Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,040 of 1433

Thread: Album Reviews

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,503 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    From the vaults: Nirvana – Nevermind (1991)

For many hard rock fans, ‘grunge’ was defined by what it wasn’t rather than what it was. The ‘absence’ of stage-presence, or at least the glitz and glam; the rejection of the ‘hey Mom, look at this!’ style of guitar heroics in favour of a song-over-ego approach; and the abandonment of hair-spray in favour of plaid. But, in truth, what separated ‘grunge’ from what came before was a completely different attitude. Generation X, for whatever reason, didn’t feel the ‘nothin’ but a good time’ vibe of the decade before, and whilst their detractors heard only what was missing, the grunge bands themselves pointed to what was there in spades – earthy emotions, genuine expression and an approach which favoured simplicity over complexity. Indeed, when seen as an extension of the alt.rock movement of the ‘80s – rather than as a reaction against Hair Metal – grunge makes a hell of a lot more sense, and no longer appears to have come completely out of the blue. Nirvana had far more in common with Sonic Youth and REM than anything you might call ‘metal’, but by the same token they also had far more power and clout than the Patridge Family with guitars of Poison and Warrant’s ‘Metal’.

‘Nevermind’ was not the best-selling grunge record – that tag goes to Pearl Jam’s ‘Ten’, a record that was really just a dirtied-up Classic Rock masquerading as something new. Nor was it the ‘best’ grunge record – that tag surely goes to either Alice In Chains’ ‘Dirt’, or Soundgarden’s ‘Badmotorfinger’. Hell, it wasn’t even the best Nirvana record – ‘In Utero’ was a far, far superior album. But ‘Nevermind’ defines grunge precisely because it encapsulated so much of the zeitgeist, and so much of what grunge was about: injecting a punk aesthetic back into pop music, and welding together edge with melody. And it flat-out rocked. Sure, it was simple – but making something this powerful from something so simple is close to genius. And it felt more real, and less of a performance than what happened before – more human, if you will. Much of that was down to the rawness of the sound, but Butch Vig had proven himself a very clever producer – there is plenty of studio magic here – over-dubs, multilayered vocal harmonies – but they add tone and shade which amplified the band’s power where in the previous decade they had added a sheen and shine which detracted from it. Almost a quarter of a century on, this is a record which stills arrests attention.

It was all about the songs, stoopid. If the band’s first record – ‘Bleach’ – had been about blustering power, here Nirvana were all about the songs and putting the melodies first. Dave Grohl’s drumming had a classic, American rock feel to it, stripping the arrangement of the songs down to essentials in a way that Springsteen and Petty would be proud of. You here that simplicity in ‘Come As You Are’ – a musical revenge of the nerds – a song propelled by the most uncomplicated of bass-lines; or in the acoustic closer, ‘Something In The Way’ – does music come much more beautiful than this whisp of a song? Cobain touched on themes far from synonymous with multi-platinum records – the abducting/rape trauma of ‘Polly’ being a standout – and in a sense it worked not because it shocked, but because it provided something so distinctive in such a melodic form. But they were never overly austere – ‘Territorial Pissings’ is the sound of a band content to be goofy, and the deeper cuts like ‘On A Plain’ and ‘Drain You’ show an out-and-out rock ‘n’ roll band in shit-kicker form. It is songs like these that jump out far more than the ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’, the best cover of ‘More Than a Feeling’ ever recorded.

Even those who didn’t like grunge would have to admit that it ultimately widened the palette of heavy music – lyrically, Cobain and the other frontmen presented a heavy sound which was open to expressions of vulnerability and tenderness in a way that the alpha-male metal of the ‘70s and ‘80s had not been. Much of the lyrical content of the ultra-heavy bands which trip over one another in the 21st century owe a great deal to records like this. Ultimately, in trying to explain why this record kicked off an explosion, it is easy to over-complicate the explanation, to focus on what it was about grunge that was unique or different. Perhaps it is wiser to think about what it had in common with the rock’s past – here was a record of rebellion, of teenaged awkwardness, of striving, and, most of all, 3 minute tunes you could sing after first listen. Is there anything more thrilling than that?
    I sorta missed the boat on Nirvana when they were actually around. It's hard to explain why that was now. Looking back, I think it had to do with an inexplicable adverse reaction to the sudden explosion of all things Seattle/"grunge" in the media. It felt like this genre was being forced upon me, and I kinda turned my ears off to a lot of it at the time. I still think Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder are purveyors of a studied 'angst' that is just as artificial as anything Madonna ever did.
    At any rate, I heard all the Nirvana tunes that were in heavy rotation at the time on MTV, and I liked the tunes. It wasn't until I saw the Unplugged thing in the fall of 1993 that I got a real sense of what a great songwriter Cobain was. Krist and Grohl were perfect for that band as well (although as a songwriter post-Nirvana I think Grohl is way overrated). What Grohl did with Nirvana was just stripped-down and straightforward, but that's what made it so good to listen to.
    I'd readily agree that In Utero was a more interesting listen than Nevermind, but I'd also agree that Nevermind...you can't really deny it, can you? It defined the zeitgeist and shifted the focus of rock music in one fell swoop. Nirvana just felt more real than anything Guns and Roses and Metallica were doing (and 1991 was a year where the Illusions albums and the Black album were selling bucketloads). Some might quibble over if Nirvana actually killed off hair metal, but if so I'm glad they did. And Cobain is dead and Bon Jovi is still out there shilling out his Springsteen-lite pop rock swill.
    Truly no justice in this world.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 3 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

binnie (10-15-2013),Seshmeister (10-22-2013),TFM_Dale (12-02-2013)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Vektor – Outer Isolation (2012)

Regular readers of these reviews will know that I loooove me some thrash. Old skool, new skool, Scandinavian, European, or American, I live for it all. Hell, you could call me a connoisseur if that term wasn’t so hopelessly out of place amidst a form of music so brutal. All of this should emphasize that when I state that Vektor are the best thrash band in the world, I don’t say it lightly. In fact, I’d say that no-one else – even the mighty titans Kreator, Death Angel, Sodom, Destruction, and killer new boys like Diamond Plate or Evile – even come close. Although we’re only two albums in, we may be witnessing this generation’s Voivod: an ultra-heavy band as willfully determined to be angular innovators as they are relentless uncompromising.

What is so special about Vektor is that they tap straight into the violence which was at the heart of ‘80s thrash. That they do so without self-consciously styling themselves as a nostalgia act, or, worse, actually trying to replicate the tin-pan alley 1985 production of the Bay Area bands, only makes them more endearing. This is raw, savage and relentless, but it is also inventive and based on songs, songs that could rip a whole in the atmosphere. The crucial ingredient is balance – the guitars are scabrous, but the music is also remarkably technically proficient; the songs are complex, but they never come close to disappearing up their own ass. The hypnotic riffage is present – you want that unbridled fury in the rhythmic assault of thrash – but Eric Nelson and David Disanto also do something unique, eschewing relentless staccato guitar in favour of a frenetic, demented approach to melody and combine into quite a wall of sound. Be clear: no metal bands is doing what Vektor do with guitars, and they deserve to be spoken of in the same hushed tones as Mastodon and Gojira. Some of the riffs – ‘Echoless Chamber’, ‘Tetrastructural Minds’ – are ridiculous, and they always complement the eerie, evil atmosphere which is ever-present.

That any band can mold such intricacy into crushing brutality is a remarkable achievement. Ten minute opener ‘Cosmic Cortex’ builds progressive structures and death metal styling upon a molten thrash core, whilst the title-track welds thrash and post-rock into one unholy melee of metal. Elsewhere, the unbridled fury of ‘Dying World’, ‘Dark Creations, Dead Creators’ and ‘Fast Paced Society’ sound like a challenge to other bands – ‘we’re THIS good, can you match us?’ Plenty of bands are as heavy, and as fast, but few are as distinctive – never coming close to being a pastiche of the Big Four, or a mindless exercise in post-Haunted plagarism, ‘Outer Isolation’ is a nightmarish journey of careering thrash packed with unexpected changes, jolts, textures that will soon become a friend.

A cynic might say that there have been prog-thrash bands in the past – and Heathen, Abzu, Coroner and Watchtower were/are all awesome bands. But, none have the sheer abrasive power of Vektor. The only question is: can you handle it?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2021 @ 10:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Hi Binnie
    Do you listen to any of the artists on the Rise Above label (Electric Wizard, Blood Ceremony, Uncle Acid, Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell). Didn't see them in the index.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mr. Walker - all of the above, with the exception of Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell, who I've yet to encounter.

Electric Wizard would be my favourite on that list, although Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats are really growing on me. If you like that stuff, Purson are well worth checking out too - not brutally heavy (like EW), but trippy psychedlia with really, really great songs.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mr. Walker - all of the above, with the exception of Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell, who I've yet to encounter.

Electric Wizard would be my favourite on that list, although Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats are really growing on me. If you like that stuff, Purson are well worth checking out too - not brutally heavy (like EW), but trippy psychedlia with really, really great songs.
    Yes,
    I have 'The Circle and the Blue Door' on vinyl. It's very difficult and expensive to get Rise Above albums here in the states.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

BTW... The Shovell is a very kick ass, raw, sloppy 70s throwback band.

I've also been listening to Kadavar a lot as well.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,997 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    BTW... The Shovell is a very kick ass, raw, sloppy 70s throwback band.

I've also been listening to Kadavar a lot as well.
    Mr. Wanker, can you kindly link me to some samples of these bands, so I can preview before I purchase?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Aerosmith – Music From Another Dimension (2012)

It would be unrealistic to expect Aerosmith to recapture their heyday. Not only have they proven incapable of doing so despite promising it with every album since the mid-‘90s, are now both incredibly old and rich (when was the last time they sounded hungry?), but the conscious change in sound which accompanied their ‘clean-up, come back’ rejuvenation in the late ‘80s rendered them a very different beast. Indeed, anyone hoping that ‘Music….’ would be aiming for the stars should adjust their sites from ‘Rocks’ to ‘Pump’ – and in a sense, there’s nothing wrong with that, for ‘Pump’ was a glitzy, hook-filled corporate rock record of the finest proportions which presented a slicker, more cartoonish version of Aerosmith still doused in a little magic. The truth is that ‘Music….’ falls (very, very) short of the mark: losing your hunger is fine if you can fall back on an abundance of decently written tunes, but it is clear that Aerosmith no longer can. If this is indeed from another dimension, it is one where Aerosmith are rocking retirement homes rather than suburbs.

Several things stand out from the get-go. 1) at 15 songs and 68 minutes, this is way, way too long – Aerosmith should be like alley sex, short, sweet and nasty, but MFAD is more like endless foreplay where no-one cums. 2) despite repeated incandescence from fans that they no longer write decent hard rock tunes, the reason is made all too abundantly clear here: they no longer can. The two that Joe Perry mails in (and sings) ‘Something’ and ‘Freedom Fighter’ would be laughed at by most A&R men, whilst ‘Street Jesus’ (a colossal 6 minutes of ‘blues’) is sautéed in wrong sauce. Elsewhere the problems that have plagued Aerosmith records since the ‘90s persist: the lack of editing, the absence of any pace to inject the record with life, and the presence of the ‘hit writers’ Marti Freidriksen, Desmond Childs and Jim Valance. You want it to kick you in the ass, but it just keeps falling short. The eastern-tinged blues of opener ‘Luv XXX’ skiffles things to life at easy pace, ‘Oh Yeah’ serves up some inoffensive B-rate ‘60s British Invasion blues, whilst sappy ballad ‘We All Fall Down’ is more Broadway than skid row. Tyler may still have a voice so captivating that it could read the phone book and be appealing, but producer Jack Douglass has worked overtime here polishing some serious cracks out of the material before him with an array of studio magic, background vocal melodies and horns acting as filler.

It would be churlish not to admit that there is some glisten amidst the dust. ‘Out Go The lights’ shows enough r’n’b to make even the hardened cynic smile (even if, at 7 minutes, it’s more of a jam than a song). But it’s the ballads – yes, them again – which are the strongest moments here (which speaks volumes). ‘What Could Have Been Love’ has the sort of hook you’re expecting (annoyingly irresistible), and features all of the glitter and candy required to ooze its country-tinged rock into a million car speakers. But the real standout (to these ears, at least) is closer ‘Another Last Goodbye’, which pulls back on the schmaltz to produce something more heartfelt and tender.

In a sense, Aerosmith are captives of their own success: memories of the glory daze of America’s greatest hard rock band both perpetuate the group’s career long past the last chances they’ve blown several times before; and raise expectations of what an Aerosmith record ‘should’ be beyond the point that they could ever deliver (who can compete with their younger self?) But a couple of passable tunes in over a dozen is beyond the bottom of the barrel. ‘Tell Me’ opens with the line ‘I think it’s time to realise it’s done…..’: on ‘Music From Another Dimension’ life is certainly imitating art.
    In all honesty, it wasn't surprising to listen to Music From Another Dimension and hear what I did: a few decent ideas and some decent jams, but not a single decent song to be found. Were I to see the band live now, nothing off this album would keep me in my seat. Quite the opposite - time to take a piss, grab a beer and a smoke then shuffle back hoping they'd serve up an oldie. The overall effect of this album is in no way to be unexpected when taking into consideration everything the band have put out since Nine Lives. In fact, the end result is depressingly consistent (and even using the Nine Lives album as a demarcation point between the last decent Aerosmith album is being generous - truth be told the last good album was Pump, but at least Nine Lives was more-or-less listenable).
    I think you have it right in that Aerosmith, at least in terms of creative output, are finally out of gas after having run on fumes for at least a decade and a half. To be frank, Music From Another Dimension almost makes one nostalgic for the early-to-mid 1990s Aerosmith. As overproduced, schmaltzy and pop-oriented as those years were, there were at least some listenable song ideas to be found (even if the bulk of them were from outside writers).
    It wouldn't, as you say, be realistic to expect the band to recapture the greatness of their 1970s output. In many respects, Aerosmith has come across (to me at any rate) more as a business than a band for quite some time now. And there's nothing wrong with that if a band is in the business of creating an album full of good rock tunes. Pump had plenty of outside assistance from songwriters and record exec input up the ying-yang, and (perhaps in spite of all this) was a good rock album. The problem now is that, on record at least, I no longer care for the product the Aerosmith company is selling. They're well past starting to reek of the same stench a lot of older rock bands find themselves surrounded by: the odor of a group that has hung around too long.

10. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-21-2013),Seshmeister (10-22-2013)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

It's funny but I just lost interest in Aerosmith completely one day and never looked back.

They are like an ex but without even any feeling of nostalgia. Every so often you are aware of them because of some schmaltzy ballad in a film or something but they are the ex girlfriend you don't even look up on Facebook. I think the problem is outside writers, once you go down that route a band seems to lose it's soul. I think it's the same as stand up comedy in that regard, unlike in theater or cinema you need the connection between the writing and the performer.

We need a new word for something that has now been shit for more years than it was good, the obvious example is Ozzy who achieved it some time ago.

If you are very generous and give them until Get A Grip then even then 73-93 93-2013 means this year marks their Shittyversary.

12. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (10-27-2013)

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

Pump is a great album, though. They probably should have hung it up at that.

14. Thanked ashstralia for this KICKASS post:

Terry (10-27-2013)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's funny but I just lost interest in Aerosmith completely one day and never looked back.
    I did the same thing with the Scorpions

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Mr. Wanker, can you kindly link me to some samples of these bands, so I can preview before I purchase?
    You wouldn't like them.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You wouldn't like them.

You don't know what I'll like, or not like. Just give me some fucking samples, so I can decide for myself.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Answer – New Horizon (2013)

The Answer have been rock’s nearly men for almost a decade now. Following the joyous reception of their first record – ‘Rise’ (2006) – the band were feted by critics, greeted with support slots on some of rock ‘n’ roll’s biggest tours, and were hyped beyond belief. And, in truth, they’ve never really matched that weight of expectation. In one sense, that’s to be expected – even the second coming of Zeppelin wouldn’t have been good enough to fulfill the praises being hyped on them around the time of their second record, ‘Everyday Demons’ (2009). But in another sense, it’s inexplicable – they’ve certainly got tunes, and ambition, and they are palatable enough to his the mainstream. But it wasn’t to be. You can’t help but feeling that The Answer are a bit sour about the fact that they’re not a headline band. They needn’t be. What ‘New Horizon’ proves is that if this band may never be truly great, being very good is much more than good enough.

Last time out – ‘Revival’ (2011) – the band sounded a little bloated, and were clearly taking themselves a little too seriously. ‘New Horizon’, however, is straight-out nitro charged, blues-based hard rock that kicks like a stallion. The title-track announces the band’s intentions – as raw and ready as the band have sounded since their debut, the songs rustles with the warmth of old leather and kicks like ageing whisky. The band are loose, and full of piss ‘n’ vinegar. ‘Live With Nothin’ has enough bounce to fill a stadium, whilst ‘Spectacular’ has the sort of hook most bands never write – this is a song which takes the component parts of hard rock’s 1970’s ‘Golden Age’ and re-conditions them for the 21st century. ‘Speak Now’ takes the tempo down Bad Co. style; ‘Burn You Down’ is a bittersweat take on life with a heavy dose of FUN injected into it, and by the time you get to ‘Concrete’ and ‘Somebody Else’ you realise that this is what rock ‘n’ roll should sound like.

In the hands of producer Toby Jepson, The Answer’s bombastic blues rock assault has become rawer and more to the point. Cormac Neeson puts in the vocal performance of his life, his wailing and impassioned croon which making the band richer and more distinctive. The result is something waaaaay more impressive, and anthemic, than more successful ‘Nu Classic Rock’ bands like Blackstone Cherry, Buckcherry and Joe Bonamassa could ever hope to achieve. ‘New Horizon’ is fire-up-yer-ass rock ‘n’ roll to take on the world with.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We need a new word for something that has now been shit for more years than it was good, the obvious example is Ozzy who achieved it some time ago.

I actually think that 'Scream' was a really good record, and I listen to it a lot. Before that, 'No Rest For The Wicked' has it's moments, but most of the 90's and 00's music is aimless. After the first two songs, I struggle to get through 'Ozzmosis'........

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Heaven’s Basement – Filthy Empire (2013)

You have to admire their determination. Previous called Hurricane Party, and Roadstar before that, the (non)history of this band has been one of false starts, confusion and endlessly treading water is a sea of bad luck. The rock/metal press hailed every incarnation as a return to the ‘good ‘ol days’ of ‘70s/’80s rock, but you sense that the crowds never bought it. The problem? Well, it’s all a bit……..nice. They certainly sound like the best parts of your record collection rolled into one – a bit of Aerosmith here, Zeppelin there, a douse of ‘DC and a sprinkle of G’N’R – but the feel of the record is one of striving to be badass, without actually having the stones to do it. Putting ‘motherfucker’ into songs does not a gang of tough-guys make – indeed, here it only serves to throw up that Heaven’s Basement, whilst undoubtedly a fine bunch of musicians, are a very polite bunch of rock ‘n’ rollers. In that sense, they remind you of another perennial British band of nearly men: Thunder. Good, very good, even, but not captivating. Not on the edge of razor, amoral, incendiary rock ‘n’ roll.

Still, ‘Filthy Empire’ is rather brilliant in places. Opener ‘Welcome Home’ crashes and smashes into life in a truly anthemic manner, and bounces and spits with ambition. ‘Nothing Left To Lose’ is classic rock in contemporary clothing, and features a beautifully crafted chorus. There MUST be a market for this, and you wonder why this sort of music is not more mainstream – is the gulf between this and current arena-fillers like The Killers really that vast? On the likes of ‘Can’t Let Go’ and the fan-fucking-tastic ‘Heartbreaking Son Of A Bitch’ Heaven’s Basement toy with the hallamarks of rock ‘n’ roll as they ooze swagger, pinche and…..cool. This is the band they should be.

And then you are confronted by the dim MOR territory of ‘Lights Go Out In London’. Or the fact that several of the songs here are little more than a chorus with side dressing – making the most of Aaron Buchanan’s smokey voice is one thing, but a song needs more than a hook. Hell, when you’ve got a guy who can lay down tasty blues chops like Sid Glover, give him the space to inject the tunes with energy.

‘Filthy Empire’, then, is a patchy affair. But there has to be a place for this band – closer ‘Executioner’s Day’ sends things off like a glorious, straddling middle-finger to the doubters. Loud, rude, dirty, mean and FUN.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Newsted – Heavy Metal Music (2013)

Jason Newsted was in Metallica. Right, that’s that out of the way – and, in truth, it’s the least interesting things about this record. The title says it all: this is heavy, and it’s certainly metal. What it isn’t, however, is thrash – anyone expecting a return to Newsted’s roots will be (pleasantly) surprised. Owing more to the bluesy, groovy tones of stoner and doom, this is an album crafted on simple ideas and powerful melodies. The songs are based more on feel than a desire to showcase any chops, and guitar-players Jesse Farnsworth and Mike Mushok inject tasteful melodic touches into crunching doom-laden riffs. The whole thing, of course, is propelled by Newsted’s tar-thick bass. That thing could level whole city blocks. 55 minutes of glorious metallic BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.

‘Heroic Dose’ kicks things off with a groove-laden mid-paced chug and a glorious riff. ‘Soldierhead’ is sunburnt thrash/punk which rips out of the speakers, whilst the Voivod tinged ‘King Of The Underdogs’ and ‘…..As the Crow Flies’ feature some serious weight and killer groove. What surprises most is the restraint: these are songs written with poise and an uncomplicated approach to sophistication. ‘Above All’ is a fuzzed-out attack – possessing a killer chorus, it has a haunting alt. rock feel to it. Perhaps most impressively of all, ‘Nocturnus’ is a tripped-out acid doom which shows considerable ambition. It’s impressive, dazzling stuff. You might object that Newsted is not much of a lyricist (or, indeed, a singer) but what he does sits perfectly with the abrasive, metallic heaviness which assaults you throughout this record.

What comes off above all else, however, is his passion. Jason Newsted doesn’t need to make this record – hell, he’s so wealthy he probably sends care packages to Bill Gates. Given that circumstance, this could have been a flabby, self-indulgent exercise in twaddle. That it actually comes from love for heavy music means that what it actually is is a killing machine. ‘Heavy Metal Music’ is balls out, no frills, no bullshit metal which doesn’t give a shit about nostalgia – and in judging it, nor should you. With albums this good, Jason Newsted doesn’t need to be patronised.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Asking Alexandria – From Death To Destiny (2013)

To say that Asking Alexandria divide metalheads is a gross understatement. Few bands in recent years have been more loathed than these British second-generation metalcore stallwarts – style over substance, needlessly arrogant, contrived…..you name it, they’ve been accused of it. It’s certainly true that they’re not breaking any new ground – ‘From Death To Destiny’ essentially continues AA’s career path of welding together all of the hallmarks of metalcore (breakdowns, soft/heavy dynamics, angst-ridden lyrics) with none of the genre’s initial inventiveness. But it’s unfair to critique a band for something they’re not trying to achieve – the team that made the Tomb Raider movies were not trying to make Citizen Kane, but that doesn’t mean they made rubbish movies. Similarly, Asking Alexandria have no desire to be Opeth, or to really challenge their listeners in any way. What they make is amped up, shinny 21st century rock records, the aural equivalent of a film to munch popcorn to – entertaining whilst it lasts, but largely forgetable.

And they’re very good at it. The lavish production and studio magic makes this record sound HUGE, slab after slab of power blasting from the speakers. Opener ‘Don’t Pray For Me’ is dirtied up metalcore with a groovy riff and killer chorus, ‘Break Down Walls’ is an anthem (sorry critics) which will make teenagers the globe over bounce of the celing, and say what you like, but ‘Killing You’ and ‘Death of Me’ are flat out slammin’ rock songs packed with hooks a-plenty. There’s plenty of filler – ‘Run Free’ is do devoid of ideas and wrapped up with lavish ribbons of cliches – and it’s fair to say that the heavier the band gets, the less convincing the results feel. That being said, AA do not pop it up as much as their detractors claim – the programming and electronic soundscapes which sit behind each song are not as distracting as you might think, and often papers over the cracks (‘Creature’).

Every generation has a host of ‘entry level’ metal bands, bands who a melodic and hook centered enough to bring in the hordes of young-uns who’ve been raised on anodyne pop. In that sense, Asking Alexandria are not dissimilar from Linkin Park or Twisted Sister, a band loathed by the bearded hardcore but loved by the be-whiskered nu breed. ‘From Death To Destiny’ has to be understood in that light – it’s easily the band’s best record, and if you don’t take it too seriously, it’s also a lot of fun.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

They are like an ex but without even any feeling of nostalgia. Every so often you are aware of them because of some schmaltzy ballad in a film or something but they are the ex girlfriend you don't even look up on Facebook. I think the problem is outside writers, once you go down that route a band seems to lose it's soul. I think it's the same as stand up comedy in that regard, unlike in theater or cinema you need the connection between the writing and the performer.

If you are very generous and give them until Get A Grip then even then 73-93 93-2013 means this year marks their Shittyversary.
    Quite enjoyed the observation of the need for a descriptive phrase for something that has been shit for more years than it has been good.

From a business standpoint, Aerosmith have been smart enough to engage in things that have extended their commercial viability. The funny part of that is, when the band started really embracing that stuff - right around the time they paired up with Run DMC - is when my own interest in what they were doing began to wane. The common criticial consensus is that Night In The Ruts, Rock In A Hard Place and Done With Mirrors were the nadir of the band, but I'd much rather listen to any of those albums than anything released post-Done With Mirrors (with the possible exception of Pump).

When there was a bunch of hub-bub a few years back about Tyler possibly quitting the group, I was more confused than anything else as to why so many people seemed to even care.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

You wouldn't like them.

A Xmas avatar in October, do you work for Hallmark or something?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Five Finger Death Punch – The Wrong Side of Heaven & The Righteous Side of Hell, vol.1 (2013)

5FDP are not, by any stretch of the imagination, the best metal band in the world – but they are certainly one of the biggest. Future festival headliners, if you will. With this – the first of two albums under ‘The Wrong Side…’ mantle – it is clear that 5FDP are striving for global domination and put simply, when you can write this many tunes which are catchy, crunchy and full of melodies that command you to sing, that domination is surely an inevitability. The ‘Death Punch’ formula is essentially to fuse the frat-boy bounce which made nu metal so commercially viable in the late 90s to the testosterone-charged aggression of Pantera which has become the core of all latter-day metal. The results are abrasive enough to satiate hardcore metalheads, but direct enough to connect with the mainstream – who can’t, for example, connect with the simplest of impulses expressed in songs like ‘Burn Motherfucker’?

Critics have previously focused on 5FDP’s rather crass US jingoism and ‘right-wing’ politics – themes which are largely ignored here in favour of generic ‘pro-power’ lyrics. And it’s powerful stuff. Opener ‘Lift Me Up’ is a headbutt to the bridge of the nose – graced with Rob Halford’s mighty larynx, this is metal that makes the world a little bit better. ‘Watch You Bleed’ – a juicy tale of vengeance – is awash with bottom-heavy rhythmic assault and a hook big enough to level cities, whilst ‘I.M. Sin’ hits like a juggernaut and their cover of LL Cool J’s ‘Mama Said Knock You Out’ is so infectiously bone-headed it’s bound to become a classic. You might say that this is a band walking furrows well-ploughed by Disturbed: bouncy, crunchy metal which is controversial, but not challenging; huge, but cloyingly simple. In Ivan Moody, they have a vocalist who can take a tune up a notch or ten and who oozes charisma.

It’s not all great, however. ‘Anywhere But Here’ is a radio-friendly-unit-shifter of truly dire proportions, whilst the title-track’s token balladry proves only that this is a band which cannot do depth – when they do, the results are cringeworthily purple. But you know it will sell, and you also know you’ll be singing it despite your condescending impulses. And, you know what? Sometimes it’s good to give in to your inner knucklehead. This is not an ‘Album of The Year’ contender – but that’s no a reason to dismiss it. Inventive? Nope. Infectious? Like chlamydia in a whorehouse.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Five Finger Death Punch – The Wrong Side of Heaven & The Righteous Side of Hell, vol.1 (2013)

5FDP are not, by any stretch of the imagination, the best metal band in the world – but they are certainly one of the biggest. Future festival headliners, if you will. With this – the first of two albums under ‘The Wrong Side…’ mantle – it is clear that 5FDP are striving for global domination and put simply, when you can write this many tunes which are catchy, crunchy and full of melodies that command you to sing, that domination is surely an inevitability. The ‘Death Punch’ formula is essentially to fuse the frat-boy bounce which made nu metal so commercially viable in the late 90s to the testosterone-charged aggression of Pantera which has become the core of all latter-day metal. The results are abrasive enough to satiate hardcore metalheads, but direct enough to connect with the mainstream – who can’t, for example, connect with the simplest of impulses expressed in songs like ‘Burn Motherfucker’?

Critics have previously focused on 5FDP’s rather crass US jingoism and ‘right-wing’ politics – themes which are largely ignored here in favour of generic ‘pro-power’ lyrics. And it’s powerful stuff. Opener ‘Lift Me Up’ is a headbutt to the bridge of the nose – graced with Rob Halford’s mighty larynx, this is metal that makes the world a little bit better. ‘Watch You Bleed’ – a juicy tale of vengeance – is awash with bottom-heavy rhythmic assault and a hook big enough to level cities, whilst ‘I.M. Sin’ hits like a juggernaut and their cover of LL Cool J’s ‘Mama Said Knock You Out’ is so infectiously bone-headed it’s bound to become a classic. You might say that this is a band walking furrows well-ploughed by Disturbed: bouncy, crunchy metal which is controversial, but not challenging; huge, but cloyingly simple. In Ivan Moody, they have a vocalist who can take a tune up a notch or ten and who oozes charisma.

It’s not all great, however. ‘Anywhere But Here’ is a radio-friendly-unit-shifter of truly dire proportions, whilst the title-track’s token balladry proves only that this is a band which cannot do depth – when they do, the results are cringeworthily purple. But you know it will sell, and you also know you’ll be singing it despite your condescending impulses. And, you know what? Sometimes it’s good to give in to your inner knucklehead. This is not an ‘Album of The Year’ contender – but that’s no a reason to dismiss it. Inventive? Nope. Infectious? Like chlamydia in a whorehouse.
    It's about time, slacker!

I love this album!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Chimaira – Crown Of Phantoms (2013)

Another album, another line-up. You have to admire Chimaira’s dedication and self-belief, or at least that vocalist and sole original member Mark Hunter, who’s been keeping this beast breathing through more career woes than most bands could endure. As with the band’s 6 previous records, ‘Crown Of Phantoms’ is relentlessly heavy, riotously aggressive, and rarely drops below full tilt. And yet, you can’t help but damn this album with faint praise – ‘good’, ‘solid’, ‘powerful’ are the adjectives which comes to mind, but rarely little more. ‘The Machine’ is a typically bruising opening of double bass drum assault; ‘No Mercy’ proves that at mid-paced are always are a caustic proposition; and ‘I Despise’, with its slippery Korn-esque riff, has a certain darkness about it which makes the aggression more captivating. This is not Chimaira’s best record, but it has some crunching moments – the stripped-back approach of ‘Age Of Hell’ (2011) suited them far better, and often here the songs struggle to stand out amidst the unrelenting swoooosh of brutality. Any metal head would enjoy this record, but it is perhaps and exercise in the law of diminishing marginal returns – what does ‘Crown Of Phantoms’ do which the rest of Chimaira’s catalogue, or that of their copyists, not?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's about time, slacker!

I love this album!
    Me too.

The critics are a little harsh on this band. They're not trying to change the face of metal like Opeth, Mastodon or Goijira, so don't judge them for not doing so.

I can see all the cracks in 5FDP and I don't care - sometimes you want fine cuisine, and sometimes you want steak and potatoes.....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Devildriver – Winter Kills (2013)

Somebody needs to give Devildriver a medal. Quite frankly, they’ve served up yet another killer record. ‘Winter Kills’ will certainly not surprise anyone familiar with their sound – the band plays at 100% all of the time in a style which pretty much captures the centre-ground of 21st century metal and lyrical content which focus on pro-power and over-coming. But with Devildriver, it’s not what they do it’s the way that they do it – the band’s infectious appeal comes from energy rather than innovation. And that energy is boiling over on ‘Winter Kills’.

Where last time out (2011’s ‘Pray For Villains’) the band opted for a punkier, more direct approach to song-writing, here they’ve reverted to the thrashier, more brutally metallic type which worked so effectively on ‘Beast’ (2009) and ‘Last Kind Words’ (2007). Opener ‘Oath Of The Abyss’ is ripped with some serious rhythmic crunch which should make Lamb Of God eat their heart out – this is easily one of the best songs Devildriver have ever produced. ‘Ruthless’ is a mid-paced powerhouse with a hulking riff which is ready to incite circlepits the world over, whilst ‘Desperate Times’ proves that Dez Farfarra is quite a hook writer. And the good stuff keeps on comign – ‘Tripping Over Tombstones’ and ‘The Appetite’ have the menace of an imminent beatdown, whilst the switchblade slash of ‘Gutted’ has a rhythm that is off the heavy chart. As ever, drummer Jeff Kendrik is the furnace driving this powerhouse – his patterns add so much crunch and spit into the band’s venom.

Devildriver have managed to be both conventional and utterly distinctive, which is not a feat to be underestimated. Welding the riff worship of metal with sense of gang mentality and less-is-more dynamics of hardcore makes for quite a record. They may never make that true classic they’re clearly ambitious to deliver, but whilst they continue to serve up album after album of inspired and inspiring metal on such a regular basis they deserve far more celebration than they receive. They may ever be a latter-day Motorhead: defiant, resiliant, and forever delivering the goods.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Motorhead – Aftershock (2013)

I feel like a broken record when it comes to Motorhead, but in reviewing ‘Aftershock’ I’ll say what I’ve said about every ‘head record since ‘Inferno’ (2004): this is an incredible record which easily equals the muscular power of the band’s ‘golden’ era (1979-82), and it is a travesty that more people won’t listen to it. Yeah, it sounds like Motorhead, so in a sense you’ve heard it before – but no-one else sounds like ‘em, and no other rock ‘n’ roll band on the planet is as instantly invigorating. So fuck off. ‘Inferno’, ‘Kiss of Death’ (2006), ‘Motorizer’ (2009) and ‘The World Is Yours’ (2011) are not just very good albums, they’re truly astonishing albums. Buying them is a shortcut to living a happier life. ‘Aftershock’ is no different.

You know what you’re gonna get: incredible power, bomber-engine bass lines, lyrics that crackle with dry wit and weary wisdom, and nitro-charged songs which charge at your ears completely free of fat or self-indulgence. That the hook in ‘Heartbreaker’ is a killer, that ‘Keep Your Powder Dry’ is a jaded fist of blues that you’ll sing all day, and the ‘Coup De Grace’ could surely light up the radio is by the by, because it seems the Lemmy is never going to get his dues as a melody writer. These songs - and dozens of others – should be part of metal’s bloodstream like those of Priest and Maiden. ‘Silence When You Speak To Me’, for instance, has more than enough bite and power to match any of metal’s current generation, it’s bone-crushing groove being a suitably awe-inspiring sound to couple to that awe-inspiring title. But, in truth, it’s the less familiar side of Motorhead – the side drenched in the blues – which shines most here. ‘Lost Woman Blues’ takes it down a couple of notches (11, perhaps!), its breezy, acoustic quality oozing warmth and allowing Phil Campbell’s floating melody the space to shimmer; whilst ‘Dust & Glass’ is a truly moving moment – anyone doubting these boy’s songwriting chops, or accusing them of anodyne repetition, should look no further to be refuted. The ominous ‘Death Machine’ could almost have been on their debut – sizzling like bacon, this is music so muscular it has a near tactile quality to it. The gristle of the Heavy Metal carcass, if you will.

Writing in these terms about Motorhead is not patronising. Nor is it an exercise in willfully rose-tinted nostalgia (as it is when the releases of so many of their peers are reviewed). ‘Aftershock’ really is that good: that any band can simultaneously hold the status of Legends and Underdogs is a true testament to how utterly unique Motorhead are.

31. 2 users say thank you to binnie for this KICKASS post:

katina (11-17-2013),vandeleur (11-18-2013)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Avenged Sevenfold – Hail To The King (2003)

If you take this record at face value, you’ll enjoy it. Featuring all of the hallmarks of metal’s biggest and best bands – Metallica, Maiden, Megadeth, G’N’R – ‘Hail To The King’ is a record which has been designed to make arenas bounce, teenage bedrooms become air guitar havens, and FM radio become the band’s new home. And it does all of these very well. But ‘designed’ is the key word here, for on album number six the biggest metal band of their generation has served up something heavily contrived. The results are thus frustratingly unsatisfying: feeling like it is being performed rather than played, the pervasive sense throughout this record is of a band holding back.

You see, there was a time when (whatever you think of them) Avenged Sevenfold were remarkably musically ambitious, penning songs of sprawling proportions and complex arrangements which took in the whole spectrum of heavy music (often in one song) is a style that was unrelentingly melodic and utterly distinctive. ‘Hail….’ – with its hook-heavy, short songs and simple-to-the-point-of-ridiculous arrangements – thus partially feels like another band, and when that change has come with arenas and platinum records in mind you can’t help but feel a little aggrieved. They do the ‘Black Album’ mid-paced stomp very, very well – the songs are memorable, command you to sing, and are eminently uplifting. But they’re also devoid of substance. Whatever you think of the band’s previous album ‘Nightmare’ – the musical tribute to their fallen drummer Jimmy ‘The Rev’ Sullivan which some critics blasted as inconsistent and unfocussed – it was anything but shallow.

There’s also another problem: wearing your influences on your sleeves is one thing, but when it reaches the point of near-plagiarism it is quite another. ‘This Means War’, for instance, is a near carbon-copy of Metallica’s ‘Sad But True’, and as you proceed through ‘Hail….’ you find yourself mentally checking off the points of departure (‘ahh, this is the Megadeth song, this is their ‘Enter Sandman’ and so on). It’s indisputable that the likes of ‘Heretic’ and ‘Coming Home’ have an anthemic quality to them, and that the likes of ‘Requiem’ are as stirring as it is intended to be, or indeed that the title-track has more than a little badass swagger to it – Avenged Sevenfold are more than happy to embrace the mantle of ‘rock stars’ where so many of their peers cringe at the thought. Nor is it possible to deny that lead axeman Synster Gates delivers solos which still sparkle and possess enough restraint to avoid tripping over into ‘shredder’ territory (there is a real Schencker quality to the ripping lead on ‘Coming Home’, for instance); or that vocalist M Shadows still uses his rich baritone to devastating effect. It’s charisma-a-go-go, and even cheese-fest ballad ‘Crimson Day’ (which sounds like something Desmond Childs threw up) is passable in the hands of his larynx.

But you just sense that they’re capable of much better. Often here choral chants and string arrangements are used to add grandeur to songs which the band’s superb playing and writing used to do all alone (see the albums ‘City of Evil’ and ‘Waken the Fallen’). Given that most of the influences ripped off here were the creative zenith of the previous generation, it is eminently worrying for the future of metal that one of the genre’s flagship bands has had to resort to recycling 20-year old ideas to puncture the mainstream. Listening to ‘Hail To The King’ is certainly an enjoyable experience, but it is the musical equivalent of fast food – forgettable and not very good for you.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Michael Monroe – Horns & Halos (2013)

This is the sort of record that exists purely to inspire bar-room excesses and back-alley lays. A perennial shoot from the hip, wise-cracking, by the seat of his pants bonafide baddass, Michael Monroe has always been one-half rock star one-half prima donna. ‘Horns & Haloes’, like ‘Sensory Overdrive’ (2011) before it, continues his later-day career rejuvenation, serving slice-after-slice of cast in the die, gutter drenched rock ‘n’ roll which views the world from one day to the next and always from the street up. This time out Dregen (of The Backyard Babies) replaces Ginger (of The Wildhearts and one of rock’s most talented mofos), serving up quality tune after quality tune alongside lead guitar-player Steve Conte (The New York Dolls). ‘TNT Diet’ is foot-to-the-floor rock ‘n’ roll which kicks things off like candy for the soul, whilst ‘Saturday Night Special’ fucks your ears like a sloppy drunk and ‘Ballad of The Lower East Side’ narrates a longing for the sleazier side of life in a shop-worn, but glorious, fashion. Elsewhere, ‘Half The Way’ is a perfectly fucked-up lil ol’ love song, and ‘Stained Glass Heart’ and ‘Child Of The Revolution’ are bittersweet laments of a man who doesn’t know how to do anything else. Monroe’s lived-in voice sounds richer than it has in years, and his capacity for telling stories adds repeated crackles of warmth amidst the debauchery. If you think his career ended with the demise of the Hanoi Rocks, think again – this is some of the best rock ‘n’ roll you’ll have heard in years.

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Motorhead – Aftershock (2013)

I feel like a broken record when it comes to Motorhead, but in reviewing ‘Aftershock’ I’ll say what I’ve said about every ‘head record since ‘Inferno’ (2004): this is an incredible record which easily equals the muscular power of the band’s ‘golden’ era (1979-82), and it is a travesty that more people won’t listen to it. Yeah, it sounds like Motorhead, so in a sense you’ve heard it before – but no-one else sounds like ‘em, and no other rock ‘n’ roll band on the planet is as instantly invigorating. So fuck off. ‘Inferno’, ‘Kiss of Death’ (2006), ‘Motorizer’ (2009) and ‘The World Is Yours’ (2011) are not just very good albums, they’re truly astonishing albums. Buying them is a shortcut to living a happier life. ‘Aftershock’ is no different.

You know what you’re gonna get: incredible power, bomber-engine bass lines, lyrics that crackle with dry wit and weary wisdom, and nitro-charged songs which charge at your ears completely free of fat or self-indulgence. That the hook in ‘Heartbreaker’ is a killer, that ‘Keep Your Powder Dry’ is a jaded fist of blues that you’ll sing all day, and the ‘Coup De Grace’ could surely light up the radio is by the by, because it seems the Lemmy is never going to get his dues as a melody writer. These songs - and dozens of others – should be part of metal’s bloodstream like those of Priest and Maiden. ‘Silence When You Speak To Me’, for instance, has more than enough bite and power to match any of metal’s current generation, it’s bone-crushing groove being a suitably awe-inspiring sound to couple to that awe-inspiring title. But, in truth, it’s the less familiar side of Motorhead – the side drenched in the blues – which shines most here. ‘Lost Woman Blues’ takes it down a couple of notches (11, perhaps!), its breezy, acoustic quality oozing warmth and allowing Phil Campbell’s floating melody the space to shimmer; whilst ‘Dust & Glass’ is a truly moving moment – anyone doubting these boy’s songwriting chops, or accusing them of anodyne repetition, should look no further to be refuted. The ominous ‘Death Machine’ could almost have been on their debut – sizzling like bacon, this is music so muscular it has a near tactile quality to it. The gristle of the Heavy Metal carcass, if you will.

Writing in these terms about Motorhead is not patronising. Nor is it an exercise in willfully rose-tinted nostalgia (as it is when the releases of so many of their peers are reviewed). ‘Aftershock’ really is that good: that any band can simultaneously hold the status of Legends and Underdogs is a true testament to how utterly unique Motorhead are.
    Nice! This one, like all Motorhead new releases has been in my heavy rotation since it came out, and will likely stay there for another couple of months. I honestly don't have any Motorhead albums that I don't play. They all get their regular spins. Like you say, you know what you're going to get, and they always deliver. My fave Motorhead album is actually the one most Head fans dislike- Another Perfect Day with Brian Robertson on guitar. Fantastic combination of Lemmy's usual Motorhead bombast along with Robertson's virtuosity on guitar.

35. Thanked Mr. Vengeance for this KICKASS post:

saint (11-10-2013)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Me too.

The critics are a little harsh on this band. They're not trying to change the face of metal like Opeth, Mastodon or Goijira, so don't judge them for not doing so.

I can see all the cracks in 5FDP and I don't care - sometimes you want fine cuisine, and sometimes you want steak and potatoes.....
    I have Volume 2 binnie. More of the same. Good stuff. Not sure when it will officially be released.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I have Volume 2 binnie. More of the same. Good stuff. Not sure when it will officially be released.
    It's out later this month, I think - not sure if I review it, but I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Hopefully they'll play UK festivals next summer, as I think they light 'em up.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Vengeance View Post
    My fave Motorhead album is actually the one most Head fans dislike- Another Perfect Day with Brian Robertson on guitar. Fantastic combination of Lemmy's usual Motorhead bombast along with Robertson's virtuosity on guitar.
    I'll be reviewing this one in the next couple of months. It's been on my 'to do' list for ages........

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2023 @ 01:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'll be reviewing this one in the next couple of months. It's been on my 'to do' list for ages........
    Love that album, one of my all times fav, nothing but killer songs. All that I love with motörhead, with a touch of guitar equilibrist

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Temperance Movement – The Temperance Movement (2013)

That this bands are signed to Earache – the doyen of extreme metal for 25 years – is a testament to how entrenched ‘Retro’ rock has become in the last 5 years or so. Whether it’s the shameless Zeppelin and ‘DC plagiarists, the host of rather excellent Swedish retro-garage rockers, or truly inventive bands like The Rival Sons, those with their eyes purely on 1967-72 have been very much in vogue. The Temperance Movement thus walk a well-trodden path, albeit with two noticeable differences: firstly, their point of departure is not thunderous hard rock Les Paul overload, but the R’N’B (rhythm and blues, before it was rap and bullshit) of Free, The Faces and Humble Pie – music with an emphasis on the roll over the rock, and on the less rather than the more; and, secondly, in Phil Campbell they have one helluva singer. In his hands, these all so familiar blues licks seem fresher, sparkier and ooze charisma.

Describing this band’s sound is somewhat redundant – who doesn’t know what the white-boy take on the blues sounds like? It’s certainly nothing that you’ve not heard before, but it must be said that the tunes here are very, very impressive indeed. There’s an effortlessness about proceedings – the band doesn’t overcook their performances, knows when to lay it back, and don’t ruin it by trying too hard – and the like of opener ‘Only Friend’ (think early Black Crowes), ‘Chinese Lanterns’ (a woozy, breazy tune perfect for the post-party wind-down) and ‘Smouldering’ (a searing take on yearning which doesn’t so much blast out of the speakers but seeps out of them) are very impressive indeed. The guitar tones are rich, luminous in places, delicate in others, and every aspect of the performances exist to accentuate Campbell’s voice and melodies. This is the DNA of the music we all love in its rawest form, and come the summer it’ll be all over your speakers like the aftermath of a particularly messy bukake party.

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I look forward to another fine Binnie review.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Trivium – Vengence Falls (2013)

There was a time (c.2004) when Trivium were expected to be the ‘next big thing’ in metal. It didn’t happen. But no-one could deny that they’ve served up some incredible music in the decade or so since their inception. ‘In Waves’ (2011) was an absolute monster of a record which removed much of the clutter of early recordings and focused on putting the juicy riffs and soaring melodies first. ‘Vengeance Falls’ continues that story x10. In the hands of producer David Draiman (aka the bell-end from Disturbed) the band sound focused, their song-dynamics are sharper and more precise; and Colin Richardson’s (aka the best metal producer in the world) mix makes them sound heavier and more powerful than they’ve ever sounded.

Opener ‘Brave This Storm’ welds the best bits of thrash and metalcore into one big, sweaty-bollocked monster of a song which sums up everything that this record is about: intense and relentlessly melodic. The title-track may be the best thing the band have ever recorded, with perhaps only Shadows Fall making metalcore-based music sound this fresh in 2013; ‘To Believe’ is awash with crunchy, punchy heaviness and a chorus which screams ‘anthem’; and ‘Incineration: the Broken World’ builds and builds and builds into something truly bombastic. ‘Strife’ features two riffs that metal’s biggest and best would be proud to wield, whilst the song itself shows a very classic sense of dynamics and melodies – indeed, it is the balance in Trivium’s compositions which impress most on ‘Vengeance Falls’. Even the lesser moments – ‘Through Blood And Dirt And Bone’ – possess a captivating intensity as a result of not being over-cluttered (the band’s chief sin on previous albums like ‘Shogun’).

This is, quite simply, the best album that Trivium have ever made. The ‘best’ metal in this decade is often seen to come from the progressive and avant garde, but it’s worth reminding ourselves that straight-up, in your face rippers possess the spirit of metal’s heart. If talent was the true determinant of success, they’d be sitting with Avenged Sevenfold at the top of metal’s tree, for this, surely, is what the centre-ground of Heavy Metal should sound like in 2013.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Black Spiders – This Savage Land (2013)

Well, this is a LOT of fun. Any band that pens a tune called ‘Balls’ is always going to raise a smile or three, and album number two from British metallers Black Spiders is music to swig beer too, music which will make you holler your throat red roar as you forget all about Monday morning. Mixing stoner rawk, more than a dabble of 70’s classics and straight down the line British metal, this is powerful music chiseled by blue-collar bruisers who make the kind of sounds that made you love the heavier side of the life in the first place. ‘Knock You Out’ is full of swagger, ‘Young Tongues’ is fuelled by a mixture of bombast and grit, whilst ‘Put Love On Its Place’ if proof that it’s still possible to be original with a hard rock take on a love song. Timeless music by a bunch of hairy dudes who couldn’t care less about fanfare, with songs like ‘Stick It To The Man’ you know they’re on your side – you’ll not do much better for shits and giggles in 2013.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

TRC – Nation (2013)

For metalheads – easily the most conservative of music fans – the word ‘crossover’ is anathema. Conjuring awful images of baggy-pants, hip-hop wear, spikey hair and designer-goatees which reigned in the Nu-Metal era (c.1996-2002), it is a term automatically geared to receive a ‘that not metal!’ reaction. ‘Dio wouldn’t do that!’ You get the picture. But then you remember the brilliant cross-over acts, the bands who genuinely widened metal’s vocabulary – the Faith No Mores, Ministrys, Korns, White Zombies and Cro Mags of the world. Hell, metalcore – metal’s most popular subgenre in 2013 – is a crossover of metal and hardcore. ‘But, DIO WOULDN’T HAVE DONE THAT….’. Well, you can’t please ‘em all.

TRC are a British band who weld the hulking power of thrash metal guitars to elements of distinctly urban music – grime, hip hop and more than a healthy dose of punk. The vocals are bellowed in distinctly cockeny yoof accents, which in truth add to the menace. Purists will hate it, but then again they hated Slipknot, too. Yet even they would have to admire the sheer, relentless aggression of ‘Nation’, the epic riffs and crunching grooves. For those with more open minds, this is a record of staggering – oh my gawd I can’t believe it’s THIS good – proportions. Put it this way: plenty of metal bands claim to have origins in the school of hard knocks, but this is the real deal. Deprivation, yearning, urban discipline, there’s nothing contrived about the likes of ‘Three Letters, Four Seasons’ – you can smell the brick and concrete. That honesty is expressed in perhaps the most inventive set of lyrics this reviewer has heard in quite some time (probably since last year’s equally staggering British album by While She Sleeps).

It’s not just the aggression, it’s the force with which that aggression is expressed. ’10,000 Hours’ - awash with the dialect of the current lost generation – is an intense take on overcoming; ‘Between Bridges’, a take of rejecting the 9-5 life for something better, could be a smash on the radio if given the chance such is the strength of the hook (provided courtesy of Tiffany Page); the pitbull fury of ‘We Bring War’ could match anyone, and features a menace behind the metal that reeks of Biohazard. So. Fucking. Intense. And the highlights just keep coming…………………

UK metal is in a golden era right now. Gallows, Bleed From Within, Bring Me The Horizon, Heart of A Coward and Tesseract breaking through to join established legends still delivering the goods (Anathema, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, I could go on….). Even amidst the angry sea of talent, TRC stand out for all the right reasons. Honesty, passion and aggression – ‘Nation’ will be near the top of my albums of 2013.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

I got aftershock by the heed, didn't disappoint . Good spot binnie

46. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

binnie (11-19-2013)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Korn – Paradigm Shift (2013)

The news that original guitar player Head had returned to the fold (following an acrimonious split a decade ago) had many longtime Korn fans hoping that album number 11 would see a return to the Bakersfield quintet’s classic, mid-‘90s sound. ‘Paradigm Shift’ will disappoint those fans: this is no backward-looking, nostalgia trip. It is, rather, the most focused and consistent album that Korn have made since ‘Issues’, waaaay back in 1999.

A band who – like ‘em or loathe ‘em – widened the sound of metal at their inception, and continued to do so with the dub-step infused ‘Path Of Totality’ (2011), Korn show no signs of becoming sterile (musically speaking, that is – but more of that later). Whilst there is no dub-step here, electronic programming is in evidence – at times, the guitars are not the driving force. ‘Paradigm Shift’, then, is a long, long way from the unbridled power of the band’s debut album (indeed, when they come close to that sound – as on ‘Lullaby For A Sadist’ – they sound least convincing) – but, it is also far, far more captivating than the formulaic soft/heavy, soft/heavy song-structures of their mid-career commercial zenith. In short, long-shorn of the Nu Metal genre which they spawned, Korn sound vital again: ‘Punishment Time’ and ‘Never Never’ have a very ‘80s electronica vibe about them, Jonathan Davis’s vocal-lines feeling like something after Depeche Mode. And, in truth, so many of these tunes could be singles. ‘Pray For Me’ demonstrates that Davis is quite the hook writer, and is awash with the rhythmic quirks which made Korn’s darkness so downright eerie; ‘Victimised’ demonstrates that the sheer weight Korn still impresses after two decades; and ‘Love & Meth’ – the clumsy title aside – is the sort of swirling morass of melody that they’ve always done so well. It’s unnerving, but uplifting – the likes of ‘Paranoid & Aroused’ being a new take on Korn’s weird little world of heaviness.

But for all of the development here, at heart Korn have not fundamentally changed. In one sense that’s a good thing – most metal is riff focused, Korn remain a beat first band; most metal is macho-overload, but Korn remain prepared to be vulnerable; most metal is about showing-off, yet Korn are more about feel and aesthetic than ripping your face off. But in another sense, it reveals a short-coming in Korn – for all the musical development, lyrically we’re still at the ‘woe is me’ end of things. Whilst it’s unfair to say that Davis is still talking about his childhood, it is fair to say that the wounded-soldier approach to lyric-writing is a well-worn path. Perhaps branching out here would help Korn develop.

It would be ridiculous to end on a criticism in the face of a record this invigorating. Korn sound epic again – the songs pop and pulsate, and the whole thing crushes in its bass-driven heaviness.

Thread Information