X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

From the vaults: Metallica - St. Anger

Possibly the most maligned record ever made, this album was nonetheless a noble failure. The sound of band hungering to embrace its metalllic essence yet reticent to simply replicate its past, 'St. Anger' is full of experiments, some of which worked and many of which didn't. At times the sonic equivalent of one those abract pieces of art which Ulrich loves so deeply, reviewers quickly pointed to there being much 'wrong' with the album - the stunted, tin-can drum sound, the turgid mix, and the absence of guitar solos being the most commonly sounded. None of this really gets to the root of the problem, however. What this album really lacked was nuance, the contrast of darkness and light, beauty and the beast, which made Metallica, like all truly great metal bands, unmatchable in the 80s and which heirs to the throne Mastodon are running with now. The absence of lighter moments makes for over 70 minutes of music which is as tuneless as it is furious.

Given the well publicsed 'problems' which the band, and James Hetfield in particular, were enduring during the process of producing this album, perhaps this ferocity is art at its most pure: catharsis. Detractors quickly scoffed at the notion of 'millionaire crybabys', but such mocking doesn't really hold any water - the notion that money buys happiness or fulfilment is as disengenuous as the suggestion that Hetfield was not a deeply troubled soul during this period. Indeed, there is a rawness, a primal expression of torment, which seeps from this album and it is perhaps that which disturbed reviewers as much as the unconventional sonic approach - the uncomfortable vulnerability on display here makes for a times unnerving experience. At its best this rawness produced the Discharge riffage and naked vitriol of opening salvo of 'Frantic' and the titletack, and the slugging body blow of 'Purify', a song so heavy it could wind a buffalo; at its worst its left us with the aimless 'Invisible Kid', a musing on an ignored childhood which reaches for profound but only manages to grab trite.

There is little contrived about this venting, then. Indeed, the main problem with Lars' drum sound is that it felt like a calculated attempt to get back to basics, a calculation which detracted from Hetfield's wounded vocals and visceral guitar playing (it is noticeable that the songs sound so much more powerful on the accompanying DVD studio performacne.) 'All Within My Hands' is the latter's finest hour, a beast of a song exploring the depths of a controlling personality which can result from inferiority - a huge departure from the 'fuck the world' mentality so frequently projected from Hetfield, the track nonetheless manages to stagger in its aggressiveness, and may be one of the most inventing recordings Metallica has ever laid down. Although decidedly less aggressive 'The Unnamed Feeling' is nevertheless a mongrel beauty of a song, and perhaps the true embodiment of the 'greasy' sound which Lars so often mistakenly employed to characterize the 'Load' albums.

'St. Anger', then, was a real musical statement from a band in turmoil. Accusations of 'sell out' fall flat on listening to this piece of commercial suicide, and album without an obvious single and which existed apart from any musical trend of the time. It is a hard listen, and even harder to love - but it is a truly honest emotional statement. Ugly as it was, this was three guys making music from their hearts - a limping band, but a beautiful one statement despite all of its deformities. A maelstrom of riffs, time changes and a battery of some of the most aggressive music ever recorded, to these ears 'St. Anger' makes many of the death and extreme metal 'underground' bands sound as dangerous as Lady Gaga by comparision. And it is the song which encapsulates that ugly beauty most perfectly, 'Some Kind Of Monster', which would have perhaps been its most fitting title - it has certainly become its most appropriate epitaph.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Armored Saint - La Raza

There is a hunger in evidence on this record. Like an old fighter mustering everything in the tank for one last shot at the glory which fate has denied them for so long, Joey Vera an co. sound like they mean it. We've seen a lot of that from the old guard in recent years - Testament's furious 'Formation of Damnation' was a career high, and on 'Ironbound' a defiant Overkill set out to throttle listeners into accepting that they deseve far more than the journeymen status they are so often awarded. That gusto is here too, right for the ominous orchestral opening to the record's first track, 'Loose Cannon'.

In truth, however, Armored Saint fall short in their hunt for glory. That's not to deny that there are powerful moments here: on 'Left Hook From Right Field', with its punchy Helmet riff, John Bush sounds like he knows that this is far better than anything that the limping version of Anthrax could currently come up with; and on 'Chilled', a lament for life to slow down in middle-age, the band had created a perfect harmony of music and lyrics. But for every high, there is a moment of mediocrity which blights progression. Songs like 'Get Off The Fence' and 'Black Feet' stall, and sound stale in comparison to the joyfully punky 'Little Monkey' or the tight groove of 'Head On' or the titletrack.

Armored Saint, then, aimed for great but only managed to clutch onto good. Yet that's no mean feat, and they deserve some serious respect. Unlike many bands of their era, this is a musical statement, not a nostalgia trip. This is no retro-thrash record - sure its fast in places, and its heavy, but the band has a musical pallette far wider than they did 20 years ago, and they're not afraid to use it. Grooving in places, blasting in others, this feels like a labour of love. Sometimes, you don't have to win the belts to earn to status of champs.

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Scar Symmetry - Dark Matter Dimensions

A band with multiple-personality-disorder, Scar Symmetry borrow heavily from every possible sub-genre of metal and weld their pickings into one unique sound, a kind of 'Russian Slice' of metal if you will. Imagine death metal vocals spliced with ultra melodic choruses, guitar wizzardy contrasted with extreme metal pummelling, soaring power-metal melodies pasted over blast beats. What is odd about this shameless eclecticism is its coherency - the sheer strength of the riffs and melodies here carry the listener through the bands genre-smashing sound. Yet, the band leaves you with an ambivalnet feeling - on the one hand, you can't help but enjoy the sheer unapologetic celebration of all things metal; but on the other, you're struck by the feeling that it's all a little contrived. Clever, certainly, but over-thought and over-blown - indeed at their most soaring Scar Symmetry's power-meets-extreme-metal sounds a little like Queensryche being raped by an angry bull. Their enthusiasm is certainly infectious, and their song-writing talents are undeniable, but anyone looking for an emotive musical statement will best search elsewhere.

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Iron Maiden - No Prayer For The Dying.

Where did it all go wrong? Following up 'Seventh Son For A Seventh Son' - an album which the band posited would take metal into the '90s - Maiden disproved their own prophecy by following it up with an album which was both tired and uninspired. Opting for a sound more stripped-back and consciously raw than 'Seventh....' and its predecessor 'Somewhere Back In Time', Maiden's ramshakle collection of songs felt like off-cuts from older records than a coherent album per se. Opener 'Tailgunner' possessed a strong hook, but by the time of second song 'Holy Smoke' things were already nose-diving. Little more than a collection of power-chords, the only thing less inspired than the guitar work was the lyrics - by this point, anti-religious metal songs were decidedly ubiquitous and devoid of menace or meaning. 'Bring Your Daughter (To the Slaughter)' and 'Hooks In You' saw the band hunt for pop sensibilities - but the former possessed a cringe-worthy hook and cartoon-sloch imagery which saw the band descend into self-parody; whilst the latter felt more like the Glitter Band trying to score a horror B Movie. There were certainly flashes of the days of yore. 'Mother Russia' provided a strong closer, and silly title aside 'Public Enema Number One' sported a memorable gallop. Yet this was an album which leaves the listener wanting more - more ambition, more substance and more of the bombast which made Maiden THE metal band of the previous decade. It was clear that Bruce Dickinson was tired of it all by this point - upon re-listening to turgid messes like 'The Assasin' (more melodrama than machismo) its amazing that he stayed for another record. At best, 'No Prayer For the Dying' strained to be memorable - it exists today as document of the time when traditional metal was thwarted by its subgenres, when the bands from the underground stole the centrepoint from the stalwarts of the '80s. On the evidence of 20 years ago, who would have thought that Maiden would be more energised than ever in 2010?

Comment

• Jagermeister
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

RATT infestation

Track List
            Eat me up alive
            Best of me
            A little too much
            Look out below
            Last call
            Lost weekend
            As good as it gets
            Garden of eden
            Take a big bite
            Take me home
            Don’t let go

I was really excited about this record coming out as I am a classic Ratt fan. Warren Demartini is one of my favorite guitar players. Also was never able to see them live back in the day. This is the original line up except for the obvious. Robin Crosby who died. He is replaced by Carlos Cavazo of Quiet Riot fame. Also missing is Juan Crousier on Bass who apparently chose not to be a part of this reunion. He is replaced by Robbie Crane. Not really replaced I guess but not original as far as I am concerned.

I give this a 4 out of 5 stars. It’s has that “Out of the Cellar” feel to it. At first I thought this was Warren filled album but the more I listen to it it’s not. Cavaso gets his licks in as well. I was never a big fan of his but no doubt he is a talented guitar player. It has that twin lead stuff in like the old days with Crosby. It’s kick ass. Well produced with decent mixing. Drums sound great and the guitars are well balanced. Vocals are good to ok on most of the tracks.

Some of my favorite tracks and why.

Lost Weekend. Start’s out driving like “Lack of Communication” as has a cool hook. All the songs have some great guitar work. So let’s just say that’s a given on every song except one I’ll mention later.

Last Call: This has RATT written all over it from start to finish. Starts out and ends with a really cool almost EVH like riff. Great tune.

Eat me Alive: This tune make you want to grab the bong and take a few hits. This has Warren all over it.

The only song that really sucks is Take me Home. It’s a ballad that makes me think of Night Ranger. Nuff said. I have not been able to listen to it all the way through. It's just a gay song.

GO BUY IT. It’s good.

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Cool review Jaggermiester - I've yet to check out that record, but the material I've heard on the radio sounds promising, and certainly a lot stronger than the stuff Motely Crue put out after their reunion.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by binnie
                Cool review Jaggermiester - I've yet to check out that record, but the material I've heard on the radio sounds promising, and certainly a lot stronger than the stuff Motely Crue put out after their reunion.
                It's good man I was real happy with it. I can't wait to see them live here in a few months.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

From the vaults: Floodgate - Penalty (1996)

Weight. Groove. Melody. Soul. It's like those words are carved into the core of this album, the first and only release from New Orleans doom-crew Floodgate. Having already fronted one band who were ahead of their time - Exhorder - you can't help thinking that Kyle Thomas must be a little bit bitter that his talents have passed largely unnoticed in the metal world. It's all a case of timing: two years later this band would have been huge. By that point, the Sabbath reunion was in full flow, Kyuss had a cult status and a nascent Queens Of The Stone Arena were making waves. Yet Floodgate's stoner bludgeon was out of place in the mid-90s, sadly. Centred around a huge, boulder-swinging bass-heavy sound which suts sparsel behind Thomas's smokey-croon, songs like 'Shivering' and 'Before the Low Divide' are reminiscent of Corrosion Of Conformity at their most groove-laden. Introspective moment 'Whole' was Alice In Chains covering Sabbath's 'Planet Caravan'; and on 'Running On With Sodden Legs', Thomas shows us why he was so influential upon Phil Anselmo.

Thomas would re-emerge several years later in Alabama Thunderpussy, but in truth this is the best record - and certainly the strongest set of lyrics - he's ever wrapped his pipes around. Alongside Down's 'Nola', this hulking slab of sonic-bombast sat as the custodian of the essence of metal in a scene increasingly weakened by distractions in the mid-90s. A career short but sweet, but a legacy of soulful metal.

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                    At first I thought this was Warren filled album but the more I listen to it it’s not. Cavaso gets his licks in as well. I was never a big fan of his but no doubt he is a talented guitar player. It has that twin lead stuff in like the old days with Crosby. It’s kick ass.
                    Fact is, Carlos is WAY better than people give him credit for. And unlike some of his peers (cough, cough), he KEEPS PROGRESSING...

He's a total bro, and Warren's a pretty cool guy, too.
                    Originally posted by conmee
                    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                    Originally posted by eddie78
                    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by jhale667
                      Fact is, Carlos is WAY better than people give him credit for. And unlike some of his peers (cough, cough), he KEEPS PROGRESSING...

Well they did a great job on this. I get goose bumps listening to some of it.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Progressing is very important - there is a reason that AC/DC haven't made a really good record for 30 years.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by binnie
                          Progressing is very important - there is a reason that AC/DC haven't made a really good record for 30 years.
                          I don't know about that. They just all sound the same.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Exactly - between 'Let There Be Rock' and 'Back In Black, whilst there was a definite AC/DC sound, they devleoped a little on each album. After that they just stuck to a formula, and consequently neve

Comment

• Jagermeister
                              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by jhale667

Oh and tell um I'm sorry about Take me home, the ballad but it fuckin suck balls. Only think I didn't like about that disc really. It's like where the fuck did that come from?? Who's idea was that shit? LOL

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

Well, they wouldn't be an '80s band if they didn't include a shitty ballad to get in the chicks

Comment

Working...