X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

From the vaults: Metallica – Metallica/’The Black Album’ (1991)

‘Ba-da-de-de-dur, ba-da-de-de-dur, ba-da-de-de-dur, ba-dede-dede-de-dedur’. It’s a hell of a riff – as simple as it is powerful – and one which propelled a grubby metallic beast to the heights of a stadium crushing colossus. Whether they ultimately gained more than they lost in the process has been debated pretty much since ‘Enter Sandman’ hit MTV 20 years ago. Whatever side you take on that debate – that Metallica ‘died’ when they decided to write songs that a) had personal lyrical inflections and b) where not 8 minutes long; or that ‘The Black Album’ was the culmination of almost a decade of music revolutionizing heavy metal – it’s pretty hard to deny that it’s a classic record. To note that it’s the biggest selling heavy metal record ever is to be a little disparaging – it’s one of the biggest selling records EVER, in ANY genre. For a band who began life playing as hard, fast and aggressive as possible that’s something of an enigma.

So, they must have ‘sold out’, right? Who really cares? ‘The Black Album’ sold in droves because it contained fucking good songs: yes, it was promoted with lots of singles and videos; and yes, Metallica’s seemingly relentless ability to tour was a contributing factor, but you can’t peddle shit for long, and this record has been bought – and loved – consistently for 20 years. And those songs, man, those songs. The sheer heaviness of ‘Sad But True’ – a song which alternates from delicate to crushing, anthemic to unnerving, and is an equal to any other metal classic – still surprises all of these later. But listening to ‘The Black Album’ now, it’s the deeper cuts that hit hardest: the precision power riffage ‘Holier Than Thou’ – which builds and builds towards a torrent of energy – and savage rage of ‘The Struggle Within’ kick like mules and blow out of the speakers. Both were really thrash songs dressed in Bob Rock’s pretty production, and they snarl through the veneer. Indeed, for all the ‘sell out’ BS it’s hard to deny that ‘The Black Album’ was something of a Trojan horse – an album which smuggled a much heavier form of metal into the households of suburbia. The jackhammer riff of ‘The God That Failed’ – gaga gagagaga GA gaga GA gaga GA ga gaga GA – and primeval stomp ‘Of Wolf And Man’ are the bedrock of that power. And it’s in that heaviness that the real triumph of this record lies. By taking a much heavier form of music to the mainstream – or ramming it in there, you decide – Metallica opened the door for bands like Pantera, Slipknot and Lamb of God to be huge. Who could have imagined that in 1985?

When an album hits big, however, there’s always a downside: familiarity breeds contempt. Even the best songs suffer from being overplayed. ‘Nothing Else Matters’ – a beautiful and more rustic take on power-balladry – and ‘Enter Sandman’ suffer that bane. Metallica’s hardcore fanbase probably barely listen to them these days. That each saw a move forward on the ‘less is more’ approach to song-writing is significant, however, because it encapsulates the success of this record: the recognition that speed and violence do not necessarily equal power. You could argue that Hetfield and co. had recognized that as early as ‘Ride the Lightning’ – featuring mid-paced rumblers like ‘For Whom the Bell Tolls’ and ‘Escape’ and the ballad-mongering ‘Fade To Black’ – but it found its greatest exercise here in the art of concision. ‘The Unforgiven’, ‘Wherever I May Roam’ ‘Through The Never’ and the aforementioned ‘Sandman’ all combined the hallmarks of Metallica’s earlier works – hulking riffs, thundering drums, histrionic solos and Hetfield’s aggressive vocal delivery – but welded it to bigger hooks and a production that left space between the players, allowing the songs to breathe and pulsate, and creating a sound that was cavernous, soaring, huge. Even 20 years on, the production astonishes.

But it’s that overplaying that has diminished the album’s reputation – we’re now so far away from its initial impact that it’s impossible to recapture it. No-one would argue that this album had the impact on music in a creative sense that the band’s earlier work had: it didn’t spawn copyists in the same way that their thrash masterpieces did. In a sense ‘The Black Album’s’ impact was more diffuse than direct. If ‘Kill ‘em All’ marked a beginning and ‘Master of Puppets’ showed heavy metal the possibilities of what it could achieve, ‘The Black Album’ marked an end: an end of heavy metal in its traditional form. It did so by being superlative. In the ‘70s ‘heavy metal’ was an umbrella term for a lot of bands that did not really fit into a pigeonhole: Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath, Rainbow and Judas Priest were all heavy, but they were also very different beasts. It was in 1980 with Priest’s ‘British Steel’ – an album which, like ‘The Black Album’, stripped back the somewhat fissiparous sound to something simpler and welded it to a bigger and crisper production – that heavy metal found a template, both creatively and aesthetically. The twin guitar assault, duel leads, speed, aggression and the sonic boom of the vocals all chrystalized there in a way which they hadn’t done before, and much of the metal of the 80s – at least in the centre-ground – replicated Priest’s mandate mercilessly. In one sense, ‘The Black Album’ was both its nirvana and nadir: the distillation of those component parts of their purest and most powerful, and wedded to the added heaviness of the underground.

That album – combined with the beginning of Maiden’s years in the wilderness and Halford’s exit from Priest – marked the end of a creative paradigm as much as it offered metal new creative opportunities. In the two decades since the genre has splintered into an array of sub-genres – death metal, black metal, grindcore, nu metal, metalcore – each of which have yielded considerable successes. Sometimes greatness doesn’t inspire diffidence but deviance – that Metallica had made ‘The Black Record’ meant that nobody else could do or had to. Loved and hated, revered and reviled in equally measure, it’s an album which opened as many doors as it closed, a capstone on metal’s past which meant that future bands had to forge very different creative paths. When you listen to the songs though, you can’t help but feel the gargantuan weight of its power: seismic, casuistic and boundlessly heavy metal propelled by riff after riff after riff.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

I had to blast that record to remind me why I love that band so much having spent a fortnight recovering from ploughing through 'LuLu'. Why Hetfield, WHY????

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

From the vaults: Killing Joke – What’s This For? (1981)

It’s a truism that most bands, no matter how novel or innovative they first appear, are simply borrowing from the past and re-arranging the component parts in fresh ways. The list of true musical mavericks is a short one, but Killing Joke belong on it. Before The Prodigy, before Ministry, before Skinny Puppy and before N.I.N Killing Joke paved the way for industrial music, blend metal, punk, new wave and electronic in truly pioneering – and frankly disturbing – manner. ‘What’s This For? Was not as vitriolic as their debut, but it showcased the sheer inventiveness of their sound: the synths were downplayed and the songs were now propelled by tribal drumming and leftfield bass lines, all offset by Jaz Coleman’s soap-box-cum-preacher vocals. It’s terrifying stuff, but compelling too. ‘The fall of because’ is disjointed, fractured and angular, constructed from a juggernaut riff, tribal beats, electronic atmospherics and chanted lyrics, it’s as awkward as a rave at a funeral and sounds like post punk glassing new wave. Killing Jokes aesthetic has always been built around loops and loops of sounds which induce a form of hypnotic mania. ‘Butcher’ is a menace of electronica which is as chilling as the eyes of an unsatisfied rapist, and the deliberately repetitive ‘follow the leader’ is the soundtrack to a newsreal of violence. Swirling rhythms, discordant guitar, and frazzled melodies work together to both encapsulate the social turmoil of the time in which it was made and transcend them. Untouchable.

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Earth Crisis – Neutralize The Threat

This is the sort of record that makes you happy to be angry. Blending hardcore and metal in ways which are actually interesting, Syracuse crew Earth Crisis have always been something a sore thumb. Initially making albums propounding their straightedge veganism, they ‘turned on’ their hardcore roots in 2000 by making the more metallic ‘Slither’ – and then disbanding. ‘Neutralize The Threat’ – their second ‘reunion’ album and seventh record overall – is the sign of a band who couldn’t care less what the purists think. Eschewing straight-edged lyrics, the band here touch upon heroism and vigilantism, the ethics of self-defence and the Black Panthers. Unique doesn’t come close. The songs here are visceral and achingly sincere. More importantly, they twist and turn on the simplest of ingredient – a great riff, a beautifully placed time changed, uncomplicated yet poignant lyrics. It’s difficult to make it look this easy. The title track is founded on a juicy riff of tar thick heaviness, ‘100 Kiloton Blast’ evokes Crowbar’s tortured Sabbath rumble at its finest, whilst ‘Total War’ and ‘Counterstrike’ are as brutal and heavy as any metal band – the different is that Earth Crisis’s hardcore concision makes the whole more impactful. Not everything is top tier – ‘Askari’ and ‘Raze’ struggle to dent the memory – but ‘Neutralize The Threat’ is certainly one of the year’s more pleasant (and pissed off) surprises.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Metallica's Black album IS a great album.

Even taking the sales figures and putting them to one side, it's full of great songs in a variety of rock styles and tempos. Metallica 'purists' may lament the passing of Cliff and point to Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets as the salad days of the band, but for me those records...there IS an intensity to them that the band perhaps never replicated post-1986, in terms of raw fury and speed. However, style-wise those three records had a very narrow focus, certainly in comparison to what followed. This may or may not be a bad thing depending on who you talk to. I can vividly remember when those first three records were released, and it was a wakeup call when thinking about the type of hard rock/heavy metal bands that were getting the most play/press at the time. I mean, there was no confusing of or lumping in Metallica with MTV friendly acts like Ratt, Quiet Riot, Poison and the like. Even Maiden and Priest at their mid-1980s heaviest fell a bit short of matching Metallica's intensity.

The Black album was a bit of a quantum leap for Metallica. Shades of it can be found on ...And Justice For All, but the Black album was just such a great all-around effort. Perhaps it WAS created with a larger audience in mind, but to my ears it didn't necessarily rock any less or sacrifice the band's integrity because of it (not an easy feat, either). For all the queasiness of Some Kind Of Monster, the Black album is while Metallica and Bob Rock got it right. The slower tempos and concentration on melodies was a bit shocking at first, but the focus placed on these aspects resulted in stellar tracks like Nothing Else Matters, which is taken so slowly and precisely at the beginning...building tension...when the guitar solo at the end arrives, it's a release. Excellent sense of pacing and dynamics, and quite removed from the earlier records where it was an out-and-out blitz. And Hetfield actually SINGS, rather than grunting. And this is just one example - the rest of the tracks are just as strong.

In truth, the Black album is probably the only Metallica album I still (on occasion) listen to from start-to-finish these days. I mean, yeah, it was played to fucking death on the radio, but so was Led Zep IV, The Who's Who's Next and AC/DC's Back In Black; doesn't mean they weren't exceptional records.
            Last edited by Terry; 12-04-2011, 09:58 AM.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Bang on the money. That's exactly what I was driving at: being overplayed doesn't lesson greatness, nor does the fact that Metallica became a bit of a soap opera in the earl 00s. And despite the plush production, it's a fucking heavy album - I mean, I like HEAVY, HEAVY music, but people can confuse extremity and heaviness. A death metal band is more extreme, but there's so much clout on the Black record. It's juddering.

The first five Metallica records were great (crappy sound on '...Justice' aside) and the Black record was the captstone. I like the records after that, but no-one would put them in the same league.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Chthonic – Takasago Army

If there’s one corner of the metal universe I really don’t feel all that qualified to comment on then it’s Black Metal. Try as I might, it’s just never really held my attention: it’s so overtly earnest it feels faintly ridiculous to me. And then I heard this record. Blending extreme metal, keyboards and traditional Taiwanese folk music together, Chthonic adopt the grandiose soundscapes and melodrama of black metal to tell the tale of the Takasago Army, a fearless band of warriors adopted into the Japanese Imperial Army during the second war and subsequently at the forefront of the chaos that result from the South Pacific’s implosion in its aftermath, culminating in a series of martyrdoms at the hands of the Chinese. It’s a brutal and epic story set to brutal and epic music.

Opening with Taiwanese orchestration, the album quickly passes into ‘Legacy of the Seedig’, a piece of tort extreme metal as you’ll hear anywhere in Scandinavia. ‘Taken’ blends traditional instrumentation to dark keyboards and metallic rumble, a potent and malevolent cocktail which evokes Mercyful Fate, Celtic Frost and hints at Maiden. The lyrics are perfectly sparse for such a war torn subject matter, and the use of multiple styles – from Nordic chants, near spoken growls and banshee screams – makes the vocals another instrument in the band’s sonic tapestry. ‘Broken Jade’ is a jet black epic and ‘Quell the Souls in Sing Ling Temple’ is as cinematic in its scope as it is harrowing in its impact. The whole here is much more than the sum of its parts – Chthonic have delivered an album here, not just a collection of songs. And it may be a great one. One thing’s for sure, however. That an album this ambitious, this captivating and this fresh was made in a culture where being in a metal band means facing a hell of a lot more hostility than the odd sneer or disapproving look is a testament of Chthonic’s passion. That passion oozes from ‘Takasago Army’, which is easily one of 2011’s best heavy records.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

From the vaults: Tad – Inhaler (1993)

If ever a band sounded like they looked it was Tad: fat, sweaty, menacing dudes seemingly more likely to be caught peeping at a ladies aerobics class than pressing their hands into the Hollywood walk of fame. Still, the music matched the (lack of) aesthetic: dirty, honed down 4 minute rock ‘n’ roll songs performed with thunder and oozing in heart. I’d forgotten just how good – and immediate – this record is: Tad blended punk and metal together in a way which Therapy? would perfect a year later. In a sense they were everything good about grunge: uncomplicated, dirty, broken and beaten heavy music stripped of all the sheen, hyperbole and pretense of Sunset Strip. ‘Grease Box’ rumbles into life on a battered bass line and features an almost apologetic, weazing chorus (they really couldn’t give a fuck) and a rusty guitar. No-one would pretend that Tad had the potential of a Nirvana or a Stone Temple Pilots, and nor did they possess the generation-saving pretentions of Eddie Vedder – but there’s a lot to be said for the unassumingly determined, and Tad occupy the same territory as Mudhoney in that regard. Live with their record for a while and it will own you. The crooked melody of ‘Leafy Incline’, the unbalanced rifforama of ‘Ulcer’ or the concrete slab of power ‘Just Bought the Farm’ all shudder from the speakers like that awkward dude down the street who the local kids run away from. By the time you get to the dirty thunder of the guitar melody in ‘Paregoric’ Tad are sure to be your seventh favourite band. And that’s precisely where they always wanted to be.

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Black Stone Cherry – Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea.

Every band comes to a crossroads where they have to decide if they want to keep evolving organically or if they want to be steered towards the big time. On this, their 3rd album, BSC have opted for the latter: from the styling which is evident on the linear-note photo or the presence of song-writing credits for a series of extra-band ‘hit makers’ (Bob Marlette and John 5 amongst them), what we have here is a band repackaged and whipped into an arena smashing state.

It’s all topped off with a frankly huge production. Kentucky’s Southern Rock sons have never sounded so crisp, so concise, so…………..pristine. And in a sense it works. Opener ‘White Trash Millionaire’ – with its huge chorus and huger back beat – is a stripper anthem if ever there was one; and the nitro charged riffage of ‘Change’ is aural caffene. Hell, even the slightly kitsch tale of little girl lost (‘Such a Shame’) kicks like a mule underneath BSC’s shiny new clothes. But they’ve lost a lot in the wrapping. ‘Killing Floor’ – booming production aside – is a slice of glib angst and slick defiance which Nickleback peddle so well, whilst ‘In My Blood’ is a frankly appauling piece of trite heartache. There’s a sense of style over substance, too. But worst of all is ‘Blame it on the Boom Boom’ – easily the most cringe-worthy piece of nasty talk from rock’s most unlikely luvaman. No-one has ever looked to BSC for great lyrics, but we’re straight out of the big book of Southern rock clichés here: mama’s cry, hearts are broken, lemons are squeezed, roads are open and driven in daddy’s borrowed car. Tired? Yup. Effective? Bound to be – this record will sell in droves.

You just hope that the people who buy it pick up BSC’s earlier records, too (especially their bollock busting, riff shitting debut). There they were Southern Rock’s 3rd coming: a sloppy, gnarly, shot in the arm for a genre suffering a perpetual drought. With a rhythm section owing more to metal than blues, they even evoked the spirit of Molly Hatchet. Now it’s more Kid Rock. And that’s fine – they have the hooks to exist in a radio rock world. But this leaves a taste tinged with regret at what might have been – there is a sense of compromise, of packaging, that what we have here is a product not an album. It’s done with confidence and pinache: but will it be remembered? Yes, actually, but probably against your will. Try as I might, all that’s in my head today is: ‘If you wake up in the mornin’ in somebody else’s room room/ Blame it on the boom boom.’

Lord have mercy.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Assaulter – Boundless.

Assaulter are retro without being nostalgic. They evoke the spirit, the atmospherics of ‘80s metal in a way that is more tribute than homage. And by ‘80s metal, we don’t mean Sunset Strip. We mean a world of fanzines, of late night college radio and low production budgets, a world in which naïve charm and dogged determination ruled over technical prowess. All that comes into your head here are fanzines, bullet-belts, biker jackets and sown-on patches. Fuck yeah! A three piece featuring band members named G. Beserker and L. Hellfinder, Assaulter channel the spirit of Anvil, Mercyful Fate, Venom and Exodus. Their sound is dirt raw, gnarly and vicious. Indeed, the riff to opening tune ‘Entrance’ could cut through steel. Plank-spanking leads from the school of Schenker and more drum fills than you can, erm, shake a stick at are the rule of the day here – this is the glory of heavy metal in all its melodrama and twisted brilliance. Are any of the songs here ever going to win an Ivor Novello award? No, but that’s hardly the point. It’s all about the feel, the hypnotic power of the heaviness purely for its own sake. If you don’t headbang to ‘Dying Day’ or stand arms aloft ready to fight the world to ‘Exalt the Master’ then the 14 year old boy inside you died a long time ago. This nod to the world of pre-thrash metal is more substance than style, and it may be one of 2011’s metal highlights. Epic closer ‘The Great Subterfuge’ has a whiff of the Nordic about it: in the style of Celtic Frost, Bathory or Mercyful Fate, Assaulter have crafted a giant from the simplest of parts – big, fuck off riffs. Let’s hope this look to the past is the shape of things to come.

BANG THY HEAD!

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

The Answer – Revival

Album number 3 from Ireland’s hard rockers was recorded stateside, and sees the band expanding their sound. Elements of gospel and country creep in, and whole affair is more expansive and bluesier, developments felt most keenly on spacey closer ‘Light Are Down’. That’s not to say that there’s a radical departure in sound here – fans of the band’s much rawer, straight-up rocking first two albums will not be in for too much of a shock. But the cumulative effect of those changes – small as they may be – makes for an album which feels different from the sheer joy of the first two. As the budget has gotten bigger, so has the production. There are layers and layers of guitars here, and multiple vocal tracks: in an objective sense this may make for a record which sounds better, but in sounding bigger The Answer have also lost some of their power. Blues rock becomes more effective as it becomes simpler. Indeed, there’s a sense of moments being killed by overthinking here: combined with the lavish artwork featuring a rather preened and posed band, you get the sense that this would have sounded a whole lot better if it was looser.

There are certainly some spectacular moments. ‘Waste Your Tears’ is a blitzkrieg of guitars and sees the band on full tilt, the passion matching the playing. ‘Caught on the Riverbed’ equally sees the band on fire. ‘Nowhere Freeway’ (featuring a duet with Saint Jude’s Lynne Jackaman) is measured, beautiful and powerful. Elsewhere, we’re presented with some damn fine rock ‘n’ roll. But there’s something missing. The Answer – like Thunder before them – are destined to be an enigma of the heavy scene. Here is a band that has everything – the chops, the tunes, the songwriting talents – but falls several steps short of greatness. They’re enjoyable when you want eviscerating; over-cooked when you want raw and tender. All of the trimmings here seem to come from buying their own hype. Thus Cormac Neeson in the linear note:

'On the 1/1/2011 we were a band on a mission, and that mission was to revive this all encompassing force that we call rock ‘n’ roll……and you know what? That mission begins with the album you now have in your possession.'

If that’s the case, rock ‘n’ roll is in a dangerous situation. By nature hungry, feral and dangerous, ‘Revival’ is too flabby and comfortable to be its saviour. It’s worth your time, but not as much as The Answer’s first two records.

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Megadeth – Thirteen

By the time that most bands get to their – you guessed it – thirteenth album, fans buy out of a sense of obligation and nostalgia not really believing that anything on it will revival the glory days. Such is the consistency of Dave Mustaine, however, that much of the music he’s made in his 40s is more than capable of living up to that which he cranked out in his 20s. Here he’s given us something joyous – a collection of anthemic, rifftastic, invigorating heavy metal tunes so well produced the boom out of the speakers. As with ‘United Abominations’ (2007) and ‘Endgame’ (2009) there are some songs on ‘Thirteen’ which don’t just deserve a place in the ‘deth canon, they demand it. Opener ‘Sudden Death’ is an amalgam of crunching riffs, incredible shredding and the archetypical Mustaine snarl, a brew of muscular thrash repeated on the vicious blast of ‘Never Dead’: this is Megadeth at their most concise, most venomous, and consequently most energized. Elsewhere we’re reminded that this was always much, much more than a thrash band. Mustaine has always been able to pen anthems at the slower tempos, too. Featuring a juggernaut of a riff, ‘We the People’ is all off-kilter hammer shocks; and ‘New World Order’ conjures a Judas Priest-like ability to create the presence of an epic in 4 minutes. Mustaine is staggeringly talented when he’s this focussed.

So, ‘Thirteen’ is yet another Megadeth classic, then? Not quite. Whereas ‘United Abominations’ and ‘Endgame’ saw Megadeth delivering the complex and epic thrash that they’re best at, ‘Thirteen’ is a step to the right: an album made of predominantly straight-ahead, no frills rock songs – it’s the ‘Countdown To Extinction’ to ‘Endgame’s’ ‘Rust in Peace’, if you will. In itself, there’s nothing wrong with that because Mustaine has always been talented enough to make Megadeth work in multiple guises. Indeed, ‘Public Enemy No.1’ is a crushing heavy metal anthem which you’ll be humming for days, ‘Guns, Drugs and Money’ and ‘Whose Life (Is It Anyways)?’ is the kind of hard rock streamlined metal they began penning around the time of ‘Youthansia’ and ‘Black Swan’ is a great song in any genre. Period. Most bands would kill to have these hooks – and these riffs – in their arsenals. The problem, however, is that the immediacy of the tunes is lessened by their being lumped together. Thirteen 3-4 minutes songs performed at very similar tempos is just too many, and the result is something of a long-winded affair – losing the likes of ‘Wrecker’ and ‘Fast Lane’ would have strengthened the whole, and made each of the tunes more memorable. Mustaine has given the fans what they wanted (and many bands could take a leaf from his book), but he’s given them too much of it. Sometimes the dependable teaters on the dull, but that’s the constraint that comes with being a legend: it becomes almost impossible to surprise people the way you did with your breakthrough records.

‘Thirteen’, then, is a good record, a very good record, but it’s not a great one. When – like Megadeth - you’re legacy is already set, I suppose in the end it doesn’t really matter. And when you’re cranking this – which you will! – you’ll probably not care either: the anthems just keep coming and coming. An air-guitar frenzy and a sore neck await you.

RATTLE YOUR GODAMNED HEADS!

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

For anyone who gives a shit, here's my albums of 2011:

1) Tesseract - One

Progressive and hooky; heavy and beautiful; cereberal and immediate. This was just a dazzling debut.

2) Trap Them - Darker Handcraft

Hardcore of the most evil variety. If you could distill violence to its essence, it would sound like this.

3) Chthonic - Takasago Army

The cinematic weight of black metal applied to the cinematic drama of war and loss. Powerful in a way that music often doesn't reach.

4) Mastodon - The Hunter

Their weakest album, but it's still chocked full of epic tunes. Riff, riff, riff - thunderously heavy, and at times desperately moving.

5) Anthrax - Worship Music.

Balls. Out. Heavy. Metal. Their best record in 20 years, and possibly the best 'thrash revival' record of recent years.

6) Krisiun - The Great Execution

Corn free death metal of the most brutal variety. This scarred and scared me.

7) Machine Head - Unto The Locust

The nost progressive thing they've done, and the most relentless. Pure metal fury, but perhaps lacking the big anthem moments we expect from a MH record.

8) Black Breath - Heavy Breathing.

Hardcore inspired thrash at its nastiest - music devoid of all pretention.

9) Crowbar - Sever the Wicked Hand

Heavier than anyone and channelling the spirit of Sabbath. Easily the most consistent record of their career.

10) Cavalera Conspiracy - Blunt Force Trauma

Not as good as their debut. But still fucking shit up like only Max Cavalera can.

11) Hate Eternal - Phoenix From the Ashes.

The record you wished Morbid Angel had made.

12) Revocation - Chaos of Forms

Masterful playing, masterful songs, maximum energy.

Honourary mentions: Michael Monroe, Megadeth, Foo Fighters, Opeth (still processing that), Will Haven, Wolves in the Thrown Room.

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Foo Fighters – Wasting Light

When you’ve been in the biggest band in the world (twice), have more awards and accolades than you know what to do with, have run out of walls for the platinum records, and have sold out the biggest venues in the world, what the fuck do you do? If you’re Dave Grohl, apparently you go back to the garage. When most rock bands do that, disaster unfolds: the result is usually and over-produced and under-inspired collection of flabby songs which have been expensively recorded to sound dirty. Not so, here. ‘Wasting Light’ – the 7th and most consistently brilliant of any Foo Fighters record – is a collection of concise, focussed and skilfully hewn rock ‘n’ roll songs. It’s so immediate that when you hit the ‘play’ button you are reminded what it felt like to discover hard rock at 12 years old all over again.

At first, it’s difficult to see what exactly makes this so glaringly superior to every Foo’s records since 1997’s ‘The Colour & The Shape’. In reality, the component parts are the same as they always are: soft/heavy dynamics, clean vocals and screams, 4/4 rhythms, pop-rock hooks and more testosterone than you could shake your head too. Indeed, ‘Rope’ or ‘These Days’ could have been on any Foo’s record. The difference here, however, is twofold: 1) the whole album has been recorded on tape, and it consequently feels human, you get the nuances, the imperfections which come without the alienating perfection of the pro-tools age, and the subsequent warmth makes you want to explore and explore these songs; and 2), Pat Smear is back. Smear not only makes this a more of a guitar-player record, he adds little tonal parts and plays underneath the rest of the band so that the songs have a different feel and glow to them than they would have in his absence. Producer Butch Vig was clearly wise to this, and has only accepted the heavier side of Dave Grohl, presenting us with a very live feeling collection of 3 minutes burst of adrenalin. ‘White Limo’ is a demented Queen of the Stone Age bark which could peel wall-paper, ‘Walk’, with its jangling, anthemic riff, is Tom Petty on steroids, and the monstrous ‘Bridge Burning’ is what Dave Grohl does best: take the Cheap Trick formula, and saturate it in piss ‘n’ vinegar. The result is so simple and so glorious: a veritable feast of genuine fist aloft anthem moments.

In truth, however, it’s the quieter moments that kick hardest. Krist Novoselic appears on ‘I Should Have Known’, a tender tribute to Grohl’s childhood friend and later roadie, Jimmy Swanson, and is easily the most beautiful song Grohl has ever penned. ‘Miss the Misery’ evokes ‘…Color’s’ richly textured dark pop, and ‘Dear Rosemary’ (featuring Bob Mould) has a hook that just keeps coming. This is a band which has grown up without becoming a grey: a band that can write near perfect 3 minute hard rock songs which are taut, brawny and full of gristle. Given that the Foo’s are a band for the everyman, by rights this should be everyone’s album of the year.

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

From the vaults: Flylfeaf – Flyleaf (2007)

Flyleaf’s sound is an amalgam of emo, grunge and alt.rock processed through an acute knack for pop sensibilities. Wrapping their scuzzy guitars and atmospherics around frankly huge hooks, their debut was an assault of infectiously catchy 3 minute globules of anger and lament. What separates them for so many of the other bands existing for the teen market, however, is that. They. Fucking. Mean. It. ‘Fully Alive’, for example, sounds HUGE, an orchestra of crunchy guitars and uncomplicated lyrics which hit hard – there’s no saccharine angst here. ‘I’m So Sick’ is a blast of furious power-chords and alt.rock melody lines and – as with all of the songs here – is taken up a level or 10 by Lacey Mosley’s beautiful, vulnerable swoon of a voice. Part Celtic, part gothic, once her pipes hook you there’s no escape – it makes for an experience which is very immediate, and somehow more human. You just can’t argue with the dark dynamism in the melodies driving ‘Cassie’ or ‘I’m Sorry’, and the floating, effervescent beauty of ‘Sorrow’ is the sound of a band who have found their own sound.

As with most debut records, there are too many ideas here, and the better ones often don’t always win out (see ‘Red Sam’). But if you can convincingly reference The Cure, The Cranberries, Queen Adrena, Placebo and The Smashing Pumpkins on your first record, you’re a band to watch. I imagine that the average Flyleaf fan is a 14 year old girl whose parents don’t understand her – well, they’ve just hooked a slightly jaded twenty-something metalhead, too.

Comment

Working...