list of ‘great’ Blackie Lawless songs is a blank one, and in truth W.A.S.P were very much of their time rather than timeless. But that’s not to say they’re best forgotten, like so many ‘80s metal bands. Their evil-vaudeville brand of schlock-rock was a whole lot of fun in the same way that comic books are a whole lot of fun – if not over-thought and appreciated as a cheap thrill, W.A.S.P are well worth your time.

‘The Headless Children’ was their fourth album and marked the end of their ‘glory’ period, before a five-year lay-off ensued. Putting aside the Sunset-sleaze which had typified their earlier records, Lawless was aiming for something altogether more grandiose and operatic, lavishing songs in keyboards, organs and brass. The cover art – featuring a gigantic skull devouring the damned – said it all: this was a darker record, the sort of horror which typified much of the metal bands of the time. In truth, their abilities couldn’t match their ambitions. Opener ‘The Heretic (The Lost Child)’ clocks in at a colossal seven minutes and – like many of the songs here – is structured around multiple parts and time-changes. Epic, certainly. And melodramatic to boot. But it feels contrived, and long for the sake of it. The title-track , resplendent with horror movie voices, is equally cumbersome in its composition – W.A.S.P were clearly aiming for a sound closer to Maiden than Motley.

But there’s plenty to enjoy here. Chris Holmes – despite being ingloriously pissed most of the time – was on fire here, squealing out solos whilch positively belt out of the speakers; and Blackie’s raspy baritone sat well on the darker vibe of this record. Piledriver songs like ‘Maneater’ and ‘Thunderhead’ may have demonstrated that W.A.S.P couldn’t have written a chorus if their cod-pieces depended on it, but they also provided plenty of cheap ‘n’ nasty hard rock thrills. Indeed, whilst this record may have been short on the anthems so prevalent on their earlier records, it was packed with plenty of bite.
                23 years later, how do we approach it? A noble failure? Perhaps. A curious piece of nostalgia? Certainly. Or maybe, just maybe, as an epitome of a time when metal didn’t take itself too seriously.

Comment

• rocking ron
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Sep 2010

SAXON = Re-Release ( Remastered Edition & Bonus Tracks )

Saxon's 3rd album is by most fans their highlight and absolute best one ever with unforgettable songs like "HEAVY METAL THUNDER,/,STRONG ARM OF THE LAW,/,20.000FT,/,DALLAS 1 PM wich they still do on stage!!!! I agree SAotL is their best one , but this couldn't have been happen without their ground-breaking 2nd album
                  'Wheels of Steel' ( this time I don't forget Binnie, haha) , also from 1980 !!
                  Can you imagine ??, 2 lp's/cd's in 1 year, I mean that's something else than let your fans wait 4 about 27!? years.

I've bought the LP in 1980 and the CD in 199? and now this remastered one , reason why? no not 'cause this one is better sounding but because of the 8 bonus tracks this disc
                  contains. ( and it was only a few $ )
                  First 4 bonus tracks are 20.000FT, Dallas 1 PM, The eagle has landed and 747(Strangers in the night) from Studio B 15, BBC Sessions 25th April 1982, good recording, good sound but
                  not very interesting for someone who has all their official live stuff and over 50 bootlegs (lp's/cd's/dvd's) from this band.

Bonus track nr 5 is an 'alternate' version of 'To Hell and Back again', awesome!!
                  Bonus tracks 6 and 8 are new mixes taken from the original 24 track tapes remixed at the Abbey Road Studios by Pete Mew in 2009, very powerfull!!
                  Bonus track 7 featuring the previously unreleased song "MANDY" , an early working title/version of "SIX FORM GIRLS" , with some other lyrycs, funny!

Saxon - Strong Arm of the Law : Released in October 1980 >

Best Songs : DALLAS 1 PM /// STRONG ARM OF THE LAW /// 20.000 FT /// TO HELL AND BACK AGAIN /// HEAVY METAL THUNDER /// taking your chances //

Comment

• rocking ron
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Sep 2010

[SIZE="5"]SKANSIS = Leaving You

"Leaving You" is the 2nd album of these Suisse rockers from their capital Bern. ( 1st one : Taking Your Chance 2007 )

This band have started in 2000 under the name 'SHINE' and has changed it in 2005 to 'SKANSIS'.

It's a nice album with strong melodies , hooks , choruses and lyrics about love and lost and not to forget a good mix of mid-and-up tempo rockers and some ballads !!!

For fans of Shakra and Gotthard ( both Suisse rockbands too ) it's okay for sure 'cause it sounds like the wellknown Suisse clocks what means a solid production !!

Personally I will give this album on a scale from 1 to 10 an 7.5, nothing new, nothing bad, a typycal 'feel good' cd to play out loud on a sunny day in your car with windows

( or roof ) wide open .

Best Songs : NEVER WALK ALONE // NEXT TO MINE // I DON'T BELIEVE

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

From the vaults: UFO – Lights Out (1977)

Debate will continue to rage whether this album saw the Schenker-era UFO at their best, but it’s certainly true that it saw them at their most expansive and adventurous. With producer Ron Nevison on board Mogg, Way and co. clearly felt encouraged to push the boundaries of their sound. The result is a record which, whilst not as hard rocking as ‘Force It’ or ‘Phenomenon’, was perhaps more of a testament to the band’s talent as songwriters.

Closer ‘Love to Love’ is a case in point. A bleeding guitar opening gives way to a huge Who-like arrangement lavished in synths and keyboards, and the result is a song of massive size and emotive power. Conversely, the simple and delicate piano ballad ‘Try Me’ is willowy and tender: showcasing the power of Mogg’s gutsy, raw vocal, it also demonstrated that UFO were much, much more than just another rock ‘n’ roll band. That’s not to say there’s not plenty of ballsy hard rock here. ‘Too Hot To Handle’ encapsulated the pure joy of the bad-boy-love-rat, its plucky kiss ‘n’ tell riff almost out-teasing the tongue-in-cheek lyrics (‘Shall-la-la roll you over/ Turn you round and do it again?’) The title track possesses a galloping thunder, and ‘Getting Ready’ is pure loose charm.

Picking the best track, then, is no easy matter. But ‘Just Another Suicide’ edges it. Featuring the bluesy drive of Bad Company or early Springsteen, its clever arrangement and harmonies take precedent over the thrusting guitar so prominent in UFO previously. It’s a lost classic of a song, and they really don’t make ‘em like this any more. There was a real sense of purpose to ‘Lights Out’. Considering that the band were warring like cats and dogs during its conception, it’s a miracle that they sound like such a tightly wound unit. But it’s Schenker who steals the show: there are less histrionics than on earlier records for sure, but anyone who can shift from ripping his way through the solo on ‘Too Hot To Handle’ to the nuances of the hair-raising ‘Try Me’ really is a master axeman.

UFO were as good as any ‘70s hard rock band: and they should be remembered for it.

Comment

• rocking ron
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Sep 2010

Funny you're 'talking' about UFO, don't know them very well but have buyed and played a couple of days ago a UFO - 4 CD Boxset with 3 shows on it :

all live : the Roundhouse 1976 (w/Schenker) & Hammersmith 1982 & Vienna, Austria (w/Schenker 2cd's)

and this is good stuff indeed !!!

I'm more familiar with MSG/McCauley , I love the unplugged show/cd they've done in Anaheim 1992 ( also on bootleg dvd ) with some UFO stuff too, awesome!!

Comment

• rocking ron
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Sep 2010

BLACK 'n BLUE = HELL YEAH -2011-

After doin' 4 albums in 5 years they broke up in 1989 to return in 2011 with their 'come-back' album "HELL YEAH".
                          This cd took the band 8 years because their great singer Jaime St. James has taken the 'mic' for 4 years in another American rockband : WARRANT to replace vocalist JAMI LANE.
                          They've also lost their guitar player Tommy Thayer who's replacing very succesfully KISS's ACE FREHLEY!!!

So what about this album ; I can say Jaime St. James is still a class-act and their new guitar player is doing very well also on this album wich is starting with a very familiar riff
                          from METALLICA's Enter Sandman!!!
                          There are some very bad moments with songs like "Jaime's got the beer" and "A tribute to Hawking" ( a tribute to Stephen Hawking a British Physecist!?? ) .
                          Funny thing is the (semi-) acousticall "Trippin'45" and bad things are simply fillers like ; "Hail Hail" , '"C'mon" , "Angry Son of a Bitch".
                          Title song "Hell Yeah" looks a lot like The Rods' "Getting Higher" and AC/DC's "Bad Boy Boogie" and one of the better songs "Falling Down" sounds to me as a leftover of OZZY's NO MORE
                          TEARS album!!!
                          "HELL YEAH" is a solid release with some shining moments but I constantly have the feeling that it could have been much better 'cause it never surprise me that much.

Best Songs : MONKEY // SO LONG // FALLING DOWN

Comment

• rocking ron
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Sep 2010

BAD CITY = WELCOME TO THE WASTELAND ( released on 4 August 2010 )

First time I've listened to the debut-album of this 5 piece rock band from Chicago Illinois signed to Atlantic Records I didn't like it that much!!
                            Just another 13 in a dozen '80s tribute rock band' trying hard to copy those big names !!!
                            Right now, after listening a few times I have to say that I was wrong, OK, a song-title like "Call Paul Stanley" is in my opinion a little childish!! but it rocks, and that's most important.
                            Also good to know is the man himself appriciate their music a lot !!!

Ofcourse there's a ballad, "Fire in the pouring Rain" but mostly mid-and up-tempo stuff, and the band members all knows how to use their instruments in a good way!!
                            The influence are sometimes surprising like QUEEN and some POISON in 1 song ; "Do you believe in Rock and Roll" , but most songs does have that MOTLEY CRUE , SKID ROW &
                            DEF LEPPARD 'feel' !! ( and some more bands ofcourse )
                            After all a good Melodic-Rock album with a very good production and I expect some more 'fireworks' on the next cd to put 'BAD CITY' on 'the map'!!

For me, making this review was a lesson, music isn't a throw away product , no , it's like a good wine ; sometimes it needs some time !!!
                            Hopefully 'BAD CITY' isn't a bad wine but a big bottle.

Best Songs : LOOK OUT // WILDLIFE // TAKE ME FOR A RIDE // STRAIGHT TO THE GRAVE

Comment

• rocking ron
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Sep 2010

SAXON = ROCK THE NATIONS ( Re-Release : Remastered Edition with Bonus Tracks )

1986!!! Strange year in the world of 'Rock and Roll' ; 'DIAMOND DAVE'with his new band doing 'BIG ROCK', 'VAN HAGAR' went 'commercial' just like IRON MAIDEN , KISS , WHITESNAKE ,
                              WINGER , OZZY , ALICE COOPER , DEF LEPPARD and on and on...
                              And also SAXON tried to get in their footsteps......some people hates it and others don't
                              But anyway , SAXON did their thing, first longtime bassplayer Steve Dawson left the band and singer Biff Byford did the bass parts on lp/cd 'ROCK THE NATIONS' while newcomer ( bass ) Paul
                              Johnson got the credits ( a year later replaced by Tim 'Nibbs' Carter ), and the band played on!!!

This album got some good rock-songs and some strange stuff like some kind of power-ballad ( NOTHERN LADY ) with on piano nobody else than Sir ELTON JOHN.
                              ELTON JOHN has played 2 songs on this album : Nothern Lady and Party till' you Puke, fun part is he actually did play one song ( Party till you puke ) and 'Saxon' has sampled him in the other song without inform our 'SIR' !!

The Bonus Tracks contains 2 x '7 Single Edits from "WAITING FOR THE NIGHT" and "NOTHERN LADY" and a B-Side ( instrumental ) of "Waiting for the Night" : CHASE THE FADE !!

More Bonus Tracks are "Everybody Up" and "Dallas 1 PM" , both B-side of 'Nothern Lady and both played LIVE in MADRID.

The last 3 Bonus Tracks are recordings from the BBC live at READING ROCK FESTIVAL 1986 with : POWER & THE GLORY
                              ROCK THE NATION
                              WAITING FOR THE NIGHT
                              these are very good live recordings like we used to be from this band!!!

Best Songs : ROCK THE NATION // WE CAME HERE TO ROCK // YOU AIN'T NO ANGEL // BATTLE CRY

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

Rock the Nations wasa a terrible album. Only 'Northern Lady' prevented it from being a complete disaster....

Comment

Working...